• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

Did someone mention a size 4 GG..... This is my favorite bike thus far. Good luck on your search.
Why yes.... I'm on a #3 right now and really like it. I think I'll love a #4. Need just a little more room. I'm 6'2" I was right on the edge of a 3/4. Then I got a great deal on my 3. I have a mega trail and the parts for a Gnarvanna.

@missed , The size 4 fits me perfect. I’m 6’2” and I run it in the long position. If you’re ever around Western NC you’re welcome to test ride Pisgah on it. It’s currently configured into a Smash. I almost went with the Gnarvanna but decided on the Smash in the end. As you know it’s only a shock stroke and stays away from being a Gnar.

Look at Guerrilla Gravity. Carbon fiber made in America by Americans and very affordable. I have a older aluminum Mega Trail and its the best bike ive owned. I can ride it XC and mini DH. I live near Windrock and the bike has no issues handling the gnar.

edit: its 26” ftw!

Thanks for the replies. I think I have put the cart before the horse. I have already decided on a new bike. I am looking at the Pivot Mach 4 SL XT/XTR. Now the more important stuff I just need to get back out there and ride what I have. I did one ride so far and my lungs were dying. It will be some time before I order a new bike as I am not in shape enough to justify a new bike to myself. Especially one that cost $6500 at this time. I may have to sell some guns to do it.
My daughter is on a Mach6 XT, its a solid bike no complaints. I have ridden it a little just screwing around. She has been happy with it.

I keep switching between wanting a HT or FS. I just keep having a hard time with the FS being 25+ when my old ass bikes weigh way less than that.

I like the SCOTT SPARK RC 900 PRO and it weighs in just under 24.47 lbs. So, that's close to my FS I have now. The Guerrilla Gravity Trail pistol with everything I want is 28.8 lbs and that's with all of the lightest shit in their custom build section. Then the Pivot Mach 4 SL Pro XT/XTR might weigh 23 lbs ( I haven't found the actual weight, going off the 429). I am really liking the Pivot LES Pro XT/XTR the most right now and it's a HT.

My daughter is on a Mach6 XT, its a solid bike no complaints. I have ridden it a little just screwing around. She has been happy with it.

I like that bike it's just a 27.5" and I am looking at 29". I want the 29" because the trails near me aren't that tight and if I come across some nice single track stuff that's tight I can use my 26". I may eventually get a 27.5 after the 29 and retire my old bikes.

I was on an old Gary Fisher back in the 90's and then decided to jump back into the sport when my kids became old enough to ride about 5 years ago. My local bike dealer basically said to ditch the old whip and don't look back and yes he was correct. The new bikes have become longer and slacker. The modern geometry is designed to put you in a much better riding position, they climb awesome and allow you descend with confidence.
Depending on what you ride, there are better choices than others and you guys are talking about some really light and awesome XC MTB's here....Geeeez!!!
I was originally on a 2017 Pivot Switchblade then last summer picked up a 2021 Yeti SB 130 LR. Both are killer bikes and classified as mid travel 29ers but most importantly....they are PERFECT for me and for what we ride around here.....chunky, technical ups and downs with drops and jumps.
There are so many great bikes out there and the best thing you can do when spending that kind of money is to attend some demo events. Hopefully some of the COVID restrictions will relax a bit so the demo tours will start up again and typically they are very inexpensive to attend or completely free. Here in Western Colorado (Pre Covid) there is an annual 3 day demo that costs just $45....just inquire at your local bike shop.
My advice is ride several bikes if at all possible....some will feel awful and some will feel awesome. Don't get to caught up on components either, most of the up to date stuff is great across the board. My Pivot had all Shimano XT/XTR and my Yeti is built with SRAM XO and both have been really solid.
Good luck!!!

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Fwiw I have a few different bikes at present, some with shimano XT and some with SRAM xx1 and xo1. I have a definite preference for the sram setup. Drivetrain seems to shift faster and with more authority. The brakes are more consistent and easier to modulate without giving up any power (current generation guide rsc). The XT brakes seem inconsistent and harder to modulate. I’ve also had more trouble keeping them bled.

I like that bike it's just a 27.5" and I am looking at 29". I want the 29" because the trails near me aren't that tight and if I come across some nice single track stuff that's tight I can use my 26". I may eventually get a 27.5 after the 29 and retire my old bikes.

I've got a first-gen Mach 429 Trail, and swap between 29" and 27.5+ wheelsets depending upon terrain/use/mood. It's a great in-between bike - more suited to bashing than a dedicated XC rig, but also more suitable for the occasional XC race than my Mach 6. It gets more user than any other MTB in my fleet because it works over a range of conditions.

Nowadays, you can pretty much select your travel in 10mm increments, so the biggest problem is figuring out what you "need". For non-competitive purposes, any reasonably modern bike (<5 years old) of the proper size and in good working condition will get the job done for all-around use. Fitness and skill still matter more than anything else except for maybe the most specialized domains. You could put @jbell on an enduro/all-mountain bike and he'd kick my ass in an XC race, and @missed would beat me at enduro even if he was stuck on a hardtail. I've done enough testing of my fleet on local trails to know that how I feel on any particular day is way more important than my equipment. A buddy and I both set PRs during the same ride on a local trail last year; I was on my fat bike, and he was on his Salsa gravel bike. What mattered most was that I could hear him breathing down my neck every time I stopped pedaling; the bike was almost a non-factor at that point.

If I had to give advice to a random person with non-specific needs, it would be to pick a full-suspension rig in the 115-130mm travel range, with as good of components as you can afford, fit it properly to your body, and install the right tires for your local terrain. Then go ride it until your legs fall off and your lungs catch fire, and repeat as necessary. If you're lucky enough to live in an area with terrain that requires more travel, awesome; buy a 150-160mm enduro bike, and please invite me on a ride someday. If you live in the upper Midwest and ride in two seasons ("snow" and "sand"), maybe buy a fat bike instead. If you want to do something like 60% gravel, 20% road, and 20% trail, go buy one of the latest gravel bikes with a suspension fork and flared bars; it's basically like riding a 20-year-old hardtail MTB in a slightly more aero position.

Reactions: Tono
Fwiw I have a few different bikes at present, some with shimano XT and some with SRAM xx1 and xo1. I have a definite preference for the sram setup. Drivetrain seems to shift faster and with more authority. The brakes are more consistent and easier to modulate without giving up any power (current generation guide rsc). The XT brakes seem inconsistent and harder to modulate. I’ve also had more trouble keeping them bled.
Agree on the way the XT Brakes feel, they come on real hard and bite. I never did like the SRAM Levels or GS line, but the CODE RSC's on my Yeti are absolutely awesome and they do modulate better than the XT's for sure.
I got along with the Shimano XT's probably due to my 220 lb riding weight.
Bottom line is the components keep getting better and better.
Anybody tried HOPE or Magura?

If I had to give advice to a random person with non-specific needs, it would be to pick a full-suspension rig in the 115-130mm travel range, with as good of components as you can afford, fit it properly to your body, and install the right tires for your local terrain. Then go ride it until your legs fall off and your lungs catch fire, and repeat as necessary. If you're lucky enough to live in an area with terrain that requires more travel, awesome; buy a 150-160mm enduro bike, and please invite me on a ride someday. If you live in the upper Midwest and ride in two seasons ("snow" and "sand"), maybe buy a fat bike instead. If you want to do something like 60% gravel, 20% road, and 20% trail, go buy one of the latest gravel bikes with a suspension fork and flared bars; it's basically like riding a 20-year-old hardtail MTB in a slightly more aero position.
Agreed

Thanks to everyone. I have been reading every thing here. I decided to go with the Pivot Mach 4 SL in stealth. I noticed that all the manufacturers have set components for their bikes. As I look at the Pivot Mach 4 SL XT/XTR it only has the the XTR derailleur. While a nice upgrade over the XT. I think I would appreciate it more if it came with the XTR cassette as that ones lighter. Also, I have been looking at SRAM GX Eagle components and they have some really good reviews.

Would it be worth while to have my LBS build the bike to what I want to start off with? That way I can mix and match for what I want. I would probably go with either Shimano or SRAM and mix and match between their lines. For example mixed and match Shimano XT with XTR. I have shaved weight in the past by using the XTR cassette with XT hubs.

BTW, I got out yesterday after work and put some time on the old Phat Cat FS. Working on hill climbing as that really makes my lungs burn right now and gives the quads a good pump.

Edit: I should have added that I can put a bike together. I have done that before. However, I suck at tuning a bike and have always had to take it to LBS to get it dialed in. So, I figured have them build it up and tune it.

Last edited:
Agree on the way the XT Brakes feel, they come on real hard and bite. I never did like the SRAM Levels or GS line, but the CODE RSC's on my Yeti are absolutely awesome and they do modulate better than the XT's for sure.

The XT brakes are awesome - I love 'em. But it took a while to figure them out. It's very easy to bleed off too much speed by squeezing the level just a touch too hard; a minor adjustment in corner entry speed can turn into a full stop. My wife's bike has Code brakes for this very reason - they are easier to modulate.

Brake pad type should be considered as a variable as well. The SRAM Rival brakes on my gravel bike got much better when I swapped out the stock organic ("resin") pads for semi-metallic, and these pads are in track to last longer in the crappy conditions that I typical use this bike. As a bonus, the brakes now work really well as an audible warning device :cautious:
Thanks to everyone. I have been reading every thing here. I decided to go with the Pivot Mach 4 SL in stealth. I noticed that all the manufacturers have set components for their bikes. As I look at the Pivot Mach 4 SL XT/XTR it only has the the XTR derailleur. While a nice upgrade over the XT. I think I would appreciate it more if it came with the XTR cassette as that ones lighter. Also, I have been looking at SRAM GX Eagle components and they have some really good reviews.

Would it be worth while to have my LBS build the bike to what I want to start off with? That way I can mix and match for what I want. I would probably go with either Shimano or SRAM and mix and match between their lines. For example mixed and match Shimano XT with XTR. I have shaved weight in the past by using the XTR cassette with XT hubs.

BTW, I got out yesterday after work and put some time on the old Phat Cat FS. Working on hill climbing as that really makes my lungs burn right now and gives the quads a good pump.

Edit: I should have added that I can put a bike together. I have done that before. However, I suck at tuning a bike and have always had to take it to LBS to get it dialed in. So, I figured have them build it up and tune it.

Price-wise, you're better buying a complete bike. Your LBS will get shit pricing on Shimano parts (if they can get them at all right now). Drivetrain parts in particular are ripe for upgrade when they're worn or damaged. The frame and suspension parts should effectively be "lifetime" components with proper care and maintenance, so select those carefully. I'd probably spec the base wheelset, and then build up something special later. I built my two most recent sets using Lightbike carbon hoops, DT hubs, and bladed DT spokes - pricey parts, but still way cheaper than a complete wheelset.

@E. Bryant

Roger that, on ordering the bike.

Since that's the case I have narrowed it down to Pivot Mach 4 SL with XT/XTR. My understanding is that there is a long as wait something like 8 to 9 months pretty much on all high end bikes, would that be correct? I guess it's like getting a suppressor, just order it and forget about it until the call comes.

Edit: Message Pivot and they said 6 months from when they receive the order.

Last edited:
I am using Hope V4 brakes. I like them much better than XTs. I had a few times when the XTs just randomly went to the bar with no braking. I threw them away after seeing my life flash before my eyes. The Hopes take a minute to set up and to dial in your feel but after that they are a good system. The Hopes have a wide usable braking range(aka modulation) unlike the light switch feel of the XTs. They are easy to bleed and all parts are replaceable plus Hope has great customer service.

I use the Tubolight inserts. I have not seen those before. Hopefully the new version of the Tubolight will be here soon, I ordered some a few weeks ago.

As for the brake conversion I have had the CODE RSC on my bikes for a while. I got a new set of the Hayes Dominion A4 so far I've been really happy with them. I haven't gotten to torture them in the mountains yet..... So that will be the final test. I do use the 203mm rotors on both ends.

I have not yet ventured into the world of tire inserts, but am curious as the weights are coming into acceptable ranges. I just ride too far to not be able to easily throw a tube in real fast. I run enough pressure and I guess I am slow enough (maybe cautious is a better word, at least it makes me feel better) that I don’t rim strike enough to justify the added weight and the added ass ache of getting a tube in and packing the insert out. But the inserts are becoming more and more popular in the endurance racing game, so who knows...

I have not yet ventured into the world of tire inserts, but am curious as the weights are coming into acceptable ranges. I just ride too far to not be able to easily throw a tube in real fast. I run enough pressure and I guess I am slow enough (maybe cautious is a better word, at least it makes me feel better) that I don’t rim strike enough to justify the added weight and the added ass ache of getting a tube in and packing the insert out. But the inserts are becoming more and more popular in the endurance racing game, so who knows...
That's why I use the Tubolight. There 60 grams ish. I used cushcore and only liked them on the downhill. I thought they sucked to pedal, felt draggy as hell. I think the inserts have saved me on wheels multiple times. Especially with the carbon wheels.

Reactions: jbell

I am using Hope V4 brakes. I like them much better than XTs. I had a few times when the XTs just randomly went to the bar with no braking. I threw them away after seeing my life flash before my eyes. The Hopes take a minute to set up and to dial in your feel but after that they are a good system. The Hopes have a wide usable braking range(aka modulation) unlike the light switch feel of the XTs. They are easy to bleed and all parts are replaceable plus Hope has great customer service.
Sounds like the Hope V4 get a thumbs up, I'll try them if I ever have to replace my Code RSC's. Last year I almost bought a set of Hopes to replace my original XT's on my Switchblade, but ended up with a set of the latest version 4 pison calipers. Funny thing on the XT's is the finned pads rattle ever so slightly on the trail....kind of drives you nuts if you're OCD at all, but does not affect performance.

AC889822-4534-44A7-B0B4-205C5D24576E.jpeg

7FD32D66-D790-4EC7-88F0-47B887C15614.jpeg

BC805F25-93BB-4057-90CB-4328917371B8.jpeg

8359586E-9D82-4C3E-A3E9-C6E365EE9BF1.jpeg

E9D69A56-91B1-44C3-A30E-1C2A96077E97.jpeg

Haven’t ridden much since I had kids— hope to get back on the horse again soon.

I've tried both. Love the Hopes. Had their older 4-pots on a DH bike. Pretty similar to sram codes, but look better and the lever feels better to me. A little heavy but super durable.

Also have current magura trail carbons on my son's bike. They are a pain to bleed, and the levers seem a little flimsy, but brake feel and power is excellent, they look great and are super light. Similar feel to Codes and Hopes, though more lever flex than Hope.

IMG_20200814_163649107.jpg
IMG_20200814_164108726_HDR.jpg

Been out of the MTB scene since moving back east from CO 7 years ago. Recently got back into it. Kinda wish now I'd gone with another FS bike. Oh-well, it's still fun!

Last edited:
Took my Fly ti out to day and the shifter broke. eBay had one that looked good, so $130 and a week and it will be back up and running. I hope this thing doesn’t nickel and dime me as I am waiting for my new bike.

BTW, my daughter is now riding the Phat Cat. Looks like I’ll be borrowing that while I wait for the shifters to show up.

Last edited:
Yep. I just paid $99 for an 11sp XT cassette, and had to dip into my reserves for a fresh chain.
Damn cost the same for a used XTR 8 speed cassette. I can get a new XTR 8 Speed for $299. Of course XT are ones are less than $50 used. I always go with the XTR cassette as it save weight.

Basically a downhill drive train, but you would need a chain guide b/c a old 8 speed derailleur doesn't have a clutch.

Basically a downhill drive train, but you would need a chain guide b/c a old 8 speed derailleur doesn't have a clutch.
I figured I would have to replace the derailleur with an eleven speed one and replace the front derailleur and shifters. Might upgrade the cranks to a carbon fiber Race Face just to waste more money, lol.

Yes, should be able to put a 11 speed cassette on, and put a compatible front chain ring on. I did a Shimano XTR 3x8 from 2002 and made it 1x11.

Yeah parts have sucked. I need some Hayes 203 rotors. Race season for me got killed when my wife had to have surgery.
Hope your wife is doing better

Anyone ever make a 1-11 or 2-11 out of an old 8 speed?

Yeah, I did this to my wife's old bike prior to her upgrade. You'll need the appropriate shifter, derailleur, cassette, chain, and aftermarket chain "narrow-wide" chainring. Add up the cost of those parts before jumping into the project.

Yeah, I did this to my wife's old bike prior to her upgrade. You'll need the appropriate shifter, derailleur, cassette, chain, and aftermarket chain "narrow-wide" chainring. Add up the cost of those parts before jumping into the project.
I just did. It gets expensive going XTR/XT. A little cheaper to go 1-11. Probably not worth it as my options for fork replacements is limited by the bike being old. I guess it will just be better to build a newer HT with a carbon frame like an Pivot SL or Scott frame.

11 speed XT is probably the best bang for the buck out there, it is crazy reliable and not expensive

SRAM just dropped GX AXS, although I’m not down with electronic wireless shifting for what I do. I don’t want to have to worry about changing batteries during a race & I have yet to have an issue with analog shifting for way less $$$.

11sp XT is indeed very good; I run it on all four of my mountain bikes. It would be nice if the chains lasted longer. Oh, wait, that's the fault of my shitty maintenance habits. 🤦‍♂️

I first worked on automotive shift-by-wire systems almost 25 years ago and have a couple of patents related to the technology. But my bicycles all shift via mechanical cables and will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

If your electrical system goes down during a race or in the middle of Timbuk2 you are basically F-ed.
I have fixed or jerry rigged my mechanical drive train numerous times in order to get home. Nothing beats cables :) .

11 speed XT is probably the best bang for the buck out there, it is crazy reliable and not expensive

SRAM just dropped GX AXS, although I’m not down with electronic wireless shifting for what I do. I don’t want to have to worry about changing batteries during a race & I have yet to have an issue with analog shifting for way less $$$.
I am looking at a Scott Scale RC 12 speed in XT. List price is $3k. I’ll wait until after I get my Pivot to see in I really want a HT again. I just love the looks of the HT and FS always look heavy to me.

Not sure how I missed this thread, Ive been working in the bikescene for the better part of a decade before I changed path. I still ride a bit, usually with my son. I picked up this gem last summer, it had been left in a garage for too long. One of very few Ellsworth bikes in Sweden;

1616745112865.png