• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any SIG SSG 3000 shooters?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
I have a new SIG SSG 3000 in bound. Where do the more experienced around here recommend I shop for the extra's to complete this rifle? What should I be shopping for? I definely need a scope base and rings, an extra magazine ... what else? Where would I find a second barrel in 260Rem or a 6.5xXX (Creedmor, Lapua, Swede, etc.)? Is sourcing something out of Europe a reasonable option for me?

TIA,
Sid

Re: Any SIG SSG 3000 shooters?

I just bought a scope base from US optics its not the original but they make a Picatinny base which is better then the original 11mm dovetail prism.
if you buy the base you can use any rings you like.
I think thet Sauer 202 magazines will work but not sure.
great accurate rifle you willl enjoy it.
oh, McMillan maekes a replacment stock for it
good luck

Well as mentioned, a scope base from USO would probably be you're best bet, a pair of good quality rings from uso,badger, seekins or the like.

For magazines you must contact sauer/sig usa i assume, the SIG SSG 3000 has the same action as the 200 STR(scandinavian target rifle) it's basically the same weapon with a McMillan stock and a muzzle break, and they will not fit the 202 rifles or vice versa, it's possible to modify them though.

The stock on the SSG 3000 is by deafault the MCM stock , and has been so for quite some years, they are'nt sold with laminae stocks anymore.

Sauer themselves makes good quality barrels for the 200 STR and accuracy wise you won't notice much if anything compared to other quality barrels when it comes to accuracy atleast.
The normal caliber for this weapon is 6,5x55 in its target vesrion so gettign hold of a barrel in that caliber should be manageable.

Alternatively i guess you cna buy a high quality barrel blank and get it fitted, chambered etc, if you can find a gunsmith that will do the work in the us.

Other accesories well mirage band, open sights, optional replacement trigger, bipod, sling, (the triggers are made in 2 configurations with different adjustment ranges witch one is on the SSG i dont know) besides that maybe a firing spring kit jsut in case assuming they might be hard to get hold of within short notice.

Any other usuasl accesories can ofc be used.

Anyways good luck with you're new rifle.

I made a special mount for it, so the "sandiwish" solution can be avoided. The problem is actually that the orignal dovetail in very uneven betwen various guns, and there for I recomend bedding of the mount.
Bedding regardless if it's my mount or somebodys rail.
Problem is also that the 11mm rail ends approx over the ejectionport so we are using also the two 6-48 holes in the front part of the recivier to hold the mount.

Håkan

37596_475931439407_680984407_6688299_2346770_n.jpg

I had an SSG until things happened, but I may have some info that will help.
Go to email: [email protected]. They can help you with replacement barrels.
I'm trying to find a web site I had to get a barrel adapter for the sig. You would have to get any barrel type you want in any caliber as long it is .473. have it machined to fit the adapter. Now you have a switch barrel gun. I'll keep looking, but I think its in Denmark.
I used the US Optics base for mine and it worked great.
I will PM you with the adapter info.
Steve

For some reason I thought I was told by a SIG Rep that the SSG 3000 barrels are pressed in.

Interestingly enough I was shooting a SSG 3000 at the range today. Unfortunately the optics system had some problems that prevented me from exploring the accuracy of the platform.

the SSG is fully modular. the barrel can be replaced in less than two minutes, no head spacing involved due to the bolt locks into the barrel. wish I still had mine

The barrel is held using a clamping style system. It uses 3 small bolts and can easily be changed with a small torque wrench. I also shot mine today. I only have 100 rounds throu it so far. Will post pics soon.

A picture of the clamping system can be found on page 20 (acrobat page 21) of the manual:

http://www.sigsauer.de/fileadmin/editor/download_data/ss_ga/SSG_3000/SSG3000_02gb.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For some reason I thought I was told by a SIG Rep that the SSG 3000 barrels are pressed in.</div></div>

I have heard that Steyr's SSG rifles have barrels that are pressed in.

These guys make 6.5x55 dropin matchbarrels for the SSG3000. They used to export barrels. You have to ask them. Barrels are mede from Schultz&Larsen (cut rifled) or Heym (hammerforged). Blue(Heym) and S&L (red) are painted in thick acrylic paint to reduce barrel vibrations. It works. Barrels cost about $500.

Contact info(they speak english): http://www.vapensmia.no/mil/index.php

Products: http://www.vapensmia.no/siv/produktgruppe.php?gruppe=V%E5pen/piper

If you go through the paperwork you should at least buy 4 barrels. I rate S&L barrels better than Heym.

You can also ask if they can supply you with SSG3000 mags.

This guy is one of the best shooters in Norway. He use S&L (red) barrels. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfY899uNOk0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think thet Sauer 202 magazines will work but not sure.
</div></div>

They won't work. At least not without modifications.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid Post</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a new SIG SSG 3000 in bound. Where do the more experienced around here recommend I shop for the extra's to complete this rifle? What should I be shopping for? I definely need a scope base and rings, an extra magazine ... what else? Where would I find a second barrel in 260Rem or a 6.5xXX (Creedmor, Lapua, Swede, etc.)? Is sourcing something out of Europe a reasonable option for me?

TIA,
Sid </div></div>You can add me to the SSG3000 owners club, picking mine up today.
smile.gif

How's it going with yours?