• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Any scotch drinkers out there?

benjaminzero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2009
Baltimore, MD
To start off, I'm not made of money so nothing crazy. A bottle tends to last a while so just looking for a few recommendations to pick up and give a try. Current standby is Glenfiddich 12 yr. so I guess i'll work from there. Haven't been steered wrong at the store but looking for any opinions out there. Yes it is subjective, but it's worth a try... I promise it will not go to waste.

Re: Any scotch drinkers out there?

The 12 year-old Macallan is a standard. About $55 a bottle.

I picked up a bottle of 15 year Glenlivet at a class 6 for $60 if I remember correctly, that was a nice bottle. I also got a bottle of 16 year Lagavulin for christmas '08, that was really really good, I think she paid around $80 for it.

Balvenie, single malt & doublewood / matured in two casks. Both the 12 & 21 year are smooth & the peat is not overpowering but just right for the flavor.
also Oban single malt is pretty good two.
Both these are good & smooth. I prefer the Peat but some others brands do get way overkill on it for my taste and for me I don't care for that strong a after flavor.

I have tried the Balvenie doublewood...the sherry cask did add a new layer. Glenlivet or Macallan lead the pack so far...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 12 year-old Macallan is a standard. About $55 a bottle.</div></div>

This is good for the soul

My preferences are Laphroaig, Lavaulin, Balvenie, Ardbeg. Mostly Islay's but a few Highlands as well. I personaly like the very smoky peaty types. If you don't care for the peat and smoke so much try Dalwinnie.

If your not averse to blended Famouse Grouse is the one I give to people who want to try Scotch but don't know were to start.

Glenlivet + nice Maduro cigar = my new de-stressers of choice. Can't go wrong with the 15 year.

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A big +1 on The Glenlivet. Their 18 is hands down my favorite, and the 15 is great as well with some unique characteristics. </div></div>

I have tried all the above and and many many more, so far I find that the Glenlivet 12yr is the best bang for the buck. The Macallen 12yr is the best bargain but is not quite as robust in flavor when compared to the Glenlivet taste wise. You actually may prefer the Macallen. JM2C

One thing...this shit is addicting....
smile.gif

Rhys, speaking of peaty scotch, have you tried a bottle of Talisker?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 12 year-old Macallan is a standard. About $55 a bottle. </div></div>

The secret is the one or two times a year that Costco carries it - It's got Kirkland on the label, with Macallan underneath.....usually in a 15-18/19 year variety (which normally run way over $100-150)....for about $50.

The 12 year-old Macallan has nose of sherry, honey, and flowers, with a smooth full body and currant on the palate, with a rounded finish.

The Glenlivet 12 year has a cleaner nose and a lighter body, with notes of vanilla not found in the Macallan. It's also dryer than the Macallan with a longer, gently warming finish.

The Talisker 10 year-old is a different breed: an explosive, peppery scotch with a long finish and a slightly syrupy body.

I don't like the Islay malts: oily body, smell of seaweed on the nose, peaty texture and a salty finish.

Damn Graham, you are a true connoisseur my friend.

My eval of scotch's basically runs "hmmm.. that shit tastes good"....lol

I normally drink Irish Whiskey but I'm a big fan of Scotch as well. I like the Glenlivet 12 yr as a good old stand by. I also like 12 and 18 yo Glenfiddich. I've had the 10, 12, 18, and 21 yo Balvenies and they are all very good. I actually liked the 10 better than the 12 but the 21 was definitely the best.

My mom usually has Famous Grouse so I'll drink it when I go to her house. It's not bad at all but not in the same league as those mentioned above.

Anyone drink Arborlour (sp?) or Cnoc?

On a different note, how about Welsh, instead of Scotch? The Pendrian (sp?) intrigues me.

The absolute best hands down, end of the line, top of the pile, my mouth will never be the same again......

Macallen 1946, I have only had about half a shot once and a few straw tastes but it is abso-fuck'n-lutly amazing!!

Mac's 25 and 30 are titties as well.

on a more common occurrence Mac 18 grand or Mac sherry cask are on my short list.

My motherinlaw got me started on Chivas back in the 70's and it is still one of my mainstays. The Balvenie 21 yr. is a delight.

My most recent find is Tullibardine highland single malt 1993, around $60.00. Supposed to be #15 on the best 25 list.

When in Scotland in the late 80's we did a mini scotch tour and found my absolute favorite, Glenturret 15 yr. and even better was Glenturret malt liqueur. Unfortunately they are no more and the last time I tried to get some in England the store owner said that would be as rare as rocking horse poop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When in Scotland in the late 80's we did a mini scotch tour and found my absolute favorite, Glenturret 15 yr.</div></div>The Glenturret 15-year old is delicious: a malty nose with hints of oak, a chewy body and roasty perfume-like nutty palate. The finish is creamy, which is unusual for a scotch, and gently warming.

I prefer the Genturret 1972, which has a more complex palate and a bolder finish, but any of the Glenturrets are sleepers, and a good value when you can find them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Macallen 1946, to taste that would be like gettin a shot at laying Aphrodite.
</div></div>

it was ridiculous i didn't want to swallow it.

Mac came out w/ some 1800's Napoleon remake, can't remember the exact date. They took a syringe and pulled some out of the bottle analyzed it and reproduced it, from what I was told. I think, not sure but it ended up being a 18yr production. It was pretty good and a good story but nothing like the the "holy grail".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a bottle of 15 year Glenlivet at a class 6 for $60 if I remember correctly, that was a nice bottle. I also got a bottle of 16 year Lagavulin for christmas '08, that was really really good, I think she paid around $80 for it. </div></div>

+1 for Lagavulin. Really good stuff. My favorite.

I tend to like the Islay Single Malts as well (Lavaulin in particular); but if that is too peaty for you then the Singleton or Isle of Jura are very nice for the price. regards, Dale.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I have quite the shopping list now. Looking forward to trying a few outside of the Speyside area. And some new one's inside as well... haha...

Rhys, speaking of peaty scotch, have you tried a bottle of Talisker? [/quote]

I've had a few different Taliskers. I think there is a partial bottle of Distillers Edition, 18 year I believe, in the cabinet. Deffinately keep that for some special occasions, but prefer the Islay's all things considered. Sombody mentioned Chivas, man last bottle of that I had got used to light my BBQ.

The Mc Allen, Belvinie and Cardu with GOOD STOGGY is the way to live. We used to have a Burns dinner and taste a lot of different Scotches. 20 bucks for a night of good whiskey and laughs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 12 year-old Macallan is a standard. About $55 a bottle. </div></div>

I didn't read the rest of the responses, but this Macallan is available at the liquor stores attached to Costco. If that's available in your area, expect to pay $35 a bottle. Best deal going.

I've had 30 year old Macallan and, while wonderful, it was past its prime. The 21 is about the peak, and the 25 is nice too, if a bit unobtainable these days.

I had a 37 year old Tomintoul that was pretty nice, but I'm a fan of the peatier ones myself. Hands down, the best Scotch I've ever had was a bottle of 30 year old Laphroaig. That amount of time settles it into a truly sublime drink. The bottle was worth every penny I paid for it.

+1 on Macallan as the std... but I'm also big fan of Auchentoshan - the 12 or 21 yr old stuff and the "three wood" (which is first matured in American bourbon oak then finished in Spanish oloroso and Pedro Ximenez sherry casks).

I'm torn between Cardu and Cutty Sark
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Want to get real fancy with it.. Try some with setzer water
smile.gif
</div></div>Stay away from the blends. And keep water away from good scotch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62willdo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one word: Glenmorangie simply the best </div></div>Glenmorangie is one of my favorites, but it depends on which one: The 18 year-old is probably the best, a sweet buttery scotch with walnuts and spices and a nutty oak finish.

What's a Cutty Sark?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's a Cutty Sark?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

...as you know, it's great for removing paint
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

GlenFiddich Reserve for day to day sipping...

Glenmorangie for special occasions

Glenfarclas 105-proof cask strength (no age statement):

The strongest single malt produced for over the counter sale. It has no age statement, but it's 8-10 years old. All the muscle of a full-bodied high proof, with nose of raisins, butterscotch and toffee. A long finish, warmed by the high alcohol content of the proof.

It's my pick for a February at Rifles Only. Those present last year partook in the beverage. It's a bit heavy for March in south Texas, though, which is a warmer month that favors the sweeter, lighter, rounder malts and the softer character of the Lowlands.

Drank scotch on the rocks w/a splash of water for years, then realized you had to drink it neat, in a glass to get the full effect.

But, as I later found out, Gentleman Jack, neat - will kick scotch's ass in the pepsi challenge -- even scotches costing nearly twice as much.

I'm not such a heavy drinker these days, but man do I love Gentleman Jack, especially with a good IPA back.

Not Scotch, and the same for Irish.

Bourbon, yes, preferably as the basis of a Bourbon Manhattan. On very rare occasion. A bottle of Jack lasts me several years.

I immensely enjoy very mild, very large Gin and Tonics; heavy on the Lime. The cheaper the Gin, the better.

Labatt's (when I'm flush), and Busch (when I'm not...) round out my preferences.

The imbibing of esoteric spirits falls outside the practical limits of my frugal existence.

Greg

The nice thing about drinking Gin and Tonic is that when you run out of gin, tonic water and lime is pretty drinkable all by itself.

For those that are fond of Glennmorangi, if you can find it try the Glenndronach 15 y/o. Darker, smoother, smokier w/ a tast that crosses the whole pallet as opposed to front or rear loading. Much more flavorful than the 'morangi and leave 'fiddich in the dust.

Cheers,

Doc

I really liked the Glendronach Original, the sherry-wood aged version, at 12 yrs. That and the plain-wood aged version were both replaced by Glendronach Traditional, which is a blend of both aging methods. I haven't seen the 15 year-old, but the 12 is malty and the 18 year-old has a burnt-toffee dryness.

Aye, "Only a true Scotsman would crawl across the bodies of a dozen naked women to drink a glass of single malt"

Lately I have been drinking Aberlour; if you like the middle of the flaver map, like Balvenie and Dalwhinnie you'll like this one. Its a Speyside and a double cask.

So far, for me: The Dalwhinnie 12 year; Oban 14 year; and Balvenie double cask have provided much enjoyment. But, I'm always open to new taste sensations especially in the world of scotch. I have to say I also have enjoyed Jameson Irish whiskey as well, especially the 12 and 18 year old versions.

I'm not a big scotch drinker but, I bought a bottle of 12 years old Chivas Regal the day my son was born and put it up, he is now 18. I'm a Jim Beam and Coke person, so how would you guys recommend the scoth be drank? Stright, on ice, with water? Give me a few pointers here.