• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Any data from 6.5 CM Starline (small primer) vs Lapua 6.5 Brass?

SplittingHairs

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2017
Orange County California
I have purchased a small quantity of both Lapua and Starline brass for my 6.5 CM RPR.

The volume I measured for each case is as follows: Lapua ( 51.5 gr of H2O ), Starline ( 50.6 gr of H2O ). I have only fired a few dozen rounds of reloads so far in the RPR.

Anyone have any range reports for the Starline vs Lapua Brass?

the Starline brass is newer to the market vs the Lapua stuff. You should share as much data as you can. Please include powder type and charge weight, primer, and bullet weight.

No ballistic data yet just got some starline to test at the end of the week. I'm wanting to get close to my Lapua load for a lost brass type of match.
The weight is about 3 gr. lighter per case than the Lapua which is about the closest I've found but it also varied about 3 gr of the random 12-15 that I weighed.
Hope to load some this week to start testing.Hopefully it will handle the pressures like the Lapua, I've pushed some really hard with out issues.
BTW your H2O measurements are interesting I figured it would be opposite from that by the weight difference.

At less than half the price of the Lapua, and 10 dollars cheaper per 50 than Hornady. Why are we expecting this to compare to Lapua?

Well I had some time to do some load testing with the brass. H4350 & 140 hybrids. The results were really good, 41.6 - 43.1 (.3 steps) and all IS-D under 11. The best group having an IS-D of 4.0 & an ES of 9 ( 5 shot group w/magnetospeed ) .360 group @ 103 yards with new brass just expanded & chamfering with BR4 primer. So actually better numbers than my Lapua, YMMV but it's going to get a go for PRS / NRL match's. So I have a really big box of it heading my way.

Lapua brass did not shot anywhere close to the same POI or accuracy as Hornady or Norma brass for me out of the RPR. I ran a lighter charge and didn't have primer issues but I'm not sure the RPR is set up to shoot small primer well. You may need to bush the bolt.

So far on fist firing of my star line small primer 6.5 creedmore brass I have worked up to 42.6 of h100v with the nosler 140 cc bullet at 3.230 to ojive with no pressure signs and great accuracy I have gone to 38.5 gr vaget with same results same bullet CCI mag primers. I have taken the 147 ELDS to 42.5 gr of h4350 at 3.180 to ojive with great results, in my RPR . I will be buying more star line brass in the future

Thanks for posting the detailed reviews of this new Star line brass, its interesting to see and hear about the actual results as apposed to other on the web that just say " I have been using Stare line brass for years in my pistol reloads, so this rifle brass should be ok". So thank you again to you guys that are actually reloading and doing detailed tests on this brass its a great help. :)

It’s on sale at Midway USA right now for 15% off. Both quantities of 50 or 500. Bought some to try out. Not sure how long the sale lasts.

I ve ran Starline LRP with my Tikka T3x Tac A1. I use H4350, 43.7 grain, 147 ELDM, 2.299” seating, MV is 2750fps. No pressure sign....
7E8A5C1C-2FEE-4397-A7D9-5284C4E01CE0.jpeg

FDC07E35-F043-4433-89BC-42C2AC8271AE.jpeg

And shooting 1.75” - 5 shot group at 500 yards. I am going to try SRP next time. I heard it produces a tad higher MV and better SD. The group in the picture was shot testing vertical POI at various altitude and this was at 1500 ft with 12-15 mph wind. ?

OH...and using BR2 primer..?