• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any decent cheap 1" tube scopes?

spife7980

Luchador
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
I have a set of 1" ARC rings that seemingly no one wants. Eventually Ill have a 300 black out ruger ranch that will need a scope, Im thinking it will be a short range hunting rifle for guests or kids. I was planning moving a talos btr onto it from my 22 and getting a 1" target scope for the 22 or getting a swfa 10x but thats leaves me with these rings unused still.

If I move the talos btr onto the ranch then I want a higher mag scope for the 22. If I get a scope straight for the blackout I would be fine with something around 10x but more is always better, I will probably just go with straight for the blackout.

So what are some good 1" scopes so I can make use of these rings. I went and looked for a vx2 to see if there were any clearances still but those are all gone, Ive seen the vx freedom scopes and they look alright. I like that the AR version has an external dial and the tmr reticle but it doesnt have a zero stop that I can tell, I think the cds model they have has a zero stop but its a plain duplex. I wish they had a 4-12 model with the turrets. $200-300

The vortex diamondback tactical actually comes in a 4-12 with a moa reticle and exposed turrets but it doesnt seem to have a zero stop and Im skeptical of vortex low end stuff. And the big windage turret looks like it would easily lead to an errant shot, dont want a newbie to accidentally turn it or anything and the lift up and rezero aspect concerns me as well. $300

Weaver grandslam tactical 3-10 has good reviews, has a mildot reticle and exposed turrets. But they are the big ones and the same concerns about getting bumped as the diamondback. $200

The lack of a built in zero stop would be alright if I cold make a stake of washers serviceable like the athlon or swfa systems do.

Im really not wanting to dump a lot of money into this one. I just cant help but feel like maybe the 4.5-27 midas thats getting cleared out by cameraland would be best to go on the 22 and then just putting the talos btr on the blackout but I dont like having 150 bucks tied up in these rings just to sit on the shelf. They look too good for that.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-argos-4-20x50-ahmr1-sfp/

No ZS but it does have capped turrets, at least it offers more magnification, a nice moa reticle and moa turrets.

Or i'd relegate the 300BO to PB hunting and just put any 1" scope you can get into. If you ever wanted to play with it farther out just switch the scope out temporarily.

That Talos 4-16x40 was a better scope than I expected it to be and I too wanted to use the 1" rings I already had.

You'll shoot the 22 more so the Talos BTR 4-14x44 will get you out far but it's only 14x.

Burris msr

Now that looks like a good contender. Cant find too much hands on reviews though.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-argos-4-20x50-ahmr1-sfp/
No ZS but it does have capped turrets, at least it offers more magnification, a nice moa reticle and moa turrets.
Or i'd relegate the 300BO to PB hunting and just put any 1" scope you can get into. If you ever wanted to play with it farther out just switch the scope out temporarily.
That Talos 4-16x40 was a better scope than I expected it to be and I too wanted to use the 1" rings I already had.
You'll shoot the 22 more so the Talos BTR 4-14x44 will get you out far but it's only 14x.

Thats really what it will be, just put it on zero and shoot a deer in the neck up at 100 yards or so. But I also want to be able to play with it pushing subs to distance just for kicks thus my desire for a turret.
Do you have pics of the turrets under the caps on the plain talos?
Edit: nvm, found it in a video. meh.
1531235150422.png

Last edited:
Now that looks like a good contender. Cant find too much hands on reviews though.

Thats really what it will be, just put it on zero and shoot a deer in the neck up at 100 yards or so. But I also want to be able to play with it pushing subs to distance just for kicks thus my desire for a turret.
Do you have pics of the turrets under the caps on the plain talos?
Edit: nvm, found it in a video
View attachment 6920933

Buying a scope because you already have rings? It’s like buying a purple suit because you happen to have a pair of purple socks to match.0
Yeah but the rings cost more than some of these scopes so I would like to use them. Plus in all purple I'll look as suave as that handsome devil @Terry H :sneaky:

I sorta like FFP scopes, so I am playing with Delta Optical 4.5-14x44. It is a FFP scope with a decent reticle and AO. Kinda old tech but it is very respectable optically and I like the reticle.

It is not quite cheap, but I think it runs around $500.

ILya

I sorta like FFP scopes, so I am playing with Delta Optical 4.5-14x44. It is a FFP scope with a decent reticle and AO. Kinda old tech but it is very respectable optically and I like the reticle.

It is not quite cheap, but I think it runs around $500.

ILya

Does Delta have a US distributor yet, or do you have to order them from Europe?

That’s ok so long as it wasn’t one of those gay-ass flaming pigs or JP tank brake. If I had an extra SF socom, I’d use up one of my extra lowers too!
Shit—-I once bought a VQ 22 magnum because I inherited 6000 rds of ammo. This is ok...it’s the 1” diameter that poses the issue! It would be like buying a Raven arms because you found a box of .25acp!!! ?
Come on man.....I’ve built entire AR’s because I had an extra muzzle brake. ?

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
Better to get something like a Leopold Rifleman like scope or anything with a small windage cap to avoid shells hitting it. Been there done that ruger mini

And then there was a former Lockheed test pilot who built an F-104 Starfighter because he had some spare parts. Me? I plan on following on 19Scout77's idea and buy a Tikka in 7.62x39 because this weekend I found 2 crates of Lapua I bought some years ago from a pawn shop for $400, they were clueless on what it was worth, that I am not going to waste in my Ak's.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Been a couple years ago I bought the Bushy 10X Tac for $149, its worth it.

Thanks for the recommendations. I hate to admit it though but I said eff it and went and got a 30mm Midas btr from cameraland for the 22 and will put the talos btr on the blackout. I actually want like the high power 2nd focal plane. It’s a .025 mil line thickness at 15 which is what the talos is at 14 and I’ve been happy with. But max that out for the day time matches and that makes it twice as fine and for shooting those 1/4” centers I want it as fine as I can. I’ll just rock a borrowed 30mm mount until the new leupold back country rings come out in a month, preordered them from brownells, see how they do.

I went the opposite way of staying cheap as possible, twice as expensive as I could have gotten away with. Might still grab one of them for shits and giggles though.

Reactions: steve123
Well, there is a common problem with the way the shells extract straight into any sort of finger adjustable windage turrets. It gets even worse with larger uncapped turrets. Keep an eye on that. I'm hoping with the BO you'll have plenty of room. .223 or mini 30 would be a no go with that scope. It sucks and that is why you see a lot of these with the scope mounted super high.