• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any good work out routine for road workers?

jackdaddy

Minuteman
Mar 18, 2010
Stover, MO
Anybody here work on the road and stay in hotels or small towns that don't have a gym? I work for the railroad so I'm away from home quite a bit and stay in a lot of small towns with no gym and always looking for a good solid way to work out besides just run. I enjoy lifiting but again with no gym its kinda hard, I pull my camper with me on the road which is my home away from home but don't ha e a lot of extra room for weights or bikes etc and a diet plan is real pain in the ass to stick by when working on the road you get off late and fast food is so much easier than cooking at midnight after a 12hr day. So if anybody has any good schedules or regiments they stick to pass the word I could sure use it.

Check out TRX suspension training. I throw one in my bag when traveling. It works anywhere, and provides more variety than pushups and pullups on the swingset at the local park.

I travel a lot also, sure makes it a pain in the rear. The Delta Sky magazine has had a few interviews and articles about this in the past year. They kind of summarize that you're not going to get a "weight training" workout but that you can maintain and do some cardio at the same time. Here are some of the exercises they've mentioned:
-Burpees come up a lot. Good for legs, core and cardio.
-Zero weight squats - do them till your legs turn to jello
-"Dips" if the room's chair has arm rests (and that their strong enough to hold you up). Your feet are still on the ground and they do hold some of your weight, so you're doing higher reps vs. a real dip where you're lifting your whole body weight
-obvious pushups and sit ups
-lunges
-"touch down" (not sure that's the right name). Stand feet a bit wider than shoulder apart, hands up, palms out about parallel with your face. lean over to your left and touch your right hand down (not finger tips, your whole palm has to be on the floor) about six - eight inches in front of your left foot. Now do the right, do a jillion of them. Your definitely using your legs, hips and core on this one, NOT just bending your back over, focus on legs and butt.
-pilades moves. YOu can youtube and follow along.

Working out and eating right on the road is really tough but I do see people doing it right. Eating is the biggest issue and more chains are offering bunless burgers, more substansal salads, all day omelets, etc.. Good luck!

The basics are always good, but admittedly can get a bit boring.

I'm on the road quite a bit as well and started using the TRX for road trips. It will easily pack into your suitcase and only adds about 1lb.

Good luck.

Check out TRX suspension training. I throw one in my bag when traveling. It works anywhere, and provides more variety than pushups and pullups on the swingset at the local park.

+1 on the TRX. I've traveled with one for years. It's a great training tool for a home gym and is portable enough to take traveling. Anyone of any fitness level can use this for a great workout.