• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HAM Radio Masts

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    Greetings ya'll, and thanks for looking.

We've got ourselves a Mast here, that we're looking to install (or have installed) somewhere on our property this year. This beauty is 30' tall, in 3 10' sections and laying on the ground at the moment. (on some boards)

I'm bouncing some ideas around, as-to where to locate it. There are 'guy' braces at the top of it. There is probably a name for this style, but to begin with, it is what I'd call 'inverted'. As in, it is 'narrower' at the base than it is at the 'top'.

We got it used, from an individual whom stated that he 'didn't know anything' about it. He had tried simply burying it about 4' in the ground, at the wide end. And that "didn't work".

My thoughts are to dig a hole, bend some re-bar, invent/create some anchor-bolts with a footprint-template to match the actual 'base', and then mix and pour concrete into said hole then let it set.

For safety's sake, we'll be sure to wait the full 24 hours before 'erecting' the Mast and then installing the 25' vertical antenna we have here so's we could then power up our radio to 'full whack' so that we can reach out there far.

(some of ya'll will see what I'm doing, here ;) )

So, the point of my blathering is this: Since we used to have a fair amount of radio topics and whatnot, they all seem to be somewhat unobtainium. But at the same time, I know what I don't know and figured that there'd be oodles here who're going to jump in holler NO!!!!!!!!

You can't do this/that/the other thing, or at least without video to prove it first.

Anyone have any insight as to creating footings for masts?

Or anything else you wanna add?

Proper vinegar ratio for making that concrete set-up harder/faster/stronger?

Perhaps post some pics, especially the ends of each mast. Someone may have a better idea of what you have and the proper methods to erect it.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Greetings ya'll, and thanks for looking.

We've got ourselves a Mast here, that we're looking to install (or have installed) somewhere on our property this year. This beauty is 30' tall, in 3 10' sections and laying on the ground at the moment. (on some boards)

I'm bouncing some ideas around, as-to where to locate it. There are 'guy' braces at the top of it. There is probably a name for this style, but to begin with, it is what I'd call 'inverted'. As in, it is 'narrower' at the base than it is at the 'top'.

We got it used, from an individual whom stated that he 'didn't know anything' about it. He had tried simply burying it about 4' in the ground, at the wide end. And that "didn't work".

My thoughts are to dig a hole, bend some re-bar, invent/create some anchor-bolts with a footprint-template to match the actual 'base', and then mix and pour concrete into said hole then let it set.

For safety's sake, we'll be sure to wait the full 24 hours before 'erecting' the Mast and then installing the 25' vertical antenna we have here so's we could then power up our radio to 'full whack' so that we can reach out there far.

(some of ya'll will see what I'm doing, here ;) )

So, the point of my blathering is this: Since we used to have a fair amount of radio topics and whatnot, they all seem to be somewhat unobtainium. But at the same time, I know what I don't know and figured that there'd be oodles here who're going to jump in holler NO!!!!!!!!

You can't do this/that/the other thing, or at least without video to prove it first.

Anyone have any insight as to creating footings for masts?

Or anything else you wanna add?

Proper vinegar ratio for making that concrete set-up harder/faster/stronger?

About all I can really add is that you should always wear safety glasses and keep 10' from power lines. At least that's what my studies for tech ticket told me..

Seriously, though, looking forward seeing what the responses from people who actually know this have to say. And speaking to you once I'm in the database (the FFC's, not all the other ones I'm in)

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    What does your local building code state? I looked into one a while back and the footing needed to be 4' x 4' x 4' with rebar spaced 12" throughout. The one I was looking at was 35'. I've talked to others who did footings that were 3' x 3' x 5' or 6' deep - similar rebar spacing. Hope that helps.