• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Any way to drop metered charges into the powder drop station in a progressive press?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    I Want to remove the powder drop from my LNL AP press- and adapt that station for a funnel powder drop, to accept electronic scale metered charges- "dump-in"...

Can it be done?

What do I need?

On a Dillon you use this funnel:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23633/catid/3/Plastic_Funnel

With this die:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23631/catid/4/AT_500_Powder_Die

I used this setup for a while throwing charges on a Chargemaster and dumping in a 550B before switching presses for most rifle rounds. Works fine with the Dillon. Don't know if it works with a Hornady. If you think it may be a clearance issue for any reason let me know and I'll measure what you need or take close up pics.

Replace the powder measure with a Lee powder through expander die. Then don't forget to charge the case.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Guess I should have been more specific...
    Bottleneck cases....308, 7-08, .260...
    Does the Dillon have a fixed, belled section on the inside (like my powder drop), and I set the depth in the press so that when the shellholder is fully up, it's seated tight and i drop the powder through the funnel?

Seems it might be a bit touchy to get that set just right, too loose and powder spills- too tight and you trash the case mouth?

For my win mag 300 loads, I use a rcbs 1500 charge master and a powder funnel.
    When the case is in station #6 on my Dillon 1050 is on the down stroke I drop the powder in the case.

A dillon powder die for which ever case you are using with a funnel on the top to pour powder thru.

Satern makes nice caliber specific funnels. Powder slides through them like powder sliding through a funnel. No static. Get the one that best suits your need.

I think I would kill myself trying to drop powder into a funnel on a progressive. Advantage of a progressive is speed and you are going to bring the whole operation to a stop while waiting for an electronic thrower to throw powder. Throwing powder on a RCBS 1500 is the slowest part of the process for me loading on a Coax and I have my 1500 tweaked to throw powder pretty fast.

Unless you are thinking of running like 3 or 4 RCBS 1500's so you always have 2 or 3 of them throwing powder so you always have a pan of powder ready I think you will get frustrated really easily with the process.