• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any TRG 42 338LP owners having fouling issues?

dropd57

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2004
CT
A buddy of mine is having fouling issues and as a result, has up the cleaning frequency to 10 shots then clean. Is this the case with others shooting the TRG42 in 338LP?

Thanks

Re: Any TRG 42 338LP owners having fouling issues?

Is accuracy deteriorating at 10 rounds?

I suppose a bum barrel can happen at any time, but don't take insult to me being suspect of your buddy being a bit too anal about visible fouling with the little information you've provided. IMO most folks over clean their rifles which is a waste of time, money and potentially causing more damage to the barrel.

Unless I've gotten moisture on or in the barrel it might be several hundred to almost 450 rds before I notice accuracy dropping off from any fouling and that's when I'll clean it and cleaning won't take more than about 5 minutes max - excluding the brake.

Is it copper or powder fouling you're referring to? What bullets? Load data?

Another example of too much cleaning and not enough shooting.The factory barrel is of high quality.

Keep doing the clean and shoot routine-and keep being frustrated.Fouling after 10 shots-nonsense. More barrels get damaged by cleaning than by SHOOTING.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another example of too much cleaning and not enough shooting.The factory barrel is of high quality.

Keep doing the clean and shoot routine-and keep being frustrated.Fouling after 10 shots-nonsense. More barrels get damaged by cleaning than by SHOOTING. </div></div>

Sako is quality - I'm not refuting that, but it is possible (not likely) he DOES have a barrel problem. As was mentioned, the "fouling" needs to be described better, and we have to know if accuracy is deteriorating.

If "fouling" means you can visibly see a coppery-orange streak in the lands, he just needs to shoot it more, and watch the accuracy (which will probably improve). However, if there is something wrong with the barrel (not impossible), he could be legitimately seeing some substantial fouling. More info is needed.

My buddy stated that when we shoots 35 rounds of 300 gr Scenars w/ 76 grains of N560 we are using 76 grains X35 rounds/ 438 grains /oz = 6ozs of powder. That’s lots of residue to the point where when he pushes a patch after shooting it is caked with residue. HE found that what ever powder he shot, the first 6 or 7 rounds would be good (w/ N560 this would be .3-.4 MOA ) and then would get 1 or two fliers in 8-10 rounds. He shot 250 gr 92 grains with N165 at 2950 fps and cleaned every 10 rounds. The next group after cleaning is always one hole and then the fliers after 7.
He's going to load 76 gr N560 w/ 300 gr heads and shoot and clean every 6 rounds (groups of three) and see how it looks.

In addition to seeing copper in the barrel, in the past he has had jumps in pressure which we related to the fouling concerns.

Just wondering what others are doing regarding cleaning for the 338LP. I am from the school of more shooting and less cleaning, but maybe it's a different story for the 338LP.

On mine, I can get more rounds then my shoulder will allow and I have not seen any issue like you are stating. Was this rifle NIB, or bought used?

It sounds like your friend has ignition issues.

I've owned a total of 5 TRG rifles (2-42's and 3-22's). I shoot with several friends who also own TRG rifles. A TRG will go a long way without cleaning and still hold .5 moa. Copper wash in the bbl is normal and should not affect accuracy. Without exception, all of my rifles shoot best when they are dirty (40 rounds or more). They aren't benchrest rifles, they're field pieces.

Get him to stop cleaning, find a load that works, and start shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmbjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like your friend has ignition issues.

I've owned a total of 5 TRG rifles (2-42's and 3-22's). I shoot with several friends who also own TRG rifles. A TRG will go a long way without cleaning and still hold .5 moa. Copper wash in the bbl is normal and should not affect accuracy. Without exception, all of my rifles shoot best when they are dirty (40 rounds or more). They aren't benchrest rifles, they're field pieces.

Get him to stop cleaning, find a load that works, and start shooting. </div></div>

Are you talking about primers or bad powder?

Both my buddy and I can attest to what the TRG can do. Both of us have TRG 22 rifles that shoot! That is one of the reasons he purchased the used 338LP, while on a shooting trip in the mid-west.

I am concerned more so about the increase in pressure readings (3,100 + fps) with closely monitored handloads, then the continue to shoot for accuracy approach. I think a new barrel is the cure, but could be wrong. That's why I posted here before suggesting a rebarrel.

I second the ignition remark. What primers are they? Maybe try a new batch? Don't want to insult your intelligence, but are magnum primers being used? Is there *any* chance there is moisture in the cases when loaded? How about humidity?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second the ignition remark. What primers are they? Maybe try a new batch? Don't want to insult your intelligence, but are magnum primers being used? Is there *any* chance there is moisture in the cases when loaded? How about humidity? </div></div>

No insult, plus my buddy is the one loading, I'm just trying to help as we all do. He's using CCI 250 magnum primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dropd57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
gmbjr said:
It sounds like your friend has ignition issues.

Get him to stop cleaning, find a load that works, and start shooting. </div></div>

Are you talking about primers or bad powder?

Both my buddy and I can attest to what the TRG can do. Both of us have TRG 22 rifles that shoot! That is one of the reasons he purchased the used 338LP, while on a shooting trip in the mid-west.

I am concerned more so about the increase in pressure readings (3,100 + fps) with closely monitored handloads, then the continue to shoot for accuracy approach. I think a new barrel is the cure, but could be wrong. That's why I posted here before suggesting a rebarrel.

/quote]

Are you indicating 3100 fps with 300 gr Scenars? That sounds hot even with a 250 gr. Try cleaning it and shooting some factory ammo out of to see what it does before throwing another barrel on it.

To get consistant ignition, he may need a hotter primer like a 215. Have you guys had any pressure signs with any of your loads?

Yep, it gets dirty, but that seems to have not affect on the accuracy. The type of ammo is a bigger issue. Lapua 250gr Lock Bases rule, at least in my tool. Deadly accurate and very repeatable ammunition.

Like Darkhorse mentioned 3100 FPS is way to damn hot even for 250gr scenars. If you're getting that with 300 Scenars he better back the load way down. Typical is in the 2700 FPS range.