• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any tactical competitions around Illinois?

Nuke Man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
North West, Illinois
Im new to all this and would like to check out some tactical competitions in Illinois or close to it. If anyone knows of anything it would be appreciated. I am in the Quad City area right of interstate 80.

Re: Any tactical competitions around Illinois?

None........ Closest I have found is Big Piney in Houston MO. They hold a decent tactical match every last Sunday of the Month. I try and shoot it every time. Although this month I will be in TN for a match.

Colfax Iowa has a match, they post the dates on the hometown fourm on ar15.com under the Iowa hometown. They have a vid posted and looked good to go.

Illinois is just crappy for shooting sports -period-. I feel your pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish someone in Illinois would hold Matches. Only bad thing is we cannot have any suppressors. </div></div>

hell i would just be happy with a 1000 yard range in Illinois. I don't know of anything over 500 here in a very flat spacious state.

Aurora Sportsman club has a "practical rifle" match the third Saturday of the month. I would say its closer to USPSA style of shooting than say precision rifle matches. They have stages from 50 feet to about 200 yards. Its fun and a nice way to get out of the house. You do not need to be a member to shoot, twenty bucks to get in on the action. You'll need maybe 100 rounds of ammo a match.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Jared

The 1,000 ranges you read about are in areas where the land has (or had) no other revenue producing alternatives or value. If your land is worth $13,000/acre you would laugh at setting aside a few hundred acres for shooting. The recession has helped us shooters by keeping residential land needs suppressed.

original.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HSNARC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hell i would just be happy with a 1000 yard range in Illinois. I don't know of anything over 500 here in a very flat spacious state. </div></div>

I think some of it also has alot to do with the people in this area and their complete lack of understanding of how rifles work. My stepdad (a farmer) said he didnt want me shooting on his property because if i missed the bullet could kill someone. He actually quoted the warning that used to be posted on the side of the plastic .22 stinger boxes stating .22 could travel 1.5 miles and be deadly.

Illinois has a complete lack of a shooting culture, especially when it comes to centerfire rifles.

Illinois has the best civilian service rifle team in the country and some world class highpower shooters. Also one of the best Junior programs as well. Although the state has some horrible firearm laws, not all is lost.