• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any F1 racing fans?

Was really excited for the last non-cost cap season to start. I wonder how everyone will cope with the new ruleset.
Any guess if someone else will come out on top?

Also; Honda showed up in 2019 in a big way.

I just somehow cant shake the feeling that a cost cap is agenst what f1 is all about lol.. let's just give them cigarettes advertising money back and let them race lol.

But that will never happen so cost cap is probably the best way to go..

I do like the restructuring of the payments to teams

Last edited:
Lewis is alright...............I guess

It's funny watching the vid and knowing that he is not pushing that car at all and the passengers are still getting the ride of their life. I love taken people out for rides when my car was running, they would have a blast. Well at least most. I had one guy who almost threw up in my car.

Reactions: 308pirate
Big Ricciardo fan here. Previously a Mark Webber fan and thought he got the short end of the stick far too often during Vettel's run. Enjoyed Webber's time with Porsche too.

Got to see some old F1 cars run at a Ferrari Racing Days event at a local track a few weeks ago. Wow, the sound is wild and I now truly understand why people feel so strongly about the lack of sound from the current cars.

Reactions: pilotjoe
Big Red Bull fan

Really enjoyed watching Albon last season, he was showing a lot of promise for having so little time behind the wheel of a F1 car. Means quite a but when they pull you up from F2 and move you up so quick, I think the kid a has a great future.

It's funny watching the vid and knowing that he is not pushing that car at all and the passengers are still getting the ride of their life. I love taken people out for rides when my car was running, they would have a blast. Well at least most. I had one guy who almost threw up in my car.

Details about the car? Come, help a brother out......

Details about the car? Come, help a brother out......

It's was just a 2103 Mustang GT turned race car. Left the engine stock and detuned it to run NASA ST3. Then eventually took the tune off and ran it in ST2. I was way under powered for ST2, but it was more fun as it was more competitive than ST3. Most of the work on the car was the safety stuff and suspension, such as MCS double remotes. Brakes were PowerBrake motor sports brakes (A company from SA trying to get into the US market. Good brake for a good price.) One day I hope to get it on the track and start racing again. Hit a Porsche two years ago now and other expenses took away the racing budget.
IMG_0054.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 308pirate
I think he's a dumbass (for leaving Red Bull) and maybe he's not as talented as he thinks he is

Don't know if I would go so far as to label him a dumbass. I think there were several things in play that helped him in his decision, but 3 in particular.
1. Red Bull was pretty obvious in their favor towards Verstappen.
2. Max is likely (....not likely, but definitely in my personal opinion) a better driver and more aggressive than Danny Ric.
3. Danny Ric had several horrible instances in 2018 of the car letting him down (not anything he did personally). When he heard Red Bull was switching to Honda power units, I'm sure he was like "Screw this, that's just one more thing that will likely have problems next year".

Add all of those to the fact that Danny can switch to a mid-field Renault, relieve a little stress of having to be measured against Max....and he can go in as the "team star" and help pilot a struggling team to a higher position.

Danny is a good driver. Renault really struggled last year which makes his move seem pretty dumb. I was really expecting Renault to have a much better year in 2020, but alas.....carona virus screwed it all up. No team will steal Mercedes' thunder until the new aero rules come into play in 2022. I think they were supposed to go into effect in 2021, but recently got pushed out to 2022 because of the abbreviated 2021 season.

I'm totally in F1 withdrawals right now and wish this virus would hurry up and blow over so that we can get this show on the road.

I think he's a dumbass (for leaving Red Bull) and maybe he's not as talented as he thinks he is
Interesting perspective. I view it as Red Bull clearly chose Max as their #1 driver and driver of the future. If Ricciardo truly thinks he is great and deserves to be treated as the #1 then he had no choice but to leave and prove himself. Outside of going to Mercedes or Ferrari it was going to be an uphill battle for him no matter where he went. I do think there is a lot of pressure on him to perform and validate his move. I guess we'll just have to watch and see how it unfolds. Max has definitely matured and refined himself so it is looking like Red Bull made the right choice for now.

Similarly related, regarding the drivers that we are fans of... are y'all fans of certain drivers because of their on track style and performance or other reasons? I'm curious. I am a fan of Ricciardo and previously Webber because they were competitive drivers and anecdotally were just cool, nice guys doing what their passion was. I was a fan of Nicky Hayden after hearing stories of my father meeting his family at the track multiple times and they were just nice, down to earth people.

Reactions: Jethro3898
.....Similarly related, regarding the drivers that we are fans of... are y'all fans of certain drivers because of their on track style and performance or other reasons?.....

For me, it's both. I don't really think that the talent gap is so huge between drivers as the commentators like to think there is. You absolutely have to have the hardware under your butt in order to finish on the podium in Formula 1. The only drivers who I feel are not "great drivers" are Grosean, Giovanazzi, and Stroll. All of those guys can drive better than me, so I'm not casting shade on them. I'm just saying that of the 20, these 3 don't measure up to the other 17 from what I've seen.....and I'm talking dumb things done on the track. Give Lando Norris or George Russell a Merc and they would likely podium. Hardware is vitally important. The 3 best drivers as far as talent go (again in my opinion) are Hamilton, Verstappen and LeClerc....but even these guys would never podium in a Haas or Williams car. They are talented drivers in exceptional vehicles.

Danny Ric and Lando Norris are fun guys that I bet would be a blast to hang out with....so I like them. I like Kimi too, but more because he is like the curmudgeon of F1 and he always cracks me up with his deadpan approach to everything. I respect the raw talent of Verstappen, but think he is a bit of a whiny baby. Lewis Hamilton is also a favorite of mine for his on track ability (very, very few mistakes), but his off-track persona make me roll my eyes. I guess it can be summed up by who I follow on Instagram: Mercedes AMG Petronas, Valteri Botas, Danny Ric, Lando Norris, McLaren, Charles Leclerc and Renault F1. If Porsche would create a Formula 1 team, I'd forsake all others....HA HA HA.

Last edited:
I like Danny and think he's move was a good one for him. I really wanted to see how Vettel was going to handle LeClerc this year. Last year LeClerc gave him lots of trouble. One of my favorite drivers is Kimi, he is the best at driver's interviews.

I personally would be surprised if Vettel lasted much longer. The fire doesn't seem to be there anymore. His radio transmission last year after a retirement due to mechanical problems, "God I wish we could bring back the f-ing V12s" revealed to me a lot about his comfort/outlook on modern F1 (and I wholeheartedly agreed with the sentiment). I don't think he is ultimately comfortable with the turbo-hybrid drivetrain and may feel like a has-been even though I don't think he is. LeClerc gave him fits too...younger, faster and nowhere to go but up. If Vettel ever beats LeClerc in drivers standings I would be amazed. The worst thing that could ever happen to Vettel in F1 is if he were to get released by Ferrari (unless he got picked up by Merc). I don't think he could win in this area without one of the best two or 3 cars.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I don't think Merc would ever pick him up. They need and want a driver that can compliment Lewis and the have just that with Bottas. If Ferrari drop Vettel I think his time in F1 would be over. Although Lewis is older than Vettel.

As I understand it, Vettel, Bottas, and Ricciardo are all up on their contracts, so there would be a Merc seat open--not sure who would get that

Red Bull clearly chose Max as their #1 driver and driver of the future.

They did so because Ricciardo gave them no other choice. I think his performance did not measure up to Verstappen's in 2018.

Red Bull had a shitty engine (Renault) and what does Ricciardo do? He goes over there. That seems to me as an emotional, not intellectual, move. But I wasn't there so I'm guessing. Did Danny know that Honda was going to replace Renault in 19? Did Max? Did either of them ask? Who knows.

All I know is that I would have stayed if I knew Honda was replacing Renault. It's difficult to find a more competent, smart, intellectual, practical, and driven group of engineers. JMHO after working with them on the passenger car side of things.

I honestly did not think Honda was going to preform as well as it did as fast as it did when red bull took them on. (Did anyone ? Lol ) I dont blam McLaren for dumping them after those 3 years of "growing pains" But is pretty ironic to watch red bull reap the rewards of those 3 years of trial and error at Honda. After Red bull talked so much trash about Renault during the v6 era.

The soap opera of f1 is better than the racing lol

I honestly did not think Honda was going to preform as well as it did as fast as it did when red bull took them on. (Did anyone ? Lol ) I dont blam McLaren for dumping them after those 3 years of "growing pains" But is pretty ironic to watch red bull reap the rewards of those 3 years of trial and error at Honda. After Red bull talked so much trash about Renault during the v6 era.

The soap opera of f1 is better than the racing lol

I had little doubt that Honda was going to come in hard. Honda doesn't take defeat lightly and they're no strangers to F1.

They don't let short term horizons alone drive their decisions.

I paid more attention to racing when I was in my 20’s and single, not so much now that I’m the opposite of that.

I was a tech at a Mercedes dealership in Iowa a long time ago and for a few years we got race and hospitality tent tickets to the Indy F1 race. That was pretty awesome.

This same dealership was a large auto mall on a massive property. As part of the G class coming to the US, this dealership built an off-road test track to showcase the capabilities of the G class and other SUV’s they sold. As part of the grand opening, MBUSA sent us an F1 chassis that was driven by Mika Hakkinen. Obviously it didn’t have an engine or transmission in it but it was cool to see. It was pretty remarkable to see how light it was too.

Former fan. It’s a video game now. In fact they have let gamers drive in a race.

Yeah.... the F-1 sim thing as a replacement for the races is a bit stupid.

I must admit that I have enjoyed the re-airing of some of the old races from the 90s and early 2000s. Neat to see how far the technology has come.

I think the hybrid technology of the modern V6 is cool, but I miss that demonic V10 scream!

I think the hybrid technology of the modern V6 is cool, but I miss that demonic V10 scream!

I must agree with you about the noise. Them v10 screamers were something else. I’ve only ever heard the old demo cars they have floating around still, but it’ll make your hair stand up.

Although, me being of a younger generation, I just awe at the EFFICIENCENCY and output the small displacement hybrid power units have. Something of the tune of about 300% more MPG than their INDYCAR counterparts (being corn fed) but making roughly 200 hp more. I mean that’s nutty. And yes, I understand you need more volume of corn to make the same power in most cases, but still, the only efficiency that comes close (or maybe even surpassed?) was the diesel Lemans cars.

I always found it funny That F1 keeps talking about needed to keep costs down . But then went to a complex and expensive to develop power train... If you could still sell almost any advertising you wanted on the car and the motors where cheaper ... maybe just maybe.. they would not me "scared to lose the small teams that make up F1" lol

But I guess at the young age of 38 I am living in the past lol

Just announced over the evening hours: Vettel out at a Ferrari after this season.

Alright, F1 fans, who Do you think will take his place? I think one strong possibility is Danny Ric, but only because his contract at Renault is up after this season.

All I know is: I’m ready for some racing. This virus stuff is getting old.

Just announced over the evening hours: Vettel out at a Ferrari after this season.

Alright, F1 fans, who Do you think will take his place? I think one strong possibility is Danny Ric, but only because his contract at Renault is up after this season.

All I know is: I’m ready for some racing. This virus stuff is getting old.

I think Ric or Sainz are real possibilities. I do wonder if Vettel just leaves F1 altogether or gives it a shot elsewhere on a cheap 1 or 2 year contract. Maybe he does what Weber did and races in a different organization to finish his career.

Probably been watching for 25 years. About the time when CART left the Indycar series and they went to crap. Remember my first race in Denver at the race dubbed as the "Thunder on the Rockies". Once I smelled the smell of methanol I was hooked. Started watching F1 and enjoyed watching Hamilton when he started at Mac but turned sour with the earrings, whining, etc. Last year was a mess with Ferrari and the way Vettel could not let LeClerc one up him. Was not surprised at all by today's announcement. As a team they should have won at least one championship with Vettel but their race engineers suck! Mercedes stole win after win by committing to better race strategies. So it won't matter who they hire (I am thinking Bottas) if they don't hire some better race strategists.

Reactions: Charlie112
It would be interesting to see Ferrari pick Mick Schumacher. I know in 2019 they tested him in Bahrain. Might be in Ferrari’s interest to get some younger blood in there.

they need better race strats and more thinking outside the box rule book wise

once braun left ferrari they stopped "thinking"

new turbos they went the wrong size

new front wing they went fat everyone else went skinny

race strat they are one step behind redbul and merc

they almost seem like wiliams back in the early 2000's they had montoya but couldnt get over the hump, always a step behind ferrari

Reactions: Charlie112
Well, Ferrari announced officially that Carlos Sainz will replace Vettel. Also announced that McLaren is making a move for Ricciardo to fill the Sainz vacancy.

Carlos is definitely one of the most consistent mid-field drivers and he will do Ferrari a good job. I do admit that I figured Ricciardo would have been a better solution, but perhaps they wanted a younger lineup where Ferrari has typically wanted more seasoned drivers. Either way, they ended up with a good driver who can definitely pilot their car well..... but let’s face it: Ferrari’s problems I’m recent history certainly can’t be attributed to driver talent.

I’d agree but we also don’t know if the drivers are good R and D guys...Schumacher was known to be very involved with the guys in the trenches which many believe helped in development.

So is Hamilton

Maybe the last few drivers aren’t.

Alonso is a great driver but he never developed a turd into a proper car by himself.

Seb, won with newey cars...

Kimmi prob can because had/had his rally career so he understands both sides.

I just read my F-1 app (not much reading of it recently) and saw the news about Seb. He's done as a driver - no more WC's for him in other words. He's been done since that mammoth screw-up in 2017 when he just drove off I believe at Hockenheim IIRC. Shocking Sainz but he's hot - Red Bull made a mistake there (though I bet that Max didn't want that). I think Ferrari was correct to choose Carlos over Ricciardo. Ricciardo is also a has-been from what I can tell. The changing of the guard is coming and it's going to be obvious if and when we race again.

Where would Seb go? Red Bull again? They like him and he likes them as he apparently was still on great terms with everybody there. But their camp is full and no way they'd put him as #1 with Max there, Max would destroy him - much, much faster. I cannot see him going to Renault, so he's pretty much out. He'd have been very smart to hit McClaren when Alonso left and gotten out of the pressure cooker.

The new guys are Max (now almost an old guy), LeClerc (don't like him myself), Carlos, George R, and Lan......(no, no not Stroll) - Lando and maybe Albon.

Ferrari chews up drivers...badly. Somehow Schuey managed to survive there and thrive. But it's been a tough go there - with only Kimi winning a sole title.

I also agree that Hamilton will remain in the sport long after he quits driving. Hopefully as an advisor or something and not to try something like the great Prost did and blow his fortune and reputation. Certainly Hamilton is one of the greats. No denying that.

Prost was also very instrumental in setup from what I understood and actually taught Senna a lot that first season(until the rivalry got overbearing). So in order to win, you have to be able to develop and understand what goes on in the car. Hamilton's got that. I think Max has that as well - no doubt he's got what it takes from the engineering side as i think does George Russell (he'd almost have to driving a Williams). The others in my "new" list seem to be very talented but haven't been on my radar long enough to determine if they know how to develop. By golly that's it. Seb will go to Williams:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
i've been a fan of F1 for a few years and kinda grew up watching Vettel. I loved him at RB and followed him to Ferrarri.

If he's actually Out, idk where I'll land.

I'm hoping he goes to Aston Martin next year. Fresh team...

That's about the only team left is the former Force India, Former Racing Point, soon-to-be Aston Martin. Then will Hulkenberg come back to Renault? I think though no more championships for Seb. He was fun to watch in his early days, but now he's a shadow of himself. I think the final straw was when he got robbed in Canada. At least he showed some spunk even after the screwing over by moving the #1 sign and refusing at first to go up to the podium.

That's about the only team left is the former Force India, Former Racing Point, soon-to-be Aston Martin. Then will Hulkenberg come back to Renault? I think though no more championships for Seb. He was fun to watch in his early days, but now he's a shadow of himself. I think the final straw was when he got robbed in Canada. At least he showed some spunk even after the screwing over by moving the #1 sign and refusing at first to go up to the podium.

Yep.

On the same note why are the FIA officials always trying to suck off hamilton.

Hamilton pushes someone off the track, gains position. Nothing. Vettel saved himself from a wipeout, maintained position, penalty.

I hate Hamilton. Everytime i see him "scootering" down the pitlane... such a smug fuck. Also i think he really believes that all the teams fall for his obvious "my tires are gone" bullshit he pulls every other race.

I completely agree. Hamilton STOLE that Canada 2019 GP. Vettel was shafted. Then he basically did something similar in one race (cannot remember it). I waffle on and off with Hamilton. I cannot stand him as a driver; though, I respect he's been able to keep his game at the top. He also thanks his team to no end and generally gets a thanks to God in as well. However, he's a crybaby and smug as you said which leaves me thinking he's a "wee" bit of a hypocrite. Though, I cannot root for Ferrari - I still hold a grudge for 1990 and 1991.

The guy I really hope wins a championship soon is Max. People hate his aggressive driving and sure there have been one or two times he was likely at fault (though the LeClerc incident IMO was what real racing is!) and his stupid stunt at Spa last year could have gotten him killed. However, he has grown as a driver. He had the raw skills when he entered, but now he has the temperament. It's been fun to watch him grow. Apparently he eats, lives, breathes and shits this stuff since his virtual car goes with him everywhere. He's also apparently very good in the full motion simulator too. So he's got that developmental thing going. I digress though.

Now that Porsche's former head of LMP1 is at McClaren, I can actually see Danny Ric being competitive and perhaps being in the top 4. Which still beckons the question why hasn't VW gotten into F-1 either through VW, Audi, Porsche or Lamborghini (heck...maybe even Bugatti)? Rumor had it Porsche was VERY close until they announced the rule changes which I guess Porsche didn't think would suit them.

Seb would have won Canada.... IF he kept it on track... he gave that race away. If he would not have made a mistake that race would not have been "stolen" from him buy the FIA..

The same FIA that seems to be covering up Ferrari engines last year may not have been 100% legal? So I dont think the FIA is as much on Mercedes cock as Ferrari fans tell themself they are

That was just another Seb mistake in the line of them.. cant blame Ferrari for wanting to go another way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jethro3898
Covering the engines? Lol.

Didn't they investigate?

If it was illegal wouldn't they have DQd?

Speaking of Illegal. The fucking suspension moving in and out? Merc? How that was deemed "legal" is bullshit.

But I find myself being a driver fan instead of a team fan.

Reactions: BytorJr
This thread is a lot more interesting than anything I read on the official F1 apps. Guess I am not the only one that shares many of these same thoughts!

Reactions: pilotjoe
Dang. I've been missing F1 this year with the delay of the season so I haven't been following it closely the last couple months. Sainz for Ferrari? That is a potent combo with LeClerc. I'm surprised he jumped from Mclaren so quickly but a chance to drive for Ferrari doesn't come around but once. I think he will do much better there than Ricciardo would. Ricciardo is starting to remind me more and more of Grosjean. There is always an excuse on why he fails to deliver a win and it is "never his fault". After years of subpar results you have to start asking if its not the car, not the team, and more the driver. Hopefully he breaks out of it and starts scoring points like he is capable of doing. As to Hamilton, he is one of those drivers who is doing something right, has an excellent team behind him at Mercedes, obviously works hard, yet has that kind of face you just want to punch. He is quite polarizing. Seems like everyone either loves him or hates him. There isn't much middle ground when it comes to Hamilton.

I keep rooting for Renault to challenge the top three cause I'm a sucker for disappointment. The last few years it is more enjoyable to watch the mid pack battle it out. Next year with the spending cap should get interesting.

Seb would have won Canada.... IF he kept it on track... he gave that race away. If he would not have made a mistake that race would not have been "stolen" from him buy the FIA..

The same FIA that seems to be covering up Ferrari engines last year may not have been 100% legal? So I dont think the FIA is as much on Mercedes cock as Ferrari fans tell themself they are

That was just another Seb mistake in the line of them.. cant blame Ferrari for wanting to go another way.
No argument he made a mistake, but these rules I think take away from the racing. The save he pulled off actually saved Hamilton. I seriously don't know how he managed to not crash into the wall and/or Hamilton (yes, I know old Louis lifted). However, go back and look at some of the 70's and 80's stuff. Much more aggressive defense and such and I think most would say 70's to early 90's the hey-day for F-1. Shumacher was among the worst at what I'd say was almost belligerent driving in 90's and early 2000's.

Granted once Senna was killed, the sport took a nosedive with heavy modification of tracks and struggling to get safety to where it is today and the natural consequence has been to perhaps tighten the rules up a bit too much with subduing hard wheel-to-wheel racing. I'll say it, IMSA/LeMans has F-1 smoked on letting them race, by a country kilometer or 2. That incident in Canada was some of the most exciting racing I've seen in a LONG time in F-1. Though Hockenheim takes the cake last year. With Max and Charles there are going to be some incidents much like Seb and Louis, but I hope they just let them race. Actually since 2017 F-1 has been interesting again - last season was one of the best since the 90's IMO.

But you'll get no argument from me that Seb has made entirely too many mistakes for an F-1 champion starting mainly in 2018. I'll repeat. Vettel will not win another world championship unless somehow we go racing again this year and he pulls a miracle. Nor do I think Danny Ric will win a single championship - I think he is actually maybe too nice and easy going.

As for Ferrari...well, as you probably read...no fan of theirs. Having said that, they have to be in F-1. Their brand power is just too powerful.

Last edited:
Started watching F1 a few years ago. Favorite drives are Max, Kimi, and Riccardo. Favorite team redbull. Can't wait or the season to start!