• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any mountain bikers out there

Re: any mountain bikers out there

I gave clipless a try after converting from road bike over to mtb, and it just wasn't for me I guess. So now I'm on flats and love them. The few times my foot has come off the pedal though, I severely wished I had clipless... Maybe that's something else I'll have to tryout again in the near future.

When on the road or on the longer singletracks I love the clipless. On terrain where I feel like I'm gonna bail at any second I unhook and then fight to get back on the flats. It's a distraction I don't need. I can unhook pretty smoothly, it's more of a trust thing. Is this sumbitch gonna let me go when I need it most?
When I caught the end of the pedal, my foot was not in the same location it would've been in had I been snapped in. They definatly allow for more control and help to lift the bike when your bunny hop isn't quite up to snuff. I haven't given up on them, and taking a break from them didn't feel the greatest either.

Well I rode some trials in the day so am no stranger to standing still, going slow, keeping my feet planted, and not losing my senses. It is like anything else - practice it and you might get better at it.

I always love it when flatlanders try to say they have more challenging terrain than we have in the rockies. We got everything you have plus about 80% more stuff you'll never see. I rode and raced in the midwest for over a decade. Been on MTBs since 1989. Still have the first set of Shimano SPD 737s I bought the year they came out.

There's no way I was implying we have more challanging terrain. I've visited Colorado enough to know better. I was just saying compared to the trail in the video.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terror!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gave clipless a try after converting from road bike over to mtb, and it just wasn't for me I guess. So now I'm on flats and love them. The few times my foot has come off the pedal though, I severely wished I had clipless... Maybe that's something else I'll have to tryout again in the near future. </div></div>

Definitely give clipless a try again. Once you've gotten used to them, you'll never go back. Perhaps you should try different types. Everyone has their personal favorites. I like the Crank Brother pedals myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely give clipless a try again. Once you've gotten used to them, you'll never go back. Perhaps you should try different types. Everyone has their personal favorites. I like the Crank Brother pedals myself.</div></div>
My dad uses Egg Beaters from Crank Brothers and I like them FAR more than any of the others we have tried so I'll probably just steal his pedals and shoes tomorrow to see if I like it or not. I'm riding his bike tomorrow anyways so at least we won't have to swap pedals.

Here are some of my old school bikes:

IMG_0304-1.jpg

Built in 1998

IMG_0305-1.jpg

Built in 1997

I haven't been MTN biking in a while. However this thread has me motivated to get out there today.

Shooter, that is what it is all about go ride and have fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love riding downhill mountain bikes. M current bike is an Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki with modifications, and it comes in a 43 lbs. If you want to try fitness, try pedaling something that heavy up a hill. Its not enjoyable at all. </div></div>

You mean like this one. Mine is 45 lbs. Yeah it's heavy but it's a breeze to ride down hill. It has a Manitou Dorado MDR Carbon fork with 8.5" of travel and Manitou Mitel coil in the rear.

DSC01760.jpg

DSC01759.jpg

DSC01758.jpg

DSC01762.jpg

DSC01764.jpg

Iron Horse Warrior 4.5 (iron horse went under a few years ago), but i love the bike! cant figure out how to upload a picture, but its a 6" FS All Mountain, have crank brothers candy's (clipless) and specialized tires. It came with WTB werewolfs or something like that, those were DONE in a few weeks. I love riding, but with two kids, the chance is becoming more and more seldom
smirk.gif
usually i sneak out and road ride for 12ish miles a couple nights a week (after the family has gone to sleep)

The reason I live in CO is the bad ass MTB trails. I get out on my Remedy a few times a week. I have to say that the Remedy is a bad ass bike, by far the best suspension I've been on.

I rode my dad's egg beaters today and I have to say I do miss being clipped in like back in my roadie days. The trail went by like nothing and took very minimal effort to climb the hills. Clipping out was buttery smooth and only when I wanted it to happen, but getting clipped back in was a little more of a pain however that's to be expected considering it's my first time back on them in over a year. All in all if I get a little more used to them I really can't see the disadvantage, and it's only a matter of miles before they get comfortable again.

Terror, you can practice getting in and out of them using a doorway in your house/workshop as a 'leaning post' if you will. I will never ride flats again! unless its downhill specific...

You need clipless to clear large obstacles. Just practice, practice, practice and once you get the hang of it, you will never go back.

I use Speedplays. I have found they give the most foot rotation.

29ddh5.jpg

Remember... learn to climb what other people can't and descend what other people wont...

Just a quick update, I have my Turner (its on the first page and is listed here in the for sale fourm) up for sale. Its in very good condition and is an awsome "trail" or "all mountain" bike. I am selling to fund a more race oriented bike to do some 12 hour races. Tell your friends. Thanks Jesse

I ride my MTB quite a bit more than my road/track bikes ---- My main MTB is the blue one in the pic - its a 06 Santa Cruz Superlight with '06 XTR group and Fox suspension.
It is due for a new cassette/chain and a couple new front sprockets , so i have been contemplating upgrading it to 10 speed (or just tossing it in the attic and building a new Blur carbon would be good as well)

I love bikes like the Nomad, but in Oklahoma, a 4" travel XC bike is all i ever need. A recent trip to CO though prompted me to upgrade the diameter of my front brake rotor ---

Sadly, bikes to me are a little like my firearms collection -- i am fairly good at accumulating cool stuff --- but getting them out of the garage/gun safe to use as much as i would like is always the problem

The years go by quite regularly though, i have been riding and having fun since 1990 -- still have a hardtail Yeti FRO in mint condition from that era and a couple of MArin rigid bikes (those are thrashed though) in storage -- next time i am there, i will post some pics of those up for the thread to show what the state of the art was 15-20 years ago -- heck , i cant believe my Santa Cruz is already 6 years old either

bikes008.jpg

Desert Fox, I'm right there with you having a Yakuza Aniki. I put a Marzocchi Super T Pro and Avid Juicy 7 brakes on mine and have bashed it around pretty good. My college has free ride trails that we built and host events at regularly. We even hosted a Red Bull event called Night Shift where we lit up the trail at night and rode. That day was my 21st birthday and I got the 21 jersey.

Here is a Night Shift video. I'm the one with green/orange lights wrapped around my bike but its hard to see in the short little parts I'm in. I came in 10th on that race.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/170044/

All built by hand. This is my local college trail. I don't like the chest cam view, but it shows you the course.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fK5-UXrvM9U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fK5-UXrvM9U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
100_0463.jpg

Here is a tuck-no-hander I did a while back on our big step up jump.

24869_1252133674856_1574940034_3060.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys have a track in OK? </div></div>

Superdrome in Frisco, TX (about 2.5 hours away) -- not too bad , close enough that i should be able to make it a few times a month if i was motivated enough (sadly, i haven't been that motivated in a while)
--- CO Springs is my fave track, but thats a 9 hour poke - worth it for a big event though

OK, got bit hard by the SS bug. First one I got in October, a proof of concept if you will. Salsa El Marianchi fully rigid. Sold it 2 weeks ago, now put together my "dream bike on a budget" SS full rigid.

I really, really like the clean looks of a basic steel frame, but wanted light weight and the "modern" features. The Raven, a custom build frameset, meets this criteria. Wouldn't you know it a guy the same size as me decided to sell his. Both the bike and the frame builder are based in Golden CO. I met the builder FTF, got the full scoop, then (speaking of scoops) scooped up this slightly used one. When the guy rolled it out of the garage, it had THE EXACT FORK and EXACT WHEELSET I had settled on... so, we stripped it down to the frame, fork, and wheels, I took it away, and in less than 24 hours it was complete.

20 lbs sans pedals was my target weight when I started this whole misadventure. Guess what this one weighs - you got it, 20 lbs ON THE NOSE. No carbon other than the Niner fork. Running tubeless with the high end Maxxis Icon tires on the Stan's Crest rims contributed greatly to this as well.

It is geared 32-21, "the" SS gearing for out here. If you have not ridden a SS, let me tell you in the 29er they work way better than they have a right to. Riding one gives you both a primal and a boyhood connection that his hard to explain, particularly to members of the opposite sex.

Anyway, here she is. Been done since 4:30 Friday afternoon. 3 rides in 3 days. Still monkeying with tire pressure as it is CRITICAL with a rigid bike, plus need some Carbon Grip to stop the stem from loosening up on the carbon fork steerer tube, but she is a blast!

raven1.jpg

More info on the frameset here:

http://www.ravencycles.blogspot.com/

And the fork here:

http://www.ninerbikes.com/carbonfork

I'm really liking the look of that bike. 29 inch wheels still look funny to me, but they work really well on the trails.

_9H_ nice SS. Damn it dosent weight shit! I would love to put one together on a mid 90's Lightspeed. I think it would be a fun bike to keep me from being too lazy with all these gears.

The first time I got my butt kicked by a SS on my geared FS 26'er my bud was on, a 90s era ti framed 26er. It has good light weight Mavic wheels on it, other than that just a cobbled together SS. Chromo rigid fork.

Now, that bike weighs - 20 pounds also. A carbon fork would take a pound off of it.

We spoke just this AM about putting together a twin to my bike for him but with custom frame dimensions from the same maker.

The sooner you start playing with a SS of any sort the better IMO. It will help narrow down what works for you.

552697_10150620309741485_501931484_9632630_1751328777_n.jpg

Nothing special but i just got her completely tuned up for this summer......i ride everywhere i go, weather permitting. shes on her 4 season and still going. riding a bike is an excellent core and leg workout without putting strain on joints. plus, the town i live in is extremely bike friendly allowing you to always use a trail to commute wherever u need to go inside city limits.

Oh crap, this thread is going to end up costing me some more money. Coming from bmx and DJ I hate not being able to easily ditch my bike when I need to. Being able to move my feet around on the pedals so I don't get restless on a long xc ride is nice too since I have had the beginnings of a stress fracture on the bridge of my foot from surfing forever, and pedaling on the balls of my feet can open it up.

I just picked up a new Specialized Carve. I love the paint scheme, the geometry of the 29er frame. Its got pretty good stock parts and I plan on riding it a bit before up grading it. Was a BMX rider back 25 years ago, and now that I am 40, I plan on using it to stay in shape because the knees cant take running.

Bill

Rode 8 miles yesterday to the bridge that crosses the river to work just to see how long it would take me. 4 miles each way, 23 minutes there, and took it easier on the way back at 38 minutes.

Got brave and today rode all the way to work, 7.5 miles, but wont be riding back because going back across the bridge is all up hill slow incline. Was a bit rough, and almost wanted to turn around and go back and take the car, but didnt. Glad I didnt.

Bill

Getting back into mountain biking after about a 15 year break. When I was stationed at Ft Lewis in the mid 90's I was really into both mountain and road biking. Lost interested when I PCS'd to Georgia, it just seemed to flat and I got bored. Now I'm in a hillier part of GA and getting back into it. The kids make sure I go plenty, but now I'm order, slower and fatter so it's a much bigger struggle than it used to be.

Nice to see guys getting into mountain biking, its a sport a lot like shooting full of great people more than willing to help you out with what ever you may need.

Dont do a lot of trail riding, But I am assigned to the special operations division, Bike patrol unit at my PD. So I ride A LOT. :)) We have mostly Trek's and a couple Fuji's

Been riding at Smithville lake trail system. Getting more confidence and speed, having a blast nd getting a great workout. Lord knows i need it for this seasons shooting matches...lol.

Bill

Recently scored a used 2010 Kona Caldera HT off CL. Mint condition with mid-grade factory componenets. Was off the trails for several yrs, and having a blast raging in the woods of NOVA!

Presently training with a few buds for a 12hr MTB Race (Crank Monkey) at Quantico this June. It's a 3-person relay at 10miles per loop. Looking forward to meeting a few other local MTBrs.

MTBing is a perfect complement to my other outdoor passions (e.g. trail running, hiking, rock climbing, standup paddling) and general physical preparedness activities (e.g. lifting iron, DBMA, CF).

Na zdrowie!

So I'm a little out of practice and set up for a whip over the last table and decided not to at the last second which put me sideways in the air. Cost me quite a bit of skin on my left elbow and knee and a decent amount of blood but I made a good slide and landed on my feet. But thats all in a good days work. Enjoy!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/als__G0f5-E&list=UUW42aH7nBb4O1vp7sn_yJcw&index=1&feature=plcp"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/als__G0f5-E&list=UUW42aH7nBb4O1vp7sn_yJcw&index=1&feature=plcp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

And here is a video of the bottom section of the trail from a different view. My chain was broken at the time so I couldn't hit the gaps.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8r_JNy2_TnE&feature=youtu.be"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8r_JNy2_TnE&feature=youtu.be" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

And here is a good video of a little kid during our last race. Its the whole course from the top start point.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JCIu3qh3_F4&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JCIu3qh3_F4&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Another Turner aficionado here... won a '04 Burner frame a few years ago, transferred all the XT/XTR off a Specialized FSR XC, Marzocchi Marathon 120mm ETA fork, Hayes carbons. Yes that's a pink King headset, one of those cancer-research ltd editions that I snagged on ebay for $40. The wife loves that it probably sends the wrong signals on the trail LOL- yeah, the few women riders actually like me MORE! LOL sorry wifey :)
04turner.jpg
Just won a new-in-box '08 5-Spot frame and and transferring parts again. Won a great Marzocchi 44 RC3 TI fork, a 150mm model that weighs the same as a 120mm. Only downside was I got forced to buy a newer set of Crossmax ST's for the 15mm axle. But again Ebay to the rescue! We have some excellent dedicated trails in the Rochester NY area- it ain't the Rockies or Utah, but we have quite a great community of hard-core riders the majority of which will stop and offer help to anyone with a broken bike or injury whatever. Anybody here in central NYS drop a line anytime, always in for a ride after work or on weekends. The bike is always in the trunk ready to go.

2ndSecuresTheRest,
Nice Turner. You will love the Spot mine is a 08 also (seen in the first of this thread) it is on point. It climbs almost as well as it burns down hill! I just threw on a set of WTB Mutano 2.4 and am looking forward to seeing how they will do.

I have been riding the east coast from Georgia to Maine since 91 and there is a lot of good riding to be had. Have fun and enjoy the 5 Spot.

hey thanks Mr. Bell! Been using 2.1 IRC Mythos since they're 500 something grams, they roll easy but I need to get a good 2.2-2.4 for the rear. Suggestions? The usual roots and rocks here but mixed with hard packed dirt and one trail system that's sandy-loose (!) unusual for East Coast. Tons of large thorns around here, but I still resist the goo-filled tires LOL. I carry a couple spare tubes, so what.

Great minds think alike-- also an Audi fan, got hooked on a '91 90Q 20v, now on my 3rd ur-S4. Left the bimmer world 15 years ago, haven't looked back :)

I had a e46 330CI sport package before the Audi, dont really miss it. The BMW was better on fuel by a bit & a bit faster but then again the A4 is a Quattro so thats cool in Maine. I never put winter tires on it, just run the Pirelli P4 and they spank in the snow. I actually had it out in a muddy field (going shooting) last month and it did as good as a Toyota FJ trail team edition with BFG ATs, kinda cool for a car.

As far as the bike tires the Panaracer's are good to go I just seem to wear them out too fast (side lugs rip off) but they are hard to beat when new. I have always liked a faster rolling tire than a super hooking but sluggish tire. The Kenda Nevegals are good but a bit slow. Thats why I put the WTB Mutanos on the front and rear. My friends that have ridden them swear by them. They say they hook up very good and roll super fast too. They are pretty light for a 26" 2.4 @ 602g for the race (which I have). I was told they work well tubeless with Stans (which I am a big fan of), however I have just gone back to tubes. I have been traning for a Tough Mudder that I am racing in next Sunday @ Mount Snow Vermont so I have not had a chance to get out on the Mutanos yet. I was ridding a pair of WTB ExiWolf in 2.1 and they were good in everything but really wet. They were very wide for a 2.1, almost as wide as the Mutano in 2.4. Ill let you know how the Mutanos do.
Have a good one.

Anyone have thoughts on a giant roam 0??

Looking for something for both road and trail mix...........tend to get a bit otta control off roads, so looking for a headset and gearing that can take serious abuse if I get to that point......like y'all in CO....etc

Any recs for a bike....build....frame. Parts... Anything to help educate and not waste money.

Prefer. Hard tail.".....$1k. Or less wud be nice, But want the one and done for this thing

I got out on the Mutanos last night. We road 11 miles and they did very good. I was running them stiff @ 45 psi and will prob drop to 40 psi next. It was muddy in spots with mostly loose dirt no hard pack yet. They got great traction for me all around. I was not 100% confident with them yet so I didnt push the corners very hard. I was riding with a group and we had some slow climbers that I got stuck behind and was able to dig in and shoot around them on steep loose hills even from a track stand. They also seemed to clean good I had no problem with mud packing. If you are in need for a set of new AM/ heavy XC tires give them a shot.

Great. thanks for the info.

Was told that Giant frames are some of the better ones to get.....Anyone have further thoughts?

Thanks all - anyone else????

forgot to add..............so what's a heavy duty, long term MTB to go after?

I know a few who ride the new Giants and they like them. I have been on higher end American frames for the last several years, American frames are getting harder and harder to find with EVERYONE shipping their mfg to Taiwan. The Taiwan built frames are very good, some of the best so dont think you have to pay a super preimum for hand built American bikes. I would recomend talking to most of your local bike shops and see if they have group rides and just show up and start talking to people about what they ride. From my experience the mountian biking community is a lot like the shooting community most people are very helpful and willing to help.

Buying a bike is like buying a rifle or picking a caliber. First you need to figure how you want to ride and buy a bike for that. If you want a do it all bike look at what people are calling "trail bikes" or "all mountain". They will be 4" to 6" travel bikes weighing in at 27# to 32#. Most of the major builders have bikes that would serve you very well for many years. Here are a few I would reccomend from most expensive to least: Ellsworth, Turner, Yeti, Rocky Mountain, Trek, Specilized, Kona, I just picked these off the top of my head there are several other good ones.

And if you are new to the sport, buy a bike from a bike shop. Yes you can shop around and get better deals, but with a Mt Bike you will save more money with all the service a shop will do for you because you bought the bike there. After you figure out how to work on a bike by yourself then you can go for the deals.