• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Any drawbacks to the SMKR reticle?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I'm real close to pulling the trigger on K624 as a local shop has a great deal due to the hype coming from the 318 & 525. Im leaning to the SMKR reticle - I love the uncluttered eyebox, the open crosshairs & dot. Anyone who owns/has shot the SMKR, any complaints?

Primary uses are small groups at 100/200, steel from 600-800 (a few times a year we can go to 1200), and hunting. Will be shared between a bolt gun w/ 260 and 308 barrels, and a 6CM AR.

I like the reticle. Go for it. I prefer the SKMR 3, but these are solid reticles, and your local dealer is smart to discount the 6-24x. Only caution is that resale will suck when the 5-25x comes out. I like the SMKR a lot more than the AMR. Puts the Kahles in the big leagues.

Kahles is not my first choice or my second choice, but it ties for third many times and I like the SKMR, and I like the LHW and I like the 3-18x a whole lot. Khales is a great scope, and if you are happy with the deal, pull the trigger, and don't look back.

I wish the SKMR series was available in more optics. The SKMR 1 is my personal favorite reticle, and I actually regret selling my K624i that had it. Such a great optic, even though S&B that replaced it aint bad itself.

Only drawback, you might manage to lose the dot depending on the background at some distances. You will be surprised how quickly your eyes will figure out dead center though after some shooting sessions. It might throw you off for a second when hunting, but then you treat the reticle as a German #4 and will feel confident making the shot.

I like my Kahles SKMR reticle. I like the center of the reticle and lack of clutter. Shannon Kay Milling Reticle. Shannon runs K&M Precision Rifle training facility. I had the pleasure of training with him at his old Florida facility. He has an unbelievable background in the military and in PRS matches. Also a real good instructor. Factoids I thought some would find interesting.

I have the K624i w. SKMR. It is my favorite reticle I own. I am not one for the Christmas tree type reticles. Too cluttered for me. Have shot it into .0s at 100, and well over a mile too.

Jump on it. K624i's are great scopes. Got to look at a k318i today and I wouldn't trade my 624 for it.

Care to elaborate? I'm curious. Is it because you prefer higher mag? Was it the eyebox? I was just thinking about how i'd like to possibly put the K318i on my bighorn instead of the K624i and have the K525i on my match gun.

The only way Id pick it over a 624 would be if if I were trying to build a lighter gun. For me the turret clicks were to close together and harder to read. Dont get me wrong its a great little scope, I was just turned off pretty quick when I started dialing turrets.

When having to change your dope for 5 or 6 different targets in 60 or 90 seconds, having turrets that are easy to adjust and see quickly are something that I think are more important than CA or image clarity. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
    The only way Id pick it over a 624 would be if if I were trying to build a lighter gun. For me the turret clicks were to close together and harder to read. Dont get me wrong its a great little scope, I was just turned off pretty quick when I started dialing turrets.

When having to change your dope for 5 or 6 different targets in 60 or 90 seconds, having turrets that are easy to adjust and see quickly are something that I think are more important than CA or image clarity. Just my opinion.

I hear ya. Has me wondering about those 16 Mil turrets now. The spacing is already pretty tight on the 14 mil turrets on the k624i.

New to the forum here, and I've been using the 624i with the SKMR3 now for about 5 months. By all accounts, a great reticle and a great optic. Strelok Pro works perfect with it too. Had it out to 1200 with every expectation met, Very pleased with Kahles.

Reactions: davidwiz