• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Any feedback on SKEETIR-X or UTMx ?

MTxTwelve

Minuteman
Mar 15, 2017
Looking at both of these units since both seem to be in the "do it all" category. Really attracted to the SKEETIR-X since it's super small. I'd like to use either of these as a clip-on in front of a NF 2.5-10x24, but i'm not sure of either's performance as a clip-on unit (both are listed as <5x capable).

Utm works great as a clip on, It would be better with the new NXS 1-8 as 1x will allow you to view the menu through the scope. 2.5x will not.
Not sure on the skeeter as a clip on but weight and size wise its awesome. I was able to play with 2 side by side and they are fantastic units

Reactions: deersniper
I have not used the UTM-x as a clip on but have been using it for scanning. There are too many dogs in the places I coyote hunt for me to trust making my shot off of just the thermal.

I had a PVS-30 and sold it to fund a PVS-31a. I have some disposable income/money coming in around July and will be replacing my PVS-30 with one of the WP units TNVC has. I’m actually working on getting the order in now.

We actually had a man fatally shot locally by a woman not long ago. The woman was supposedly hog hunting with a el cheapo thermal at night and the man was in the woods and took a round to the head. (IDK, the story stunk but still), PID is extremely important in any area even with a low population. I cannot stress this enough.

The thermal is absolutely awesome for locating and scouting but I much prefer night vision for making the actual shot. If I lived out west where I knew there wasn’t another person for miles I’d be cool with thermal as a scope, but I love dogs too much to whack someone’s pooch. I’ll be the 1st to admit I’m a sucker for dags. Coyotes attacking a friends dag and trying to attack mine are why I declared war on coyotes to being with.

My death dealing mini-panther through the UTM-x
BA5F315A-8987-4435-B789-FF4FB1D8D4BC.jpeg

My situation is a bit different. The closest dogs to me are a pair of Malmutes. Over the last 3 years, they have come down and taken 7 of our chickens. I have talked to the owner numerous times. Short version, nothing has been done by the owner. He tells me these are his daughter's "therapy dogs" ... she lives about 15 miles away with her mom (ex-wife of neighbor). She gets these rescue dogs and drops them at dad's (the neighbor). He has told me to shoot them 3 times. But my wife and I agree that would not be the best course of action.
I go out day and night and when I see them, I shoot to miss. As Malmutes, they often have a raised tail and that is a dead give away due to yotes not doing "raised tail" at least not in my experience. But, these Malmutes do not ALWAYS have the tail raised and head on, I might be tough to tell the difference anyway. And if I see any predator within 100yds of the coop at night, I will aim to hit.

So different scenarios require different ROE.

==
And BTW all my other neighbors tell me to shoot them, just to show you the culture around here. And the Malmutes have also chased the cattle and blocked them from their protein tubes on several occasions, neighbor admits to seeing that. About a month ago, I suggested that he restrain them if they are not supervised and I have not seen them on our land since, except one time when I think he forgot to restrain, I happened to be heading towards the relevant gate at the moment they were heading out on a "hunt" and I encouraged them to go home and they cut the corner going on our land for a few feet. But other than that, he might actually be restraining them now.

I shoot all the yotes I see that come near the coop (and coons and opossum also ... who probably kill more chickens around here than yotes). But my "war" is with the malmutes, whom I cannot shoot !! :D

==
But I agree, PID with thermal takes a lot of practice, experience and patience. I have 3 OASYS core thermals now and they have great images, but over the last weekend I was hunting in some large fields and with 60mm Mk3 trijicon ... PIDing hogs and yotes at distances from 300-800yds was non-trival. Guys with me had 2x scanners and a lot of preliminary IDs turned out to be false. And I would hear "Joe put the big one on it" (I am Joe and the "big one" was the 60mm) ... I was trying to PID a pig at 400yds and every time we rolled the truck a few more yards, the pig turned towards us (he didn't detect us it was just his culinary process causing him to turn - we did get him). I think I spent 10m before finally declaring PID PIG. So "patience" is definitely part of the game.

Here is what I have. My favorite is the UTM. It really does do it all. I run it in front of a Trijicon 1-8x scope. The LWTS is pretty awesome also, but the UTM has a way wider field of view yet has the same native magnification. I believe there is a guy on here or AR15dotcom that has a UTM for sale that he purchased from a reputable dealer. Thanks20180213_071351-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah I've been wanting a Skeet IR-X to replace my M18 (It's good, but I want helmet mounted), all the ones I've seen are expensive as shit though. Have you found any for a reasonable price?

I have a helmet mounted thermal that is coming this week from Germany. It uses Flir's new 12 micron 60hz Boson thermal core and is half the weight of any other helmet mounted thermal. As soon as I get it I'll post the info and pics in this thread. I have the hookup with them and can get a pretty steep discount for others.

Reactions: Ncloud
Here is what I have. My favorite is the UTM. It really does do it all. I run it in front of a Trijicon 1-8x scope. The LWTS is pretty awesome also, but the UTM has a way wider field of view yet has the same native magnification. I believe there is a guy on here or AR15dotcom that has a UTM for sale that he purchased from a reputable dealer. ThanksView attachment 6874235
What mount are you using? The flip to side mount?

Correct, the Wilcox mount. Even with the flip mount I am getting less than 1moa low shift at 100yds at the range.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Can the utm be helmet mounted?
I know it would be fairly heavy but is it possible?