• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

It's pretty great. I've done it twice, once on a hardtail and once on my Evil with my wife on our honeymoon. Be prepared for a whole day of pedaling uphill at altitude.

It sucks getting old!

Even with a EMTB I don't know if I could handle 36 miles in a day with a bunch of uphill. Maybe if I camped out back in there and rode halfway each day?? I think I'm just fantasizing though.
Nevertheless it'd be stupid of me to try it alone.

Gorgeous country!

This winter I've been lifting weights and walking to stay in halfway decent shape and now that the snow is melted I'll start riding again. See how it goes.....

Last edited:
Reactions: crackerbrown
It sucks getting old!

Even with a EMTB I don't know if I could handle 36 miles in a day with a bunch of uphill. Maybe if I camped out back in there and rode halfway each day?? I think I'm just fantasizing though.
Nevertheless it'd be stupid of me to try it alone.

Gorgeous country!

This winter I've been lifting weights and walking to stay in hallway decent shape and now that the snow is melted I'll start riding again. See how it goes.....

It's not that bad. If you really thought it might be, you could do the first half as that's the best part.

Reactions: steve123
My dudes, the wife and I are headed to Bentonville in April. She's a green/blue rider on an ebike, I'll be rocking my enduro bike. We'll have a few days, and looking at hitting Slaughter Pen, Coler, and we're staying in the back 40, so those trails too.

What are the specific trails that are 'must hits' ? Or pizza places that are must eats...

Reactions: missed and jbell
My dudes, the wife and I are headed to Bentonville in April. She's a green/blue rider on an ebike, I'll be rocking my enduro bike. We'll have a few days, and looking at hitting Slaughter Pen, Coler, and we're staying in the back 40, so those trails too.

What are the specific trails that are 'must hits' ? Or pizza places that are must eats...
Please report back after you trip, I am gathering as much intel about NWA as I can before I move. If you are going to be there multiple days you may want to drive over to Eureka Springs and hit some of those trails. From what I can see there are two good networks there.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
I'm going to hit Bentonville for a weekend in a couple weeks. Eureka Springs is a ton of fun along with Lake leatherwood if you are looking for a bit more rowdy. You pretty much can't go wrong in Slaughter Pen and Coler, they are mostly all man made groomed trails which some people get bored on. I haven't gotten bored there, the nice thing is with a bunch of short trails you can ride a trail loop back around hit it again if you want or go find something else you want to ride. There is trails and features there for almost all skill levels.

I joined the MTB ranks. Haven't gotten it dirty yet, but that will happen very soon.
Habit-Carbon-LT1.jpg

Habit? I have always been a fan (from a distance, unfortunately I never have owned one) of Cannondale, I love how they do their own thing.

Reactions: Cowpokey
While Im not a hardcore mountain biker, Ive been mountain biking my entire life and have been running a Trek Xcaliber hardtail since 2015. Ran a Cannondale before that for many years.. After a week I gutted and rebuilt the Trek back in 2015.. converted to a 1x.. Raceface crank ring... Race face chain, Shimano XTR 11 speed cassette, XTR derailer.. Race Face grips and Continental Trail King 2.2's.. Ive been more than happy with this setup, its been great with zero complaints..

I picked up a Quietkat Ibex VPO full suspension yesterday. 4.8" fat tire eMTB.. Mostly for getting in and out of difficult areas to fly fish that used to take me 5-8hr hiking in. I took it for a quick spin yesterday and man this thing is fucking awesome,

I picked up a Quietkat Ibex VPO yesterday. 4.8" fat tire eMTB.. Mostly for getting in and out of difficult areas to fly fish that used to take me 5-8hr hiking in. I took it for a quick spin yesterday and man this thing is fucking awesome,

I went with my buddy to pick up his RadWagon cargo bike. I'd never ride an eMTB for fun, but if you're hauling things and it has the battery range you need it's a no brainer in my mind. I think you could even drag a game cart behind it...

I went with my buddy to pick up his RadWagon cargo bike. I'd never ride an eMTB for fun, but if you're hauling things and it has the battery range you need it's a no brainer in my mind. I think you could even drag a game cart behind it...

Ive never been on a eMTB or fat tire before. But I wanted a dual purpose eMTB and rough back mountain terrain transport bike. I actually went to pick up a Rambo The Rebel yesterday they were holding for me at a smoking deal which is a hard tail, 21AH battery, 1500watt mid drive 4.8" fat tire. 300lb hauling capacity, 15-64 mile range... Rambo website and everywhere I checked wanted $5299 for the black.. $3999 for the camo. My local dealer only had a black and offered it to my for $3600 which nobody else could come close to.

Well when I got to my dealer to pick it up yesterday, they had some unbelievable deals on Jeep (QuietKat) full suspension 14.4Ah and QuietKat full suspension 21Ah 1500watt VPO bikes. I road them all around their track and I fell in love with the full suspension QuietKat Ibex VPO. Pretty much everything was the same as the the Rambo Rebel but this had full suspension and VPO which allows you to lock speed down for state game lands, BLM, etc to Class 1, 2 and 3 or Unlimited and ECO, Trail or Boost modes to get the full mileage when you need it and have no desire to go fast.. Also, this $5500 bike they gave to me for $4199 so i figured why not for a few hundred more dollars get full suspension and VPO! Also, the 21Ah spare battery is $1000.00. They gave me a promo deal on a 2nd spare 21Ah battery for it for $274.00. So why not for that price.

Im blown away by this bike. Got home and ripped it around through all kinds of terrain for 30min locally and it impressed the hell out of me..

I dont plan to hook any carts to it, but yes you can hook a cart to this thing. I bought a front and rear rack for it that will be put on before my yearly Maine fishing trips to hold soft cooler, wader and wading boots bags but the racks will be off it the rest of the year when not using for hauling in and out.

Really loving the fat tires too. They are beasts and go in anything!

This bike is costing me all kinds of additional money though. Fat tire and weight, it wont go on my existing Tuhl hitch rack. So I got the Kuat Piston Pro X 2-Bike Rack they talked me into which is a pretty darn amazing hitch rack.

Last edited:

Congrats!

Your Kat reminds me of my 5 year old Bakcou Storm except updated and modernized more. My suspension is 120/100 so not much and my fork and shock are pretty low end but hey fully suspended nonetheless.

I too got a great deal because I bought the Storm for dealer price at the Shot Show, "of all places". I had been thinking about getting a EMTB but saving almost a couple grand made me jump on it. I bought a trailer later on and use it these days to haul fire wood. It's cool to get back far enough in the bush to find the choice wood nobody else had gotten to before. And a backup bike as well.
DSC00213.JPG

Was so sold on EMTB's that a couple years later I bought a downhill version E-bike that has been a great ride. This bike was quite a revelation riding because it has 200mm of travel front and back. That aspect has saved me from some bad wrecks, wrecks that would certainly have happened if I was using the Storm. Ask me how I know, ha, rhetorical.
20240309_141344.jpg

It's a recent and long story but I got reacquainted with a high school friend I hadn't seen in 43 years and he got me in touch with my other high school friends?! So, ha, I just bought another EMTB last week so we can all ride together. I should be riding it next week and am looking forward to a fun summer with my old buds. Yeah its kind of an excuse to justify getting a EMTB I really really wanted anyway.
I'll put a photo up of it next week.
ETA - Here it is.
2024 Orbea Wild M11
20240327_092453.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats!

Your Kat reminds me of my 5 year old Bakcou Storm except updated and modernized more. My suspension is 120/100 so not much and my fork and shock are pretty low end but hey fully suspended nonetheless.

I too got a great deal because I bought the Storm for dealer price at the Shot Show, "of all places". I had been thinking about getting a EMTB but saving almost a couple grand made me jump on it. I bought a trailer later on and use it these days to haul fire wood. It's cool to get back far enough in the bush to find the choice wood nobody else had gotten to before. And a backup bike as well.
View attachment 8379608

Was so sold on EMTB's that a couple years later I bought a downhill version E-bike that has been a great ride. This bike was quite a revelation riding because it has 200mm of travel front and back. That aspect has saved me from some bad wrecks, wrecks that would certainly have happened if I was using the Storm. Ask me how I know, ha, rhetorical.
View attachment 8379610

It's a recent and long story but I got reacquainted with a high school friend I hadn't seen in 43 years and he got me in touch with my other high school friends?! So, ha, I just bought another EMTB last week so we can all ride together. I should be riding it next week and am looking forward to a fun summer with my old buds. Yeah its kind of an excuse to justify getting a EMTB I really really wanted anyway.
I'll put a photo up of it next week.

Nice! That's awesome. I've been mtb with my friends my entire life. Been 30+ years been doing it since we were kids. My one buddy has a Trek Powerfly and my other buddy has a specialized mtb..

While Im not a hardcore mountain biker, Ive been mountain biking my entire life and have been running a Trek Xcaliber hardtail since 2015. Ran a Cannondale before that for many years.. After a week I gutted and rebuilt the Trek back in 2015.. converted to a 1x.. Raceface crank ring... Race face chain, Shimano XTR 11 speed cassette, XTR derailer.. Race Face grips and Continental Trail King 2.2's.. Ive been more than happy with this setup, its been great with zero complaints..

I picked up a Quietkat Ibex VPO full suspension yesterday. 4.8" fat tire eMTB.. Mostly for getting in and out of difficult areas to fly fish that used to take me 5-8hr hiking in. I took it for a quick spin yesterday and man this thing is fucking awesome,

You're another one who would be absolutely shocked if you rode a new (post 2016 or so) bike. If you're still riding on 2.2" tires, almost anything new, at any price point, will be a revelation to you.

You're another one who would be absolutely shocked if you rode a new (post 2016 or so) bike. If you're still riding on 2.2" tires, almost anything new, at any price point, will be a revelation to you.

A few years ago I rented an old Kona DH bike at a ski resort during the summer to take the lift up to the top. This resort had newer ones but they were another $50 bucks so I decided to rent the cheaper one.

When I started riding down I was "shocked" how the bike's handling was odd and kind of off feeling so I wasn't confident on the bike at all so basically had to slow down and be careful where it was slightly wet from the rain the day before. My Storm seemed to handle better as far as confidence goes but of course lacked the suspension travel. I'm assuming this is related to geometry?? of older vs newer because my 22 year old Trek VRX200 feels wonky somewhat like the DH bike I rented. It's a feeling that's hard to describe.

My Husqvarna Extreme Cross DH is the opposite of those bikes so it's very confidence inspiring to me. Granted I'm more of a low end intermediate rider but it's as stable as can be feeling wise when I've gone to the sketchy end of my ability level. I wrecked once on a drop off shortly after I got this bike but I think that was because I had the fork pressure adjusted too low for a cushy ride. After I got everything adjusted correctly I haven't wrecked since then even when I thought for sure I would at times.

Edit - Oh and I just remembered that my son rented a Specialized Stump Jumper 3 years ago and it was also super nice in every way compared to my old Trek TRX200, and my Storm, more so how confidence inspiring it was. Way better than my Trek and still at least a few steps superior than my Storm.

Last edited:

In what way? What's the major revelation?? 0.1 of tire width??

I haven’t been riding for that long but I would imagine if you have a bike that’s from 2016 a modern bike will feel very different due to the geometry changes, tire size 29er/mullet, bar/stem changes, etc.

I can feel a different just changing the head angle 1° on my bike. Going from something like a 66° to a 63° is going to be noticeable.

In what way? What's the major revelation?? 0.1 of tire width??

Back when I bought my Storm the Fat 26"x4.5" front tire was severely lacking in grip at the edge so it'd slide out on pretty easy turns if it was the slightest bit slippery, like in soft cinders, silty soil, or on damp roots. Back then I searched for a more aggressive front tire but the industry hadn't caught up for Fat tires yet.
However during a recent search there are what looks like some good alternatives nowadays.

Others here are hugely more knowledgeable about tires than I am but my guess is that tires have also advanced along like the newer components and bikes have.

Also guessing it's likely your new EMTB handles decently as far as Geo goes because my 2019 Storm isn't odd feeling like the older bikes I mentioned earlier.

All I can really say is if you really want to know "that revelation feeling" go rent a newer and expensive bike then hop on various older bikes. In other words my old Trek is like a Marlin M60 22rf compared to a higher end Kidd 10/22, if you catch my meaning.

IMHO- it’s less tyres, as people still run minnions and magic marys, although tubeless has come a long way. Some of it is being able to run 2.6 with downhill casing on a emtb and not suffer the weight and rolling penalties… But you can put new tyres on an old bike so I think the real revelations on the frame side are geo and the air springs/dampers.

My old DH bike had a 66* head angle. A new eMTB/enduro bike is around 64*, with a very steep seat tube, better fork offsets, and longer chainstays. Between that, and how much better the air springs are (and to a lesser extent, suspension design and the damping circuits) the new bikes are much more predictable, stable, and capable compared to the same category bike of old.

Having said that, I’m still on my 2014 rallon and I won’t change until someone steals it or it gets rear ended while on the car’s bike rack. And then I’m going to something with a gearbox and a dorado😂

Ordered my new Orbea Wild EMTB a bit over two weeks ago from IBB cyclery in UT thus avoiding tax, received it partially assembled in a box about 3 days later, then dropped it off at the LBS on Thursday of last week for full assembly plus install some aftermarket parts.

I was supposed to pick the bike up the next day and when I called to see what time I should go there the lady that answered told me they'd text me when it was done - didn't happen. I figured because it was Friday that they were busy so I called again at noon on Saturday. This time I insisted on talking to the shop manager. He told me they couldn't start the E system, uggg?! After calling the LBS Monday with zero progress I figured I better intervene so I called IBB where I bought the Wild and asked them to call the LBS to help advise. The problem was figured out with no confession of what that was. They didn't charge me anymore than the original quote which I was a little worried about. I think it was one of those super simple things that they had overlooked.

A couple other problems happened.
I had ordered a EXT fork and a EXT coil shock which arrived before I took the bike to the LBS.
In order to install the fork the rear hydraulic brake cable had to be cut at the bar end to get it out of and back through the proprietary SIC cable rounting system and whatever else they had to do, grrr! :rolleyes:

Also found out after install that EXT sent me the wrong shock which won't fit my bike correctly so the shop had to put the Fox that came with the bike back on. :(

During this time frame we had four storm systems blow through with each dropping 2-4" of snow. So I wouldn't have been riding the new bike anyway. It melted quickly though. Man it was 24 degrees low this morning and 62 degrees high today at my place. Crazy huh!🤪

Did the initial test run this afternoon. Pretty nice, at least that's my initial impression.

I guessed this beforehand but I need to get a bar with more rise and more back sweep - short arms and torso.
Probably get some 155mm cranks too.
20240327_092415.jpg
20240327_092549.jpg

That is a good looking bike with a solid build. Should be a blast! Shorter cranks are the way to go for sure. I dropped from 175 to 170 and could not be happier. 155’s are short but that looks like maybe a small frame bike so they should be about right for you. I have my wife who is 5’5” on 160’s both MTB and gravel and she likes them much more than 170 or 175s. Enjoy that new ride!

That is a good looking bike with a solid build. Should be a blast! Shorter cranks are the way to go for sure. I dropped from 175 to 170 and could not be happier. 155’s are short but that looks like maybe a small frame bike so they should be about right for you. I have my wife who is 5’5” on 160’s both MTB and gravel and she likes them much more than 170 or 175s. Enjoy that new ride!
Thanks! I'm done buying for maybe the rest of my life. Never say never though.

Yeah its a medium. I'm right in the size zone where a small might be too small because suggested max is 5'7 and I'm 5'7". I'm used to bigger bikes, having a medium and a large, and was afraid small would feel twitchy to me. No LBS carried Orbea so I wasn't able to test a small, too late now so I guess I'll never know the difference.

I wouldn't know about shorter cranks on a MTB(no experience) but from the videos I've watched people seem enthused about them on EMTB. I think I'd appreciate having the pedal spacing shorter by not feeling like my feet are stretched out so far fore and aft, also hoping for less pedal strikes.

Thanks! I'm done buying for maybe the rest of my life. Never say never though.

Yeah its a medium. I'm right in the size zone where a small might be too small because suggested max is 5'7 and I'm 5'7". I'm used to bigger bikes, having a medium and a large, and was afraid small would feel twitchy to me. No LBS carried Orbea so I wasn't able to test a small, too late now so I guess I'll never know the difference.

I wouldn't know about shorter cranks on a MTB(no experience) but from the videos I've watched people seem enthused about them on EMTB. I think I'd appreciate having the pedal spacing shorter by not feeling like my feet are stretched out so far fore and aft, also hoping for less pedal strikes.
I have not jumped into the world of electric yet, but that’s a nice build and Orbea has really nice bikes to offer.

I have been really thinking about a Fezzarri trail or Enduro ebike. Especially since my fitness sucks right now, hopefully work and house projects will ease up and let me get back on the bike soon

I’ve said it here before but I’ll say it again. The eMTB is 4x more fun than the acoustic bike.

I was worried about the weight and the stigma and the cost. Worth every penny and I hit more stuff on my ebike than I did before.

And what’s surprising is my heart rate was basically the same across both. The acoustic works my legs more but cardio is the same. I just go twice as far on the ebike in the same amount of time.

I’ve said it here before but I’ll say it again. The eMTB is 4x more fun than the acoustic bike.

I was worried about the weight and the stigma and the cost. Worth every penny and I hit more stuff on my ebike than I did before.

And what’s surprising is my heart rate was basically the same across both. The acoustic works my legs more but cardio is the same. I just go twice as far on the ebike in the same amount of time.

Almost like being young again. EMTB has truly put the joy back in riding bikes again for me, seriously!

Like I mentioned before I would have had to stop MTB due to lower energy levels stemming from health problems(5 years ago was at a unhealthy low point and had to do something). Also who knows EMTB might have saved my life, or at least extended my life, because I'm in better shape right now than 85%(just a SWAG??) of people my age.

New air shaft in the front fork, along with dropping to 15wt fork oil, and new brake pads.

Just in time for perfect weather at Tsali. And only. my second ride in the past year. Suspension and brakes were great, engine needs work. LOL

It's easy to get wrapped up in the day to day, and take things for granted. But I'm very blessed to live here, and have the life that I do. There is no place like home.

Good Friday indeed!

Attachments

• IMG_6234 copy.JPG
    IMG_6234 copy.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6248 copy.JPG
    IMG_6248 copy.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6246 copy.JPG
    IMG_6246 copy.JPG
    911.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6257 copy.PNG
    IMG_6257 copy.PNG
    447.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: thejeep and missed
Yesterday parking lot full of fat old dudes on e bikes. Wtf

Some of them will wipe out and end up with Med bills causing their wives to make them sell their EMTB. Then the youngies can cash in on those deals and ride 2-3 times more than on MTB. :unsure:

Knowing what I do now I would have bought a EMTB when I was young if there was such a thing at the time.

Okay I'm a geez but it was cool two days ago going uphill at 19 mph on a steep grade with my Wild on the home stretch. I was already getting tired by then so the E was much appreciated.
Earlier I caught some air on smaller jumps and went faster on some flow trails.

Back from Bentonville, a couple thoughts from the trip-

We stayed in a singletrack basecamps Airbnb in bella vista just off the back 40 trails. It was a great place, catered to bikes with a full stand/tool kit/bike lounge area, full kitchen with utensils and everything, and it was nice to not worry about having to sneak muddy bikes into a boughie hotel. There’s a ton of them in the area, and if we visit again, I’d stay in Bentonville with an easy ride to the slaughterpen trails or walk to a restaurant vice 25m drive.

There’s a lot of sharp, flat shale(?) rocks everywhere, locals were calling them “arrowheads.” We were both on enduro or DD casing meaty tires, and I could see XC tires and thin casings taking a beating. Lots of locals rocking knee pads, probably a good idea and I would have brought a set had I known.

We were definitely early season, we had one day in the 60s and everything else 38-52. We still ran into quite a few people; I can imagine it’s an absolute madhouse in the summer.

Three or four days of riding is probably good for a first visit. We had three days and lost half of one waiting for things to dry out after a midnight thunderstorm. We split the days am/pm with a lunchbreak and did two separate riding areas to try to hit more. Aside from the back 40 loop, they’re all short trails and easy to loop into however much distance you feel comfortable with.

There are enough branching options that you don’t need to seek out specific trails to ride, it’s about as good to wonder around lost. I wish that we could have done all of all American from South to north, it’s supposed to be a trip. Most of slaughterpen is blue level and not overly technical. Lot’s of flow options, and everything is rollable/low consequence, even for the bigger jumps. Great for new or mid level riders and to get lots of reps in and build confidence.

If you ride past the bush push and don’t ride it clean to the rhino, you’re a little girlie man who probably rides an ebike.:p

Lastly, living in florida, I forgot my first gen reverb stealth gets molasses slow and unusable when it’s 35*F. 😅

Yeah, I’d definitely recommend knee pads here with all the loose rock and hard pack.

A full face helmet is a safe bet too. I’ve seen more than a few instances of messed up faces from wearing a half shell or broken full faces that saved someone from a really bad day.

You’re right about the low consequence. Many of the trails are built to cater for lots of riding levels. It’s nice because I can ride the same trail as my wife and she can roll the jumps while I send them.

If you aren’t sure where to go, just head to Coler or Slaughterpen and start hitting trails. Plenty of greens and blues with some blacks mixed in. If you want more technical, less groomed go over to Handcut Hollow. XC riding just stick with the back 40/Bella Vista area.

Something for everyone!

A full face helmet is a safe bet too. I’ve seen more than a few instances of messed up faces from wearing a half shell or broken full faces that saved someone from a really bad day.
I've crashed this full face helmet at 17mph and it held together in 1 piece. Definitely don't like the dentist plus reconstructive surgery is expensive! Replaced the crashed helmet with one of the same brand and model. For me, 1 good head hit means the helmet should be retired.

Last edited:
I've crashed this full face helmet at 17mph and it held together in 1 piece. Definitely don't like the dentist plus reconstructive surgery is expensive! Replaced the crashed helmet with one of the same brand and model. For me, 1 good head hit means the helmet should be retired.

That’s the one my wife uses. She recently broke it on a bad crash on a jump. If she had been in a half shell it would have been bad.

It was about her third run down that line and she was feeling a little too froggy. It always gets you when you least expect it.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Oh, c’mon. eBiking is not a crime. Not the same way wearing licra is anyway 😂

I have an amish bike too. I ride it when I don’t want to have as much fun.
LOLOLOL!!!

haters gonna hate. If I had the funds at this time I'd have 2 eMTBs and an Amish one too, so I can ride with the folks still in the stone age.....

That’s the one my wife uses. She recently broke it on a bad crash on a jump. If she had been in a half shell it would have been bad.
Hope she's doing ok... The crash that retired my helmet took me off the bicycle for almost two weeks. The shoulder was much worse than my head!

Reactions: Rerun7