• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Any basic rifle courses in New Mexico

Deputy D.A.

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2014
New Mexico
Looking for a rifle course close to home (NM) that is for geared towards the new/inexperienced rifle shooter. I did a few searches but didn't turn up much in state for new shooters, best I could find was in Arizona and Texas. Any info or leads would be appreciated. I was thinking a 2-5 day course sometime between March and the end of summer. Would like to get basic marksmanship training on rifle shooting and also training on long range shooting out to say 800 yards or so.

Thanks.

I see you've checked Az. If you decide you can't find what you want in-state, I'd heard good things about the GPS Defense course out in Az a few years ago. It used to be the McMillan school before some re-branding or whatever. No first hand experience other than talking to the owner a couple of times.
May or may not be what you're looking for.

I'm a Marine sniper and lead scout at my unit. I have been to several other sniper schools including DOE precision rifle and DOE precision rifle instructor course. I'm also law enforcement ( not swat)

I attended match grade as a pilot program to identify local affordable training that my unit could send our snipers for sustainment training.

AAR as follows

To whom it may concern
I recently attended match grade snipers to evaluate the course as possibility to have our marines attend for either sustainment training after basic sniper or prior to going. My overall is a yes.

Pros
Affordable
Conveniently local
access to different facilities
Good instruction
Good pace for beginner
Good pace as refresher for advanced shooters
Flexible to change course up a bit to tailor to specific needs.

Cons
Not everyone can be a Todd hodnett and have a state of the art school with a billion acre ranch. This course isn't there yet.

Provide your own travel
Provide your own food.
Provide your own ammo

This is the overall feeling I had towards the course and have recommended to my training staff that we send more guys through this program. So if you end up seeing my marines there for talk to them and pick they're brains. They'll have a different perspective on life.

Shoot straight!

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate all the suggestions. I have contacted Match Grade and at this point I believe I will attend one of their upcoming courses. I will post my experience and thoughts about the course after I finish it.

Looking for a rifle course close to home (NM) that is for geared towards the new/inexperienced rifle shooter. I did a few searches but didn't turn up much in state for new shooters, best I could find was in Arizona and Texas. Any info or leads would be appreciated. I was thinking a 2-5 day course sometime between March and the end of summer. Would like to get basic marksmanship training on rifle shooting and also training on long range shooting out to say 800 yards or so.

Thanks.

If you want to venture out of NM to AZ, I would suggest Gunsite. Been in existence for a LONG time and has an incredible curriculum. I have taken several pistol courses there in the 80s and 90s. I also took the intro rifle course there in late 80s. Patient instructors and low ratio between instructors and students ensures a quality experience. The course is not about how to be a sniper. It only teaches good fundamentals for the beginner. They also offer more advanced rifle courses but I have no experience with those. I am thinking of going back as I just started shooting beyond 300 yards and could certainly use some refresher.

Good luck,