• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Any .458 SOCOM shooters around? Looking for a 9310 bolt.

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
All- I am looking at building a gee-whiz .458 SOCOM upper, and while I can find bolts from places like Rock River, Wilson Combat, and Tromix, I have been unable to confirm the steel from which they're made. Specifically, I am looking for one made from 9310 steel, like other high end AR bolts.

Alternatively, can anyone think of any other AR 15-compatible cartridges that share the .308 base diameter (.473") with the .458 SOCOM? Maybe I can find a 9310 bolt for that cartridge (if it exists).

Tromix knows more than you do. Buy one of their bolts and stop pretending you are more knowledgeable than Tony.

While Tony Rumore is very knowledgeable and a hell of a nice guy to talk to I don't subscribe to this reasoning. That being said, BurnOut have you seen Tromix, RRA or Wilson bolts fail?

SBR Ammunition also has .458 bolts in stock. Not 100% positive what type of steel is used in contruction. Ive never had a problem with them...

All those big bore AR are useless, if something that big is needed, shoot a 12 gauge slug, their bolts last forever and are way cheaper to shoot.

Tromix knows more than you do. Buy one of their bolts and stop pretending you are more knowledgeable than Tony.
Remington knows more than I do about trigger design, too, but that doesn't mean that I'm keeping the X-Mark in any of my guns.

I have an existing SOCOM setup from Rock River that I've not had problems with, but there are a number of things that I'd like to upgrade on it, and by the time it's all said and done it may be more advantageous to sell my current setup and build another the way I want it. The reasoning behind the 9310 bolt is that if I'm going to have to buy a bolt anyhow, I may as well spend another $50-$75 and get one that has been made from a superior grade of steel.

I suppose that I could always get off my ass and call Tromix, Wilson, etc...

Remington knows more than I do about trigger design, too, but that doesn't mean that I'm keeping the X-Mark in any of my guns.

I have an existing SOCOM setup from Rock River that I've not had problems with, but there are a number of things that I'd like to upgrade on it, and by the time it's all said and done it may be more advantageous to sell my current setup and build another the way I want it. The reasoning behind the 9310 bolt is that if I'm going to have to buy a bolt anyhow, I may as well spend another $50-$75 and get one that has been made from a superior grade of steel.

I suppose that I could always get off my ass and call Tromix, Wilson, etc...

I promise you that Tromix would be the way to go. Tony would be more than happy to help you out.

A 45-70 is worthless? I think not my friend. Trajectory, accuracy, effective range, projo weight/design, +20 other aspects would clearly differentiate the value of a .458 SOCOM from a 12GA given the application is appropriate. But, to avoid hijacking the thread, we'll leave that topic for another time....

Last edited:
What material properties does 9310 possess that lead you to believe that it is superior to C158 (AKA P6) for this application?

What material properties does 9310 possess that lead you to believe that it is superior to C158 (AKA P6) for this application?
From what I have read, 9310 is less brittle than C158 due to higher nickel content, in addition to being slightly (~8%) stronger.

I approach the potential for parts breakage by simply having a spare onhand.

While I have never had an issue with broken parts of my own, simply having a spare Garand trigger group onhand has saved a couple of fellow competitors' matches over the decades.

Greg

Alexander Arms makes .458 uppers. I would give them a call and see what they have to say about it...

I'm new so sorry if I missed something, but Teppu Jitsu...? They gave us the .458 soc, no?

Teppo Jutsu - "Art of the Rifle" - Advanced Firearms Applications

You can just call them and talk to them about the requirements and advantages of different steels in the bolt manufacturing and use. They're awesome folks to deal with. And I realize the RRA is a licensed dealer/manf for some of the TJ gear, but TJ are the people that should be addressing this if you really want to put it to bed.

Just my opinion. I'm new, don't mind me. I also run a .50 beo so what the crap do I know.

I'm new so sorry if I missed something, but Teppu Jitsu...? They gave us the .458 soc, no?

Teppo Jutsu - "Art of the Rifle" - Advanced Firearms Applications

You can just call them and talk to them about the requirements and advantages of different steels in the bolt manufacturing and use. They're awesome folks to deal with. And I realize the RRA is a licensed dealer/manf for some of the TJ gear, but TJ are the people that should be addressing this if you really want to put it to bed.

Just my opinion. I'm new, don't mind me. I also run a .50 beo so what the crap do I know.

You're pretty da-da-damn smart for a Beo dummy.
icon_smile_wink.gif

BUTT!!! what the hell do I know?

.458SOCOM OR .50 BEOWOLF if you had to choose one! - AR15.COM

20 Member AR15.COM .458 SOCOM Group Purchase - AR15.COM

M-O-O-N, I meant D-a-v-e-S, that spells "DavidAR10".