• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Any Howa Gunsmiths here?????

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
I started working on my first Howa today and I was looking for some tips or hints with these things. So far I like them, but I can see a few issues.

It uses a smaller bolt Dia. so truing the action with standard tooling wont work.

It has Metric threads, my lathe isn't set up for Metric, so thats an issue.

The barrel was into the action so freaking tight I think I busted some blood vessels trying to break the two apart. I headed it up and everything. The barrel was going back on, so I could not cut the barrel.

I do like the M-16 style extractor.
It took minimal lapping to get full contact.
Hard bolt knob that looks great when converted.
This one had a Timney, Not sure if thats standard.
Bore looked good, nicely polished for a factory barrel.
Flat bottom, no recoil lug, easy bedding and assembly.
Rem 700 scope base setup.

Mark

DSC05261Large.jpg

Re: Any Howa Gunsmiths here?????

I'll send em all your way if I get any calls
wink.gif
Glad you finally got it apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireball168</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kiff sells a piloted tap that will take them to 1.040", standard pitch(can't recall what it was). </div></div>

If that is right, I might as well just indicate off the raceway and single point cut the threads.

Its been a learning experience on the Howa. Overall I like the action and think its decent to play with. If it had better product support and standard threads I would like it alot more.

Here are a the pictures of the almost finished product....still waiting on rings, base and scope.

DSC05304Large.jpg

DSC05305Large.jpg

DSC05324Large.jpg

DSC05307Large.jpg

DSC05308Large.jpg

DSC05309Large.jpg

DSC05322Large.jpg

DSC05318Large.jpg

DSC05316Large.jpg

DSC05317Large.jpg

Are there different "thread" versions of the howa 1500? Just had a new barrel done (long action). My smith said it was standard thread. He specifically mentioned he could not do metric.

Edited to say the rifle is a Vanguard. I think thats just a re-branded Howa.

25.85 mm dia X 1.55 (1.180 X 16.5?TP)
only thing not metric are the scope mount screws.

How did you get the barrel off without cutting a relief groove?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM Pete Lincoln - he's the resident Howa smith. </div></div>

give Pete a few days, his father had just passed away.
I presume he'll be back in Germany next week.

regards
edi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKA-Spook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">25.85 mm dia X 1.55 (1.180 X 16.5?TP)
only thing not metric are the scope mount screws.

How did you get the barrel off without cutting a relief groove? </div></div>

Well, It was not fun, I called Roscoe and got some advice, but it boiled down to just muscling the crap out of it.

Mark

That is one cool lookin' Howa!!!!

You do good work Mark!!!

avd

How long of a cheater bar did you need? I find your take interesting, as it mirrors to a tee exactly what my smith had to say about the Howa build he just finished for me.

Nice looking stick by the way.

VERY nice. Glad to see the bolt knob, looks good. Ever thought about a side bolt stop?

Also those 308 varmnit barrels make good AR10 barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VERY nice. Glad to see the bolt knob, looks good. Ever thought about a side bolt stop?

Also those 308 varmnit barrels make good AR10 barrels. </div></div>

I want to start playing around with that mod, I just need to know where to get the parts. I'm never afraid to start tearing apart my own rifle and experimenting on it. Where can you get the parts to try?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norwiscutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long of a cheater bar did you need? I find your take interesting, as it mirrors to a tee exactly what my smith had to say about the Howa build he just finished for me.

Nice looking stick by the way. </div></div>

My action bar is the one I made and its around 3' long. I had to add about another 3' bar on top of this to get the leverage that I needed to get the action to break correctly. Cutting the barrel was not an option.

I also baked the barreled action in my oven for about 1 hour at 350 degrees and all kinds of junk baked out of the action.

With the comment about mirroring what you gunsmith said, I would like to think great minds think alike.....haha

Mark

$10 says the barrel and action you were trying to get apart was blued! Howa blues the barrel and action as one piece. The chemical blueing leaches into the threads and almost welds them together.

Great looking rifle Mark. Glad you have one "under your belt" now. Mine will be on its way to you as soon as the pile of bits gets bigger.

Mark

Never mind about the $10 the first pic shows its blued..lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$10 says the barrel and action you were trying to get apart was blued! Howa blues the barrel and action as one piece. The chemical blueing leaches into the threads and almost welds them together.

Great looking rifle Mark. Glad you have one "under your belt" now. Mine will be on its way to you as soon as the pile of bits gets bigger.

Mark </div></div>

As far as I know every one blues actions with the barrels installed why would Howa's be different?

This is something Pete Roedale told me. The stainless Howa actions come apart way easier than the blued ones. Since Pete knows what he is talking about I wasn't about to question it.

Mark,

I think you may have found a niche market. I have a pair of Howa heavies that shoot as well as any other rifle, custom or not, that I own.

It is also noted that the barrels on the blued rifles are tight as Dick's hatband.

Good luck.

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

I think you may have found a niche market. I have a pair of Howa heavies that shoot as well as any other rifle, custom or not, that I own.

It is also noted that the barrels on the blued rifles are tight as Dick's hatband.

Good luck.

david </div></div>

Like I said, I like the features on the Howa. I think stock to stock the Howa has a few features that I like better than the Remington.

Stronger bolt handle
Better extractor (arguably)
Have not heard of any Howa bolt handles coming off or breaking (obviously have not been tested as much or been around as long to really know for sure)

The Actons on the Howa's are some of the smoothest outside of a custom also. Another nice feature is the bolt take down, no messing up my laces on my boots like the remmys.

Mark, What rates are you charging for a rebarrel on the Vangard/Howa's, Might have some work for you in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I said, I like the features on the Howa. I think stock to stock the Howa has a few features that I like better than the Remington.

</div></div>
I've done a few of these as whispers lately and about the only thing left for me to like better about Remington is the availability of aftermarket accessories. If I could get the variation of stocks, triggers,& scope bases...as easily as and as inexpensively...I'd have no problem ignoring Remington.

Mark - Great work as usual. I love the work you've done for me so far and if there's anything I can do to help/promote, just say the word.

Sounds like you have a niche and now need to figure out how to get rounds out of AI mags into them things.

Rich

CDI i believe makes AI bottom metal for the short actions, and is working on a version for the LA which should be out this spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you have a niche and now need to figure out how to get rounds out of AI mags into them things.</div></div>

For sure! I'd convert my long action to a DBM if they made it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norwiscutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CDI i believe makes AI bottom metal for the short actions, and is working on a version for the LA which should be out this spring. </div></div>

Yes sir. Just checked and it's there. Might have a 243 project in the works here soon now. ;-)

Rich

Have a couple Howa's and for the money I think they are impossible to beat.

I just picked one up in a long action that is going to get turned into a 6.5 something. I can't decide between the 6.5-284, 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI. For pure lazyness I'm leaning 6.5-284 lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norwiscutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CDI i believe makes AI bottom metal for the short actions, and is working on a version for the LA which should be out this spring. </div></div>
CDI bottom metal on Howa in 6 X 47 Lapua , works perfectly.
6x47HowaManners.jpg

I should mention that Pete Lincoln also does bottom metal for the short actions, and that he has been rummored to be developing a LA mag sytem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Actons on the Howa's are some of the smoothest outside of a custom also. Another nice feature is the bolt take down, no messing up my laces on my boots like the remmys.

Mark, What rates are you charging for a rebarrel on the Vangard/Howa's, Might have some work for you in the future. </div></div>

I'm working on pricing and getting my lathe tooled up for Metric threading. I also talked to Dave Kiff about getting some precision bushings made up to dial in the action off of the centerline and possibly just cutting the old threads out and single point cutting them for a standard thread. So I'm trying to figure out what is the direction I will be going with this.

I have been trying to get a hold of CDI and I have had no luck. I'm sure they are just busy keeping up on orders. What do you guys think of their bottom metal??

I have never used them before.

Mark

Thanks for running this thread Mark. As you know, I'm sitting in the bleachers with a Vanguard contemplating a build. This thread has been very helpful.

You probably already know, CDiPrecision is a member here and is good to return PM's.

I've been told a Remington inletted stock will fit a Howa but I don't see how a Rem. stock would work on a Howa with their intregal recoil lug without a far bit of grinding. Does anyone have any further information about this????

Ya thanks for keeping this thread going Mark. I'm also sitting here collecting parts.Getting ready for the Howa build we discussed.I'm ordering CDI bottom metal this weekend so you can see how they work out in person.

Thanks

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya thanks for keeping this thread going Mark. I'm also sitting here collecting parts.Getting ready for the Howa build we discussed.I'm ordering CDI bottom metal this weekend so you can see how they work out in person.

Thanks

Mark
</div></div>

Great, I always love playing around with other peoples toys!!! haha

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Great, I always love playing around with other peoples toys!!! haha

Mark [/quote]

As long as it goes Bang when your done playin...lol

Went by my smith's shop today and he was building a .260 rem on a howa 1500 action.

It was a .223 but he opened the bolt face and installed the 243/308 extractor. It will have the rifle basix trigger, one piece egw 20moa base, custom bolt knob (prototype phase right now) cdi bottom metal / mag system, bartlein 8.5 twist MTU contour bbl cut / crowned at 22 inches,

The stock is a manners t4 adjustable painted in desert gap camo. All the metal is going to be cerakoted in flat dark earth along with customer supplied rings and scope. Its nearly ready to be bedded / cerakoted. I cant wait to see it done. Someone is getting a bad ass howa from Tim Click's Custom Rifles. I will post pics when it is done.

Caught Click talking in the background instead of working on guns. Get to work..and clean your shop.

rwest, thats a sweet lookin' bolt knob. Looks about the perfect length.

Never trust a man with a clean desk.

Nice looking work!! Next in line will be working on the Tikka's & Sakos.

HA HA, If he had time to clean his shop he would be looking for work. He has plenty to do right now. I would offer to clean his shop but he would never find anything ever again. We could have a good garage sale though.

The bolt knob is cool. His own idea. The size was a necessity as the scope and mount provided by the customer is limiting the diameter of the knob. It turned out looking good though. I wasnt sure at first but I like it the more I look at it. The true test will be when it gets used.

I may send one of mine back for the cartridge case deal. It may have been done before but it is a cool touch. I only wish it was my rifle. I cant wait till its finished.

Anyone have CDI contact info or web address. We have had several people wanting to use AI mags on our guns and I was unaware of a bottom metal in existence. I should probably get off the machines more and do some web surfing.

As promised...pics of a bad ass howa built by Tim Click

Let me try on the specs

Bartlein tight bore F Class Contour in .260 Rem cut at 22"
Manners T4A in GAP Desert Camo
CDI Bottom Metal/Mag system for S/A Howa
Timney Trigger breaking at 2.0# crisp
20 MOA base (EGW) from Legacy after a month or two wait
ATS Rings
USO 3.2-17X Snipers Hide Limited Edition #4 mil dot reticle
Custom bolt knob w/260 Rem inset
Everything cerakote in Flat Dark Earth

I shot it....It is phenomenal. I shot 5 and cleaned it then shot a 5 shot group measuring .246 That was shots number 6,7,8,9,10. I was amazed at how accurate it was especially with me shooting it off a bipod.

The load was 42 grains of RL17 in Virgin Nosler Custom weight sorted brass with wolf primers and a 139 Lapua Scenar. It was showing a bit of sticky bolt lift so I will probably back off a bit but it served its purpose today. I only had 20 loaded up to get the scope dialed in and ready for the new owner. The Silent One.

drool...

im getting a wilddog heavy varmint stock for my heavy 223 howa, cant wait as it shoots in the .23's as is!!

howa just know how to build rifles. end of story.

has anyone else used wilddog stocks on howas? i have seen a few on those preeeety rifles out of germany.....

jimi

Please let us know how you like the Wilddog stock. I was looking at that stock for my 223 but AUS $ not so favorable right to USD $ right now

i know, always the way, when i wanna buy something from the states the AUS dollar is no good, and when im not looking it shoots up!!!!!!!

at the moment the only thing im considering getting from the US is a nightforce nxs, but your government thinks i will ship it to the taliban or some such rubbish....and ont let anyone export scopes......go figure?

maybe some rings and mounts would be less of a threat to national security.....ill look into it, lol

dont worry, if you think your government is getting harsh on gun laws, just google ours down here.....

has its good points and bad points though.

thanks guys, jimi

Mark, do continue to update this thread with your Howa progress... I have been contemplating a build between Savage and Howa, and was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Savage action, but for the same amount of money of a Savage action I can get a factory barreled action with trigger and Factory Bottom Metal for the Howa... Aftermarket accessories currently available for Howa aren't many, but the ones already available are enough for a build and fits me just fine, I just need a good smith to put it together and not really looking to ship overseas for that.

Eagerly awaiting more news on this project of yours.
smile.gif
Thanks for continually working to improve this sport/hobby for the rest of us!