• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz 64

dhom

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2020
I would like to hear from people that do/have owned one. What do you like or dislike? How are they suited for informal bench shooting or what are they best suited to do? Trigger, accuracy, etc.?

I would like to hear from people that do/have owned one. What do you like or dislike? How are they suited for informal bench shooting or what are they best suited to do? Trigger, accuracy, etc.?

I have two of them. One is in an MDT chassis and the other is in the original wood stock.

The one in the chassis has a DIP rail with 20 MOA can and Vortex PST Viper 5-25X on Burris signature rings. That combination gives me about 60 MOA. I can maintain a 50 yard zero and still shoot out to 300 yards.

The other in the original wood stock has the Anschutz target sights. From a 50 yard zero I turn the elevation up about 4 1/2 turns to shoot at steel plates at 100 yards. I shoot at another range that goes up to 110 yards. I crank it up 5 turns to hit plates at that distance.

For the iron sighted Anschutz I don my shooting jacket an slip into the sling for lots of fun with the steel. From a prone position on a calm day, I can consistently hit a 4 inch plate at the aforementioned distances. The hit probability goes down on the 2 and 1 inch plates but I still make them ring steel to a lot of people’s surprise.

For positional shooting with a jacket and sling the 64 MPR is fantastic. Shouldering it is second nature and extremely comfortable.

I have shot the chassis mounted rifle more prone with a bipod than I have the bench. It shoots equally well either way. We like to suspend golf balls with two strands of line through a hole drilled in the ball. The ends of the line are tied to a couple of upright wood strips on a target frame. This keeps the golf ball from bouncing off into oblivion when hit but still reacts violently on bullet impact. Oh I almost forgot; this is also done at the aforementioned distances.

On a calm day the rifle is so boringly accurate. Yes you can get bored shooting golf balls.

So I started hot-gluing paintballs to either paper plates or 4 X 8 index cards which are stapled to the target frame at 100 yards. Obviously, we shoot at these targets with scoped rifles. On a breezy day the misses show up well on the cards or plates but when you get a hit, watching the paint splatter from the diminutive ball is the most fun you could have with your pants on. The clubs that I belong to have a really old membership. It’s the funniest thing to see a bunch of old men laugh and giggle like little school boys on the playground.

You asked about the trigger. It’s the best. Both mine break at 5 ounces. That sounds frighteningly light but I’ve never had problems with them. That’s the way they came and I’ve never adjusted them. Even though they are extremely light the breaking point is extremely consistent and very predictable. There are no surprises when it breaks.

That’s the good. Now the bad.

Their 10 round magazines suck. Don’t waste your money on them. Trying to get them to work is like doing plastic surgery on Maxine Waters’ face. Enough said.

The magazine release is also tight and difficult to manipulate. Get their biathlon magazine release and your problems are solved.

To save on magazines get the Wisener magazine for the Savage model 35 which is available at Brownells.
Edit: I'm referring to the 5 round Wisener magazines also. Stay away from the 10 round versions.

The barrels aren’t threaded so I cannot shoot suppressed. Nevertheless, some of their newer models come from the factory with threaded barrels.

Join this forum. They have lots of information on Anschutz rifles.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Last edited:
Had an MPR until recently, superb trigger, very accurate rifle, 64 action gets criticised as its not a 54 - that's because it's not :rolleyes:

Had both 5 & 2 x 10 round magazines with no issues - not seen this comment flagged but not say I've looked, so not looking to get into any pissing contest over this.

Mag release is a bit poor/awkward.

Ejection on mine was rubbish but this is known problem and very simple to fix, once sorted no issues. I complained the Anschutz and they apologised and sent me a 10 round mag as a 'sorry' :cool:

Great rifle and more accurate than me once you find the right ammo - try R50 or Centre X,.

Had an MPR until recently, superb trigger, very accurate rifle, 64 action gets criticised as its not a 54 - that's because it's not :rolleyes:

Had both 5 & 2 x 10 round magazines with no issues - not seen this comment flagged but not say I've looked, so not looking to get into any pissing contest over this.

Mag release is a bit poor/awkward.

Ejection on mine was rubbish but this is known problem and very simple to fix, once sorted no issues. I complained the Anschutz and they apologised and sent me a 10 round mag as a 'sorry' :cool:

Great rifle and more accurate than me once you find the right ammo - try R50 or Centre X,.
Your criticisms are valid....

I got the extended mag release installed at the insistence of the custom shop. They warned me about the clumsiness of the stock mag release. The ejector/extractor were also "tuned" by the gunsmiths there as part of the custom shop treatment. Nevertheless, it still requires a strong bolt manipulation to guarantee good and repeatable ejection

My Annie does as well with SK Rifle Match and Wolf MT Extra as it does with R50 and Eley Tenex. Obviously, there are fewer flyers with the premium brands but I still get great results with the less expensive ammo

Had to post a couple of photos of my Annies.

IMG_1659.jpg
IMG_1677.jpg

I shoot an Anschutz 1903 target rifle in an Anschutz SBR benchrest stock. I use the single shot adapter since I don’t shoot as a repeater. Very accurate rifle and I shoot several different matches from the William Buck Memorial Postal Matches at 50, 100 and 200 yards. I mostly use Lapua Center X and Eley Match ammo. The rifle originally came in a Silhouette stock, which would make it great for several of the NRL type matches where you shoot from barricades and such. Nothing to dislike about the rifle. Trigger was stock, but recently, I changed the spring and trigger weight is now around 2oz. Very light for benchrest shooting.

I love mine. Crisp 2-stage trigger, smooth bolt manipulation, and very accurate.
When the gun was new, the 10-round mags would only hold 9 rounds. Called Steve Boelter at ANA and he personally rebuilt them and turned them around to me in a week.
Rifle has extended magwell/mag release and is now in a McRee's G-10 chassis w/Triad Stock Pack. Murphy Precision rail, Hawkins Rings, etc.

40CA36EB-A30C-4C70-870C-1C4852A22E89.jpeg

5AE48F5C-D910-4CCF-891B-EA969BED2549.jpeg

93523309-F8B6-4F0A-A931-A003C0BB615A.jpeg
26D844B1-0820-4E9B-8736-6403B652CA6E.jpeg

Last edited:
I own Sako P94s (Finnfire) & Quad, a Remington 40x, a Compass Lake 22lr AR and an Anshutz Mdl 64-R Biathlon (same as MPR with different stock). The Anshutz is my Go To rifle. It's super accurate, comfortable, feeds well, and the 10 rnd mags operate perfectly. The other 22's I own are as accurate, but can be finicky at times with chambering/magazine operation. The Anshutz is boringly accurate and dependable as a Toyota Camry. You cannot go wrong with the Anshutz.

Reactions: Starbuck
Why not a 54? Had 1 64 action because it was too good of a deal to pass up and it didn't shoot nearly as good as the comparable 54 that I got after the 64. The 54 is heavier so if you are trying to make weight for silhouettes or something than I can see. For general shooting get the 54.

If you're buying new, check out the 1761. I've owned both 64 & 54 actions & the 1761 has several new design features which make for a functional & accurate rifle.
t4MTvVq.jpg

HNys2ja.jpg

Reactions: Longshot231
I have two of them. One is in an MDT chassis and the other is in the original wood stock.

The one in the chassis has a DIP rail with 20 MOA can and Vortex PST Viper 5-25X on Burris signature rings. That combination gives me about 60 MOA. I can maintain a 50 yard zero and still shoot out to 300 yards.

The other in the original wood stock has the Anschutz target sights. From a 50 yard zero I turn the elevation up about 4 1/2 turns to shoot at steel plates at 100 yards. I shoot at another range that goes up to 110 yards. I crank it up 5 turns to hit plates at that distance.

For the iron sighted Anschutz I don my shooting jacket an slip into the sling for lots of fun with the steel. From a prone position on a calm day, I can consistently hit a 4 inch plate at the aforementioned distances. The hit probability goes down on the 2 and 1 inch plates but I still make them ring steel to a lot of people’s surprise.

For positional shooting with a jacket and sling the 64 MPR is fantastic. Shouldering it is second nature and extremely comfortable.

I have shot the chassis mounted rifle more prone with a bipod than I have the bench. It shoots equally well either way. We like to suspend golf balls with two strands of line through a hole drilled in the ball. The ends of the line are tied to a couple of upright wood strips on a target frame. This keeps the golf ball from bouncing off into oblivion when hit but still reacts violently on bullet impact. Oh I almost forgot; this is also done at the aforementioned distances.

On a calm day the rifle is so boringly accurate. Yes you can get bored shooting golf balls.

So I started hot-gluing paintballs to either paper plates or 4 X 8 index cards which are stapled to the target frame at 100 yards. Obviously, we shoot at these targets with scoped rifles. On a breezy day the misses show up well on the cards or plates but when you get a hit, watching the paint splatter from the diminutive ball is the most fun you could have with your pants on. The clubs that I belong to have a really old membership. It’s the funniest thing to see a bunch of old men laugh and giggle like little school boys on the playground.

You asked about the trigger. It’s the best. Both mine break at 5 ounces. That sounds frighteningly light but I’ve never had problems with them. That’s the way they came and I’ve never adjusted them. Even though they are extremely light the breaking point is extremely consistent and very predictable. There are no surprises when it breaks.

That’s the good. Now the bad.

Their 10 round magazines suck. Don’t waste your money on them. Trying to get them to work is like doing plastic surgery on Maxine Waters’ face. Enough said.

The magazine release is also tight and difficult to manipulate. Get their biathlon magazine release and your problems are solved.

To save on magazines get the Wisener magazine for the Savage model 35 which is available at Brownells.
Edit: I'm referring to the 5 round Wisener magazines also. Stay away from the 10 round versions.

The barrels aren’t threaded so I cannot shoot suppressed. Nevertheless, some of their newer models come from the factory with threaded barrels.

Join this forum. They have lots of information on Anschutz rifles.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16
Thanks for the reply. I have tried to get on rimfire central many times but, something keeps turning me down. When I try to get a monitor I never get a reply.

• Sad
Rifles built on the 64 actions are good, 54's are better. If you have the money get a rifle based on a 54 action. For "informal" work a 64 may be just fine for your needs. Right now I'm down the rabbit hole on an older 64--trying to upgrade the trigger to the newer 5098 trigger.

Anschutz rifles are like Lay's potato chips--bet ya end up with more than one!

Allan Harris, yes, I will check out the 1761. Thanks

I'll second Allan Harris and definitely suggest checking out the 1761, at least if you're buying a new rifle anyway. I have the 1761 MPR and am extremely happy with it and it has no problem competing with 54 series rifles. I had a 1710 HB ordered, chosing the tried and tested model over the unknown 1761. That was when the original release rifles were out (18" & 20" barrels, traditional and thumbhole stock, single stage heavy trigger). When the next wave of models were released earlier this year I immediately got my dealer to alter the order for a 1761 MPR.

The light 2 stage trigger is fantastic and the rifle is just lovely to shoot, I have mine set around 280 grammes. There are no 10 round magazines available unfortunately if that's a deal-breaker for you, likewise no aftermarket chassis stocks. I think as more people buy these rifles then it will become more economically viable for them to make chassis for them. The only drop-in barrels I'm aware of other than Anschutz ones are from Proof Research.

Mine's had a Kalix Teknik cheek riser fitted by a stockmaker, Anschutz Comfort buttplate carrier added (the stock comes ready to accept this), Area 419 30moa rail, Recknagel rings, Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 scope, Atlas CAL bipod and a D3 Precision trigger blade. The "bag rider" is a new addition, I've never used one before so decided to experiment with a shelf bracket just to try one.

P9240001.JPG

P9240011.JPG

Group sizes are hard to demonstrate online as there can be cherry picking of groups, conditions vary and shooter skill does also. These are some shots I took from a competition a month or so ago and are pretty representative of what I get from the rifle with a good batch of SK Rifle Match (prone off bipod and rear bag at 50 metres).

P9080019.JPG

P9080020.JPG

P9080021.JPG

P9080022.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Atanasius
Be nice to keep this thread focused on the 64, which I believe has been discontinued FWIW....

I am aware of the 1761, and certainly the 54, but further discussion of these two actions should not be in this thread, right?

Last edited:
I did start this thread for the 64 but, wasn't aware of the 1761. Actually it seems very interesting.

I had a 64 mpr and really liked it. Was very accurate and handled well off the bench. I had the long barrel which made it front heavy and hard to use in the field for me. I was able to get many good groups from it. The downside was that I would get failures to extract if I did not use eley rounds. With wolf or sk, I would get the fte about every 10 rounds or so which bothered me. I ended up selling it for an Voodoo and I have no regrets at all. If I were to get another one, it would undoubtedly be that 1761. I was jonesing for one of those bad but since the cost was not much less than the Voodoo, I just opted for it instead of the Anschutz.

Dropped my MPR into a Sentinel stock to match my CF rifle. Used a barrel block to mate things up.

Very accurate rifle, added a tuner. Better than I'll ever be.

mpr.jpg

Terry H Very nice set up. So, what I am getting from this is the model 64 is not quite as refined as the 1761. [or the short comings of the 64 are reduced in the 1761 model] Is there a better quality barrel on the 1761? Is the barrel the same on either model?

Dhom,

no idea re. different barrel qualities? Personally I do not know, but they might grade what barrels they do make and allocate accordingly?

As I said my MPR was silly accurate.

Is there a better quality barrel on the 1761? Is the barrel the same on either model?

Like TerryH, I cannot comment on barrel quality between either the 1761 and the 64 actioned rifles, nor if there is any difference in quality within the 1761 range itself, ie: standard 1761 V 1761 MPR/MSR. The barrel on the 1761 MPR (or the very similar MSR) is not as long as the 64 MPR barrel but it is the longest of the 1761 range at 544mm or ~21.4 inches. Like the 64 MPR it has the bulge with the dovetail towards the muzzle end for mounting aperture sights. The central portion of the barrel measures 20.6mm in diameter and 21.8mm at the muzzle (Possibly similar to a 54.18 MSR?). You guys/gals in the US can get a Vudoo for not much more money as rundm mentioned above, I'm in Europe and the difference due to importation taxes makes the difference greater, a Vudoo will come in around €3000 in my country versus the €1750 I paid for the 1761. The Vudoos get stellar reviews and the customer service seems absolutely top notch as well from what I can gather. Back to the 1761 MPR for what it's worth, the national record for the "Field Sporting Rifle 50" competion in my country was shot just last weekend using a 1761 MPR (50m distance, front and rear support,rifle weight 10.5lbs max.). So the barrel is definitely capable.

You can call Mike Bush up at any time and he will have a conversation with you. Have done it several times when I was in pursuit of mine. Anschutz is certainly capable of anything accuracy wise but the Rem footprint of the Voodoo and the cost of the barreled action being so close to the Anschutz made it to much to resist on the Voodoo. The accuracy of the Voodoo is no slouch either. I have to say though, if I had a shot at a decent priced 1761 with the thumb stock, I would probably jump all over it. You do have to weigh the cost of the mags and such though, they are much more expensive then the Voodoo and I like to keep several mags for each gun that I own. Accuracy wise, I don't think you could go wrong with either one but there are the small things that separate the Anschutz from some of the other top notch 22's. FTE on mine was 1 or 2 out of 10 shots or so if not using eley. Price of mags and ability to get 10 rounds mags, if that is important to you. Ability to talk to someone right now if something is not right with your rifle. I asked about the FTE on mine and Anschutz told me it was a non issue. This would never happen with a company like Voodoo.

Thank you guys,,, a lot of good info here. I have lots to think about.

You can call Mike Bush up at any time and he will have a conversation with you. Have done it several times when I was in pursuit of mine. Anschutz is certainly capable of anything accuracy wise but the Rem footprint of the Voodoo and the cost of the barreled action being so close to the Anschutz made it to much to resist on the Voodoo. The accuracy of the Voodoo is no slouch either. I have to say though, if I had a shot at a decent priced 1761 with the thumb stock, I would probably jump all over it. You do have to weigh the cost of the mags and such though, they are much more expensive then the Voodoo and I like to keep several mags for each gun that I own. Accuracy wise, I don't think you could go wrong with either one but there are the small things that separate the Anschutz from some of the other top notch 22's. FTE on mine was 1 or 2 out of 10 shots or so if not using eley. Price of mags and ability to get 10 rounds mags, if that is important to you. Ability to talk to someone right now if something is not right with your rifle. I asked about the FTE on mine and Anschutz told me it was a non issue. This would never happen with a company like Voodoo.

Do you remember who you talked to and when at ANA?

The 64's are not quite as refined as the 54 action rifles, but as an entry into the world of Anschutz they're great rifles. 64 action rifles shoot the lights out for 98% of the shooters out there. Its money well spent and a lot less spendy entry than the 54 actions.

I have looked at the 64 action. No doubt a fine shooter. I believe the rifles I have will keep up with it. I have been shooting informal BR for a while now to the point I am past shooting 250 score and on to how many are X's. I'll probably have to start saving money for the 54 action or something else on that level. Thank you all for your replies.

I shoot an Anschutz 1903 target rifle in an Anschutz SBR benchrest stock. I use the single shot adapter since I don’t shoot as a repeater. Very accurate rifle and I shoot several different matches from the William Buck Memorial Postal Matches at 50, 100 and 200 yards. I mostly use Lapua Center X and Eley Match ammo. The rifle originally came in a Silhouette stock, which would make it great for several of the NRL type matches where you shoot from barricades and such. Nothing to dislike about the rifle. Trigger was stock, but recently, I changed the spring and trigger weight is now around 2oz. Very light for benchrest shooting.
Don’t happen to have that silhouette stock still laying around?

Don’t happen to have that silhouette stock still laying around?
Deej, I just read your post, and sold the rifle including both stocks today. Sorry for the delay, and the lack of a stock to sell you.

Deej, I just read your post, and sold the rifle including both stocks today. Sorry for the delay, and the lack of a stock to sell you.
It’s been going that way. It’s all good. Trying to get one out of Canada now.

The 1716 seems like a big step forward. I was completely unaware of its existence.

Anschutz Germany shows a LH version available but I don't see it on the Anschutz NA site. Hope they offer that here along with a solid 2 stage trigger.

That would be a nice build in the custom shop

The 64 action isn't as solid and refined as the 54. But the practical accuracy of 64 will be similar to a 54 action.
The benefit of the 64 action is that you can buy it with the very nice 5098 trigger and is superior to the triggers offered on the 54 sporter rifles.
I have posted some targets on the 6X5 thread with a 64 MS model.

The 64 action isn't as solid and refined as the 54. But the practical accuracy of 64 will be similar to a 54 action.
The benefit of the 64 action is that you can buy it with the very nice 5098 trigger and is superior to the triggers offered on the 54 sporter rifles.
I have posted some targets on the 6X5 thread with a 64 MS model.
The 5098 is amazing and that is what I use on my 64 MPR.

What are your thoughts regarding the 1716 against the 64

The 5098 is amazing and that is what I use on my 64 MPR.

What are your thoughts regarding the 1716 against the 64

I have no personal experience with the 1716. It is replacing the 64 action model though.
If you do a quick search on rimfirecentral, you'll find a lot of good info.

Reactions: Nik H
Assuming you mean the 1761 - I put some thoughts/info up on Rimfirecentral since there's very little info out there on these guns. Mine's the 1761 MPR. From what I've seen, accuracy from mine is on a par with 1710's and 1712's. I managed a national record where I live at 50m prone/bipod with mine which I'm still pinching myself over. Here's a few links. If you have any 1761 questions I'll do my best to answer provided I'm able.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1198347
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207659
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169617

Reactions: camocorvette
I had an Anschutz 1813 for years and used it for UIT prone match at 20M and 50M (as well as plinking around the farm too). I believe they are on a 54 action. This thing was a laser. Shooting Eley Tenex for match and Eley Club for practice. Possibles were the norm rather than the exception. I used only the Anschutz diopter sights on it. Heck of a good rifle.

I have four 64 action Anschutz rifles and one 54 action rifle. the 64's are as follows: 1903 single shot in an SBR stock, 1903 repeater in an MDT chassis, 1416 repeater from the custom shop and 1903 single shot MSR. all four have the 5098 2 stage triggers and all shoot extremely well with no extraction issues. do they shoot as good or better then my 54 MS, in all honesty the 54 seems to be easier to shoot well but the 64's all shoot extremely well. comparing the 64's to two CZ 457's ( one in an KRG stock and one in a manners stock) I have I'll say this, the 457's shoot very well for a fraction of the cost of the Anschutz. the bolt is smoother to operate on the CZ's (and 54 Annie) then the 64's. I prefer the 2 stage trigger on the 64's over the single stage on the CZ's but that's a personal preference as I prefer 2 stage triggers. the CZ single stage trigger is one of the best single stage triggers out there and both of mine break at 7 oz's. my overall opinion is an Anschutz 64 will shoot better then most shooters, myself included, are capable of. the 54 Anschutz is smoother and seems to be easier to shoot well but that comes with a higher price. the 457 CZ is a bargain no matter what model you buy.

I have an Anschutz 1416 in a sporter stock with the 2 stage trigger, it shoots great just not from prone. I have a Sightron S3 10=50x. I cant get a good cheek weld. Any suggestions on a better stock for shooting prone?

Mike

P,S, I shoot monthly mini palma matches (mini FT/R)

I have an Anschutz 1416 in a sporter stock with the 2 stage trigger, it shoots great just not from prone. I have a Sightron S3 10=50x. I cant get a good cheek weld. Any suggestions on a better stock for shooting prone?

Mike

P,S, I shoot monthly mini palma matches (mini FT/R)

I had four of them; two 64s and two 54s. I was underwhelmed. These were nice rifles with great triggers, but I just couldn't get them to shoot to their full potential. I had better luck with my CZ 452. Mostly, I think they are overpriced. The 64s should be competitive with the CZs and the 54s should cost around $1500 IMO.

Attachments

• 64 BR Right side.JPG
    64 BR Right side.JPG
    622.3 KB · Views: 766
  • Right overall view resized.JPG
    Right overall view resized.JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Anschutz 1411 right side.JPG
    Anschutz 1411 right side.JPG
    886.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Anschutz 1710 GRS Hybrid.jpg
    Anschutz 1710 GRS Hybrid.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 219
The CZ rifles are often competitive with 64's, depending on the model of each. When it comes to higher levels of accuracy, with the single shot match 54's, which are generally among the most accurate factory mass produced rifles available, there is a caveat. No rifle will outshoot the ammo it's given.

In many of the lots of ammo available to non-testing facility buyers, there is some inconsistency to be expected. (Perhaps even many testing facility lots will have inconsistency.) Some lots of CX and M+ will shoot five round groups in the .1's and low .2's, only to have other groups open up in the .3's and even .4's. Most lots of ammo aren't "killer lots" that will produce consistent results consistently. The ones that are, often shoot well in many different rifles. But no rifle/barrel, no matter the make, will be able to shoot inconsistent ammo well.

Reactions: Deej