• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any ammunition advice for .264 win mag?

mjsmith

Private
Minuteman
lately I've been practicing with my Model 70 in .264 Win Mag, and have been really happy with it's performance at 100 yds (about 2"..dont use a bench or rest at all though so it will probably do better) Im thinking of replacing the 4x scope on it with something a little larger and trying to reach out to about 300 yds. I don't reload, and from what I understand there is not a lot of options to reload the .264 anyways. My question is about barrel fatigue. Everyone tells me that the barrel in that thing is going to burn itself out after a couple thousand rounds. Anyone know anything I can do to prevent that? maybe you know a less-hot brand of ammunition? or should I just keep it as a hunting rifle and use it occasionally? Im a poor college student. Hard enough to buy .264 ammo without having to replace a barrel.

Re: Any ammunition advice for .264 win mag?

You would spend roughly $4000.00 on ammunition if it stayed at today's prices to reach 2000 rds. You are worried about having to replace a barrel?

Unless the .264 has sentimental value or you just can't live without it, think about selling it and buying something like a .308. The barrel will last longer and ammunition is cheaper and a lot more available.

I wish I would have got "a couple thousand rounds" out of my 264WM... A shade over 600 and mine was done. Though 142SMKs @ 3250 acted more like fucking lazer than a rifle.

Dark Horse

I'm not so sure the term a lot cheaper is correct. Have you priced Fed Match lately? If you can find it your likely to pay $2 a pop. I'd rather have something that would blow the 308 out of the water for the same price. Barrels are consumable.

I priced out .264 at roughly $40.00 per box. I usually buy the TAP ammo for around $26.00. There isn't much out there that is more expensive than Federal Gold Medal, he certaintly doesn't need to spend that kind of money on a hunting rifle to shoot paper. Why not get some time behind a gun with an everday cartridge and save the exotic stuff for later?

The TAP is probably not a bad option for $26.00. I didn't know it was that cheap.

I have reloaded all my centerfire rifle stuff for the last 20 years. To me it would be a no brainer. I'm thinking of a 300 RUM build and even with new brass I can shoot a 208gr AMAX for under $1.20 (not including shipping of components). If you figure 5 firings on a piece of brass it comes down to .57 per round. The money saved reloading would pay for a barrel.

If you reload for the 308 you would be way ahead of the curve.

Just my way of looking at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't reload, and from what I understand there is not a lot of options to reload the .264 anyways. </div></div>

I'm not sure where you got that from. There are lots of good 6.5 bullets out there and as many options when it comes to loading them. However, you will never get the best out of a .264 unless you reload...factory options are limited and expensive.

My favorite load for my .264 is built around a 129 grain SST.

But, if you're not willing to build your own loads, then I concur with the advice to sell it and get something a bit more pedestrian.

I purchased a Sendero a couple years back chambered in 264 to replace my 300 Wby, hunting rig of course. I have had good luck with it. However I would concur with others on switching to a better entry level caliber. A 308 is a great place to start. Save the mdl 70 for hunting if you can.

Good luck.

Thanks a bunch for the help, guys. And it's not that I wouldn't like to reload, I just don't have space to set up my equipment right now. I think I will keep it for hunting, because it's a rifle that just naturally shoots great, and I'd never get rid of it anyways (grandfather bought it and all that)

I have an SKS that I shoot more regularly at 100 yds, and although I haven't been able to get much more than about 2.5moa out of it, I understand that that is great for a military battle rifle. Was just kinda thinkin about the .264 for longer range stuff...guess ill wait until reloading is an option.

Sportsman's Guide has TAP ammo for around $26.00 per box for members. One day I will develop enough sense to start reloading.

I think the .264 is in its element as a hunter. The chambering can be harsh on a bore, and higher volumes of fire would be contraindicated, IMHO. I think the bore life may be more like hundreds, rather than thousands, of rounds, so confining its usage to harvesting game would seem to me to be a better approach.

If you were handloading I might make suggestions about lighter bullets and loads, there's no absolute necessity to shoot the whole capability. Leaving a lot of empty space in the case could have accuracy consequences, but there are ways around it, like using light bullets and microloads of very fast powders, like Unique, which tolerate a lot of space; or filling the space with a powder that burns so slow that a large portion of it doesn't burn, and simply serves as a filler. For target work this might be possible.

Factory ammo is loaded to take full advantage of the chambering's capability, and personally I'd stick with Win ammo. The factory .264 WM was initially designed with a two-diameter 'bore-rider' bullet which is nearly unique to the chambering, as factory loads go. This makes a number of differences; and I'd consider some of the to be safety related. I figure if anyone is going to be faithful to the special quirks of the chambering, Winchester would be the one. For this reason, if I were handloading, I'd be seating lighter bullets a lot shorter, to accommodate the chambering's idiosyncrasies.

Greg

I have had my Sendero .264 Win Mag for a couple of years and love it. I do handload 140 A-Maxs for it and have shot many diff game animals with it from woodchucks to Elk. Love the caliber but wouldn't want to run it in a tactical or Comp match. The overbore would just destroy the barrel. That said I have over 600 rounds through the factory tube and with a re-crown she shoots really well. But I don't shoot high volume and I let her cool between shots. A .223 will do all you want to do plus save you a couple dollars on ammo alllowing you to spend more time behind the trigger where it is needed. Allot of good advice above as well.

Good Luck,
JamieD