• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any INTEL on OTTE gear?

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
I am considering an order from OTTE, found them by google, any good or bad? Sounds like they offer what I want, climber cut fit and materials with tacticoolness but know nothing about them.

http://www.ottegear.com/main.php

I have used Integral Designs, Wild Things and Patagonia in the past to stitch up one-offs for me and they all now have military contracts and offer multicam. But all of them but ID are a nightmare to deal with and all have political views that I do not agree with and would rather not support them any more for their views unless I have too.

Thanks

Re: Any INTEL on OTTE gear?

I have spoken with a couple of guys who wear it and got nothing but good feedback, but I don't have any personal input.

I have looked at getting their hardshell parka and pants, but held off because my issued stuff still works.

Military Morons has reviewed some of their gear...worth checking out...positive reviews.

I almost pulled the trigger on an OTTE patrol parka but went for an Arc'teryx LEAF Alpha jacket instead. My bunions tell me Afghanistan is going to be colder than normal this year:)

Thanks guys, still kicking it around, lot of coin for outerwear.
I did read, I think it was Military Morons reviews at least a review that mentioned changing their use of material but it reads the same material on OTTE site. I do plan on land-lining them before/if I drop the coin.

Dead Bird (arteryx) yea, I tried to get a jacket through my rep, he is an independent outside rep to get me it but he cannot get the military side which is a totally different division inside dead bird that is AD only, but I may work him again. I have no inside rep at dead bird to work deals. One reason I am looking elsewhere. I was afforded the opportunity to test dead bird MX on their dime around 10 years ago or so, absolutely top shelf kit....too bad they wanted it all back!

I really liked the OTTE Patrol Parka -- construction, fit, color, and material were great, but the upper arm pockets were sewn on too far back.

I returned it (from Baghdad) as they don't do changes. The parkas are sewn in China, and you gets what you get.

I picked up the Patrol Parka and Pants this this year for an up coming sniper school. I did not need them in the school but wore them about 5 times practicing out in the rain. I am a fan. I do not use the arm pockets so I did not notice the placement. Everything else was excellent. It Kept me dry in prolonged wet weather and the hood adjusts so that I it does not hinder getting behind the weapon. The LE/Mil discount helped also.

I bought the Patagonia dimension jacket and hit it with a can of DWR spray the year before. I wore it in a 4 day class in the rain and hated it. I was very wet and the cut was not conducive to shooting or wearing with gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The parkas are sewn in China, and you gets what you get. </div></div>

Wow. That is mucho dinero for communist imports.

I have a DK (light) jacket that is the single most versatile and effective piece of clothing I own. I've worn that thing more than any other jacket I have (and I'm a jacket fiend). I can't say enough about how perfect that thing is for a GP soft shell.

I haven't bought them yet, but the Alpha pants are supposedly the same construction/material as the DK jacket.

The Arcteryx Alpha stuff is the best crafted gear I've personally ever seen. I don't own any Otte gear, but I checked it out at SHOT. If you want the absolute best, rock the bird.

Arcteryx Alpha at 7k ft

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444_2.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

I have an Alpine Jacket. It is pretty nice. The material is very water resistant, it even sheds other liquids like oil, sap, grease, even honey. It is made to be worn under body armor or chest rigs and screams "Tactical". The hood is a great feature but if you roll it in to the collar it becomes very irritating.

Bottom line I like but it is not suited for street use, just too high profile.

I bought a set of the CADPAT hard shell tops and bottoms due to the smoking price (compared to the other colors) a few years back - worn it for extended periods in cold/cool wet rainy conditions, with other water like salt spray and ground puddles at the same time....worth every dollar. Kept me dry and comfortable.
IMG_0050.jpg

You uh.... Have a bear in your boat mate!

As for OTTE, I had a play with it at shot. It looks sexy but for that price, I'd say try to get your hands on it first. Supremely pricey pieces of clothing. MM did a good write up like said, check him out too.
It's all good stuff, narrow it down to features.

Almost dropped the coin 2x this week but having a hard time reasoning this decision. All my technical clothing is back home in Alaska, gave it to my sons. I abused soft shells in the Alaska backcountry for years but I really see no reason to have or use it here in Kensucky...just want it. Schoeller dynamic is my favorite fabric and performed the best in Alaska, I have some tops and bottoms stitched up by Black Diamond 10 years ago that was my main system. Patagonia initial attempt at soft shell was quite good, still one of my favorite systems. Not really a stretch woven but open weave. WildThings I had just did not perform, the fleece backing caused too much friction for unimpeded body movement which most material has these days. Ibex wool soft shell is #2 on my performance list. Some of this newer soft shells not so impressed as the market has been flooded with the term and seems more for soccer moms but..not that I need it here.

According to OTTE, all kit is now stitched in the US:

Otte Gear is a veteran-owned company that manufactures the highest quality US-made and Berry Amendment-compliant clothing systems. We manufacture all levels of the PCU (Protective Combat Uniform) and the Gen III systems, as well as customized items. Please contact us directly about your requirements.

Thanks all, still kick'n it around trying to justify this purchase.

Another line to consider, is TAD gear. TAD

They are made in the USA in small batches. They make different weights and offer a good choice of tactical/street styles. They don't have much in stock now, but come sept/oct they get their new shipments starting to roll in, and they don't last long at all.

Prices are a little less that Arcteryx LEAD and OTTE, and TAD stands behind their stuff. Also, due to the limited production runs, it resells pretty good if you ever want to get rid of it.

I have TAD Battle Hoodie LT and love the design but it is just a BDU uniform shirt. Not for any type of inclement weather, TAD web site on this jacket is miss leading. At the time, TAD did not have soft shells, led me to beleive it was a soft shell of some type, in her words not verbatim, it does not have the fleece backing that soft shell do so just wear a fleece jacket, she did not really understand soft shells. Google one day found OTTE so now I have the wants. I am not sure on thier fabric but sound like fleece backed but no one calling me back or answer the phones.

Coin for dead bird is too much to fly, plus I want soft shell with roll hood in some sort of camo. Even thinking about Sitka.

Trying to find a soft shell that does not have fleece backing, all this does is add weight and causes friction between clothing, dead bird exclusively uses this type soft shell. I am trying to find a soft shell like Schoeller Dynamic that is a hard back soft shell but I may never find.

Thanks

The Arcteryx Combat jacket isn't fleece lined, but it doesn't have a hood. That's the only one I know of.

If you do decide on dead bird anytime in the future, look me up. I get a discount on the LEAF stuff.

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to report on my 2 season use of the Otte Patrol Parka (earth), like the fit, i take a medium long in the ECWCS parkas and a medium Patrol fit me well. Waterproofing while the coating is fresh is great, breath-ability is so so. When you get moving you'll be sweating under that thing and the only place its going is down your back. The first thing that went was the pockets, they're folded and glued inside, the glue held but the exposed edge inside the pocket started delaminating...i thought i could live with that, a bit of tape and its fixed. Then the main zipper started misaligning and would not mate properly, eventually failing completely, the hood draw strings are routed through chanels on the inside of the hood, the chanels are glued on and eventually started peeling off, and the peripheral vision adjust on the hood just snapped off on one side....
overall i give it a thumbs down.
oh and that's just from being a mall ninja and cycling..no real hard use.
they said they could fix it, at a cost, i'd need to send it in for an estimate,wait 6 weeks etc...gonna get a new one from someone else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Trying to find a soft shell that does not have fleece backing, all this does is add weight and causes friction between clothing, dead bird exclusively uses this type soft shell. I am trying to find a soft shell like Schoeller Dynamic that is a hard back soft shell but I may never find.

Thanks </div></div>

The DK (Light) jacket is your answer.

I have the OTTE Alpine Jacket and pants....Awesome - The only gripe I have is the jacket doesnt seem to dry out as quickly as I thought it would. The pants are awesome, again, only gripe is I had a zipper on one of the pockets fail within the first couple of uses - That may have been my fault though.

Otherwise awesome stuff, very comfortable and quite quiet.

Thanks everyone, still on the fence about this, trying to nail down which jacket is and which is not made in the USA.

My alpine jacket (several years old) is made in USA and one of the best soft shells I have used. Being an old climber I have used many except the newest generation stuff. Only complaint about the Otte is the shoulder/arm pockets are too small, typical. About all they're good for is a can a chew and a range card, but they don't hang up when shouldering a large pack. Extremely well made, definitely "alpine cut". I am 6'2", 205 lbs with long arms and XL is perfect with one or two light layers underneath, no more. No issues under a big pack but serious exertion mandates venting the front, opening the main pockets, and only a light layer of wool underneath as it is not as breathable as some, but more weatherproof. Also have a set of their cadpat hard shell raingear as it was quite a bargain for a time and it is excellent, lie in the mud and snow kit. Never heard about the "sewn in China" stuff but things may have changed. I would say it is the equal of Arcteryx, not as lightweight but similar quality. Can send you some pics if you want.
Best,
James

I have a pair of the hardshell pants and they are really nice. No experience with the other stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Arcteryx Alpha stuff is the best crafted gear I've personally ever seen. I don't own any Otte gear, but I checked it out at SHOT. If you want the absolute best, rock the bird.

Arcteryx Alpha at 7k ft

IMG_0443.jpg

</div></div>

What pack are you using here?

I just pulled the trigger on an Otte Gear DK Heavy Soft Shell. Waiting on delivery but it has very promising reviews. Made in the USA too!

I am a fan of Arcteryx (own several items) but look at where they are made. Last couple I picked up and looked at say China. To get a Berry Compliant Arcteryx it will cost you more than the Otte and comparing the cost you can find better deals with Otte Gear.

Todd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainHammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Kifaru Marauder. Great pack. I had two, but sold that one and kept my Gen 2. It was overkill on that trip, and kind of kicked my ass. I plan on getting one of their new ultra-light weight ones for my Yosemite trip this june.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just pulled the trigger on an Otte Gear DK Heavy Soft Shell. Waiting on delivery but it has very promising reviews. Made in the USA too!

I am a fan of Arcteryx (own several items) but look at where they are made. Last couple I picked up and looked at say China. To get a Berry Compliant Arcteryx it will cost you more than the Otte and comparing the cost you can find better deals with Otte Gear.

Todd </div></div>

Some of the higher end stuff is still made in Canada. The 2 items I have that are made in Thailand, are still pretty high quality. I use my Alpha, the jacket in that pic above as a benchmark of quality against any other makers work, and it's pretty hard to touch. Under that jacket I'm wearing an Atom LT for insulation. It's lightweight, a very smart design, and well made. It's not as well made as my Alpha, but it only cost $129, which is a great value.

I talked to Arcteryx at SHOT last year, and brought up the gear community's concern about the overseas manufacturing of some of their stuff. They said that they have strict QC standards on those items, and the demand for their stuff warranted the move. Or, like the Alpha, the price would put them right at the very top, but, almost out of the market. There isn't exactly a long line of people willing to pay $750 for a jacket, no matter how nice it is.

For the Berry Compliant stuff, you're right. You can find better deals when it comes to cost, but IMO, I don't think the quality is there. Again, I don't mean to denigrate OTTE's quality, or even infer that it isn't good stuff, I just don't see the mix of material/craftsmanshipt/style/ or innovation that Arcteryx brings to the game. Look at the new stuff from them. It's only a matter of time before TAD, OTTE, and others start making hybrid garments, mixing two or more materials. It's a lot less expensive to copy someone than it is to innovate.

All that being said, I'm sure I'll end up with something from OTTE, as I believe in rewarding companies that still keep design and MFRing domestic, and in the end I'm just a whore for jackets anyways.

Here are some pics from a review I did of my Alpha a couple years ago..

Micro-stitching everywhere....and look at the work that went into that elbow articulation.

DSC06522.jpg

perfect seam laminations, welded interior pockets, cinch cord routing..

DSC06523.jpg

Original designers of waterproof zippers, zipper garages, and shrink tube wrapped zipper pulls.. all of which are copied by everyone now, to a lesser standard most of the time.

DSC06519.jpg

I've seen some of the hardshell OTTE jackets and they are nicely made. But I bought Arcteryx gear instead. I have a Atom, Alpha LT, and also a Fisson SV. Great jackets and other products as well.

Cut

I own the parka and trousers ( again, the price for the CADPAT was very tempting, perfect colours for northern Europe as well ) worn them all winter whilst working and they have done what you expect them to, kept me dry. well cut and comfortable.

I would / will buy from OTTE again.

Got to play with a buddy's DK Hybrid jacket recently. Definitely a cool idea to add hard shell panels on top while retaining the stretchy soft shell breatheability elsewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The parkas are sewn in China, and you gets what you get. </div></div>

Wow. That is mucho dinero for communist imports. </div></div>

I've dropped a lot more than that on some communist imports.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic103</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainHammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Kifaru Marauder. Great pack. I had two, but sold that one and kept my Gen 2. It was overkill on that trip, and kind of kicked my ass. I plan on getting one of their new ultra-light weight ones for my Yosemite trip this june.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just pulled the trigger on an Otte Gear DK Heavy Soft Shell. Waiting on delivery but it has very promising reviews. Made in the USA too!

Todd </div></div>

Some of the higher end stuff is still made in Canada. The 2 items I have that are made in Thailand, are still pretty high quality. I use my Alpha, the jacket in that pic above as a benchmark of quality against any other makers work, and it's pretty hard to touch. Under that jacket I'm wearing an Atom LT for insulation. It's lightweight, a very smart design, and well made. It's not as well made as my Alpha, but it only cost $129, which is a great value.

I talked to Arcteryx at SHOT last year, and brought up the gear community's concern about the overseas manufacturing of some of their stuff. They said that they have strict QC standards on those items, and the demand for their stuff warranted the move. Or, like the Alpha, the price would put them right at the very top, but, almost out of the market. There isn't exactly a long line of people willing to pay $750 for a jacket, no matter how nice it is.

For the Berry Compliant stuff, you're right. You can find better deals when it comes to cost, but IMO, I don't think the quality is there. Again, I don't mean to denigrate OTTE's quality, or even infer that it isn't good stuff, I just don't see the mix of material/craftsmanshipt/style/ or innovation that Arcteryx brings to the game. Look at the new stuff from them. It's only a matter of time before TAD, OTTE, and others start making hybrid garments, mixing two or more materials. It's a lot less expensive to copy someone than it is to innovate.

All that being said, I'm sure I'll end up with something from OTTE, as I believe in rewarding companies that still keep design and MFRing domestic, and in the end I'm just a whore for jackets anyways.

Here are some pics from a review I did of my Alpha a couple years ago..

Micro-stitching everywhere....and look at the work that went into that elbow articulation.

DSC06522.jpg

perfect seam laminations, welded interior pockets, cinch cord routing..

DSC06523.jpg

Original designers of waterproof zippers, zipper garages, and shrink tube wrapped zipper pulls.. all of which are copied by everyone now, to a lesser standard most of the time.

DSC06519.jpg

</div></div>

medic103

Very well put.

Soft-shell wise I have a North Face (cant remember the model) and for the money it serves its purpose. I have a Hart soft-shell and it also is in the same situation as the NF but not quite as nice. The third is an Arcteryx Ventra SV and it's a very nice piece of kit. Adding the Otte DK Heavy to the inventory I hope is a wise choice and all will serve it's own purpose.

Todd

I have been trying to reach otte gear staff re an order and they have not answered the phone or responded to my emails. Anyone know whats up?

I have been trying to reach otte gear staff re an order and they have not answered the phone or responded to my emails. Anyone know whats up?

I think I have a problem too.

I ordered the patrol parka yesterday but I didn't get any conformation email. So I sent an email asking for that but have yet not received anything. I'm REALLY hoping there is somebody at the other end taking care of business.

Anyone know anything about this firm what's going on with them?

Aslo this is not very encouraging:

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/12/17/otte-gear-holiday-sale/

Last edited: