• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing any tips on de-greasing an AK for cerakote?

komishe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2012
California , Wheeeeee!
On my fifth gas-out right now, fingers x-ed.
Initial Acetone soak was an hour with a gentle agitation every 15 minutes. Half hour gas-outs at 250 degrees.
20-30 minute soaks with 30 minute purges for all following attempts(soak #3 was an all nighter)

This is my 2nd AK. The only difference I noted from the longer soaks was cosmoline wasn't puking from every orifice like a leaky tube of toothpaste.

The fourth purge came out almost clean, so I'm sitting here hoping...........wishing I had known a quicker way before I started this exercise in patience.

I thought I saw a thread or two about this before the format change.

I plan on doing 1 more in the not so near future, so any tips to speed it up, if there are any, would be greatly appreciated.

Find a local machine shop, as in "engine builder". They have vats of heated de-greaser for pre-machining and post-machining cleaning. This process also strips any and all paint. When done, do the acetone bath for final cleaning to remove any residue.

General Caution: The only caution would be any caustic affect on a chrome-lined bore.

Most likely to have around the house would probably be mineral spirits. It did a good job of cleaning off cosmoline on my lathe and mill. A chip brush and a pan to scrub the AK in should cut down on the soak time. Solvent if you have it would work also. AKs can take a while. Lots of places for the oils to get in to. AK mags too. Just found one that has to go back in the acetone tank.

I think I left an AK-74 in the tank for a week.

Brake cleaner...
I dissolve cosmo off the milsurps, and use it to prep metal before spraying.

Thanks guys, the hot tank sounds pretty handy. It only took six acetone baths :D
I've been doing car parts for my gearhead buddy, so I have access to use one.

Happy Days

I have baked out parts to get rid of trapped oil / grease. I just hang the parts in the oven for a couple hours at 300'ish and it does a good job of getting trapped oil that like to bleed from seams or areas hard to degrease. Once removed and allowed to cool off I blast and degrease as usual. A hot tank of 111 Triclor is hard to find now.

Soak in brake cleaner or equivlent overnight. Your pre-bake needs to be at 350 for about 90 min. Re-soak for two hours then bake again at 350.

Have coated several hundred AK's of all verities, some are worse than others and require more cycles.

Thanks again, Ernie

The AK that I plan to do happens to be my own. I'm going to do a pattern inspired by a pair of Bravo18's you Cerakoted, that I saw in a magazine a while back.:D
I've nearly got the pattern exactly how I want it to look. I'd say one or two more practice trials and it's off to the races.