• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any real benefit to running taller scope mounts? I'm wondering if it'll help me.

akmike47

Rumpleforeskin King of the Poors
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    I have 1" rings currently on my rifle. I'm running an ACC chassis and I feel like I'm really tilting my head to the side to get behind the glass. Anyone else had this issue?

I don't want to cause issues having my scope mounted too high, but would like to get my head a little more upright. I have neck/shoulder issues and cranking my head over puts a damper on things.

I've lowered the butt pad, tried different cheek rest heights, and pushed the cheek rest to the right in the rear to get my head over more. Maybe I'm missing something simple here?

I'm guessing a 1.25-1.5 one price mount may help, but $250-400 for a maybe is sure a gamble.

I run 1.27" mounts on my bolt guns for the exact reasons you mentioned. Running your LOP a little shorter and bringing the butt pad in towards your collar bone will help, too.

Reactions: akmike47
    I run 1.27" mounts on my bolt guns for the exact reasons you mentioned. Running your LOP a little shorter and bringing the butt pad in towards your collar bone will help, too.
    I do have my butt pad canted towards my collar bone, but I'll try to shorten my LOP a bit too. It's about 15" now, I measure 15-15.5", maybe I'll take an inch or so out.

Need to find someone local with a similar setup to try.

I really want a Spuhr, but that's 1/4-1/3 of a new scope. I like how some of the one piece rings have rail attachments that go out above the scope bell. I think being able to place my hand there to weight it more may help on some barricades

I do have my butt pad canted towards my collar bone, but I'll try to shorten my LOP a bit too. It's about 15" now, I measure 15-15.5", maybe I'll take an inch or so out.

Need to find someone local with a similar setup to try.

I really want a Spuhr, but that's 1/4-1/3 of a new scope. I like how some of the one piece rings have rail attachments that go out above the scope bell. I think being able to place my hand there to weight it more may help on some barricades

Looks at the Hawkins mounts. That's what I am running, and the Heavy Tactical mounts come with the top rail like you're talking about.

The latest thinking,

because we are trying to get straight behind the rifle for spotting our own shots (not because it’s more accurate), it’s causing neck issues

keeping the scope as low as possible isn’t helping.

most of the time bringing the cheek piece higher will straighten your head vertically which means you need higher rings as well.

For me personally, I always try to (If the gun and/or chassis will accommodate) match the standard 1.53” height to co-align a Clip-on NV or Thermal for mounting in front of the Day scope. My NV or Thermal Clip-on height determines my Day scope rings or mount height...usually 1.53.” This is of course, if you ever could possibly think that might be an option for you? I try to build that into every gun, if at all possible.

For me personally, I always try to (If the gun and/or chassis will accommodate) match the standard 1.53” height to co-align a Clip-on NV or Thermal for mounting in front of the Day scope. My NV or Thermal Clip-on height determines my Day scope rings or mount height...usually 1.53.” This is of course, if you ever could possibly think that might be an option for you? I try to build that into every gun, if at all possible.
    I'll have to save several years for that, but I like the idea