• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Jiu Jitsu practitioners here

I have my 9 and 11 year old in it 5 days a week. It's not the easiest thing you can do because they roll every class.

Both my kids love it when they can control a roll enough that the other student starts to get angry.

Actually, it's probably about the hardest 90 minutes you can ask of a kid. Even so the techniques are so intricate and precise that I'm sure it's as good for mental development as for physical development.

I have a friend and a daughter in law that are black belts here in AZ. The DIL teaches classes in Phoenix. My son, a blue belt, doesn't like to roll with his wife because she hurts him sometimes, lol! She's around 115 lbs and he's around 220 lbs. He can over power her but she's way more technical.

Last edited:
I did it for 3 years. Loved it but had more injuries in 3 years of BJJ than I've had in 25 years of competitive hockey. Never had back problems before or after it but for 3 years I was going to the chiropractor 2-3x a week and always in pain. Since I quit never had a problem again. I guess my body wasn't made for that type of grind. Very humbling and the commeradery was amazing.

I did it for 3 years. Loved it but had more injuries in 3 years of BJJ than I've had in 25 years of competitive hockey. Never had back problems before or after it but for 3 years I was going to the chiropractor 2-3x a week and always in pain. Since I quit never had a problem again. I guess my body wasn't made for that type of grind. Very humbling and the commeradery was amazing.
That's too bad. It sounds like the bluebelt curse. I know today more schools are putting the MMA aspirants in a separate class because most middle aged guys don't want to have to fight like their life depends on every roll.

My facility is very technical which I like. My brother trains at another facility here in Pittsburgh with a slightly different lineage and you can definitely tell. My kids absolutely love it as do i.

I do Miagi doe!

We got beaf. :mad:☠️🤣🤣🤣

iu

3rd year white belt here.

Done a couple comps and honestly I'm certainly not above average, but that's alright with me- I have a serious career, lotsa projects, lotsa hobbies- I'm getting better day by day and am a way better person than I was when I started.

It's a blast!

I wrestled through college and then some. Got into mma for a while because that’s what washed up wrestlers do. Worked into a few live tv fights. My BJJ style evolved into more of a combat wrestling (Big surprise) than pure BJJ. Just altered a few things to get where I needed to go.

In highschool took back yard lessons form a guy trained in Jiu Jitsu. Group of about 5 of us that weight lift and rolled with each other.

As an adult I took private lessons from a buddy, who instructs at a dojo and has black belts in multiple forms, but focused mainly on Shotokan. Staying on your feet, striking.

Have the up most respect for people who master this stuff!!!

I recently had a listener email me saying that the podcast convinced him to put his kid in BJJ and asked me about gyms in his area. Good news for him, there are a TON of top gyms in his area. Thought it was cool to influence him enough for him to see the value of getting his 2 kids in bjj.

In highschool took back yard lessons form a guy trained in Jiu Jitsu. Group of about 5 of us that weight lift and rolled with each other.

As an adult I took private lessons from a buddy, who instructs at a dojo and has black belts in multiple forms, but focused mainly on Shotokan. Staying on your feet, striking.

Have the up most respect for people who master this stuff!!!
along those lines its hard to really find a JJ (or other art) dojo/studio that doesnt cross over anymore

i "blame" MMA for that, not bad blame ..as they have made the arts become more popular which is a good thing.

like most guys ive had a few different instructors and as im getting older (44) im becoming more of a traditionalist..which is harder to come by

youll go somewhere and you find your doing different strikes or positioning that is not the "pure form"

if i was going for fighting or self defense being well rounded is great, but sometimes im looking to focus on a certain style.

its all good though, any training is better than no training

im actually thinking of kendo a lot lately

my son has done a few competitions post covid (kempo) and there is a early 20's female that has been doing kendo katas

all joking aside beside the rigid training (which is think is important)

the damn outfit is so cool

sparring with bamboo sticks has to be fun

and truthfully the pants just look so cool when in comp

Reactions: GreenGO Juan

Growing up all the kids on my street did karate. Every now and then their dad's would get little pieces of plywood out and let Jr bust them in the yard to prove to all the other kids not to screw with them.

We all kinda knew it was BS and I thought all martial arts were kinda stupid other than boxing.

Went to a couple BJJ classes- saw a 160 pound instructor strangle a college defensive tackle 5 times in 3 minutes with zero chance of losing.

Got strangled by a female 50 pounds lighter than me with the same frequency.

BJJ (especially the mma/ wrestling focused variety) is like the promise of all the other arts fulfilled.

Teaching kids BJJ is like teaching rattle snakes to bite. It’s cute until…

Agreed.

I love seeing the light bulbs come on and use a technique in a roll to perfection. My favorite is seeing a kid jump to a back take and hold back control until they get the choke. They look like little stuffed animal backpacks.

along those lines its hard to really find a JJ (or other art) dojo/studio that doesnt cross over anymore

i "blame" MMA for that, not bad blame ..as they have made the arts become more popular which is a good thing.

like most guys ive had a few different instructors and as im getting older (44) im becoming more of a traditionalist..which is harder to come by

youll go somewhere and you find your doing different strikes or positioning that is not the "pure form"

if i was going for fighting or self defense being well rounded is great, but sometimes im looking to focus on a certain style.

its all good though, any training is better than no training

im actually thinking of kendo a lot lately

my son has done a few competitions post covid (kempo) and there is a early 20's female that has been doing kendo katas

all joking aside beside the rigid training (which is think is important)

the damn outfit is so cool

sparring with bamboo sticks has to be fun

and truthfully the pants just look so cool when in comp
I don’t have any children but I’ve got four nieces and nephews. My brother put his boys in jujitsu and my sister put her girls in Taekwando but their dojo is multi forum too. Its great for kids IMO!

Its already paid off for my 7 year old niece. A boy in her class kept messing with her. She complain to the teachers, nothing, my sister complained to the faculty. nothing was done to stop it. so my brother-in-law told her next time he messes with you, kick him. She did and he has not messed with her since.

I enjoy the training but it is hard on the body. I kept breaking fingers and toes. I don’t wanna lose my dexterity in my hands I enjoy playing the guitar too much.

I don’t have any children but I’ve got four nieces and nephews. My brother put his boys in jujitsu and my sister put her girls in Taekwando but their dojo is multi forum too. Its great for kids IMO!

Its already paid off for my 7 year old niece. A boy in her class kept messing with her. She complain to the teachers, nothing, my sister complained to the faculty. nothing was done to stop it. so my brother-in-law told her next time he messes with you, kick him. She did and he has not messed with her since.

I enjoy the training but it is hard on the body. I kept breaking fingers and toes. I don’t wanna lose my dexterity in my hands I enjoy playing the guitar too much.
funny same kind of story

younger sister in law (not at time of story) was a dancer for ever so here legs are like steel, trained in TKD

guy was messing with her in high school

dad told her kick in the nuts

next time boy was messing with her she push/tripped him

kid apparently got up pissed and she blasted him in the nuts...went to the hospital off the grass

solved that problem

• Haha
Reactions: GreenGO Juan
Everybody’s got martial arts jokes, until they try a class and get their asses handed to them.

My son is 5’8”, and about 130 lbs, and a blue belt; he’s been training for about 6 years too. We’ll get beefy white belts showing up to ‘advanced class’ once they get a couple of stripes. They’ll pick him during free roll because he’s an ‘easy win.’ They quickly learn he’s a back pack they don’t want to wear.

He really gets frustrated when they try to teach him something during the free roll. That’s when he takes the gloves off…

Everybody’s got martial arts jokes, until they try a class and get their asses handed to them.

My son is 5’8”, and about 130 lbs, and a blue belt; he’s been training for about 6 years too. We’ll get beefy white belts showing up to ‘advanced class’ once they get a couple of stripes. They’ll pick him during free roll because he’s an ‘easy win.’ They quickly learn he’s a back pack they don’t want to wear.

He really gets frustrated when they try to teach him something during the free roll. That’s when he takes the gloves off…
1000%

same with sparring

they come in and think because they punched a guy in a bar 5 years ago they can spar...not so much

Nephew trained heavily in martial arts with myself and others for a long time (age 5 starting). He is a 2nd degree black belt in Isshinryu, and first degree in two other styles, and purple belt in BJJ. He was training 3-6hrs a day every day while home schooling, and doing a lot of competitions. He took a bunch of state belts, and eventually won a world championship. He trained his entire life to go into special operations, and got "no go" for his eye sight. That was a hard day for him, his family, and myself. That kid (not really a kid anymore) is a battle beast.

The nice thing is that he is a gentleman, very respectful and really lives the code of Bushido. Just like a Samurai, he reads greek classics, mushais works, and similar things on his down time. For anyone who wonders if their kid should do martial arts, he is a great example of why they should.

For people who have seen my FB or IG posts, this is one of the nephews that lived with us during the summer to train. Summer camp at Uncle Sticks means you do pull ups each time you want to eat or drink (water is free, no pullups needed).

I skipped the martial arts training and took that money and invested heavily in ammo , I don't anyone touching me.....

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
A coworker has me convinced I need to get into BJJ. My dept provides zero defensive tactics training despite my best efforts to appeal to their liability mindset; should we end up hurting someone in a brawl, they’ll be on the hook.

For any LE, check out the Adopt-A-Cop program online. They’ll pay for a weekly BJJ class at participating gyms (if you stick with the program, and provide proof you’re attending) up until you reach a certain belt.

And, a funny martial arts meme a buddy sent recently.

C30E41E9-C9A6-4DFA-B5DD-3219B24200BE.jpeg

A coworker has me convinced I need to get into BJJ. My dept provides zero defensive tactics training despite my best efforts to appeal to their liability mindset; should we end up hurting someone in a brawl, they’ll be on the hook.

For any LE, check out the Adopt-A-Cop program online. They’ll pay for a weekly BJJ class at participating gyms (if you stick with the program, and provide proof you’re attending) up until you reach a certain belt.

View attachment 7856597
I think a few people at the gym I'm going too are there through the adopt-a-cop program. I can't see how BJJ would not be a huge benefit to any sort of LEO.

There's a girl at the gym who just joined the local fish and game. She is probably 120ish lbs and it sounds like she had a blast during the combative portion of their training...

I'm a 2+ year blue belt now. Do it solely as a hobby but it is fun and a good way to lose weight too. I dropped 50 lbs in about 8 months from when I started and have stayed within 10lbs of that weight for the past 4 years now...

View attachment 7856597
Funny meme, but age and strength and speed are the natural counters to skill. Anyone that says 'you don't need strength for bjj' doesn't know what they are talking about. A fast and strong white belt can catch a black belt napping. I've done it. Once...

If youve listened to my podcast at all, there have been multiple episodes where i talk about the value of BJJ for law enforcement. It is by far the most effective tool when it comes to hands on type scenarios minus going to the bat belt and ending someones life. Using a Kimura to restrain someone to put them in cuffs is far better for them, the perp, the department, and the country than a knee to the neck of someone about to OD on fentanyl. Not to mention, a lot of LEO's are legitimately scared for the lives in certain physical situations. BJJ gives you the confidence to stay in that situation without the immediate thought to pull a gun.
Ive mentioned before on the hide that the cops that i do BJJ with, are some of the best guys in the gym and compete on the regular. amazing bjj practitioners. They are the cops that i would want to respond to my son being drunk and stupid when he's older. Theyre going to choke him tf out. Guess what... He'll live to see his day in court. I'd hate to think about what would happen if a scared ass rent-a-cop showed up with a gun and my son was being retarded and tried to fight a cop. BJJ blue belt should be a requirement for all cops.

And for those wondering, the consensus seems to be absent regarding what to call 'jiu jitsu practitioners.' It is a shame that we are so tortured with the wording of our sport. Jiu jitsu practitioners, BJJ players, those that train in Brazilian jiu jitsu. However, a google search suggested two alternatives.

The first is jiu jitsuka, as jiu jitsu is a Japanese martial art. Reference Judoka being the Japanese word for a Judo practitioner.
The second is jiu jitsuteiro, as Brazilian jiu jitsu is a Brazilian martial art.

And, one for the memes...
frabz-Brazilian-JiuJitsu-What-my-friends-think-I-do-What-my-mom-thinks-6d48dc.jpg

practitioner/player is what i typically use. The way i describe BJJ is "involuntary yoga".
I've opted for "sweaty guys rolling around on the floor in uncomfortable pajamas."

Reactions: BLEE