• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any chance that NF ever makes....

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    ... a target scope that isn't so heavy that it is a limiting factor on your builds?

Seriously, the NXS and BR versions 8-32 and 12-42 of the NF are at least a half a pound too heavy. That is weight that I can use in my barrel and/or stock.

I'd also think a couple of changes would be nice/helpful:

Lose the illumination, we're shooting targets on a rectangular field in daylight. Might save a buck (or a couple of hundred) and should be able to shave a few oz.

More elevation, both the NSX and the BR are sorely limited. Is it doable in the current configuration?

Some people like the side parallax, I'm fine with the parallax on the obj like on my 32BR, and I think that saves weight anyway, as I understand it the obj parallax does reduce the lenses by one. Should = better light less weight. Once I set it I never change it on the line (as long as I remember to set it)

NXS turrets/knobs

Re: Any chance that NF ever makes....

I want a free lunch too...

There are other manufacturers that are building lighter scopes that work. For now I'm going to run my 32BR on my new build, but once I get it all up and scaled I may well switch to a Sightron or a March and add a couple of inches to the tube with the weight savings. Not looking for a free lunch but an improved product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a free lunch too...</div></div>

See me at SHOT, I will buy you lunch.

I think it would be neat if they offered a line similar to their current (or just a few select designs) that used Schott glass instead of their current (Light Optical?), and was priced appropriately higher. Then, we'd have an option to go with the NF reliability without the optical complaints, whatever they may be.

With the higher power scopes you will be limited in your elevation due to how light transmits threw the scope. To get around this you will need a base with more elevation built into it. You may end up with a 600yd zero when the scope is bottomed out. This is the reason I shoot the 5.5-22X NF scopes. That model gives 100MOA of adjustment. Combine that with a 45MOA base that will give you 95MOA plus whatever is in the reticle. That should get you as far as you want to shoot.

I also thought about having the illuminated recital as an option. My brother was bear hunting in the woods and he said he could see the bear but could not see how it was facing until he looked threw his 5.5-22NXS. When he did he could see exactly what the bear was doing. At this point he could not see the recital so he turned on the illumination and he was able to take the shot and harvest that bear. So I cannot say it is not needed.

As to parallax for the BR scopes sure put it on the front. On the NXS scopes. Hell no. It is way too hard to reach to the front of the scope and adjust that with a BR scope when in prone shooting steel or hunting.

how far are you shooting that 100 MOA is not enough elevation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cp3head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how far are you shooting that 100 MOA is not enough elevation? </div></div>

I thought I made it clear that I was talking about target scopes.

I shoot F-TR, typically at 1000yds; be that as it may, what scope do you think I am talking about? The 8-32 and 12-42 models are limited to 50MOA or less. I think the 42BR is limited to 40MOA, and the 42NXS is at 45MOA.

Do you really know someone who hunts anything other than prairie dogs with an 8-32 or a 12-42? That's a shit load of magnification for most hunting applications.

As for rails, I sort of understand that part, I had to put a 30MOA rail under my current 32BR to get it out to 1000 yds. As it is I'm ~8 MOA off the bottom at 100 and ~6MOA off the top at 1000. The point is in order to use these scopes for 308s at 1000 yds you have to tune the rail to the scope and they weigh close to three pounds. The biggest gripe is the weight. These are supposed to be target scopes, most disciplines have a weight limit. NF offers a great product but in the process they have made it in a manner that makes it a limiting factor in your build. There are BR classes that are limited to under 12 lbs (not sure of the exact number, not my game) but a NF at nearly 3 lbs isn't going on one of those rifles. For me in F-TR it's probably costing me an inch of barrel length, or a few oz of weight in the stock to better balance the rifle.

my fault, I saw the NXS designation and thought of the one I own, which is 100 MOA, not the 40-65 MOA of the 32-42 powered benchrest scopes

Look at a different brand then. Sightrons and Marchs are nice scopes and tend to be lighter. If your rifle goes down, you beat them with your Nightforce. I'm joking of course, but that's just the means behind their design because they have military contracts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sightrons and Marchs are nice scopes and tend to be lighter.</div></div>

Weight is the biggest reason that March scopes are the clear favorite amongst the BR crowd. Take a look around the Kelbly supper shoot. March scopes dominate. Almost every expensive scope out there is a March. Interestingly, many cheaper scopes are also lighter so lots of shooters will save their money and shoot a Weaver, older mid grade 1" tube Leupold (especially if Premier boosted), or Sightron. What you won't see any of are S&B, Premier Reticles, or USO. They are excellent scopes but to heavy for a competition where the weight is best spent on the barrel and accuracy of scope adjustment, ruggedness, and ranging are of minor or no concern.

Man, that's crazy. I've never shot at anything higher than 22x, I can't imagine 42x. Isn't the mirage killing you guys? I bet that dot is waving at you through the scope on hot days!
    good stuff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, that's crazy. I've never shot at anything higher than 22x, I can't imagine 42x. Isn't the mirage killing you guys? I bet that dot is waving at you through the scope on hot days!
    good stuff </div></div>

You should try the 80x model, you can see the back of your head with that thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, that's crazy. I've never shot at anything higher than 22x, I can't imagine 42x. Isn't the mirage killing you guys? I bet that dot is waving at you through the scope on hot days!
    good stuff </div></div>

You should try the 80x model, you can see the back of your head with that thing. </div></div>

LOL, those comments are killing me. seeing the future. ha ha ha