• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any experience with the Razor LHT 4.5-22? Vs Burris HD 5-25

Montany_Logger

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2022
Missoula, MT
I'm trying to decide on a scope for a 7mm PRC and pretty much have it narrowed down to these two. I own one signature HD in sfp and I like it quite a bit but it's BIG for a hunting rifle. I can't find a higher magnification LHT to look through locally but I have looked through the 3-15 in a store. I'm specifically looking at the Burris in ffp and have not handled one of those. I really like the weight and sleeker profile of the vortex but again haven't handled the actual model I want. Veracity is out due to no illuminated reticle. Appreciate all opinions on the matter.
Charlie

There's several threads on here about the LHT with positive reviews. I had one and loved it, only sold it because it was just too much optic for the rifle it was on. If you read the reviews from the fudds on rokslide they'll tell you that they won't hold zero because of some flawed test that any scope could fail, the optic is solid though.

I have no experience with that Burris but I had some fullfields (still have one) and an XTR2 and I wouldn't buy a Burris again.

Reactions: YotaEer
I have the 4.5-22 lht. It has been an alright scope. I feel like the intent was to replace the amg. The glass is as good or better and so far the reliability is better. The turrets feel like shit, but are usable. I also don't love the illumination set-up but it works.

I have several burris scopes and actually like them for their reliability. The glass quality has gotten better over time. I don't have any experience with the signature hd line, but I have an xtr ii, a US made xtr iii, and an xtr pro. All have been beat on and continue to work without breaking. The glass on the xtr3 is serviceable and the pro is quite good. People bitch about the xtr2 but I sent mine in under warranty and it came back better than some razor gen 2s (depends on luck of the draw with sample variation). All continue to track reliably and hold zero after being used on match rifles for multiple seasons. (except the pro. All is good, but only used it to hunt last fall and in a fee matches so far this year.)

I don't know which way to steer you. The glass in the upper end burris scopes had become pretty good with the lht=xtr3<xtr pro. I used a razor amg for a long time and had several reliability issues. All were handled well by Vortex. I have not had the lht long, but so far so good. It has been babied so not really tested. The Burris scopes have been accidentally dropped several times, sometimes hard, and have remained reliable.

I honestly think both scopes would serve you well. Both companies are easy to deal with, but Vortex is better. Burris is very good, but the level of customer service at Vortex is exceptional, so much so that I think it could be matched, but not beat.

I have been looking at the 3-15 as I am hoping to build a hunting rifle this year. I really want the 50mm objective, but I refuse to spend that kind of money on a retarded BDC reticle.
WTF Vortex?
You have an excellent reticle in the 42mm and the 4.5-22 but put a fucked up reticle in the one scope most would want for hunting.
My search continues for something useful

Reactions: Montany_Logger
If you prefer FFP, the 4.5-22x LHT is the best hunting optic for the money. Good glass, FOV, reticle and DOF. Only downside is the feel of the turrets but they track and are easy to set. Illumination button isn’t my preferred style but it’s bright.

Reactions: Montany_Logger
I love confirmation bias! I have always used sfp for hunting but as I have been stretching my shooting to 1000 lately I am seeing the advantage of ffp.

I have been looking at the 3-15 as I am hoping to build a hunting rifle this year. I really want the 50mm objective, but I refuse to spend that kind of money on a retarded BDC reticle.
WTF Vortex?
You have an excellent reticle in the 42mm and the 4.5-22 but put a fucked up reticle in the one scope most would want for hunting.
My search continues for something useful

They made some 50’s with the same reticle as the 42. I believe it was a Euro Optic exclusive. They pop up from time to time used.

Reactions: bogey
I have the LHT 4.5-22 and will echo what everyone else on here has said so far: good glass, good reticle, turrets that don't feel great but that are usable and track and a less than ideal illum switch but otherwise good illum. I don't know that there is anything else out there at it's weight (22oz iirc) with the same feature set. I've used mine both to hunt and to shoot out to just shy of 1k yards. Works great in both applications.

I have a 4.5-22 lht, been on a few mountain hunts, killed a stone and desert sheep with it. Have spun the turrets lots in practice out to 1200. I have only turned the illumination on to see it worked, never hunting. Yes could be a little better set up but would serve is purpose.
Can't tell you how zero was after desert hunt and getting banged around a bunch. But killed my sheep at just short of 500. And had to shoot left handed as a suppressor failure when prone back a couple months snapped my right collar bone.
Shot it the other day but with a different bullet and was good to 500. Taking it barren ground grizz and musk ox Friday

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1663536528427.jpg
    FB_IMG_1663536528427.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Resized952022102895120332955948.jpg
    Resized952022102895120332955948.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230102_083528.jpg
    20230102_083528.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230213_104739.jpg
    20230213_104739.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I have a 4.5-22 lht, been on a few mountain hunts, killed a stone and desert sheep with it. Have spun the turrets lots in practice out to 1200. I have only turned the illumination on to see it worked, never hunting. Yes could be a little better set up but would serve is purpose.
Can't tell you how zero was after desert hunt and getting banged around a bunch. But killed my sheep at just short of 500. And had to shoot left handed as a suppressor failure when prone back a couple months snapped my right collar bone.
Shot it the other day but with a different bullet and was good to 500. Taking it barren ground grizz and musk ox Friday

So I gotta know - what kind of failure did that to your collar bone?

Weld failed and baffle stack went someplace,( looked for an hour before going to er) bullet was on target as expected

Love my 4.5-22 LHT. Planning on getting another. I've used it for hunting as well as targets. Made kills at dark without the illumination turned on as well. Great crossover scope.

Thanks all, this is the push I was needing. I like my Burris 5-25 and think it's great for the money but it is a CHONKER. I think I will order up the vortex

Reactions: RFutch