• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any hand de-priming tools for Lapua SRP brass?

Senor_Barney

Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Northern California
    What are the options available for hand de-priming Lapua SRP brass?

My Frankford Arsenal hand tool will do everything else I need (i.e. Hornady LRP, Alpha SRP, Peterson LRMP), but the flash hole on the Lapua SPR for 6.5 Creed is tool small and the pin won't go through it.

My Whidden FL die will de-prime, but I prefer to de-prime before I clean and would like to find another hand tool or perhaps an aftermarket pin that is thinner for Lapua brass.

Please let me know what options there are. TIA!

Reactions: 338dude
    Take the Decapping pin out and turn it down to fit

Edit to correct auto-incorrect

Last edited:
    I use a turned down mandrel in a Lee collet die. Just run the press up enough to pop the primer. I know it’s not a hand tool but works well

I had a Harvey. While well built and finished, I didn't care for the ergonomics. The machined profile didn't lend itself to being retained in my hand. Plus, the exterior finish (Teflon paint of some kind, I think), while very well done and applied, was very slippery and I was constantly fumbling the thing around in my hand, trying to keep from dropping it.

I feel bad saying the above because I get the impression that the Harvey people are nice folks and their quality is very good. Is it worth the money ? Yes. It just wasn't a good fit for me.

Check out Harvey deprimer

I have 2 of em - one for the bench, one for taking with me when needed. Love these things.

le_wilson_deprimer_002-2313406.jpg

I have the Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer. I just took out the decapping pin, chucked it up in a drill, and sanded it until it cleared SRP flash holes. Been using it like that for years.
    Quick question, what grit sandpaper should I use, or I could use a sharpening stone in 1,000 or 600 grit. Thoughts?

I ended up using a dremel and ground it down at the tip. I found it is NOT an insignificant about of material that has to be removed to fit the depriming pin in the lapua holes....so sand paper was never going to work (with my patience)

I ended up using a dremel and ground it down at the tip. I found it is NOT an insignificant about of material that has to be removed to fit the depriming pin in the lapua holes....so sand paper was never going to work (with my patience)
    Okay, I may try chucking it up against some a 600 grit wet stone. Otherwise, I'll break out the Dremel. Thanks 👍

Quick question, what grit sandpaper should I use, or I could use a sharpening stone in 1,000 or 600 grit. Thoughts?
    I’m not sure. Probably just what I had paying around which would be fairly light stuff. Maybe 600grit or something like that. Stop frequently, just trying to clear the flash hole. The power drill made light work of it.