• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I thought about resurrecting the old thread, but it was getting pretty big. So lets get a new one going...

Post up pics of your bikes, rides, or what not. Also any mountain biking (or any cycling) related conversation is always welcome!

Last edited:
    Here are a few of my more recent bikes:

My current race bike:

Ibis Tranny 29, set up single speed (32X20 for most of my endurance races here in New England)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/Mobile%20Uploads\/image_zpsydoi8klo.jpeg"}[/IMG2]

This spring I replaced the Thomson post with a Niner RDO and man is it flexy! Not in a bad way, but in a very good way actually. It should be a bit more comfortable during the long races and training rides. I do notice a little bobbing when I am on the road seated and spinning hard, which is very common to be geared out while chasing other riders with "normal" geared bikes.

Last fall I broke the non-drive side crank arm, the Race Face Next SL was less than 6 months old and it split right down the middle length wise. I am sure glad they have a life time warranty. I do really like the cranks as they are super light but noticeably stiffer than any other I have used. In conjunction with the Tranny's supper stiff bottom bracket the power transfer is EXCELLENT!

As far as the Tranny 29, I am enjoying it very much. I am coming off a custom Ti frame single speed that I road for several years an loved it, but the super stiff, quick handling, short wheelbase of the Tranny suits my riding style and terrain perfectly.

Last edited:
    Here is my last single speed that I raced for so long. It is a Cysco welded by Richie Moore just outside of Chattanooga TN. I really loved this bike, I had it set up both ridged and with a fork depending on the task at hand. Set up ridged it was slightly over 19 pounds, which is pretty good for a large frame 29er.

• Love
    Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Here are a few other bike I have had lately:

It isn't exactly a mountain bike but it does see some trail duty, very fun! [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/IMG_1562_zpsahlxsndk.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I just built this Lynskey up out of the parts from my Niner RKT (I still haven't ridden it), I just am not a full suspension kind of guy I guess..

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/IMG_1624_zpsxmwzln4r.jpg"}[/IMG2]

What was to be my geared endurance race / training bike for the 2017 season, but I just cant make myself like riding a full suspension bike. Niner RKT RDO, it weighs 23.8 pounds with pedals and totally rips!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/IMG_1366_zpsvrs0sjwp.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/Mobile%20Uploads\/image_zps5icwggm6.jpeg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    Here are a few pics I have taken recently while riding:

Casco Bay Maine at sunrise:

Casco Bay Maine at sunset:

Presumpscot River in Portland Maine at sunset:

Riding with my kids last fall in Carrabassett Valley (Sugar Loaf ski resort, & Bigelow range) Maine:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/Mobile%20Uploads\/IMG_1032_zpswcxmj3z5.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/Mobile%20Uploads\/IMG_1034_zps8l0smsu0.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/Mobile%20Uploads\/IMG_1035_zpsgpzhvcws.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/Mobile%20Uploads\/IMG_1036_zps1w7yrdwg.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/Mobile%20Uploads\/IMG_1037_zps337dqzbh.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i791.photobucket.com\/albums\/yy194\/jesserbell\/Mobile%20Uploads\/IMG_1040_zpst5n5myak.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I love the Seven, they make some sweet frames! Also that Ti Cycles is pretty sweet, is it a fixie? Ti Cycles makes a very odd looking mountain frame with their funky seat stay arrangement. Nice bikes Duc thanks for sharing them!

photo57409.jpg
    photo57410.jpg
    photo57411.jpg
    My rides aren't in such beautiful locations, but it's still a good time.
    I also have this thing for Titanium

Attachments

• photo57412.jpg
      photo57412.jpg
      189.2 KB · Views: 155
    Last edited:
    I got out with the girls today. They both are on single speeds now, its fun watching them learn the process.

I ride a Yeti SB95 black.
    Fox 34mm 140 fork
    Fox Transition 150 dropper post
    magura mt-4 brakes
    SLX 1x10 setup with One up 42 tooth granny gear
    Raceface 30 tooth narrow wide up front
    Pacenti DL31 rims laced 36 4x with Sapim Strong Spokes to Hope pro evo 2 hubs.
    Sounds like angry bees are chasing me.

I also have a 1984 Specialized stumpjumper sport that I use to tow my girls around the greenways when we go on family rides.

Trek Fuel EX8. Turns out to be a great downhill bike, or maybe the speed is my fat ass working with gravity. Either way it's one of my stronger points in races.

o7hawBX.jpg

Reactions: HornDog87
    I've actually been thinking real hard lately on getting rid of one of my new rifle setups and scope to get a nice bike.
    Been looking at the Trek Remedy, YT, Evil, Intence, and Giant bikes. These hobbies are getting expensive!!

Here in San Luis Obispo, there are tons and tons of trails!!

If you have a few "extra" or "duplicate" rifles I would. I haven't shot very much at al this year b/c I have been so busy racing and training on my mountain bike. I am actually heading to Virginia this weekend to race the Shenandoah 100 it will be a ball buster!

If you have a few "extra" or "duplicate" rifles I would. I haven't shot very much at al this year b/c I have been so busy racing and training on my mountain bike. I am actually heading to Virginia this weekend to race the Shenandoah 100 it will be a ball buster!

So I basically did just that and got a Trek Remedy 9.8 and getting rid of one of my extra builds. I am so stoked for every other day lunch rides.

Reactions: hertz654
    Oh, I raced the Shenandoah 100 this past weekend. It is a great race, so much fun!

I bought this Reign new in 2011, absolutely loved it and rode the shit out of it. But it was old technology and i finally blew out the fork beyound repair.
    20190716_145519.jpg

So my amazing wife worked it out so I could upgrade this year for my 30th.

20190907_115412.jpg

2019 Giant Reign SX1.
    -1x12
    -dropper post
    -coil rear shock.
    A little learning curve, but I think ill manage just fine.

I still have one of my old GT I drive team bikes from early 2000 when they were still built in CA. I've upgraded the drivetrain to a 1x11 and newer Fox suspension. Maybe if I'm riding enough next year I'll be looking for a new bike. Keeping the growing kids in decent bikes have made it hard for me to get a new one!

Reactions: mzvarner
    I still have one of my old GT I drive team bikes from early 2000 when they were still built in CA. I've upgraded the drivetrain to a 1x11 and newer Fox suspension. Maybe if I'm riding enough next year I'll be looking for a new bike. Keeping the growing kids in decent bikes have made it hard for me to get a new one!

We just had our first, shes happy and healthy at 3 months. It was bad timing for catastrophic failure, but my wife knows how important 2 wheels have been to me. It was an amazing surprise to say the least. And should last another 8-10 years. Pretty amazing how priorities change when kids are thrown in the mix.

Reactions: missed
    We just had our first, shes happy and healthy at 3 months. It was bad timing for catastrophic failure, but my wife knows how important 2 wheels have been to me. It was an amazing surprise to say the least. And should last another 8-10 years. Pretty amazing how priorities change when kids are thrown in the mix.
    Both mine get out on the trails regularly with me, we are building trails around our place here along with a couple pump track sections. It's fun having some little riding buddies too.

I've had a great time getting my boys into biking this season. They've really grown as riders, and will be downright scary-fast in another year or two.

My own season hit a rough patch, but fortunately I healed quickly for an old dude.
    MVIMG_20190522_175357.jpg
    MVIMG_20190726_165023.jpg
    MVIMG_20190806_195159.jpg
    66689120_681622468946319_2364301710295302144_o.jpg
    66644007_681622492279650_7908503314268946432_o.jpg
    67182607_681622522279647_7568833218619637760_o.jpg
    66657522_681622555612977_8581763416719360000_o.jpg

Damn, what was the lead up to that yard sale??

Pretty awesome riding with your kids isn’t it? I have watched my girls transform into pretty solid mountain bikers the last few years, there isn’t anything better...

This thread popped back up at the perfect time.
    I have been looking for a good starter bike that's well enough equipped that I won't need to start upgrading shit right off the bat and can enjoy for awhile.
    I hate running and only do so if being chased by something but would rather stand my ground and fight than run so jogging is not something I've cared for since the army.
    What would be a good recommendation from the experienced riders here for a starter bike ?
    Not looking for a full suspension but decent front suspension hard tail for mostly trail riding and extra exercise.

One I have been looking at is the REI CO OP 1.3

Last edited:
    What is your budget? Where are you gonna be riding mostly?

Stay away from the REI stuff...

What is your budget? Where are you gonna be riding mostly?

Stay away from the REI stuff...

I was wanting to keep it under $1500 and figured in that price range I should be able to get something reasonably well equipped as far as brakes, gear set with clutch derailer and remote lock out on the front forks.
    I'm sure I would eventually want to upgrade the fork and add a dropper post but mainly want it for additional exercise.
    I live in northwest Colorado just 29 miles from Utah so pretty much any direction I go there are an abundance of good trails for riding all around the house.
    Wasn't sure about the REI stuff since I don't know crap about MTB it seemed the 1.3 had a pretty decent combination of components for the build.

I was wanting to keep it under $1500 and figured in that price range I should be able to get something reasonably well equipped as far as brakes, gear set with clutch derailer and remote lock out on the front forks.
    I'm sure I would eventually want to upgrade the fork and add a dropper post but mainly want it for additional exercise.
    I live in northwest Colorado just 29 miles from Utah so pretty much any direction I go there are an abundance of good trails for riding all around the house.
    Wasn't sure about the REI stuff since I don't know crap about MTB it seemed the 1.3 had a pretty decent combination of components for the build.

I’d look at the direct to consumer brands if I was trying to ball on a budget. IMO, Commencal has a nice hard tail just slightly over your budget and is rather versatile. They’re also in Colorado and have rentals/ demos I believe.

Specialized has a revamped hardtail in the Fuse and it is similar to the Commencal meta ht.

Can also look around for close out models as most places are clearing out 2018 inventory for 2019 models or see if there’s demos on sale.

Reactions: XLR308
    Just got my trainer setup, been too busy shooting and no time for exercise. This setup is really a work out compare to a cheap statonary bike. Several apps to choose from, just did a mountain bike app which was 30 minutes of pure workout.

6DD0E523-F8D6-42E5-970D-2EE82DC1A335.jpeg

Damn, what was the lead up to that yard sale??

The short version of the story is that I ran out of talent at the wrong time.

I was doing a downhill race on a particularly short and violent course. There is a slow singletrack section uphill of the crash site. In practice, I was having difficulty finding speed - I didn't have any saddle time on that bike before the race, and it's a course that I ride once per year. Hitting the steep jump when exiting the woods wasn't any problem since I wasn't carrying any speed into it.

But in my first timed run, I blasted that slow section like there were free tacos at the finish line. I hit the jump way too fast, overshot the landing (or undershot the next transition, depending upon your perspective) and hucked to flat with my weight in all the wrong places.

Fortunately, I was wearing good gear, and got away with some cracked and separated ribs, and a nasty deep thigh bruise. I was able to finish the run, took the shuttle up for my 2nd run, finished 3rd-to-last, and then had a slightly miserable time a few hours later doing a 20-mile XC race. And this was the first day of vacation, so I got reminded of my stupidity for many rides to come over the next two weeks.

I'm sure there are several potential morals to this story, but I don't like any of them so I will have to learn my lesson some other time :p

Pretty awesome riding with your kids isn’t it? I have watched my girls transform into pretty solid mountain bikers the last few years, there isn’t anything better...

Man, it's been great - my oldest (who just turned 9) is riding with confidence, and can even keep up with some of my slower adult friends. He's going to be kicking my ass in a few years. The youngest (who just turned 5) moved from a tag-along bike to his own 20" ride this summer, and is already busting out 3-4 miles at a time (albeit with frequent breaks for water, food, and checking out whatever cool stuff is growing along the trail). He's a maniac who is going to be a monster once his body can keep up with whatever his brain is thinking.

So we're now getting out as a family, building good fitness habits, increasing mental toughness - I really couldn't be happier as a father.

See above on why not to use clip-ins, hahaha. Gotta pre-load them front shocks man. Poor SC I hope is OK?

Yeah, it was total rider error. I need to spend some more time catching air at the BMX track and skate park, and less time trying (and failing) to be an aerobic XC nerd.

I'm reasonably confident that the crash would have gone down the same way with flat pedals, but I'm also not willing to repeat the experiment in the manner of science.

The bike came out undamaged. There are a couple of light scratches on the rear triangle that might have come from the crash, but probably happened when loading or unloading the bike rack. It's a beast of a build - lots of Shimano Saint, DT Swiss, and Renthal stuff. I'll break way before the bike does.

If you fellas are looking for a bike check out below. Snatched a almost new Yeti/XTR at a very good price. Of course it is up to you to do your DD.

Yep - I've snagged a lot of quality lightly-used gear off the PB listings. eBay remains a good source for the educated shopper. In this area, Craigslist is mostly a waste of time.

Ya, Clips wouldn't have made a difference as he said it was a rider error. Clips or flats his weight distribution was off. I ride a-lot of XC and I'm not afraid of jumping its just takes some practice and just sending it, it kinda helps too if you're following someone that knows what they're doing gives you some confidence. I'll be posting a pic of my ride soon

For y'all with kids.... I'm having hell getting my 7y/o to get his butt off the seat, which is causing him all kinds of hell climbing and encountering rough stuff. I'm fixing to expand and fix the pump track at the house and hopefully have some trails built to help. But getting him to stand up has been a chore.

For y'all with kids.... I'm having hell getting my 7y/o to get his butt off the seat, which is causing him all kinds of hell climbing and encountering rough stuff. I'm fixing to expand and fix the pump track at the house and hopefully have some trails built to help. But getting him to stand up has been a chore.

I honestly think its just a kid thing, when i ride with my friend kids it the same thing. But in South Florida theirs not many mountain to climb that you need to get off your seat. Its just the annoying roots when you're on a hard tail that send you flying. Too me i think its just kids rather be playing games like play-station etc then actually bonding riding bike and actually learning. I say just give it some time instead of forcing it on them , but that's just my experience with kids on bikes.

Last edited:
    IMG_0301.jpg

Santa Cruz CC 2019
    Santa Cruz Reserve 27 With I9 Hubs
    XT M8000 Drivetrain
    XTR 9020 Brakes
    Absolute Black Oval 36 Chain ring
    Fox Factory 32 SC (kashima)
    Fox Float DPS (kashima)
    FSA SLK Seatpost
    FSA SLK -12 Stem
    Prologo seat (Not sure what model)
    Bontrager Carbon Bars 740MM
    Weights 23lb with 2.3 tires & pedals

Reactions: E. Bryant
    Here’s my ride, Trek Remedy 9.8. Just swapped the front tire to something with less volume and the bars to some carbon Renthals I had with the ESI silicone grips because i hate gloves. Running flats on occasion and some Crank Brothers clips.

Coming from BMX the Remedy is a dream.
    19CD88E9-4058-42EB-B0CC-26F3F20DB864.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: lancegastrong

Take his seat and post off the bike during short easy rides and increase the mileage as he gets used to it.

Reactions: missed

For my son, some of this was a matter of building the required leg strength, and some of it was just plain ol' youthful stubbornness. I kept on providing some gentle reminders, and then one day, I notice that he's floating along with bent knees.

For frame protection check out helicopter tape and for chain slap I wrap the rear bottom chainstay with mastic tape.

Helicopter tape makes for easy cleaning and helps keep the paint from chipping from rocks.

Yep. I also use helicopter tape wherever cables want to rub (usually on the headtube), and where the frame bag on my gravel bike rubs. Also, watch out if you use water bottles in conventional cages - the base of the bottle often rubs on the frame, and eventually causes some damage. A spot of tape where this contact occurs prevents that problem.

Since you are from MI you MUST go up to the UP to ride those trails north of Houghton!

Yep, Copper Harbor is legit. Marquette also has a great scene that has developed around an excellent trail system. Things are so much better than when I was going to school at Michigan Tech in the 90s; I just wish that I had the stamina and stupidity of a 20-year-old combined with the general awesomeness of modern equipment.

Last year I picked up a 2013 Cannondale F29 Carbon 2 from a serious XC guy. I dropped some extra coin for a spare set of Industry Nine wheels he used once or twice. Super light weight bike that got me back to the local trails. I've been logging some decent rides, with a mixed use of roads and gravel trails.

My son and I ride as much as possible.

Attachments

• 20190527_083502.jpg
      20190527_083502.jpg
      651.3 KB · Views: 152
    • 36743.jpeg
      36743.jpeg
      742.3 KB · Views: 153
    • 20190601_155234.jpg
      20190601_155234.jpg
      402.6 KB · Views: 151
    • 20190310_085634.jpg
      20190310_085634.jpg
      766.9 KB · Views: 149
    Reactions: mzvarner and jbell
    Iceman time! It was a muddy, messy, slow day. The course wasn't great due to some overnight rain and snow, but at least I didn't have to complain about any loose sand today.

Now I'm going to spend the off-season trying to get my drivetrain and brakes to work again.

Screenshot_20191102-140120.png

Reactions: jbell
    We have been riding more and more, and building some trails and pump track at the house. I'm shooting to order a Guerilla Gravity Shredd Dogg after the first of the year.

Riding a demo Pivot on the Whole Enchilada Moab

Attachments

• 6BB81AB0-2174-4C5E-AAA3-72B20FCB72C7.jpeg
      6BB81AB0-2174-4C5E-AAA3-72B20FCB72C7.jpeg
      1,023.6 KB · Views: 149
    • 88C8BFF0-8E6E-42DE-810E-02443D118C8D.jpeg
      88C8BFF0-8E6E-42DE-810E-02443D118C8D.jpeg
      418.3 KB · Views: 145
    Reactions: missed and jbell
    Came home and ordered a fully blinged out Rocky Mountain - love my Niner RDO but for this is so much more fun downhill

Attachments

• 30B417E4-6546-45E7-9F94-FD0131328864.jpeg
      30B417E4-6546-45E7-9F94-FD0131328864.jpeg
      617.3 KB · Views: 134
    Here are some I have owned over the years.
    Don’t ride as much as I use to. Arizona has a little better weather to ride then the pwn.
    Current bike
    DE4B3C2F-4479-42CF-A193-007AABEBAB07.jpeg

Kona I built when I moved back to Washington
    BA3F505E-3CA5-4C29-A5AE-92E5C1A3CD37.jpeg

928D4FFA-B3E3-4718-88D4-3531CCEA419C.jpeg

Cove g spot I built down in Arizona when I was in college.