• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any F1 racing fans?

Checo def deserved the RBR seat. Not too many drivers can take that seat and make it work. Too much pressure at RBR. It's like Valterri when he took over the second seat in Mercedes. Not the top driver but will consistently score points for you.

Reactions: eflyguy
Checo def deserved the RBR seat. Not too many drivers can take that seat and make it work. Too much pressure at RBR. It's like Valterri when he took over the second seat in Mercedes. Not the top driver but will consistently score points for you.
No disagreement there; and he and Max seem to get along. Very important in team chemistry. He's not consistent; but a good driver. Another year and maybe he'll be a more solid teammate. I'd say he's as good of driver as RBR needs in #2; just needs more consistency in qualifying. I'd say he's as good as Lando, but not as good as Sainz (who's on fire lately). In reality, he's probably 3rd best "#2" man.

Of course, WTF do I know. I have no clue how hard it is to drive those cars without anybody else on track; let alone that freaking standing start and how to prep tires for quali and all that jazz.

However, that said, I do think Seb has been downhill since that 2018 crash. Also while no dislike for ALO he is devisive (apparently) and I don't think the "we need a former F1 champ to help us develop" is that smart of strategy on Papa Stroll's part. The others I mentioned...Ricciardo (always overrated for "last of the late brakers"), Latifi and Tsunoda are not in the same league as some of these F-2 guys they've tested. I'm on the fence with Schumacher. If he cannot do better next year, he needs to go to sports car racing or something. No shame in being a top LeMans prototype driver.

Reactions: Charlie112
6FFCC6D8-2C99-4A90-8ED2-892DFE1E49B5.jpeg

Starting to sound like a broken record. Ferrari worst enemy is themselves. Surely they are going to finish 3rd in the constructors championship at this point.

Wondering who will replace ALO. LEC would be appropriate but then who would back-fill him? I can't think of anyone deserving of the red seat. Also can't wait to hear that HAM is out this year, but who would fill that seat?

Ferrari strategists (in your best Italian accent): “It is pronounced screw-de-ria”.

What a shitshow.

They used to blame it all on Arrivabene, but apparently it is systematic.

Was a weird race to watch yesterday. Everything seemed off. Not sure if it was the cooler temps or just poor strategy on tires. I thought those shooting for a one stop would have had better finishes. Impressive Max came back and won, even with a spin out. Still rooting for Haas to get out of the bottom third. They are so damn close, but just can't seem to produce. The difference between Riccardo and Norris is very telling that its the driver and not the car. Even though they keep saying they will keep him around another year I just don't see McClaren not moving in another direction.

Reactions: BytorJr
McLaren doesn't have final say in Danny Ric coming back or not. Ricciardo has final say. Odd, but that is how his contract is written.

Was traveling yesterday. Didn't see this.

WRONG ANSWER LAWRENCE....ALO is a divider, not a uniter. Aston needs to be looking at somebody with about 10 years experience; but I suspect that's too close to Lance's experience to be comfortable for Lawrence. Either that, or put a young buck in there and let Lance be #1 driver.

Surprised there wasn't more chatter here re: Alonzo jumping to Austin. I see Mc just said they are dropping Danny Ric for Piastri. I wondered if that was what was happening when he tweeted out he won't be driving for Alpine as soon as Alpine said they were bringing him up to replace Alonzo.

And second thought is I doubt anyone will pick up Riccardo. His days in F1 may be done. Unless alpine picks him up to replace Alo. But Ric kind of burned that bridge at Renault when he jumped to McClaren. Not sure if Alpine will welcome home back.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was following Alonzo moving to Aston Martin, but it certainly didn't impress me. For Alonso, it seems a bit of a downgrade from Alpine. I don't mean for this to sound critical, but I think he is simply trying to stay relevant. I would guess that driving for any Lawrence Stroll team would be un-fun. I do think Alonso is still a "decent" driver......a bit long in the tooth perhaps, but he still shows moments of great ability.....his problem is that he cannot consistently string those moments together.

I thought Piastri slapping down Alpine's announcement was pretty bold and he obviously had some first hand knowledge that McLaren was going to buy out Danny Ric's contract. I certainly understand Piastri's inclination. I'd rather drive for McLaren than Alpine, but that may be my bias talking.

Will Danny Ric get a seat? He might. He does have a lot of experience. His stock has certainly crashed, but he is definitely a better driver than, say, Latifi.

Let's face it: this is just me running my mouth because they can all drive better than me. Ha ha ha.

And second thought is I doubt anyone will pick up Riccardo. His days in F1 may be done. Unless alpine picks him up to replace Alo. But Ric kind of burned that bridge at Renault when he jumped to McClaren. Not sure if Alpine will welcome home back.
However, the team principles are not the same at Alpine as they were. So that could play. However, now that poor little Schumacher is in on this mix this shall prove interesting.

I don't get the love of Ricciardo's skill on these F-1 boards though (like planetf1.com, motorsportmagazine.com). He's been routinely beat by his teammates EXCEPT at Renault and the 2017 season at RBR where both he and Max had massive engine reliability issues with the Renaults. For whatever reason he left Renault/Alpine and cannot get it together.

I will have to say that I was a big Renault fan, even thought they couldn't put it together. Loved that yellow and black livery and they always seemed to just be on the cusp of getting it together. Ric definetly dropped after leaving Renault and I too don't understand the love he gets. Season after season of failing to produce results should slow it, but it doesn't. Must be his love of shoeies and just being the class clown that gets him so many fans.

SCH would be a good grab for Alpine. Icon has enough experience in F1 to be senior driver for them. Not sure who Haas would find if they even stay in F1. Maybe a young buck out of F2. Or someone who's daddy has a ton of money and can bring cash infusion to Haas.

ALO, RIC, STRO(wishful thinking) LAT(good as gone) all need to go to make room for younger talent. Alonso and Ricciardo are not going to challenge for championships and way past their primes.

Danny Ric's appeal is that he is experienced, not terrible, and is one of the most likeable personalities on the grid.
However, this is the big leagues and you have to be able to produce.

The thing that's weird is there are only 4 or maybe 5 teams that are ever in podium contention (for the most part). Usually, if one of the other 5 or 6 teams podium, it was a fluke (wet race, big crash, or multiple retirements). I've always wondered what these "bottom half" teams use as a benchmark for their drivers' performance. They know wins and podiums are the longest of long shots, so what is their motivation? Danny Ric might be an appealing candidate for them because he does have a loyal fan following (even if that following is not based upon his on-track performance).

While I like him, Mick hasn't exactly set the world on fire driving the Haas, even though the car has been decent this year.

If I'm Alpine, why would I want MSC other than name recognition?

de Vries replaces Latifi at Williams...not quite sure why this hasn't been announced yet.

Danny to Alpine makes sense as does Mick staying with Haas...but RICdecides to hang it up or come to 'Murica and do Indycar then maybe Mick to Alpine and Logan Seargant to Haas?

Kinda hope Zhou keeps his Alfa seat next year, he's been pretty good for a rookie when the car hasn't failed him.

Supposedly Danny Ric is a big time NASCAR nut.
I wonder if he would try to make that leap. The NASCAR fans would love him.

Interesting, like Max or not...about his driving style:

confirms why his teammates struggle. Max likes a "social" car. One I'd imagine is at limit of stability and Max is the control law that makes it stable. Almost like flying F-16 with no digital controller.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Well, Riccardo is gone from McLaren at the end of this season. Wonder where he will end up? Alpine to replace ALO perhaps? Lots of mid season break moves going on. I am not surprised McL went separate ways with Riccardo. He just hasn't been able to produce and we have been debating about him most of this year and the general consensus is that he is an overrated driver who can pull in fans.

It was predicted by the commentary team on the F1 Nation podcast this week, and Alpine has been suggested.

What the heck is a FIFA pack?

Merc/AMG just put up a 5min overview of the ICE, with one out on a table. Amazing how compact it is.

Well, that was fun. One of the most enjoyable races I've watched..
Have to agree, lots of fun watching. One of the best race’s yet. Don’t know what I actually enjoyed more, Max driving like MS in his best time or the dick head out in the first lap… 😂. Should be a great race next weekend in Zandvoort too. Wish I could be there, always liked this place close to the beach. Had many great weekends there in the late 80’s early 90’s.

Spa is a great track. The race was great to watch and one of the best this season so far. Seeing the pace that Max had in that RB and his charge back to the front was impressive. He was in the zone yesterday and after the parts swaps that RB was a screaming machine.

Keep Spa forever, alternate Miami and Vegas every other year.

Real circuits >>> street circuits

(shitcan Monaco while we're at it, its historic but the actual racing sucks)

There are plenty of actual race tracks in the US but unfortunately very few are set up to host something on the scale of F1.

The ones I can think that could potentially host the teams are not set up for the kind of crowds it would attract.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotjoe
(shitcan Monaco while we're at it, its historic but the actual racing sucks)
I'd rather watch a race @ Monaco than Miami or Vegas.

Just me. I think all street circuits suck and I had an opportunity to go to Monaco and declined. All races suck to be honest, go to the circus once just to experience it. Otherwise, TV coverage is way better than watching a parade every minute.

There are plenty of actual race tracks in the US but unfortunately very few are set up to host something on the scale of F1.

The ones I can think that could potentially host the teams are not set up for the kind of crowds it would attract.
So, since we're all in agreement street tracks suck for the most part (Baku may be an exception) which tracks in the USA would be good for F1, crowds be damned. (I think we had this discussion earlier ;) ).

The fact that SPA is on the potential cutting board is sad. As much as people hate on Christian Horner, he's right, at all costs keep Silverstone, Spa, and Monza (though I'm not a huge Monza fan, I accept it for what it is) on the calendar.

Truly entertaining yesterday. However, the Mercedes/Crybaby lovers will call foul over Yuki. I don't even know where to start with Crybaby. Saddens me to think Merc may be getting it right. But he found himself in same position as in Abu Dhabi and again, lost out. Sky folks saying they should not be allowed tire changes during VSC or SC was actually (if I heard correctly) NOT supported by Toto.

Crybaby did a lot of the damage himself. PlanetF1 reporting the one obvious thing...towing Max down the straight and the other was that Hamilton had again flipped some engine mode to the wrong one. I think FINALLY Crybaby is beginning to realize that his shit stinks too and is not some pile of fragrant pot pourri because George is owning him this year. Confirming, in my mind what I said all along: Had Max had Louis' car in 2018-2020 he'd be a 4x world champ by now.

Most telling was how George was chummy to Max during the post race. Almost like...hahah...I did the same thing you did last year.

Ferrari...Mattia better brush off his CV.

Finally, speaking of Red Bull - c'mon Checo - GET IT TOGETHER!!!

The whole Sky broadcast Crofty was talking about how Mercedes could have won the race. And I am thinking to myself, do they know who is driving in the RBR? Mercedes knew they don't have the car to challenge, they would have to win on strategy, even Toto said this.

At this point Daniel Ricciardo has mailed it in. How do you finish 17th out of 18 finishing cars?

Nico Rosberg calling as it is. :LOL: I really am enjoying Ferrari fucking themselves week in and week out. At this point, it's not a matter if they are going to screw their drivers, it's a matter of when every single weekend.

I particularly chuckled at "maybe teams shouldn't be allowed to change tires during a safety car" bit.

I enjoyed it. A guy on another forum that has never mentioned F1 before said how dull it was. 🤣

The reason the Sky crew are so pro-HAM is they are all from the UK. The former racer commentators (BUT & DIR) are more objective.

I enjoyed it. A guy on another forum that has never mentioned F1 before said how dull it was. 🤣

The reason the Sky crew are so pro-HAM is they are all from the UK. The former racer commentators (BUT & DIR) are more objective.
I enjoyed Jenson's broadcast over that hack Brundle. DiResta, Chandhok and Davidson are all objective. I really struggle even listening to puff boy Nico. Granted, I remember cheering him on over Crybaby.

I do think a lot of folks look at F-1 only as the race. There is SO much more that goes on every weekend even more hard core F-1 junkies don't see. That's what is fascinating...and no, I don't watch that made-for-drama show DTS. It's always been what I'd call a "male soap opera."

Oh, and yes...Ricciardo...done with F-1 if the report he's taking a year off is correct. With all this real talent coming, he won't get back in. It's NOT the car. Checo's situation it may be the car...just like it was with Albon who I think still deserves better than Williams.

Ricciado should go home and drive the Supercars Championship. Bunch of talented drivers in SC V8s.
This guy has always been overrated IMO. "King of the late brakers." So he had one skill that defined him. Good bye Danny Ric - time to move to Supercars, IMSA/LeMans or IndyCar. Seriously, he'd get his butt handed to him in IndyCar as well. Maybe IMSA GTD Pro is more his skillset.

A year as Merc reserve driver with a view to becoming a Merc driver in 2024?

Holy fuck. There are plenty of drivers more deserving of that seat than him!

So, since we're all in agreement street tracks suck for the most part (Baku may be an exception) which tracks in the USA would be good for F1, crowds be damned. (I think we had this discussion earlier ;) ).

Many drivers over the years have compared Road America with Spa, with great elevation change, a variety of corners, and a couple of decent straights for setting up passes. I would LOVE to see the current crop of F1 cars run at Road America.

Road Atlanta is pretty nice too, with many of the same features as Road America. Mid-Ohio is a bit of the same, although to me not quite as flowing and nice.

Heck, why not go back to Watkins Glen. Pretty nice track there too!

The fact that SPA is on the potential cutting board is sad. As much as people hate on Christian Horner, he's right, at all costs keep Silverstone, Spa, and Monza (though I'm not a huge Monza fan, I accept it for what it is) on the calendar.

I totally agree. F1 needs to keep Silverstone, Spa, and Monza. I think Monaco should stay too, but I know there are some who disagree with that.

Bah! I dislike it when a race ends under a safety car. I was really hoping to see De Vries catch Gasley in the last few laps and take 8th. Gasley was on older hard tires and I think De Vries could have taken him and gain some more points for Williams.

Sainz had a hell of a run from the back of the pack. Not sure if he could have taken a podium from Russel, but that safety car put a stop to that. Another dominate run by Verstappen. The pace on that RB exceeds everything in the field. Not even Perez can match it in the same car.

Monza is always a fun watch due to the high speeds and that nasty first chicane.

Wow, we almost lost Alex Albon. Had respiratory failure:

Makes you wonder about that socialized medicine doesn't it?
-----
So, race wise...can we please get Latifhi and Ricciardo out of F-1 NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And is it just me or should Sainz be Ferrari's #1? Close for sure.

And...despite Checo's brake issue not being his fault; c'mon Checo, you have to pick up your game!!!
-----
Real question is will Nyck go to Williams, Alfa or wild card....Alpha Tauri (if Gasly gets the okay to go to Alpine)? Does young Schumacher get the kerb or survies with Alfa and replace Zhou Guanyu? And how much more time does Yuki get?

I don't blame Perez. I think VES is in a world of his own, I don't believe any other driver could extract the performance from the RBR that he does. I also believe VES could win in a ferrari or mercedes, strategy decisions aside. He's just that good.

Perhaps RUS could do well in the RBR car. We'll never know.

Reactions: Schütze
I don't blame Perez. I think VES is in a world of his own, I don't believe any other driver could extract the performance from the RBR that he does. I also believe VES could win in a ferrari or mercedes, strategy decisions aside. He's just that good.

Perhaps RUS could do well in the RBR car. We'll never know.
VER has been in a league of his own, IMO, since 2018. In 2019 though it should have been obvious to anybody (especially Crybaby) that it wasn't his skills holding him back, it was the car. By 2019 he'd learned mostly to dampen his agression. But, seriously in 2020 he SHOULD have been more of a challenger and he was really coming into his own.

I've said it since 2018, had Max had Louis' car in 2018-2020, Hamilton would NOT have won WDC. Maybe 2018 would have been close, but no way in 2019-2020 would it have been. Just my opinion though. It's very hard to tell who's actually the best due to difference in cars. But Botas at least gave Max a challenge at front, whereas Checo, for the most part, seems to be a non-threat.