• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Ham radio guys here?

Hi,

@gayguns
You do not have enough projects and hobbies, lolol.....?
Don't forget about the video production and editing equipment for the Ares News Network :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Hey How are ya?

I have to keeping learning and being creative bc I'm so friggen ADHD. Blessing/Curse. So I constantly bounce around with new stuff.

Anyways Re: Ares News Network

1) The video production software you need is simple and cheap.... DaVinci Resolve. Premiere. With those 2 you can do top of the line color correction, color grading, edting AND even the audio now.

2) Equipment -- depends on what your budget is. What what the output is going to be. A powerful computer. Good dual monitors that can be color calibrated. Camera? Red. Arri are nice. If it were my money I'd go with Kinefinity Mavo LF 8K - Almost every bit as good as a Red and a 1/4 the cost. With any set up if you're looking to do quality (Broadcast TV stuff) it's an easy 50K for bare bones... up to 80 - 100K ... 200K even to do it right. But one can get away with 10K too --just the quality won't be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: zazenist
You could operate on 2m but not 70cm. I was just putting it out there to show that there’s hope and give you a direction of something to build on when searching.
That's awesome... thank you for that.

Can Ham radio be blocked--in theory yes. In practice, very difficult. The reason is the large number of frequency bands a typical transceiver can work. I'm not a tech geek, so take my opinion with that in mind, but I'm not aware of equipment that could jam entire bands. I stand to be corrected though. I suppose that if they wanted to jam your signals they could use scanners that would switch to and jam your signal when you transmitted. There are about 700,000 licensed hams at this time in the US. Would take a lot of folks and equipment to do it.

Reactions: Bender
Our fine first responders can, have and will cut cellular service any time they feel the need.

Problem is it's cut to a small percentage of bad actors and all the good guys equally.

Not like anyone would need medical services or have information to relay to the heroes.

Cutting (local) repeaters I could see but what is local? I have a couple of repeaters 40 miles away I can hit with my modest base set up.

I can fire up my rig as a repeater.
Then there is every wide area coverage node and wires-x in the hood to stop.

Then simplex transmission's on all the bands.

So to kill radios
Cut repeaters
Internet
Power
Then jam all bands

Talking fed / gov leval stuff.

Thats why I got into it.

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
I used the arrl study app.
It is free.

Also somewhat out of date.
Here is the new one. Even it is out of date for extra.

I've been trying to use this one to work on extra. Already have general. I want a vanity call sign in the 2x1x2 set. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.delasystems.hamradioexamextra

I will start studying for the general soon.
Was wanting a vanity call sign till I learned how they worked / restriction on format.

Nothing I really want available.

My only reason for general is to help with arc duties ect. dx and contests don't intrest me much.

Think I will do something along network team building.

I will start studying for the general soon.
Was wanting a vanity call sign till I learned how they worked / restriction on format.

Nothing I really want available.

My only reason for general is to help with arc duties ect. dx and contests don't intrest me much.

Think I will do something along network team building.
AA-AK 2 by 2 ranges have some pretty good options but you have to be extra. I'm wanting one in the AI range (not because of accuracy international).

Reactions: Snuby642
I wouldn't say rules and restrictions on operating. It is rules on who can get what when. Since a lot of the vanity call signs are shorter there are fewer of them available. Also you can't get a vanity call sign as a first call sign. Also only certain blocks of vanity call signs are available to the US. Got to leave some for everybody else.

My dad has a vanity. AE5**. I want AI9**. Currently a KD5***

This page explains it pretty simply.

I wouldn't say rules and restrictions on operating. It is rules on who can get what when. Since a lot of the vanity call signs are shorter there are fewer of them available. Also you can't get a vanity call sign as a first call sign. Also only certain blocks of vanity call signs are available to the US. Got to leave some for everybody else.

My dad has a vanity. AE5**. I want AI9**. Currently a KD5***

This page explains it pretty simply.

Cool.. got it. Searching here -- http://www.radioqth.net/vanity/available I find the one I want will be available on 5/20/21 :)
Thanks for the help.

For any traveling to DC for the 6th.

Wires-x room available.

AC5V ROOM accesed by wires-x system fusion.

And by fm mode #45530 using the dtmf function.

The owner is a Patriot and said I have permission.

It will be round robin and not logged

KI5MDI

Check 6.

Intimidation begins.
Killing the first amendment is a huge communist priority.

Watch "FCC Warns Amateur Radio Operators To Not Commit Crimes" on YouTube

This is very much the same as the result you get when YouTube stars are full on Mooning the ATF

Every left wing and right wing nutjob has been raving online about how great it is to go grab a HAM radio and use it to plot your "Resistance" or "Revolution".

Cheap Chinese handhelds were practically part of the ANTIFA uniform (and I'll bet most were using them without a license).

But more important is THE MONEY
Big Telecom kicks billions of dollars to the government to be the "exclusive" ones.
They don't want to have a bunch of folks saying you don't need them and can do it for free.

If you read all the stupid rules from the FCC, you'll pick up pretty quickly, that they are really careful to make sure there is no way that "free" radio would be a threat to the financial interests of the Big money boys.

But as a word of caution, it's not really the FCC you need to worry about, it's all the snitches and bitches in the HAM radio community who think it's their personal duty to play hall monitor and are always looking for something to rat somebody out for to make themselves feel better.

I'm not aware of equipment that could jam entire bands

The armed forces are masters of electronic warfare. They can deny any portion of the EM spectrum, regardless of freq range, virtually at will.

If you see an F-18 with squarish pods that have little props in front, or an F-16 with what looks like wing tanks but aren't wing tanks, flying around don't be surprised if nothing electromagnetic in your house no longer works.

1611155578517.png

1611155667708.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
If you read all the stupid rules from the FCC, you'll pick up pretty quickly, that they are really careful to make sure there is no way that "free" radio would be a threat to the financial interests of the Big money boys.

I would imagine that most people's interest in amateur radio isn't to demonetize corporate broadcast. It's to have an alternate means of communication not controlled by big broadcast and big tech.

I've been trying to get my HAM license for a while now, and was set to take the test on 1/9, but then the stupid local club cancelled and even decided to postpone/cancel ALL testing for the rest of the year. For a community that boasts being the "Greatest hobby in the world" they sure do make it damn near impossible to join. I've since lost interest. #guerillaradio

I've been trying to get my HAM license for a while now, and was set to take the test on 1/9, but then the stupid local club cancelled and even decided to postpone/cancel ALL testing for the rest of the year. For a community that boasts being the "Greatest hobby in the world" they sure do make it damn near impossible to join. I've since lost interest. #guerillaradio
Find an online test:

Are those radio clubs similar to fudd gun clubs?

I got interested in Ham when I was bout 14, had a neibour with a big antenna and a radio and he was helping me. He retired and moved and I lost interest. Then I got bit by the bug a couple years ago, found a local study and test site at a local VFW. went to class and passed the general test.
Been looking for an Elmer in my area since but between work, family, and health I havent made time. I want to do more but again time for me is tight. I learn by doing not just studying.

As noted, there are online sites to take the license exam. Also, go to the ARRL website and you will find a listing of the dates and places for testing in your area. There are frequently a number of groups offering testing in a given area.

I'm new to ham radio having gotten my tech and general licenses this fall. Ham clubs are like every other type of club in that they reflect the personality of its members. Most members are older and frequently engineering types but not all members will be EE's, ME's, etc.

The ham radio community is self-policing per an agreement with the FCC that goes back to the beginning of radio. As with everything there are trade-offs. The arrangement is not perfect but it works and keeps the government off everyone's back for the most part. The airways would be impossible without some control. I always had an interest in radio but never got around to getting my license until recently. Part of my motivation was to have a way to communicate and receive news, etc., if things really go south. Keep in mind if that happens rules won't apply anyway and I can only imagine what the airways will be like.

if things really go south. Keep in mind if that happens rules won't apply anyway and I can only imagine what the airways will be like.

Make sure you and your buddies have channels setup and know how to do AM instead of FM in break down of such.

The armed forces are masters of electronic warfare. They can deny any portion of the EM spectrum, regardless of freq range, virtually at will.

If you see an F-18 with squarish pods that have little props in front, or an F-16 with what looks like wing tanks but aren't wing tanks, flying around don't be surprised if nothing electromagnetic in your house no longer works.

View attachment 7532701

View attachment 7532703
Do not forget the man portable and vehicle versions of ECM.

A good write up that goes into the recent history and development of them from open-source material. -> https://www.wired.com/2011/06/iraqs-invisible-war/

Its important to note that these systems have a strong localized effect and consume a lot of power.