• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Any thompson center encore shooter out there?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I have a encore pro hunter for a while. It shoots ok but I have noticed after I shoot my primer is black like I am getting blow back. I have had some problems with crud ring from loose triple seven that may have been old. I do mean a bad crud rign, couldnt even load it correctly after shot. I have switched to black horn 209 but havent shot yet. I was told that primer looking black after shot was meaning powder blow back and that was bad. I also have some question about slop where hinge pin goes in. I have upgraded to mike bellm oversized but it still is not tight at reciever whole it drops right through. Help guys season starts in 3 weeks.

Re: Any thompson center encore shooter out there?

IMO you are going to like the BH powder considerably more.

However to address your blow back problem. Different 209 primers are sized differently. So my suggestion is to try some different 209 primers. Find one that fits the nipple tighter. They are different.

BH should solve your crud ring problem. It solved mine. Tom.

I use BH209 and Winchester W209 primers. Loads/cleans easy. No problem shooting 10-15 shots in a row without swabbing. I start getting blowback after a few hundred shots, and it appears that there is some flame cutting/erosion in the breech plug around the base of the primer. A new breach plug cures it.

Its a new breech plug, could a crude ring that I found after shooting triple seven cause blow back where bullet wasnt seated completely?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kejones1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a new breech plug, could a crude ring that I found after shooting triple seven cause blow back where bullet wasnt seated completely? </div></div>

If your primer is the proper size and properly seated then NO. The crud ring should not be causing the blow back. Just my opinion. Tom.

I think I found problem. I had to use three diffrent drill bits get the the crud out to be able to use 1/8 to clean breech plug. I got it clean. I have shot 15 shots with blackhorn 209/CCI 209m not problems with this. I believe my 777 had been left in basement i believe it may have drawn moisture.