• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anti-Cant Bubble Level

BangSwitch65

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2021
PA
Hi Folks! New here to this community. 56 years old, live in Pennsylvania all my life. Been around firearms of all types since I was born. My grandfather and father had a gunshop business. Been in the woods along side my Pap & Dad since I was about 7 years old.

That being said, I don't shoot competitively, just shoot for my own satisfaction and enjoy shooting with my son (23 yrs old).

I recently purchased a Bergara B14 HMR .308 Win. Rifle. Been adding the accessories to get it up and running. I topped off the rifle with an Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 6-24x50 Scope. The whole set up is not "top of the line" by any means, but a financial stretch for me.

Now, I'm as confused as all get out trying to find a "decent" Bubble Level. Holy Cow ... these things vary from $15 Chinese variants to over $225!
So far I've read or watched YouTube channels talk about:
1. Installation challenges where you get it all leveled, then you go to tighten the screw(s) and the tightening process causes it to rotate out of balance.
2. Mounting options ... some have bottom screws (how in the heck does one tighten those screws from the bottom side with the Scope mounted on to the rifle?).
3. Then, there's design types ... ones that attach to the scope tube, or on the picatinny rail below the scope, some fold in/out, some are way too bulky, etc...

My Shooting Expectations:
1. Bench / Prone shooting at range. Not hunting with this rifle.
2. Current gun club only ranges out to 200 yds. Joining a 2nd club in PA that ranges 50 yrd to 1025 yds.

Questions:
1. What is a reasonable (cost, design/function, & quality) Bubble Level out there?

Any input, opinions, ideas, comments are greatly appreciated!

Blast away!

It really comes down to preference, I use a US Optics swing out bubble level on one rifle and a Spuhr bubble level attached to the scope mount on the other. It depends on what you like and where you want to mount it. Most run the scope ring style (vortex is a very popular one) where it clamps to the scope tube behind the turret. If you want to drop 200ish the Long Range Precision Mv3 is a pretty awesome digital level. I’m grabbing one of those soon myself but that’s just for PRS to help me shoot quicker and more confident.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Us optics level

Send it LRP Digital Level

Vortex scope mounted level

Last edited:
They also make a 3d printed plastic version that is less expensive.

FWIW you have a very adjustable stock, get it properly set up to fit you and your scope height. Once that is done use a plumb-line and level the reticle to gravity. If your bipod doesn't have a lever to lock out cant, add one or get a bipod that does.

Reactions: gnochi
I recommend shooting the gun using the Turrets on the scope shooting the gun some more checking the tracking if you do all of that and you’re doing good groups at 100 and 600 maybe you can take your 308 up to 800 if you’re making good groups at those distances without a bubble level you most likely don’t need one shoot it first Dial for distance if you see the groups going a little to the left or a little to the right then maybe you need a bubble otherwise you should be good to go

Get the digital. It'll offer the most range of mounting options and it's much, much faster than trying to eyeball the bubble level. It's easier to mount as it can be reset to "level" once mounted. The actual bubble levels need to be 'level'. Which is not as easy as one might think.

But if you must have a bubble, I use the MKM machining metal version. I have to mount mine way out in front due to my near vision sucks. It's out there with my range/dope card. The digital can be mounted nearly anywhere and all you're ever looking for is the green go light.

I have both a bubble level and the send it level. I must say that the send it level is nice and is easy to see but my accuracy 1st and Vortex work great as well. I just have mine mounted in front of the parallax knob and it easy to see. But the send it level is bright and easy to determine level. I know there is a train of thought to not use a level but I like using it. YMMV

I do not mind paying for a level if I know the specks to compare brands. In the machinist world levels have specks in degrees per foot and you can compare one to another and know what you are getting for your money. I have Starrett levels at $100.00 or so to 1500.00 or so in price. I keep waiting for someone in the firearms world to publish the specks for the levels they sell.

I use the flatline ops "sniper" accu level

20FASL34-2.jpg

covert_main_closed.jpg

That’s a pretty cool level, I like that setup.

Yeah when I first saw it I was impressed. I liked the versatility of being able to use it either way.

They also offer an angle degree indicator that can be attached to it with an adapter iirc

media__49418.1554709281.jpg

Reactions: JasonPaul
I have the Vortex level that came with my scope.
Never used one before
It has made me aware of my body positioning, and it has helped with my technique.
Some like them, some don't.

Reactions: Holliday
I have an Accuracy 1st on one rifle. You don’t really need one. Somewhere lowlight (site owner) explains why…I think his rationale is your brain is already sensitive enough.

But it can help training if you’re prone to rolling the rifle over during shot strings.

I like the Accuracy 1st because the curved shape + ball make the leveling process more intuitive than bubble levels. You know when you use a bubble level and the first readjustment you do is usually the opposite of the way you should’ve moved the level? You get used to it, but for me at least each time I screw up the first few readjustments.

The Accuracy 1st level moves the way your brain thinks it should.

Reactions: buggz
I may get roasted for this but I have cheap Chinese levels on all my scopes. I understand that some levels are stronger and swing outs and all that good stuff but gravity should work the same for any bubble in oil right?

This one works way superior compared to a „bubble level“ , of course only if you trust it …

And it is free

1633299568151.png

Reactions: buggz
Your inner ear tells you if your head is level. A bubble level tells you if your scope is level. If you’re in an awkward position or are using a rifle that doesn’t fit properly, they’re both important.

Reactions: Evolution 9
I don’t feel like arguing with you just tell me this, how did shooters ever hit anything in every position before bubble levels ever existed? Maybe they trusted their own senses?

Your inner ear does way more then “tell you that your head is level”

“Vestibular functions​

For vision to be effective, the retinal image must be stationary. This can be achieved only by maintaining the position of the eyes relative to the earth and using this as a stable platform for following a moving object. The vestibular system plays a critical part in this, mainly through complex and incompletely understood connections between the vestibular apparatus and the musculature of the eyes. Rotation of the head in any direction is detected by the semicircular canals, and a velocity signal is then passed via the vestibular nuclei to the somatic and extraocular muscles. In the case of the eye muscles, the velocity signal reaching the brainstem is in some way integrated with impulses signaling the position of the eyes, thus ensuring that the eyes maintain their position relative to space and the observed object. This integration partly occurs in the vestibular nuclei, the source of secondary neurons destined for the extraocular muscle nuclei of both sides.”

This is not my idea anyway, I learned it by listening to lowlight. And it works for me. My scope levels are somewhere hidden in a drawer or were sold together with scopes that I replaced with better ones.

Of course I own a chassis and arc mounts with level build in in one rifle, but ignore them. They aren’t matching each other perfectly anyway.

I may get roasted for this but I have cheap Chinese levels on all my scopes. I understand that some levels are stronger and swing outs and all that good stuff but gravity should work the same for any bubble in oil right?
They work just fine, I had one but after a couple months it broke (glass actually cracked just from bench shooting) so I stepped it up a notch, then another notch with the Send It level for speed..

I don’t feel like arguing with you just tell me this, how did shooters ever hit anything in every position before bubble levels ever existed? Maybe they trusted their own senses?
Well, depending on the era we’re talking about, some combination of:
  • Horizon reference that’s flat
  • Level ground at the shooting station
  • Rifle that’s properly fit to that specific shooter
  • Time to get into a shooting position that supports proprioception
  • Lots of people shooting at the same thing
  • Distances close enough that tilt-drift doesn’t matter
  • Hundreds of hours of marksmanship training, including weird positions
Are levels necessary for well-supported shooting on level ground with a properly fit rifle? No.

Are levels helpful for someone who doesn’t have tens of hours of time to train marksmanship per month, who occasionally shoots at long distances without a good horizon reference or a level shooting station? Absolutely, and without a level reference on the rifle itself your instinctual proprioception will be wrong.