• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any reason not to go 6.5 creedmoor over .308?

madAB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2011
SE PA
I know this topic has been covered in various capacities (I have searched every inch of this forum about the topic), but I'm going to be placing an order for an AIAE MKIII on Monday and just want to get opinions (final shove). I will be going with a 24" folder with brake, and I'm leaning towards trying the 6.5 creedmoor for the first time. Is there any reason I shouldn't over the .308? I'm not interested in .260 rem, as I don't reload, so factory ammo is a necessity for now.

I currently have a Rem 700 AAC-SD .308 in an AICS 2.0 that I was going to sell, but just may keep, and eventually I'll finish my MATEN MKM 18" .308 build. My local range goes to 600y and I plan on taking another L.R.P course later this year that goes out to 1000y. I guess I'm just curious if anyone has ever made the switch from .308 to 6.5C and regretted it? Thanks ahead of time.

I just bought a an AE MKIII in 308. I am going to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel soon and swap calibers. As far as factory ammo, it seems like the Creedmoor Ammo is slightly less expensive ($25-30 a box) on most online retailers as opposed to 308 Match Ammo ($30-Up) in the current market. I reload so either will work for me. The only drawback I see is the accessibility of 6.5 ammo. You can find 308 anywhere. My only hold up is I have to shot 308 for my local F Class matches and my Rem 700 won't cut it. I worry about swapping barrels with frequency, as it may wear on the rifle, so I am considering buying a second MKIII. Barrel life will be considerably longer on the 308 if that is a concern also.

I'm going the same direction. I have 3 precision 308s and I'm deciding if one of them is going to get a caliber swap to 6.5CM or if I'm doing a fresh build this year. As a fellow non-reloader, I haven't found ANYTHING to dissuade me from the 6.5CM.

Nope, go with the 6.5CM, IMO. There are several threads available to read for all the particulars.

The only regret you will have is that you didn't get a 6.5 sooner! The difference will be immediately apparent, especially if you shoot at 600 regularly.

Do it. I just bought one from Mile High as well. This thing flat shoots. I previously had a 6.5x47 based on a Remington .308. Both calibers are much better than .308 in my opinion. I use mine to hunt as well and it will put the hurt on a deer. I could not be more happy with the 6.5 CM. If I feel like I am missing out down the road, I will order a .308 barrel.

I have a couple of .308s that I have used for hunting for many years, and for that purpose I love the caliber. With that said, I am currently saving up for a 6.5 cm build, ballistically it is far superior to the .308. The advantages far outweigh any disadvantages you can think of, the most important being pinpoint accuracy at distances beyond 600, which is about where the .308 begins to open up. I know I can't wait for mine to be finished!

Another quick idea... save up a few more $$$ and get the AI AW then you can have barrels for both 308 and 6.5. Just another thought....

My AIAE 308 pretty much lives in the safe now and used for required 308 matches or as a training rifle for newer shooters.

My 6.5CM AIAX is my go to tack driver out to 1000yds. I love that rifle and love shooting it.

Andrew

Thanks for the reies so far.

Another quick idea... save up a few more $$$ and get the AI AW then you can have barrels for both 308 and 6.5. Just another thought....

My AIAE 308 pretty much lives in the safe now and used for required 308 matches or as a training rifle for newer shooters.

My 6.5CM AIAX is my go to tack driver out to 1000yds. I love that rifle and love shooting it.

Andrew

From everything I read about the AW, I don't think the extras are worth the additional cost to me for my purposes. Isn't the barrel change on the AW easier since it's not bonded to the chasis?

Other than the fact that the AE requires removing the action from the chassis to swap calibers, what advantage is barrel swapping on the AW? I'm eager to see what AI offers at Shot because I hope their new offerings have a PSR style barrel retention system.