• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any musicians here?

Karma Enforcer
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
Anybody? Guitar (7 string) player here. Been at it 17 years now. Mostly hard rock. Play all my own material. Played drums a bit back when I was a teenager. Never stuck with it though. Went to guitar! So doesnt anybody else here play anything? If so, what kind of music do you play and how long have you been at it?

Also, a boom stick is not an instrument. I know how you guys are.

Multi instrumentalist here - pro musician for 30 of my 64 years. Started as a saxophonist and picked up various other woodwinds including flutes, recorders and clarinet. Picked up guitar in the early '80's and added bass guitar and vocals.

Played bars and clubs and did a road stint for 2 years before settling into a weekend band playing everything from clubs and bars to Christmas parties and county fairs. Thru the years I have played it all from working up original material and working in the studio to playing cover tunes in Rock, R&B, Blues, and even a country band or two.

Prefer Funk, Blues and R&B - old schools styles not this hyper rap stuff that passes for R&B today.

VooDoo

Bassist for 26 years on/off. Picked it up again serious about a year ago. Played in a thrash-metal band in late 90's (Slayer, Pantera covers and original stuff).

I like playing a lot of different styles now, but still love playing Justin Chancellor's (Tool) stuff! He does a lot of experimentation with sound and effects that I'm studying.

Not sure I'll do the band thing again, too busy and old, but I got a mini drum set for my kids... hopefully we'll have a rhythm section soon!

Reactions: 308220
Speaking of 7 strings, my wife just bought me a new one for my Bday. I play hard and fast shit. Everything from Fear Factory, to Emperor to crowbar.
I also have a Taylor 12 string acoustic/elec. Ive had tons of guitars. I miss my 8 string Schecter. That thing dominated.

20190804_143115.jpg

Classically trained on the piano but like a fool quit in my teens. Too bad as I could sight read just about anything. Played drums for a high school rock band. Just dick around on the blues harp now spinning my blues collection.

I do rebuild vintage audio gear though- turntables, tuners, amps, etc. I get more enjoyment out of building and tweaking the music machines themselves these days then playing it on an instrument. Tube amps have been my main interest most recently.

Speaking of 7 strings, my wife just bought me a new one for my Bday. I play hard and fast shit. Everything from Fear Factory, to Emperor to crowbar.
I also have a Taylor 12 string acoustic/elec. Ive had tons of guitars. I miss my 8 string Schecter. That thing dominated.

View attachment 7165185

Nice rig. Ive debated about biting the 8 string bug for about 3 years now. But damn. I just cant do it. Im so comfortable on a 7 string and I can tune my 7 down to F#. Id never tune lower than that personally. Just sounds like mud to me.

This is my band rig. The mesa with the metal grill shit itself. So I replaced it with the non metal grill head. How does that H&K head sound?
FE6E66D0-5D7F-4AFF-B884-D2B092D0BD2F.jpeg
81E15EBF-2461-42C4-BAAA-9B1E58B0AE9E.jpeg

I’ve devoted myself to finally taking lessons once and for all, if I can ever get the time with work. Sucks because I have a Mesa sitting at the house next to my Silverburst that is collecting dust.

Nice rig. Ive debated about biting the 8 string bug for about 3 years now. But damn. I just cant do it. Im so comfortable on a 7 string and I can tune my 7 down to F#. Id never tune lower than that personally. Just sounds like mud to me.

This is my band rig. The mesa with the metal grill shit itself. So I replaced it with the non metal grill head. How does that H&K head sound?View attachment 7165210View attachment 7165211

If you like the 7s, PRS just released a 7 string SE model based on the specs of the Periphery guitarist. It looks amazing.

I’ve devoted myself to finally taking lessons once and for all, if I can ever get the time with work. Sucks because I have a Mesa sitting at the house next to my Silverburst that is collecting dust.

Honestly, I wouldnt take the lessons. I know it sounds odd, but trust me. Lessons put you in a "box" creativity wise, that is hard to get out of. Ive been playing 17 years, and admittedly im not the best, but my creativity is fairly good. Not taking lessons helped me find my natural playing style and feel.

If you already have a grasp on the basic fundamentals on guitar. ..Standard chords, power chords, the notes on the fretboard etc etc. thats really all you need to get moving. Just noodle around until you run into something you think sounds good. And build off it.

You can learn different techniques such as finger picking, pinch harmonics, sweep picking...whatever your heart desires from youtube. A lot of teachers want to mold their students into themselves and make them play like the teacher. Many greats were self taught and it shows. Their sound and style is different from everybody else.

Anyways, I hope you get plugged into that Mesa soon??

This is my band rig. The mesa with the metal grill shit itself. So I replaced it with the non metal grill head. How does that H&K head sound?View attachment 7165210View attachment 7165211
The H&K sounds incredible. I played on a HK Triamp years ago and it was hands down the thickest, fullest sound ive ever heard. The Coreblade I have comes in 2nd. Playing this setup in a room doesnt do it justice. The louder you turn it the better it gets.

Dont pay for lessons. Go on Youtube and search for any playing style, or even just to learn the covers of your favorite songs.

The H&K sounds incredible. I played on a HK Triamp years ago and it was hands down the thickest, fullest sound ive ever heard. The Coreblade I have comes in 2nd. Playing this setup in a room doesnt do it justice. The louder you turn it the better it gets.

This may sound HARD to believe, but a Crate Blue VooDoo 120-H was one of the heaviest sounding amps Ive ever owned. This is coming from a Mesa dual rec owner lol. I dont know what it was with that particular head, but damn was it awesome. I sold it when I needed some cash. Bought another a few years later and it wasnt anywhere close to the one I had. I now know I had a rare gem. Or maybe it had a mod I didnt know about? Who knows. Its long gone.

Ive read good things about the HK heads. Just never had an opportunity to play through one or even hear one in person. I see the Line6 jimmy rig sitting in the back lol its ok. I have one too.

Reactions: madppcs
Thanks for the advice on lessons; the one thing that I have done on and off is play Rocksmith on my Xbox. It has mini lessons built in teaching you the basics and whatnot, and also has a VARIETY of songs to learn; it adds more to them as you master parts of the song with the ability to slow it down if you hit a riff that’s kicking your ass.

If you’re into the heavy, don’t sleep on the PRS amps. I had the MT15 Tremonti and a PRS Archon here recently thru a Mesa 2x12, and they had more low end thump then a Rectifier to my ears.

Found a pic of my current rig. Only thing I’m wanting now is an overdrive or distortion pedal for the heavier stuff

Attachments

• 848ADD36-FDA4-4A37-A988-147D99C01879.jpeg
    848ADD36-FDA4-4A37-A988-147D99C01879.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: madppcs and 308220
i fucks with it a little. far from a musician...i started way too late in life. fiddle fucked around with it for the last 8 years or so. i have a ltd ec1000 and a blackstar ht5r amp. it’s all i need, all i will ever need. i do get the bug to try other guitars, though. a friend of my boy brought one of her new guitars over, and that thing sounded SCHWEET through my amp....even better than my LTD. at some point i will probably jump to a guitar with passive pickups....just because. even though my skill level is pretty fucking low.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I played for fourteen years, 7 string death metal and metalcore. Had a few bands, did a few EP's and local guest work, toured in support of The Absence and been local support for a few other bands that have come through DC area or are from here. Haven't even looked at a guitar in a few years. Grumble. I was teaching private lessons for a year before I quit, mostly theory.

I loved playing guitar, being a performance artist is what ruined it for me. I hate the music industry on all levels and most of the scene, though I've met a ton of really awesome people in the scene. The shit of it is really just that everyone else is fake as fuck or high on their own bullshit.

Once you comprehend all the personal trouble it is to do shows because half the band are unaccountable manchildren, half the people coming to you for networking are thieves, band members get married or have kids so time gets short every gig or jam session, the new bassist won't stop bringing hooters girls who flirt with everyone to practice, you're the one breaking up an argument between duder and homie's wifey while wishing you had gone to college instead so you could afford the software and recording equipment it takes to replace literally fucking everyone— but you realize you started doing this because you liked jamming with just your friends— once you go through all that for years it stops being fun. My imagination took a graceless lurch while leaving fourteen years of 6 hours a day practice to atrophy like a relationship with a girl who moved away and took my heart with it. All I have for the experience that has lasted is a crooked index finger on my right hand and fifty people up my ass about a new band every time I show my face in those old social circles.

That said, I wish I wanted to play guitar again. Never felt better than when I was jamming some death metal ass heavy shit with my friends in a smoky 95F garage. Once things go beyond that shit gets fucking complicated and eventually really old.

I miss my 8 string Schecter. That thing dominated.

View attachment 7165185

I have an entry level Schecter Omen-6, and it is sweet. I’m hobby level; good enough to enjoy playing. No classes or formal instruction. Blut Aus Nord is the biggest influence on my playing. Particularly the cleaner delay-drenched passages.

Drums are my passion. I have a Roland Tdk 15, and it’s also great for my skill and such. Programmable, can plug in headphones for silent play. Aaron Harris of the defunct band Isis, Dale Crover of the Melvins; love their style.

Music is an extraordinary language of expression.

Reactions: madppcs and 308220
Found a pic of my current rig. Only thing I’m wanting now is an overdrive or distortion pedal for the heavier stuff

What kind of Mesa is that? Also if youre in the market for a pedal, try a Metal Muff. Pretty good.

I played for fourteen years, 7 string death metal and metalcore. Had a few bands, did a few EP's and local guest work, toured in support of The Absence and been local support for a few other bands that have come through DC area or are from here. Haven't even looked at a guitar in a few years. Grumble. I was teaching private lessons for a year before I quit, mostly theory.

I loved playing guitar, being a performance artist is what ruined it for me. I hate the music industry on all levels and most of the scene, though I've met a ton of really awesome people in the scene. The shit of it is really just that everyone else is fake as fuck or high on their own bullshit.

Once you comprehend all the personal trouble it is to do shows because half the band are unaccountable manchildren, half the people coming to you for networking are thieves, band members get married or have kids so time gets short every gig or jam session, the new bassist won't stop bringing hooters girls who flirt with everyone to practice, you're the one breaking up an argument between duder and homie's wifey while wishing you had gone to college instead so you could afford the software and recording equipment it takes to replace literally fucking everyone— but you realize you started doing this because you liked jamming with just your friends— once you go through all that for years it stops being fun. My imagination took a graceless lurch while leaving fourteen years of 6 hours a day practice to atrophy like a relationship with a girl who moved away and took my heart with it. All I have for the experience that has lasted is a crooked index finger on my right hand and fifty people up my ass about a new band every time I show my face in those old social circles.

That said, I wish I wanted to play guitar again. Never felt better than when I was jamming some death metal ass heavy shit with my friends in a smoky 95F garage. Once things go beyond that shit gets fucking complicated and eventually really old.

Pretty much all this. In my experience, its really, really important to have bandmates/jam buddies that you share common interests with. That way you can still be friends when youre not playing. One of my old drummer friends was exactly like one guy you described. Always had a new girl over during jam practice so he could show off for her. Literally every fucking time. He made band practice a "concert". And of course she would bring friends. So yeah, try to piece together riffs and structure songs with these fucking air heads in the room. Just got so old we quit practicing and that particular band went to the wayside. Hes now in a cover band. Strictly cover band. Never "made it".

Luckily the guys I jam with now are married and their wives dont have a problem with them playing. One is my brother and the other is a buddy ive known for a few years. We're all into guns, hunting, fishing, football and making heavy ass music. We hope to start doing some local shows this coming spring/summer. We're not looking take it REALLY serious. Just do some local stuff and see what happens. If it takes off, it takes off. If not, oh well. Still having fun.

Side note. For players that dont feel their skill is "up to par" to start a band or whatever. Who cares? If every guitarist had to be Eddie Van Halen in order to be in a band, there would be very few bands. Music is about enjoying what you play. Not an instrumental contest. I call those players, "athletic guitarists". Because most arent musicians. Strictly guitar players. Pick up your guitar, find a buddy or 2 and start jamming. There are plenty of "average" or below average guitar players in bands. Myself being one of them. Id rate myself a solid C. Im not a shredder/solo player. Was never my thing. Im just "good" at heavy ass rhythm based riffs and good chorus runs. I do however have a good grasp of what sounds good and what doesnt. But that just comes with years of noodling around. And ive noodled. Ive noodled a lot. So yeah, just play and have fun. If at any point guitar playing becomes stale or not fun, try something on the other end of the fret board. Whether it be high or low.

Thanks for the advice on lessons; the one thing that I have done on and off is play Rocksmith on my Xbox. It has mini lessons built in teaching you the basics and whatnot, and also has a VARIETY of songs to learn; it adds more to them as you master parts of the song with the ability to slow it down if you hit a riff that’s kicking your ass.

If you’re into the heavy, don’t sleep on the PRS amps. I had the MT15 Tremonti and a PRS Archon here recently thru a Mesa 2x12, and they had more low end thump then a Rectifier to my ears.

Yeah, the lunchbox amps arent bad. I also have a 25W Mini Rectifier. Its solid for what it is. But when I want that massive low end, I plug into the Dual Rectifier. A shredder wont hear a major difference between the 2 amps (mine) in my opinion. What sets them apart (night and day) is when you start palm muting. Literally no comparison. The Mini is my backup. Like I said though, its still a solid little amp.

i fucks with it a little. far from a musician...i started way too late in life. fiddle fucked around with it for the last 8 years or so. i have a ltd ec1000 and a blackstar ht5r amp. it’s all i need, all i will ever need. i do get the bug to try other guitars, though. a friend of my boy brought one of her new guitars over, and that thing sounded SCHWEET through my amp....even better than my LTD. at some point i will probably jump to a guitar with passive pickups....just because. even though my skill level is pretty fucking low.

When I started playing in 2002, active pickups were all the rage. Active active active. If your guitar had passives, you werent a "serious" player. Now all the rage is passives. My current 7 string has active EMG pickups. And honestly, I cant tell active/passives apart. Ive owned both, active and passives in 7 strings. People spend A LOT of time geeking out on their sound. Too much time really. If they spent that time and effort on making some killer riffs, they could geek out on their sound for a living.

I sometimes pull my penis out and bang it on my wife’s face like a bongo drum.....does that count?

According to her my career is going nowhere...

Reactions: madppcs
Yea that old Line6 was my first half stack. I was SOOO proud of it. (Still am). I was young, working my butt off and finally went to the music store and bought it. It sounds (ok) and was only enough for me to be heard at practice.

My new Schecter in the background has EMG hybrids. I think those blow away all my other passive and active pickups ive ever owned ever.

I have an entry level Schecter Omen-6, and it is sweet. I’m hobby level; good enough to enjoy playing. No classes or formal instruction. Blut Aus Nord is the biggest influence on my playing. Particularly the cleaner delay-drenched passages.

Drums are my passion. I have a Roland Tdk 15, and it’s also great for my skill and such. Programmable, can plug in headphones for silent play. Aaron Harris of the defunct band Isis, Dale Crover of the Melvins; love their style.

Music is an extraordinary language of expression.

Holy shit I havent heard that name in probably 20 years. I need to Youtube them and see what they have now. I forgot all about them!

When I started playing in 2002, active pickups were all the rage. Active active active. If your guitar had passives, you werent a "serious" player. Now all the rage is passives. My current 7 string has active EMG pickups. And honestly, I cant tell active/passives apart. Ive owned both, active and passives in 7 strings. People spend A LOT of time geeking out on their sound. Too much time really. If they spent that time and effort on making some killer riffs, they could geek out on their sound for a living.

correct me if i am wrong...but i dont believe passives have a battery that goes dead? what are you trying to do? kill my excuse for buying another guitar? i’ll remember that....and when you post a “which gun should i get” thread, i’ll coming in and tapdance all over your excuse to buy one.... tell ya that what you got is all you need. lol.

Pedal Steel for 25 years. Us Navy Country Band, studio gigs, and club work when in town.
Got burned out on Austin musicians, dealing with their drinking drugs, egos, and no shows and gave it up for other endeavors.

In all seriousness, i have loved metal from the first time i heard it. An unheard of band had just started to rise in the metal circles, and albums started popping up. A few short years later, “and justice for all” made them mainstream.
I always wanted to play when i was younger, but my family just didnt make it a priority, which is something that pisses me off to this day. I picked up a guitar in my late 30s, my goal was simply to learn how to play a riff or two, and mainly to learn more about how the music i loved so much, is made.

Not only have i done that, but i’ve gained a whole new appreciation for even the “simplest” of songs. Songs i used to hate from the beetles on to everything i loved, i had a new level of appreciation for. It’s been something i am really glad i did. The only regret i have is i didnt have the opportunity to play when i wanted to start. I probably could have been really good at it.

Starting when i was older, learning took a long damn time. Especially when i see how fast my kids pick up something it took me 8 hours to get down. It takes them like 5 minutes. But it is a riot.

I sometimes pull my penis out and bang it on my wife’s face like a bongo drum.....does that count?

According to her my career is going nowhere...

It only counts if you’re say...playing air xylophone with yer nutsack on the downbeat of the bongo-dongo.

correct me if i am wrong...but i dont believe passives have a battery that goes dead? what are you trying to do? kill my excuse for buying another guitar? i’ll remember that....and when you post a “which gun should i get” thread, i’ll coming in and tapdance all over your excuse to buy one.... tell ya that what you got is all you need. lol.

Yeah, passives dont require a battery. Just trying to save you some money?lol

I wouldn’t consider myself a musician anymore. I haven’t played in probably 17-18 years. I thinned out my herd a few years back, but still have most of my stuff. Mostly old Fender guitars and amps.
My ‘59 Strat, Electra MPC (70’s) and me rockin out. I was a bad cat...
7FAA4971-D2F5-4285-9DF1-68800BBDA5E0.jpeg
0E8CF534-F792-4D3C-B53D-D484AF36EF0D.jpeg
CCBE357E-0F09-4369-B1CE-3DAE2D8D00D5.jpeg

20170526_135018cropt.jpg

This was the last guitar I had. Kiesel custom JB-207C Jason Becker seven string w/ flamed Redwood top and Black Limba body, Limba and Koa neck. Dimarzio D'Activator bridge and Illuminator neck.

It was a nice guitar but I wouldn't recommend Kiesel to anyone for the money it costs. This guitar needed fret levelling and fretboard polishing, as well as fret end clean up. Any Jackson USA or Ibanez Prestige had a better neck outta the box, and for half the price. That said, once it was set up it was the best sounding guitar I ever had. It had the thin twang of a normal trem guitar with the big round bottom and middle of an LP.

I bought a practice chanter for the bagpipes. Told myself i was gonna learn to play them.
Day or so later cops showed up at the door demanding to come in and find out who was murdering the neighborhood cats.

So much for the pipes!

Reactions: oneshot86
View attachment 7165712
This was the last guitar I had. Kiesel custom JB-207C Jason Becker seven string w/ flamed Redwood top and Black Limba body, Limba and Koa neck. Dimarzio D'Activator bridge and Illuminator neck.

It was a nice guitar but I wouldn't recommend Kiesel to anyone for the money it costs. This guitar needed fret levelling and fretboard polishing, as well as fret end clean up. Any Jackson USA or Ibanez Prestige had a better neck outta the box, and for half the price. That said, once it was set up it was the best sounding guitar I ever had. It had the thin twang of a normal trem guitar with the big round bottom and middle of an LP.

I also had a Deactivator in an LTD H-207 7 string. Was a really good passive pickup. Probably the best passive, imo. And its half the cost of Bare Knuckles.

Nice guitar you had there. I like that wood. Too many knobs going on for me though. Id get lost. What gauge is that low string? It looks massive in the picture.

I bought a practice chanter for the bagpipes. Told myself i was gonna learn to play them.
Day or so later cops showed up at the door demanding to come in and find out who was murdering the neighborhood cats.

So much for the pipes!

when you come down to get that wood im saving for you, bring the bagpipes, fuck ya, well get everyone pissed off

I also had a Deactivator in an LTD H-207 7 string. Was a really good passive pickup. Probably the best passive, imo. And its half the cost of Bare Knuckles.

Nice guitar you had there. I like that wood. Too many knobs going on for me though. Id get lost. What gauge is that low string? It looks massive in the picture.

It's a .10 set of either Elixir or D'Addario. The knobs are pickup volume and tone, switches are pickup splitting and single phase. All the pots were tested for accuracy and range, the stock ones were under by 15% at worst. The D'activators have shitty sustain and the better pots improved that immensely. Normally I'm pretty minimalist about control wiring for the sake of fidelity, but I had consolidated a few guitars and replaced them with this one. It's no single bridge pickup EMG and it's no Strat but it had a ton of on the fly range.

In all seriousness, i have loved metal from the first time i heard it. An unheard of band had just started to rise in the metal circles, and albums started popping up. A few short years later, “and justice for all” made them mainstream.
I always wanted to play when i was younger, but my family just didnt make it a priority, which is something that pisses me off to this day. I picked up a guitar in my late 30s, my goal was simply to learn how to play a riff or two, and mainly to learn more about how the music i loved so much, is made.

Not only have i done that, but i’ve gained a whole new appreciation for even the “simplest” of songs. Songs i used to hate from the beetles on to everything i loved, i had a new level of appreciation for. It’s been something i am really glad i did. The only regret i have is i didnt have the opportunity to play when i wanted to start. I probably could have been really good at it.

Starting when i was older, learning took a long damn time. Especially when i see how fast my kids pick up something it took me 8 hours to get down. It takes them like 5 minutes. But it is a riot.

Some years before "And Justice For All..." I had been to a few of their concerts. Kill 'em All, Ride The Lightning.... this is long before they 'sold out'.

My Lady has a 12 string electric/accoustic that I've oft thought about picking up and learning how to play it. It would be my first instrument, and I'm over 50 now. Half of me thinks that if I were to learn guitar on the 12 string, then anything under that would be easier if I came across one, one day.

Right? (or, how crazy am I?)

Reactions: myronman3
i have a buddy that has a 12 string...and he plays the hell out of it. He is several states away, and i thought about getting one, albeit ever so briefly. The thought of trying to tune one of them makes me cringe. Besides, i prefer to play electric.

Some years before "And Justice For All..." I had been to a few of their concerts. Kill 'em All, Ride The Lightning.... this is long before they 'sold out'.

My Lady has a 12 string electric/accoustic that I've oft thought about picking up and learning how to play it. It would be my first instrument, and I'm over 50 now. Half of me thinks that if I were to learn guitar on the 12 string, then anything under that would be easier if I came across one, one day.

Sadly, learning a 12 string acoustic wouldnt make any other guitar easier. But by all means, pick it up and start playing. Never to late to start enjoying playing music.

I think its funny when people say a particular band "sold out". If a band doesnt "sell out", they didnt have anything worth selling. No band is going to turn down the chance to play arenas to just stick to playing bars for peanuts.

Reactions: myronman3

You have nothing to lose. Not a thing. Go for it.

One other thing i was gonna mention....when i said before i wanted to learn a little about the music i have been listening to. I never could understand why some bands would smash their guitars during concerts. Well then one day, no matter what i did, my guitar would NOT stay in tune. Boy, i tell ya......a person gets pissed off enough that suddenly you understand EXACTLY why some people smash the fucking thing.
Turns out, it was a change in humidity that was causing the guitar to be like that. When the weather is stable, no issues. But if the humidity levels are fluctuating (where i live, it happens) it is a royal pain in the ass.

I don’t think about it like selling out as much as the influence of the transformation of life from a nobody living in an econoline van with 3 other dudes eating bologna on generic bread, looking for a girlfriend with a job so she can buy pizza and McDonald’s to almost instantly everyone knows you, loves you and unlimited money and recording studio time. The transformation changes the out look on music. In my opinion the best music is usually the first two albums.

i saw an interview with them and they were talking about the bologna. supposedly saying in a room anthrax had, and they called it....i forget what it was for sure..i think it was “loser’s lunch” or some such thing. basically, they stuck out their hand, and got a piece of bologna stuck in it. no bread. eat up.

you know, its times like that which show you who is committed and who isnt.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer