• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any MOPAR techs here?

Dirty D

Resident Sommelier of cellulite
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Your moms house
I ordered a replacement key for my son’s 2011 Dodge Dakota and it isn’t even programmed despite the fact that they ordered it by the VIN and the local dealer wants $250 to program it. I have Googles the programming sequence and didn’t find one for the Dakota, I tried a sequence I found for a Ram 1500 but it didn’t work.

Mopars suck for this, seriously they are the single worst vehicle made in light of having a separate antenna/receiver/computer for EACH door.
No, I am not kidding.
Every other vehicle on the planet has 1 antenna, 1 receiver, 1 computer (usually in the BCM).

Long ago I knew how to do it.....long ago I forgot how.
Yes I do remember you'll probably have to run thru the sequence at least 2 times and probably 4-5 before it "takes".

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu
I had Jeep keys done at a local locksmith for about a third what the dealer wanted.

Reactions: Nik H
Try this

1. Prepare Vehicle
    ENTER Vehicle and CLOSE all doors.
  2. Enter Programming Mode – Step 1
    INSERT a working remote head key into the Ignition and TURN it to the ON/RUN position.
  3. Enter Programming Mode – Step 2
    PRESS and HOLD the UNLOCK button on the working remote head key for 4-10 seconds.
  4. Enter Programming Mode – Step 3
    WHILE holding the UNLOCK button, PRESS the PANIC button until a chime sounds to indicate successful entry into Programming Mode.
  5. Release Buttons
    RELEASE BOTH the PANIC and UNLOCK buttons.
  6. Press Buttons
    PRESS BOTH the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on the same remote head key until a chime is heard.
  7. Program Remote
    Once the chime is heard, WITHIN 30 seconds PRESS and RELEASE the UNLOCK button on that same remote. Another chime will sound indicating successful programming of that remote.
  8. Program Additional Remote
    WITHIN 30 seconds, REPEAT Step 7 for ALL remotes (even working remote head keys) that you want to work with your vehicle.
  9. Exit Programming Mode
    TURN Ignition to OFF/LOCK and REMOVE key to EXIT Programming Mode.
  10. Test Remotes
    TEST all remotes. Programming is complete.

Try this

1. Prepare Vehicle
    ENTER Vehicle and CLOSE all doors.
  2. Enter Programming Mode – Step 1
    INSERT a working remote head key into the Ignition and TURN it to the ON/RUN position.
  3. Enter Programming Mode – Step 2
    PRESS and HOLD the UNLOCK button on the working remote head key for 4-10 seconds.
  4. Enter Programming Mode – Step 3
    WHILE holding the UNLOCK button, PRESS the PANIC button until a chime sounds to indicate successful entry into Programming Mode.
  5. Release Buttons
    RELEASE BOTH the PANIC and UNLOCK buttons.
  6. Press Buttons
    PRESS BOTH the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on the same remote head key until a chime is heard.
  7. Program Remote
    Once the chime is heard, WITHIN 30 seconds PRESS and RELEASE the UNLOCK button on that same remote. Another chime will sound indicating successful programming of that remote.
  8. Program Additional Remote
    WITHIN 30 seconds, REPEAT Step 7 for ALL remotes (even working remote head keys) that you want to work with your vehicle.
  9. Exit Programming Mode
    TURN Ignition to OFF/LOCK and REMOVE key to EXIT Programming Mode.
  10. Test Remotes
    TEST all remotes. Programming is complete.
Just hope you have a stock stereo.

Alpha OBD and program your own keys.

Don’t know if the 2011 Dakota is supported though but that’s what all the other RAM guys use.

I need another key made for my single cab but don’t want to buy it lol.

Reactions: ken226
Let us know how many times you have to run thru the programming before it works, please ?

Thanks, these wanna-be jackstand home garage mechanics on this forum think they know shit.
They don't.
They only know rumors and 'heard it froms' and nothing real or of substance.

If you do have to go to the dealer, find a wrench (mechanic/tech) and ask them if they are on the reynolds and reynolds system.
If they are, don't walk away, run.
C'mon you poseur wanna be's.....tell me ALL about working for Chisler (Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep/MBZ/Fiat/and whatever else Stellantis).

• Haha
Reactions: ken226
Let us know how many times you have to run thru the programming before it works, please ?

Thanks, these wanna-be jackstand home garage mechanics on this forum think they know shit.
They don't.
They only know rumors and 'heard it froms' and nothing real or of substance.

If you do have to go to the dealer, find a wrench (mechanic/tech) and ask them if they are on the reynolds and reynolds system.
If they are, don't walk away, run.
C'mon you poseur wanna be's.....tell me ALL about working for Chisler (Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep/MBZ/Fiat/and whatever else Stellantis).
What the fuck does the dealerships internal computer system have to do with anything?

I found a speed shop with programming capability and got both my vehicles anti-theft systems disabled. They're GMs though. Don't know about the mopars if they can be disabled

you trying to program to start it or just lock/unlock doors? Been doing this for long time and have never seen one that could program the immobilizer without a tool/scanner to do it. honda requires you have login to their diag software and im pretty sure dodge requires a code given for each vehicle and a pod as they call it and their software but i know there are some aftermarket tools that can do it. Autel scanner

You would have to have worked for Chisler to know, wouldn't you ?
I worked at a few Mercedes dealerships several years ago that used Reynolds. Is that close enough? Unless we’re talking about completely different systems…

Edit: No matter which computer system a dealership used, it would have no bearing on my ability, or lack thereof, to program a key or to even provide an estimate for said repairs

Last edited:
Alpha OBD and program your own keys.

Don’t know if the 2011 Dakota is supported though but that’s what all the other RAM guys use.

I need another key made for my single cab but don’t want to buy it lol.

I've used AlphaOBD to program new key fobs for my Ram1500 several times.

Programming a key fob is done by connecting to the trucks radio frequency hub. Looking through the options in AlphaOBD, I see the option to connect through a 2008-2012 Dodge Dakota Powernet RF hub, to the trucks Wireless Control Module. So, it appears that AlphaOBD can do it for the 2011 Dakota.

I use the OBD-Link MX Bluetooth to interface AlphaOBD to my truck. It worked great when I decided to replace the Borg Warner 44-44 auto transfer case with a mechanically locking BW 44-45. At the time I was driving alot of mountain roads in the North Cascades in winter, and hated the way the auto transfer case kept slipping in/out of engagement on snow and ice. With the 44-44, the "lock" option doesn't actually lock.

I've used AlphaOBD to program new key fobs for my Ram1500 several times.

Programming a key fob is done by connecting to the trucks radio frequency hub. Looking through the options in AlphaOBD, I see the option to connect through a 2008-2012 Dodge Dakota Powernet RF hub, to the trucks Wireless Control Module. So, it appears that AlphaOBD can do it for the 2011 Dakota.

I use the OBD-Link MX Bluetooth to interface AlphaOBD to my truck. It worked great when I decided to replace the Borg Warner 44-44 auto transfer case with a mechanically locking BW 44-45. At the time I was driving alot of mountain roads in the North Cascades in winter, and hated the way the auto transfer case kept slipping in/out of engagement on snow and ice. With the 44-44, the "lock" option doesn't actually lock.
See there you go. Internet mechanic for the win lol.