• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Jiu Jitsu practitioners here

“John Danaher”
“Craig Jones”
“Matt Serra”
I guess Gracie really isn’t that hard to pronounce…
1654726992184.jpeg

The Grappling Industries Tournament in Buffalo last Saturday -- my son had to move up a weight class in order to get a match. He took silver in gi and silver in nogi. My daughter did a double gold with seven wins. Four by submission, two by points and one disqualify.

View attachment 7900299
Nice job! They must be training a lot. My kid is not feeling so serious about training so I am always on him.
Looks like you are a member of the Hapa club.. good stuff man.

Had some really good rolls tonight. My most painful and unpleasant, as per usual, was with young spazzy white belts. Smh. 100 mph, using all of their strength, and acted as though they were trying to wrestle a knife away from me. I hope people didn't feel that way about me when I 1st started.

Had some really good rolls tonight. My most painful and unpleasant, as per usual, was with young spazzy white belts. Smh. 100 mph, using all of their strength, and acted as though they were trying to wrestle a knife away from me. I hope people didn't feel that way about me when I 1st started.
Did they spit on you? Why the fuck do some of them drool 🤤. Yeah, I'm sure you annoyed someone, we all do it. But I didn't drool! I can't decide what's worse, the spit, or the heavy breathing in your face...

I don’t know that I’ve ever been drooled upon while rolling, but white belts don’t yet know how to breath while rolling. They’re working too hard and breathing out of their mouths like every breath is their last. In and out through the nose.

And yes, we were all white belts. And, to one extent or another, we all did the white belt shit. Either through exuberance or hubris, we spazzed, rolled too hard, bragged about the sub we didn’t know we were given, unnecessarily coached in the middle of a roll, and generally made idiots of ourselves. Many of us had great teachers (not just the coaches) that taught us the unwritten rules without telling us the rules. Then we belted up. The Jiu Jitsu circle of life.

Nice job! They must be training a lot. My kid is not feeling so serious about training so I am always on him.
Really don't want to sound like a dick, but this is probably going to sound dickish.

Don't push him to train, if anything it will make a kids rebellion instinct kick in, and you really don't want that (nor does he, he just doesn't know it yet).
Try and figure out a way to *help* him want to work out, it has to be his decision in his own mind, no matter what you think.
(remember what it was like being his age and how you felt when someone tried to force you to do something....or even worse, when Daddy brought out the belt)
There's a time when being a friend is more important than being a father, be subtle, but be that friend.
Figure out a reward system if nothing else works.
Maybe use the old "girls really like buff dudes" line or something.
Be creative, but really be careful about being harsh or too *dad'ish*.

I honestly mean this with the best of intentions.....I hope it's taken that way.
NOT trying to say how you should treat your kid, AM trying to help.

Really don't want to sound like a dick, but this is probably going to sound dickish.

Don't push him to train, if anything it will make a kids rebellion instinct kick in, and you really don't want that (nor does he, he just doesn't know it yet).
Try and figure out a way to *help* him want to work out, it has to be his decision in his own mind, no matter what you think.
(remember what it was like being his age and how you felt when someone tried to force you to do something....or even worse, when Daddy brought out the belt)
There's a time when being a friend is more important than being a father, be subtle, but be that friend.
Figure out a reward system if nothing else works.
Maybe use the old "girls really like buff dudes" line or something.
Be creative, but really be careful about being harsh or too *dad'ish*.

I honestly mean this with the best of intentions.....I hope it's taken that way.
NOT trying to say how you should treat your kid, AM trying to help.
WTF! How dare you tell me what to teach my kid!

Haha.... just playing.. actually your totally right, I tend to be a high intensity person very demanding of myself, and that can reflect in my fathering skills, and how I push people. I do need to make it more fun probably. I'm still learning, fatherhood is a work in progress.

Reactions: diverdon
Thank-you. My kids do train a lot. I had them at a legit Karate dojo for 5-1/2 years before letting them check this out. I did tell them that when they got their junior karate black belts they could try something new.

I figured I would let them try judo, fencing and BJJ. I called the owner at Lake Effect and verified that he had enough 9/10/11 yo too give my kids plenty diversity to roll with. Then asked if my kids would be allowed to roll on there first class. He gave me a maybe on that one.

Day one with three five minute roll under their belt they enthustically chose BJJ as what's next.

Training for them is a habit. It's a habit they've chosen. There are times when perhaps they would perhaps like to slack off. I push them over small humps. It's not too hard to keep them going because they've made friends and the pace of development is incredible.

I do get them at least one private per week with a purple belt or higher. This helps them to avoid bad habits and shortcuts.

It also let's them see that there are adults working at it as hard as they do, and gives them every opportunity to avoid roadblocks.

Today was the AGF Tournament in Rochester NY. Two more golds for my daughter and two more silvers for my son. Damm proud of them.

On a side note, I’m moving up to South Carolina in a few weeks and get to be the new guy in a gym, and potentially test out a few gyms.

For anyone looking for a gym, here are my criteria, yours may differ, but these work for me.
-Commute - on days when you’re feeling lazy, working late, pick your excuse - a closer gym is easier to make class at
-Class schedule - where can you make the most classes?
-Culture - if you’re a competitor/MMA fighter, pick a place that has fighters. If you’re a hobbyist, pick a place that won’t feed you to the wolves. Pick a place that’s fun to train for you.
-Level of instruction - some guys have awesome competitive resumes, and are decent teachers. Some guys are phenomenal teachers, but may not have a massive
competitive resume. Pick what fits you.
-Cleanliness - some guys are germophobes, and some think staph is a myth made up by the Big Soap Industrial Complex. Pick the gym on your side of the argument.

Let me know where in SC you're moving. I may be able to offer some options for training.

Thank-you. My kids do train a lot. I had them at a legit Karate dojo for 5-1/2 years before letting them check this out. I did tell them that when they got their junior karate black belts they could try something new.

I figured I would let them try judo, fencing and BJJ. I called the owner at Lake Effect and verified that he had enough 9/10/11 yo too give my kids plenty diversity to roll with. Then asked if my kids would be allowed to roll on there first class. He gave me a maybe on that one.

Day one with three five minute roll under their belt they enthustically chose BJJ as what's next.

Training for them is a habit. It's a habit they've chosen. There are times when perhaps they would perhaps like to slack off. I push them over small humps. It's not too hard to keep them going because they've made friends and the pace of development is incredible.

I do get them at least one private per week with a purple belt or higher. This helps them to avoid bad habits and shortcuts.

It also let's them see that there are adults working at it as hard as they do, and gives them every opportunity to avoid roadblocks.

Today was the AGF Tournament in Rochester NY. Two more golds for my daughter and two more silvers for my son. Damm proud of them.
My kids habit is video games. Need to change that.

My facility is very technical which I like. My brother trains at another facility here in Pittsburgh with a slightly different lineage and you can definitely tell. My kids absolutely love it as do i.
Jigstick, are you doing the Grappling Industries Tournament August 13? I'm waiting to be able to see the list. If they have kids the age/weight of my kids signed up then we might be able to make it.

Jax had a good night at rank review. At the end of kids rank reviews, we have super fights. Just pick 2 random kids and let them roll. No timer, just roll until theres a sub. This kid Jax rolled is a year older, 10lb bigger, and a stripe higher than Jax. Momma needs to work on her video skills tho. Jax got the fastest sub of the night. He's in black the other kid is in the blue gi.

Jax had a good night at rank review. At the end of kids rank reviews, we have super fights. Just pick 2 random kids and let them roll. No timer, just roll until theres a sub. This kid Jax rolled is a year older, 10lb bigger, and a stripe higher than Jax. Momma needs to work on her video skills tho. Jax got the fastest sub of the night. He's in black the other kid is in the blue gi.

Osssss!

Looks kind of similar to my kids wrestling match we just got home from.

GJ Jax

Reactions: diverdon
I have been to 3 training sessions and LOVING it!!!

I wrestled in high school and had some BRUTES on our team.

I'm almost 40, hadn't been on a mat in 20+years and I can't describe with words how AMAZING it is to be back!

I'm making sure I'm just a humble student and willing to listen and learn.

I'm also on day #5 of cleaning out my diet .........it's time for a transformation 💪

To me, there's nothing more humbling than having someone impose their will on you physically.......and when starting a new form of grappling.......you're gonna get SMASHED....over, and over, and over......

I can honestly say that it's mind blowing how fast a person can choke you out.

I have 2x sons.....my youngest would be a complete beast with training.....however......I've never introduced any grappling to him.....and he's already the knuckle head getting into trouble at school for putting hands on kids.....mostly provoked but some not....

To those who have/or train kids.........by in large is introducing BJJ/wrestling problematic to kids who already have a tendency to be knuckleheads?

He's 7.5 yo and I just don't know if he will have the impulse control to not start wrecking kids at school............what's everyone's thoughts ?

I'm almost 40, hadn't been on a mat in 20+years and I can't describe with words how AMAZING it is to be back!

I'm also on day #5 of cleaning out my diet .........it's time for a transformation 💪

To me, there's nothing more humbling than having someone impose their will on you physically.......and when starting a new form of grappling.......you're gonna get SMASHED....over, and over, and over......

I have 2x sons.....my youngest would be a complete beast with training.....however......I've never introduced any grappling to him.....and he's already the knuckle head getting into trouble at school for putting hands on kids.....mostly provoked but some not....

To those who have/or train kids.........by in large is introducing BJJ/wrestling problematic to kids who already have a tendency to be knuckleheads?

He's 7.5 yo and I just don't know if he will have the impulse control to not start wrecking kids at school............what's everyone's thoughts ?
Yes. My 10 yr old is hyper, big, and strong. He loves jujitsu and stays focused better there than anywhere. Thing is, if he gets mean, there is always someone around to, at a moment’s notice, “gently” teach him what losing feels like.

I hit the mats for the first time last night. I wanted to wait until today to post. Just to make sure I could get out of bed first. Man I got tied up in some impressive knots, like Eagle Scout level shit. I’m sore as hell, tired as hell and ready as hell to get back to it.

@Dot3 Welcome to the club. You should probably tell your family and friends that for the next 2 years you are going to be a weird mix of cross-fitter and Jahova’s Witness. Every conversation will relate back to “last night in class” and you’ll be recruiting strangers off the street to “meet our lord and savior, Carlos Gracie.” Slowly, you’ll realize that the first night was everyone taking it easy on the new guy.

Schools are not teaching any useful life lessons like discipline, rational thinking under stress, and real world problem solving these days so it is beyond awesome to see that the martial arts are stepping in to fill that role. There are two Taekwondo dojos in my AO which had been in operation even before I was born, and for the most part of the 2000s, membership was slow and steady. They are long established grandfather-father-son dojos which advertise through pure neighborhood word of mouth and they get by fine as the sons also manage Chinatown/K-town freight hauling businesses. However, from 2021 onward, membership had EXPLODED. They are running extended hours now and it seems that the entire neighborhood is bringing their children in for courses and the kids are absolutely enthusiastic about the entire thing, from the disciplinary exercises to the actual sparring. They are outside on the sidewalk even during closed days, wearing their TKD uniforms and holding sparring matches with surrounding store owners and restaurant patrons gathering around to watch. The message from parents around here is simple: Public school has become a useless cesspool of SJW propaganda and "neh neh neh neh neh neh muh carbon consumption" bullshit, and they want their kids to be actually successful and learn real skills and coping strategies that will help them throughout life.

Training builds confidence! Most idiots don't push confident kids. Most confident kids don't need to push other kids. When kids train in a good acadamy/dojo with coaches who demonstrate good character, most conflict just never happens.

My kids have been told that if they are challenged they can invite the challenger to the acadamy for a no time limit roll and or sparing match. It has not happened yet.

Reactions: Sako man
I just found this thread. I'm a purple belt who's been training off and on since 2003. Had a decent 21 fight mma career back when MySpace was cool. I'm not training right now, just can't find the time. The closest school is an hour away, so it's a 4 hour ordeal to go, which just doesn't work. My little girl is 4, and I'm hoping she will want to train in a year or 2, and then I'll be able to get back.