• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

New front triangle, fresh brakes, complete suspension service including dampers, new tires, and after 32 years on 175mm cranks I'm trying it 170mm...

PXL_20230427_211550535.jpg

@jbell

Did you change your chain ring size? With the 165mm cranks I purchased 34T, 32T and 30T to try them all out. It's pretty flat here so the 30T might never make it on the bike. Also, did you feel any difference in peddle cadence?

@jbell

Did you change your chain ring size? With the 165mm cranks I purchased 34T, 32T and 30T to try them all out. It's pretty flat here so the 30T might never make it on the bike. Also, did you feel any difference in peddle cadence?

I stayed with my normal gearing: 10-50 with a 34 up front. I only have 1 quick ride yesterday on this setup (10 miles) b/c I'm racing gravel tomorrow. I feel like my RPE was a little lower with the shorter cranks. Based on a real short ride I am happy, I'm going to run this set up for a while.

I'm thinking about going shorter on my gravel bike too.

I stayed with my normal gearing: 10-50 with a 34 up front. I only have 1 quick ride yesterday on this setup (10 miles) b/c I'm racing gravel tomorrow. I feel like my RPE was a little lower with the shorter cranks. Based on a real short ride I am happy, I'm going to run this set up for a while.

I'm thinking about going shorter on my gravel bike too.
Good to know. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: jbell
@jbell

Are you using Aspen 29x2.25 or 29x2.4? I have the 29x2.25 and I have always used skinny tires for xc. However, I just came across an older video stating that wider is better for xc and I’m looking for some advice on sizing. The vid made some really good points, so just looking for opinions on sizing.

@jbell

Are you using Aspen 29x2.25 or 29x2.4? I have the 29x2.25 and I have always used skinny tires for xc. However, I just came across an older video stating that wider is better for xc and I’m looking for some advice on sizing. The vid made some really good points, so just looking for opinions on sizing.
2.4 Aspen! They are the best XC tire I have ridden & I have tried a LOT of tires. I have many thousands of miles on these tires. When mounted on a 25mm (narrowest I would ever recommend) up to 30mm internal rim width they truly outclass everything as far as minimalist tread XC tire (Weight, rolling resistance in all conditions, traction in all directions, durability, and ease of gettin on and off most rims). I regularly ride them on the road and can be within a MPH or two average (as long as the course isn’t too climby) of my Crux with 35mm slicks. Dont get me wrong you will not have DHF/DHR traction but you will also not feel like your dragging boat anchors.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
2.4 Aspen! They are the best XC tire I have ridden & I have tried a LOT of tires. I have many thousands of miles on these tires. When mounted on a 25mm (narrowest I would ever recommend) up to 30mm internal rim width they truly outclass everything as far as minimalist tread XC tire (Weight, rolling resistance in all conditions, traction in all directions, durability, and ease of gettin on and off most rims). I regularly ride them on the road and can be within a MPH or two average (as long as the course isn’t too climby) of my Crux with 35mm slicks. Dont get me wrong you will not have DHF/DHR traction but you will also not feel like your dragging boat anchors.
I appreciate the response. I think that I will give the 2.4 Aspens a try.

Incase anyone is interested. ZOIC clothing is having a sale today. The code is 29er, it's one their website too. here's a link.

Pre riding all the stages of the Grand Enduro for next weekend. Took some time to look at line options....I'll be happy just spectating on this one.
I'm getting to the point I don't ride all the "Features" even on a good day, this course is pretty nasty. We helped a couple guys get their buddy off the high speed "Ribbon" stage with a severly broken ankle....Ouch. Really puts you in check for the rest of the ride.
Bike 4.PNG
Bike5.PNG
Bike6.PNG

My last ride a couple of days ago was good until my handle bars hit a tree gate. Since I cut the handle bars down to 720mm I have been getting more risky. On a slight down hill section, at Erwin Park in McKinney, I caught the tree and I didn't even hit the brakes. I was too late I was OTB. I didn't feel like I got hurt to bad until the next day, sucks getting old, my shoulder is kinda fucked up. Hopefully, I can get back out soon.

I cut mine to 780 because that’s naturally where my hands fall. I used the below video to help figure out my ideal width. I noticed some of my swrist pain decreased when I started using the right width.

I just pulled the trigger on a YT Decoy after demoing one over the weekend. I was really surprised at how well it rode and jumped. Gonna keep the acustic bike too for when I ride with others.

Pre riding all the stages of the Grand Enduro for next weekend. Took some time to look at line options....I'll be happy just spectating on this one.
I'm getting to the point I don't ride all the "Features" even on a good day, this course is pretty nasty. We helped a couple guys get their buddy off the high speed "Ribbon" stage with a severly broken ankle....Ouch. Really puts you in check for the rest of the ride.
View attachment 8146556View attachment 8146557View attachment 8146558
You liking that Assegai?

My last ride a couple of days ago was good until my handle bars hit a tree gate. Since I cut the handle bars down to 720mm I have been getting more risky. On a slight down hill section, at Erwin Park in McKinney, I caught the tree and I didn't even hit the brakes. I was too late I was OTB. I didn't feel like I got hurt to bad until the next day, sucks getting old, my shoulder is kinda fucked up. Hopefully, I can get back out soon.
Yep, crashing sucks more the older we get. Hope it heals on it's own my friend, had one bolted back together in '09.

^^LOL, I've done the same on my Domane disc. Probably going to put cx tires on it now that I don't road ride anymore since I'll never get anywhere near what I've got in it if I sell it.

You liking that Assegai?
We typically ride the Minion DHF, but found a killer deal on the Assegai last year and the Minion was nowhere to be found locally so I thought what the heck.
They are big and somewhat slow rolling (kinda like me) but are very grippy and corner pretty darn good in the terrain we ride here. I like 'em but If I were to make a choice, I'd probably go with the Minion DHF. I ride like an IDIOT at times over the chunk and they have held up great.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Getting some disapproving looks in the parking lot. Wish I could see their faces after they hear "on your left"...
View attachment 8152023
Ha....that's great!! Had a guy come around me on a gravel bike like I was tied to a stump the other day. We were on a short dirt road back to the truck so I gave chase for about 300 feet....after that he just walked away from me:LOL::ROFLMAO: I didn't have a chance!!
Those S-Works bikes are incredible. Already going 15 MPH sitting still.

Does anyone know what yesterday was???

New bike day!!’ 😜

Took the plunge to snag an ebike. Keeping my acoustic bike too but this is going to be great for getting in more riding when pressed for time.

Just got it built, still have to get it out for a shake down ride and a few other upgrades.

C2F85953-DF4D-4447-986C-43F58B1AF2BF.jpeg

0C5466C2-9318-4794-BA46-D150C1FC31FF.jpeg

35786A07-B196-4E04-9E25-0FC463F501AC.jpeg

New bike day!!’ 😜

Took the plunge to snag an ebike. Keeping my acoustic bike too but this is going to be great for getting in more riding when pressed for time.

Just got it built, still have to get it out for a shake down ride and a few other upgrades.

View attachment 8158870
View attachment 8158869
View attachment 8158871
I gotta hit you up about riding in Arkansas other than just the Bentonville area. The family group has been eyeballing some areas in Arkansas to move to and we might buy in on the property purchase also.

New bike day!!’ 😜

View attachment 8158870
View attachment 8158869
View attachment 8158871
Gorgeous eMTB!!! My analogue bike hit the for sale block after riding my eMTB for just a couple of weeks. You can tailor the workout using the assist level and go faster or further which really adds some snap to a workout ride. I live in some very flat terrain but have a 10-15 mile preserve in my backyard that has two track and single track. I can rip around and get all of that done in 40-60 minutes. With the assist level button, I keep my HR at the planned levels the whole time. Game changer.

Reactions: Rerun7
Gorgeous eMTB!!! My analogue bike hit the for sale block after riding my eMTB for just a couple of weeks. You can tailor the workout using the assist level and go faster or further which really adds some snap to a workout ride. I live in some very flat terrain but have a 10-15 mile preserve in my backyard that has two track and single track. I can rip around and get all of that done in 40-60 minutes. With the assist level button, I keep my HR at the planned levels the whole time. Game changer.

Yeah, I demo’d one before buying and my heart rate was almost the same as my regular bike. I just went 2x as far and the speed you can get on flat terrain is a blast.

I was worried I’d have issues jumping a heavier bike but had no issues as all. It was actually more stable in the air and I didn’t feel like I was going that much faster to clear stuff. I was immediately sold.

Reactions: charbroiled
I gotta hit you up about riding in Arkansas other than just the Bentonville area. The family group has been eyeballing some areas in Arkansas to move to and we might buy in on the property purchase also.

Yeah, hit me up. I ride NWA all the time so I haven’t hit other parts of AR as much. There are still a lot of trails here I haven’t seen yet.

Come to NWA and I’ll give you a trail tour, it’s a blast here.

The extra weight of the emtb is nice especially on bigger jumps it's like the extra weight helps load the suspension better.

Were planning another Bentonville trip last couple ones we had to bail at the last second. I imagine the summer weather is about the same as it is here. Could get get some first thing in the morning riding in, and ride late afternoon. Were just Southwest of Fort Worth it's a 7 hr trip with the trailer. I know initially they were looking around Batesville, which Syllamo was the only trails near there. I would rather wind up more on the western side. It's probably 5+ years out.

Same, my wife and I are planning a recon trip to North West and North Central Arkansas. Sort climbing and cycling are our priorities. I would love any info y'all can provide!

Same, my wife and I are planning a recon trip to North West and North Central Arkansas. Sort climbing and cycling are our priorities. I would love any info y'all can provide!
I know the group is looking more north central, I want to be further west as there is a TON of riding. Some people go to Bentonville and say its not enough natural tech blablabla (STILL FUN!). There is plenty of natural riding like in Hobbs, Leatherwood, Passion Play, Syllamo.... I have not ridden anything that is further south. Hopefully this summer and fall we will be making more trips. It will be a bunch easier when my 12 yo is just a couple years older and can handle a bunch more riding. We may go to Bentonville in July

I’m at my daughters in Bella Vista , a trail runs past her house. Place is geared for biking for sure. All over NWA in fact. May want to try Mt Nebo in Dardanelle , seems quite popular 🍻 🇺🇸

We usually stay at the RV park in Bella Vista as you can ride right over to slaughter pen or hit the trails in Bella Vista or Huntl
Always wanted to visit Bentonville ever since MTB magazine did the Bible of bikes test there several years ago.
I’ve never been to Arkansas

Come on and ride here 👍 Think you would be pleasantly surprised at all Arkansas has to offer. Lots to do and see in NWA. 🍻
🇺🇸
What's your overall opinion of living in Arkansas? The politics seem ok, people are good southern folk from what I have seen. But what is you opinion of cost of living for someone who's kids are gone?

What's your overall opinion of living in Arkansas? The politics seem ok, people are good southern folk from what I have seen. But what is you opinion of cost of living for someone who's kids are gone?
It really depends on where you go in Arkansas. I’ve lived in a few areas of the state and NWA is the best by far. It has the most diverse range of activities and terrain. It’s also quite a bit more upscale and better maintained.

The further south and East you go it gets to be poor and rural communities. Places like Little Rock have quite a bit of crime. There are some cool places all over the state but only one I’d consider living in.

Cost of living is reasonable, I plan to stay here when I retire.

Reactions: missed
Always wanted to visit Bentonville ever since MTB magazine did the Bible of bikes test there several years ago.
I’ve never been to Arkansas
It's a blast. Bentonville area has a ton of fun trails a variety of riding. You can go out to lake Leatherwood, Nebo for some more elevation.

Reactions: Trophy Case
We usually stay at the RV park in Bella Vista as you can ride right over to slaughter pen or hit the trails in Bella Vista or Huntley

That’s a nice little spot. Not sure how many places you’ve explored from there but you’re also riding distance from the Wonderland trails and several of the trails connected into the Back40.

For people saying they want more natural stuff, it’s around. You named a few and there’s also like 50+ miles of trail cut through Bella Vista, Handcut Hollow, Centennial Park and several others if you know where to go.

I love the flowy jump trails. The eBike is going to help me more enjoy the XC style riding my wife likes too.

That’s a nice little spot. Not sure how many places you’ve explored from there but you’re also riding distance from the Wonderland trails and several of the trails connected into the Back40.

For people saying they want more natural stuff, it’s around. You named a few and there’s also like 50+ miles of trail cut through Bella Vista, Handcut Hollow, Centennial Park and several others if you know where to go.

I love the flowy jump trails. The eBike is going to help me more enjoy the XC style riding my wife likes too.
I liked that spot as it is right there to hit back 40 and just a couple mile easy cruise to Slaughter Pen. Last time we were there we kept getting rained out and pretty much just rode the back 40 and Rail Yard until the last day. We went to Huntley and Coler the time before. My wife would like a more like a state park spot with a bit more room instead of " a giant parking lot"

How is it there in July and August? I imagine hot and somewhat humid. It shouldn't be much different than North Texas, we ride early or start riding about the last hour of daylight or put the lights on and hit it at sunset. Every time we have been there is been November and January.

Lived here on and off all of my life and won’t go anywhere else , so I’m biased probably ? I live in the Arkansas River Valley on the River , between the Ozarks and the Ouachita ( wash-a-tah) Mountains. Only other places I would live is NWA , East of there until the Heber Srings area , then South to Hot Springs area. I HATE the Little Rock area , lived and almost died there 😳 Conway area used to be cool , too crowded now 👎 The Western parts of the state is nice around Mena , Greenwood , S of Ft Smith. Land is available , prices for homes and land vary by sections of the state you look. The BAD is property taxes are high , sales taxes suck and vary County to county.
Prices for everything has gone up like everywhere , gas today was $ 3.00 per gallon in Bella Vista , my town $3.19. Cost of living is below the average states.

Red State , Constitutional Carry State too 👍 People as a rule are nice and mostly friendly , might see a fight between who helps change a flat tire ! Arkansans like to talk , so that’s good and bad lol ! Most people respect your choices and don’t get in one’s business which is cool ! Don’t take people for being dumb or backwards, might surprise ya.
Bad /Negatives : Hot and HUMID in Summers , Bugs like ticks and chiggers..mosquitoes are rampant , Copperheads, Cottonmouths , Rattlesnakes need to be on the lookout for when in the boon. Traffic in bigger towns sucks. Winters are cold , but mild by Northern standards. Beautiful Falls & Springs , way to short vrs Summer & Winter though.
If this helps 👍 if you need anything just holler 🍻 🇺🇸

I liked that spot as it is right there to hit back 40 and just a couple mile easy cruise to Slaughter Pen. Last time we were there we kept getting rained out and pretty much just rode the back 40 and Rail Yard until the last day. We went to Huntley and Coler the time before. My wife would like a more like a state park spot with a bit more room instead of " a giant parking lot"

How is it there in July and August? I imagine hot and somewhat humid. It shouldn't be much different than North Texas, we ride early or start riding about the last hour of daylight or put the lights on and hit it at sunset. Every time we have been there is been November and January.

You nailed it. Hot, humid and dusty because the trails get pretty dry. For the last several weeks it’s been amazing but it’s rained off and on a lot so easy to ruin weekend plans. I had to cancel several rides with friends I had planned.

There are some state park style places like what you mention but unfortunately none that are close to the trails that I know of. About an hour from here is Devil’s Den which is a beautiful place and I’ve heard there are trails there but I haven’t ridden them. There are also some places near Lake Atalanta but I think they are parking lot style as well.

Coler is probably my favorite place to ride around here. There’s just a mix of everything.

What do you consider high property taxes? I think ours are 2%
I figure they might be low in comparison to other states , but so are incomes.
Confusing tax structures , real estate , commercial and private. I live in a small town and own a 3,900 sq foot house on 4 city lots. House will be 100 yr old next year.
I have to pay $1,900.00 per year to the County , and I’m Grandfathered in.
Sales taxes on groceries and stuff depends on the town or area , my town is like 10%.
To me, that’s high , to many no big whoop.

Thank you Sandhog308. I grew up in North Georgia so I know bugs & snakes. My wife is from Maine so... But she is well traveled and can handle most anything.

I have lived in Maine the last 20 years while raising my kiddos but they graduated last week, and both are out of New England at least for now, we just sold everything and are headed SOUTH! Western NC, East Tennessee, and South West Virginia were on our short list but after a recon trip this spring we are going to look into N. Arkansas for the climbing and riding it offers.

Like I said my brother is in Sherwood Arkansas (stationed at Camp Robinson for now) he doesn't hate it there. He and his wife really like NW Arkansas.

We don't have any job interests, other than trying to keep a little food on the table and help support my kids if they need it. Our main goal is to work as little as possible so we can recreate (riding, climbing, hiking / backpacking, hunting, & fishing). So we are wide open as far as options go.

I really appreciate all the info you guys have provided.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Thank you Sandhog308. I grew up in North Georgia so I know bugs & snakes. My wife is from Maine so... But she is well traveled and can handle most anything.

I have lived in Maine the last 20 years while raising my kiddos but they graduated last week, and both are out of New England at least for now, we just sold everything and are headed SOUTH! Western NC, East Tennessee, and South West Virginia were on our short list but after a recon trip this spring we are going to look into N. Arkansas for the climbing and riding it offers.

Like I said my brother is in Sherwood Arkansas (stationed at Camp Robinson for now) he doesn't hate it there. He and his wife really like NW Arkansas.

We don't have any job interests, other than trying to keep a little food on the table and help support my kids if they need it. Our main goal is to work as little as possible so we can recreate (riding, climbing, hiking / backpacking, hunting, & fishing). So we are wide open as far as options go.

I really appreciate all the info you guys have provided.
No problem at all Marine 🇺🇸 When you recon the area in Spring give me a heads up !
Or if there’s anything I can help you with before , holler.
Think Arkansas might be a good place to land 👍
I lived in Sherwood for quite a few years. It outgrew me ! Still not a bad place to be stationed , nor the AFB in Jacksonville. I remember when Sherwood was small.
ps : as far as demographics, follow the chickens 🐓

I‘ll leave a light on 🇺🇸🍻

Need to get a SH Bentonville trip going! Were going to be halfway there for the Texas State 3D archery match early July. We are thinking about going to Bentonville after for a few days then come home.

Were planning on an late September/early October trip also.

Reactions: Sandhog308