• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any electricians in here ?

XP1K

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2017
Texas
I've got a late 80's jet metal lathe that was wired 110v but has the option to be wired 220v. I'd like to switch it to 220v so I draw less amps in my shop.

I dont have a manual for the machine bit there are diagrams on the switch housing and the motor. I can't make any sense out of the one on the motor but the one on the switch seemed simple enough except for one thing.

For 110v it uses 5 wires. For 220v it only uses 4. I followed the diagram on the switch, plugged it in, no pops, sizzles or smoke so hey were good. Threw the switch in forward, nothing. Go to reverse and it makes a pretty good humm but doesn't turn. Almost acts like a bad capacitor but it ran fine before the rewire.

Apparently this motor has three sets of windings in it. One forward, one reverse and a starter winding.

I'll post some pics of how it was wired 110v and a sketchy drawing of how I have it now as well as the diagrams on the machine.

20220501_095421.jpg

How it is now.

20220501_112341.jpg
20220501_112359.jpg

How did the motor pic end up upside down?
I followed the switch housing drawing.

do you see the numbers in the black plastic where the wires go into the motor?

send me your cell # in a message

Last edited:
Yes. Can't really get a pic of it now though. The chicken scratch drawing I made has the wire color and corresponding letters and numbers on it.