• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Any good Rifle Ranges near Louisville,KY

Oldrac

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2014
Louisville,Ky
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum, but thought it may be applicable here.
I've been an avid hunter who would like to get into precision shooting as a new hobby. I have researched the topic and can't seem to find a decent rifle range near Louisville. I'm aware of Knob Creek but all I've seen is the main range which isn't the most conducive to concentration required in precision shooting, in addition to only going to 300 yards.
Any suggestions for ranges within a hundred miles or so? TIA

The Knob Creek Range can be as "conductive to concentration" as any other range without pits. Nevertheless, you may have interest in joining the Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol Club. They have a 500 yard outdoor range with pits in Borden, IN. I like both ranges. BTW, only going to 300 meters is not an issue to LR practice. Just shoot reduced course targets.

Rockcastle Shooting Center in Park Mammoth/Cave.

I'd love to join SoINRPC but my schedule precludes the two meetings requires to join.

Knob Creek don't impress much, and while I appreciate a good range officer, I can deal without a sour-ass range nazi that treats EVERYBODY like a GD moron.

I appreciate the responses from you all. I don't disagree Sterling Shooter that all ranges have multiple firing point but Knob Creek is just not my ideal choice. I'm a mature guy who can follow rules and follow order but never been fond of Nazi Range officers. I will look into the So In club. Thanks
I definitely realize 300 is more than adequate to hone skills that I want to develop, just looking(hoping) to someday extend if skills allow
Thanks again
Oldrac

If you don't mind an indoor range, Open Range in has a 100yd range with 4 pits. It is somewhat expensive compared to Knob Creek costing $27.00/hr for Rifle, and the ammo selection is very limited if you happen to run out. Otherwise, its a great place to shoot.

Location is Buckner, Ky right off 71 a few exits before Lagrange.

I've never been to Open Range. I've heard it is nice. I did not know it has pit service. That would be odd for a 100 yard venue being that a spotting scope could be used even to discern .22 hits.

Red Brush Rifle Range
Red Brush Rifle Range is located east of Newburgh, IN, just north of Alcoa. We have a small match there the last sunday of every month.
Match name: Tactical Rifle Match

Schedule: See calendar of events or newsletter announcement for dates. Match instructions and match begin at 10:00am.

Cost: $8.00 per entrant

Firearms used:
bullet Minor-scoring Caliber: Rifle chambered in .243 or less.
bullet Major-scoring Caliber: Rifle chambered in .244 or larger.

Usual number of rounds needed: 40-50 rounds per match.

Other equipment needed (in addition to eye and ear protection): Only support aids allowed are rifle-mounted bipods and one rear bag.

Targets: Variable. May include IPSC, IDPA, humanoid photo targets, law enforcement tactical targets, hostage targets. Bonus targets are possible.

Format: Normal matches will have two or more shooters on the line with a time limit per stage. Each match will have several challenges from accuracy stages to distance stages. Targets will be located from 150 yards to 535 yards.

Prizes: Bragging rights.

Contact person: Tom Ancona (phone 812-477-0443 in evening, or 812-483-9692 cell)