• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody else hate the gym?

I used to be an amateur boxer. I started teaching my son how to throw some punches, hitting the heavy bag & mitts. I provided instruction along the way (footwork, defense, setting traps, etc) & told him at some point in life he’ll need to use these skills to defend himself. We even did some light sparring along the way. It’s also good cardio so rock’n’roll w/ the PT.

I bought more equipment & my daughter got involved as well. She asked for & received a super cobra bag for Christmas. I didn’t see that coming! I really don’t foresee either kid traveling around to do club fights or Golden Gloves, etc but its encouraging to see them learn to take care of themselves.

The bitch of this situation is that I ended up tearing a tendon & a ligament in my elbow so I haven’t been able to throw punches or PT in the home gym for a few months. We just don’t heal as well as we did 30 years ago.

The funny thing is that even at 48 years old I can still attack the workout session like it stole money from my grandma. After doing a PRP treatment I’m hoping to get back into the home gym routine (slowly) in a few more weeks.

i used to like going to the gym, and i generally try to avoid things i hate.

The bitch of this situation is that I ended up tearing a tendon & a ligament in my elbow so I haven’t been able to throw punches or PT in the home gym for a few months. We just don’t heal as well as we did 30 years ago.

The funny thing is that even at 48 years old I can still attack the workout session like it stole money from my grandma. After doing a PRP treatment I’m hoping to get back into the home gym routine (slowly) in a few more weeks.
Man that sucks, good luck with that. I tore the medial head of my tricep off of my elbow while working out some years back. Doc said 18 months for full recovery. I thought he was joking. He’s was pretty right on. It took a long time to heal enough to begin using and then forever to start really lifting again. But I came back. Good on you for not stopping. Fuck that quitting shit.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Don't hate them at all. Been going since mid 20s after tearing an ACL. One thing led to another. Had some great partners along the way. Hardest part is just getting there sometimes. It helps to go at 6am. No crowds. Working hard now to stay fit, trying to keep up with the prs boys! I just feel better physically, and I believe mentally, after a good workout.

After a good workout I generally feel like I am going to give up my breakfast. A few hours later, I feel pretty good.

Reactions: varano14
Man that sucks, good luck with that. I tore the medial head of my tricep off of my elbow while working out some years back. Doc said 18 months for full recovery. I thought he was joking. He’s was pretty right on. It took a long time to heal enough to begin using and then forever to start really lifting again. But I came back. Good on you for not stopping. Fuck that quitting shit.
Spot on about the recovery. At 48 I put a 3cm tear in my left pec (tired, and wasn't paying attention when BP'ing one morning). And it took quite a while before I could really put some weight back on it, and I have to be extra careful now, since it'll always be prone to tearing again.

After a good workout I generally feel like I am going to give up my breakfast. A few hours later, I feel pretty good.
I can't eat before I workout. It's an hour commute from my gym to my office, so by the time I get to work, I feel like I can eat. This morning was strict pull-ups, kb swings, and Echo bike sprints...I'm certain I would've seen my breakfast if I had ate prior.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Yeah, I always eat post work out since I work out in the morning. Coffee is about all I have, with the exception of when I"m really feeling burned out. Then I pop a few large sweet tarts before working out.

Heavy squats or deadlifts are what sometimes leave me wanting to puke...

Yeah, I always eat post work out since I work out in the morning. Coffee is about all I have, with the exception of when I"m really feeling burned out. Then I pop a few large sweet tarts before working out.

Heavy squats or deadlifts are what sometimes leave me wanting to puke...
I can't do it. I have oatmeal an hour before I work out. Like clockwork. Otherwise I am too flat.

I squatted relatively heavy (for me) today on the belt squat. First working set was fucking cataclysmic but the next three felt like childs play. Almost recovered from an injury from Good Mornings, so I could probably get back under the bar, but I am really liking belt squats these days. I feel like I am getting old enough that I need to double my warm ups. I am going to end up like one of those people who has a relationship with his foam roller.

I can't do it. I have oatmeal an hour before I work out. Like clockwork. Otherwise I am too flat.

I squatted relatively heavy (for me) today on the belt squat. First working set was fucking cataclysmic but the next three felt like childs play. Almost recovered from an injury from Good Mornings, so I could probably get back under the bar, but I am really liking belt squats these days. I feel like I am getting old enough that I need to double my warm ups. I am going to end up like one of those people who has a relationship with his foam roller.
This definitely sounds like a warm up issue (and no, I don't mean a foam roller). Are you performing the exercise with progressively heavier weights, before pushing your working weight (to prime your CNS)?

Also, is there a reason you're not doing a regular (high bar) or low bar barbell squat? Is it a lack of equipment, or some other reason?

This definitely sounds like a warm up issue (and no, I don't mean a foam roller). Are you performing the exercise with progressively heavier weights, before pushing your working weights.

Also, is there a reason you're not doing a regular (high bar) or low bar barbell squat? Is it a lack of equipment, or some other reason?
Yeah, I busted my back up doing heavy good mornings a couple of months ago, so I am doing everything I can to squat while rehabbing my back. I don't need to throw five hundred plus pounds on my shoulders the way I feel now. The belt squat does double duty. I can still go heavy on my legs, but because of the nature of the apparatus, it tractions my spine as I squat. And yes, it was 4x6x485, which is 5 lbs more than Tuesday.

This definitely sounds like a warm up issue (and no, I don't mean a foam roller). Are you performing the exercise with progressively heavier weights, before pushing your working weight (to prime your CNS)?

Oh, I misread your question about warm ups. Yeah, of course. I ramp up doing 5s adding a plate to each side each successive set. It was just one of those days where what usually seems like enough wasn't quite enough, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: MarinePMI
As a high school principal, I have my own weight room that I can use at my pleasure. But I still hate working out. I should be honest, I hate the first 5 minutes of my 60 minutes of circuit training. Once it’s over, I feel great. I’m not getting any younger and if it allows me a few more years of drinking bourbon, it’s worth it.

Reactions: camocorvette
Yes, hate them, or probably more accurately the people in them.

Depends on your goals. If swole is the goal, going to have to buy the plates. If cardio, you should be outside doing that anyway (running on the treadmill is our punishment for everything we ever did wrong in life).

I've settled somewhere in the middle. I use kettlebells to maintain strength, flexibility, and cardio, while still getting out a lot to hike and ruck in the mountains.

None of which helps too much when you are traveling.

+1 for kettlebells running and rucking. I throw in heavy bag, jump rope, and resistance bands too.

When I finished my most recent cycle of Cardiopulmonary Rehab, they provided me with a set of simplified (using common objects for apparatus, although I already had the treadmill) exercises. They're simple, and don't remind me of the gym crowd aspect. The exercises are modified/simplified to suit my condition

I have no reasons to hate the gym.

If you can't get your cardio up by lifting, you aren't lifting heavy enough for your current capabilities. I don't know how much you squat, for example, but I am in pretty good shape, and did a top set of 16 recently at 355 and I was about to fucking die. I imagine that would be true for anybody, though guys stronger than I would obviously need to lift higher weights.If you are lifting within your comfort zone. Even a true one rep or three rep max should have you fighting for o2.

Sure, maybe I'm slacking in the gym. I only lift 2-3x/week and don't focus on any specific lifts, so I'm certainly well short of whatever modest generic limits with which I've been blessed. For example, my 1RM on deadlifts is around 2.2x bodyweight, so novice-level at best.

But also consider than maybe I'm carrying less lean mass than you, because I'm not a big guy. And maybe my focus on endurance sports (specifically cycling) has left me with a different level of cardiac performance. And also consider that we may have substantial differences in the balance of fast vs. slow-twitch muscle fibers (some of this due to genetics, some due to training) that ultimately results in substantial differences in our response to a particular stimulus. And maybe you're going into the gym rested and I'm going in fatigued, and that results in less heart rate response to a 20-second set. Or maybe you're that guy at the gym who getting close to his established max heart rate because he does nothing but lift, and gets close to a coronary event each time a set goes past the 30-second mark.

My point is that if you simply take your experiences (or that of those who are similarly trained) and apply them with a broad brush, you are unlikely to paint an accurate picture.

Or, once again, maybe I'm just a pussy in the weight room. Lots of possibilities here.

I'm assuming that you've got accurate heart rate measurement data (obtained from an EKG chest strap, not some bullshit optical measurement from a wrist device) that backs up your observations. If so, I'm hoping you'll follow my lead and share it, along with your max heart rate, aerobic threshold, lactate threshold, VO2max estimate, and total anaerobic capacity.

Here's a sample of some of my data from the past few weeks:

Screenshot_20210123-144727.png

Screenshot_20210116-121842.png

Screenshot_20210123-144946.png

There is one mountain bike ride at about 0.8 intensity factor, a lifting session with sets of 8 reps on deadlifts, bench, lat pulldowns, and I-can't-remember-what-else, and then a lifting session that mostly consisted of a bunch of lighter weights and higher reps (walking barbell lunges, bodyweight dips, sit-ups, push-ups, etc.). FYI, the graphs are not necessarily in that order. See what you can tease from the data. Maybe it's that I'm a pussy.

Sure, maybe I'm slacking in the gym. I only lift 2-3x/week and don't focus on any specific lifts, so I'm certainly well short of whatever modest generic limits with which I've been blessed. For example, my 1RM on deadlifts is around 2.2x bodyweight, so novice-level at best.

But also consider than maybe I'm carrying less lean mass than you, because I'm not a big guy. And maybe my focus on endurance sports (specifically cycling) has left me with a different level of cardiac performance. And also consider that we may have substantial differences in the balance of fast vs. slow-twitch muscle fibers (some of this due to genetics, some due to training) that ultimately results in substantial differences in our response to a particular stimulus. And maybe you're going into the gym rested and I'm going in fatigued, and that results in less heart rate response to a 20-second set. Or maybe you're that guy at the gym who getting close to his established max heart rate because he does nothing but lift, and gets close to a coronary event each time a set goes past the 30-second mark.

My point is that if you simply take your experiences (or that of those who are similarly trained) and apply them with a broad brush, you are unlikely to paint an accurate picture.

Or, once again, maybe I'm just a pussy in the weight room. Lots of possibilities here.

I'm assuming that you've got accurate heart rate measurement data (obtained from an EKG chest strap, not some bullshit optical measurement from a wrist device) that backs up your observations. If so, I'm hoping you'll follow my lead and share it, along with your max heart rate, aerobic threshold, lactate threshold, VO2max estimate, and total anaerobic capacity.

Here's a sample of some of my data from the past few weeks:

View attachment 7535513

View attachment 7535515
View attachment 7535516

There is one mountain bike ride at about 0.8 intensity factor, a lifting session with sets of 8 reps on deadlifts, bench, lat pulldowns, and I-can't-remember-what-else, and then a lifting session that mostly consisted of a bunch of lighter weights and higher reps (walking barbell lunges, bodyweight dips, sit-ups, push-ups, etc.). FYI, the graphs are not necessarily in that order. See what you can tease from the data. Maybe it's that I'm a pussy.
All of those things are possible, and I am not trying to insinuate that you are a pussy. Maybe you are ;). My point is that most people don't see lifting as a way to drive up your heart rate, but that anybody, if they push themselves to a true max set, be it one or twenty rep, is going to be pushing their cardio. But maxing is a learned skill, just like mountain biking. It is more than just doing as much as you can at a given point.

The point is that if you turn squatting into a 400 meter sprint. That is to say if you are working your hardest for 45 seconds to a minute squatting, you are going to be gassed. Just like everybody in the Olympics is gassed after running the 400.

FWIW, I am sure I would die riding a mountain bike. I hate riding bikes. I don't use a heart monitor, so I am not going to be able to share that info with you.

Personally, I can't stand gyms.

Anybody else here hate gyms? And if so, what do you do to get your exercise in?

Looking for some ideas on how to get more in shape, but in ways I would actually enjoy. I do enjoy doing bodyweight workouts at home or at the hotel (travel lots), I occasionally do yoga with the wife, and I'm looking at getting a cheap road bike.

Looking to get some motivation and ideas from you guys that also hate gyms.
I love biking— road and mtn. Have been riding since high school.

I actually have a really nice road bike I’m going to list for sale if you’re interested. Would be willI get to trade for something. Pm me if you have any interest.

All of those things are possible, and I am not trying to insinuate that you are a pussy. Maybe you are ;). My point is that most people don't see lifting as a way to drive up your heart rate, but that anybody, if they push themselves to a true max set, be it one or twenty rep, is going to be pushing their cardio. But maxing is a learned skill, just like mountain biking. It is more than just doing as much as you can at a given point.

The point is that if you turn squatting into a 400 meter sprint. That is to say if you are working your hardest for 45 seconds to a minute squatting, you are going to be gassed. Just like everybody in the Olympics is gassed after running the 400.

FWIW, I am sure I would die riding a mountain bike. I hate riding bikes. I don't use a heart monitor, so I am not going to be able to share that info with you.

The most probable conclusion to this discussion is that I'm a pussy in the gym - or at least someone who is adverse to getting jacked-up from going too heavy at this point in my life.

My data suggests that sets of 8-10 reps on squats and deadlifts gets my heart rate to a level that some might consider to be high - about 165 BPM. But that's only a few BPM above my lactate threshold and 20 BPM short of my max heart rate, so it's not at all high from the perspective of an all-out anaerobic output (for comparison, I've seen an average of 160 BPM for a 3-hour race).

Interestingly enough, I have seen higher peak heart rates by doing compound movements at relatively low weight and high reps. A good example is a standing low cable row combined with a single-leg step-up at bodyweight + 100 lbs for AMRAP; that's good for 175 BPM at the end. But that's a momentary number and doesn't compare to the duration I might see during a proper interval session on the bike.

I'll conclude by saying that heart rate is generally a shitty way to characterize intensity or training load during short durations of activity. In cycling, we have power meters that do a much better job of capturing these efforts (typically in the form of a TSS, or Training Stress Score for a given workout). Heart rate can be used under quasi-steadystate conditions, but short durations of maximal effort won't properly be capturing using only heart rate data; I can do 10-15 seconds at a power level of about 5x my steady-state maximum, but yet my heart rate might not get within 30 BPM of my maximum if I roll into this sprint from a casual pace. This is where properly trained usage of perceived exertion has its place.

I love biking— road and mtn. Have been riding since high school.

I actually have a really nice road bike I’m going to list for sale if you’re interested. Would be willI get to trade for something. Pm me if you have any interest.

Appreciate the offer, but already have a bike!

In fact, will be going on a little road ride tomorrow with the wife in the AM :)

Reactions: E. Bryant and Dta1
That makes sense. Take your 8-10 rep squat weight and do an AMRAP with that. It might get you where you want to go.
The most probable conclusion to this discussion is that I'm a pussy in the gym - or at least someone who is adverse to getting jacked-up from going too heavy at this point in my life.

My data suggests that sets of 8-10 reps on squats and deadlifts gets my heart rate to a level that some might consider to be high - about 165 BPM. But that's only a few BPM above my lactate threshold and 20 BPM short of my max heart rate, so it's not at all high from the perspective of an all-out anaerobic output (for comparison, I've seen an average of 160 BPM for a 3-hour race).

Interestingly enough, I have seen higher peak heart rates by doing compound movements at relatively low weight and high reps. A good example is a standing low cable row combined with a single-leg step-up at bodyweight + 100 lbs for AMRAP; that's good for 175 BPM at the end. But that's a momentary number and doesn't compare to the duration I might see during a proper interval session on the bike.

I'll conclude by saying that heart rate is generally a shitty way to characterize intensity or training load during short durations of activity. In cycling, we have power meters that do a much better job of capturing these efforts (typically in the form of a TSS, or Training Stress Score for a given workout). Heart rate can be used under quasi-steadystate conditions, but short durations of maximal effort won't properly be capturing using only heart rate data; I can do 10-15 seconds at a power level of about 5x my steady-state maximum, but yet my heart rate might not get within 30 BPM of my maximum if I roll into this sprint from a casual pace. This is where properly trained usage of perceived exertion has its place.

i started going to gym 6 days a week when i was 18, by 20 i torn/sprained a tendon in my shoulder such that i could even change gears in a manual shifter for 6 months. Then came uni, moving to the usa, marriage, family, career - in mid 40s and cause we working from home picked up weights since july, 6 days a week - had amazng effect on many aspects

Reactions: kthomas
That makes sense. Take your 8-10 rep squat weight and do an AMRAP with that. It might get you where you want to go.

Will try that the next time I feel fresh going into a weight session and report back with my findings.

I like going to my home gym. I hate public gyms.

There's always someone curling in the squat rack, two bros hoarding the 45's while they talk about their new pre-workout drink, and yes, the screamer. There's always the screamer; the one that feels it a necessity that he (or she) let everyone within a 100 yd range know, that they are lifting heavy weights.

Fuck that noise.

Now that the Rona has shut down most gyms, and exercise equipment is almost as scarce as small pistol primers, I just chuckle and shake my head. ...as I rack another set of plates, take a sip of my morning coffee, log my work into my journal, and listen to a pod cast about long range shooting.

Fuck public gyms...

Reactions: Sandhog308
I miss going to the gym. Reduced hours of operation has everyone bunched up, all of the equipment taken. Due to limited availability of equipment we have to share said equipment. Reduced hours has defeated the purpose of social distancing.

I have a limited amount of exercise equipment at home. The one thing I do have are public trails nearby and a backpack which, minus the tent, bag and rifle, is almost loaded for a back country hunt. I do squats and push ups during my hikes to prevent the onset of lard ass.

I used to struggle with excess weight, and the only solution for me was the gym. I hated every second that I spent there, and that is why I always used to quit. I tried all the possible methods to lose weight, but nothing helped. That is why I decided to search for a personal trainer this time. I went on the internet and started to search for a solution. After hours of searching, I was able to find a really cool website lucasjamespersonaltraining.com that had everything I needed. I ran into Lucas James, and this was probably the most important meeting in my life. He changed everything in my life, not only physically but also mentally. He taught me the right way to train and eat. Now I can finally say that I’m happy with myself.

Last edited:
Never had a use to pay for a gym membership. I won a year’s membership, went for awhile. The big plus was it was packed with hotties 😜

That said , I have some loose weights , do old school stuff like push-ups , crunches, and stretches...As far as cardio , I run a LOT ! Since 2000 i have averaged 2,000 miles per year. I have run all my life and besides things out of my control ( ie: cataract & hernia repair, weather) I seldom miss a day. As of today I haven’t missed a day since Dec. 2020.
Went over 2K for 2021 already.
Add the age factor ...will be 68 this month , I don’t need a gym 🍻

Never had a use to pay for a gym membership. I won a year’s membership, went for awhile. The big plus was it was packed with hotties 😜

That said , I have some loose weights , do old school stuff like push-ups , crunches, and stretches...As far as cardio , I run a LOT ! Since 2000 i have averaged 2,000 miles per year. I have run all my life and besides things out of my control ( ie: cataract & hernia repair, weather) I seldom miss a day. As of today I haven’t missed a day since Dec. 2020.
Went over 2K for 2021 already.
Add the age factor ...will be 68 this month , I don’t need a gym 🍻
This is the exact thing I was talking about in post #98, finding a strenuous activity you enjoy and stick with it.

I’ve tried jogging several times in my adult life and just can’t get into it, I fucking hate it. My thing is the free weight section of a gym. I’ve had a few periods that I’ve been into rock climbing. I can definitely see myself getting into biking(road or mountain) when my kids get a little older.

The beautiful thing about humanity and our messy free will, in this context, is that there is an almost endless list of ways to challenge yourself

This is the exact thing I was talking about in post #98, finding a strenuous activity you enjoy and stick with it.

I’ve tried jogging several times in my adult life and just can’t get into it, I fucking hate it. My thing is the free weight section of a gym. I’ve had a few periods that I’ve been into rock climbing. I can definitely see myself getting into biking(road or mountain) when my kids get a little older.

The beautiful thing about humanity and our messy free will, in this context, is that there is an almost endless list of ways to challenge yourself
I‘m not a huge fan of running, just the best way for me to get a good cardio workout in that takes not much time. Was blessed with good legs and knees ,BUT I can feel the age creeping in. I ride a mountain bike as a cross training workout , and eventually I will look into a decent indoor bike like a Peloton.
I am in better cardio shape now than maybe ever ? Ran 6 marathons , 12 1/2 marathons. No more of those , too rough on ones body.
I weight the same as I did when I went to boot camp in 71. I can eat and drink like a Hog , that’s my main reason to keep challenging myself 👍

Reactions: The D
Never had a gym membership.

I do have mountain bikes, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, etc.

Go do stuff, and you don't get fat if you eat decent.

My sister was agast at how much I eat, as her nutritionalist guidelines told her I should be 400 lbs, but I'm 210 at 6'. I wear a tool belt and move all day every day, carry stuff around, etc. Then I go have fun outside with the toys every weekend.

There is a gym a few miles form my house, it is free to me. Someday I'll retire and have time to go. I work 12 hour days and am not getting up at 3am to lift weights, fuck that. I'm sure it is stuffed with gym hoes and the usual yelling weight lifter and idiots clanking weight and doing stupid things with equipment, I've spent lots of time in gyms over the years. This gym has a nice selection of bikes, treadmills and ellipticals that I'll borrow on cold and rainy days then leave before people talk to me.

I used to ride a mountain bike or road bike alternately about 150 miles a week. I've been attacked by dogs, nearly killed by cars and trucks, I've had drunks intentionally try and run me down, stop and threaten me, throw crap, right hook me into the next world. I had a women wave me thru an intersection, then floor it and try and hit me/cops got her and she was drunk and hated people on bikes. I do not ride on or near public roads any more.

I have an expensive treadmill that does not talk to anyone in the ether and a weight machine at home that does not communicate with the Chinese and acreage to maintain in my spare time. My favorite workout lately is running the log splitter and stacking firewood.

Had all those things happen while riding , plus had 2 semi bad crashes on my Mt Bike.
Ended up in the ER both times. You mentioned quite a few reasons I would avoid gyms. Some people need the structure and and being around others , which is fine..just not for me.
I get up early , run early while things are still and quiet. Getting up @0300 is a tad early , I lay up a hour or so longer. Being retired makes exercising lots easier too.
Older we get the more we lose muscle mass , the less we move , the easier it is to stay that way. Being active and taking relatively good care of yourself makes all tasks easier. 🍻

ps: I carry mace , knife , S&W Airlite .22 run or ride ! Beucoup assholes and animals on the roads.

In my younger years, I spent a lot of time in gyms. Started back during my Tech. School days in the A.F., didn't make a lot of money, so, that's where I could be found for about 2-2.5hrs., 4 to 5 days a week. I spent time in a gym until my early 40's, raced m.x. and desert. Got married at 33y.o. and life changed (kids/responsibilities and all).
What I hated about public gyms, was people taking up a machine/free-weights, and sitting around b.s.'ing with some other patron or, talking to you in the middle of a set.
I liked to get in and get out in a decent amount of time. I didn't want to live there. Been a lot of years since I frequented the Holy Ground. So, my memory is a little vague. I'm sure I had other instances and/or complaints. Mac

In my younger years, I spent a lot of time in gyms. Started back during my Tech. School days in the A.F., didn't make a lot of money, so, that's where I could be found for about 2-2.5hrs., 4 to 5 days a week. I spent time in a gym until my early 40's, raced m.x. and desert. Got married at 33y.o. and life changed (kids/responsibilities and all).
What I hated about public gyms, was people taking up a machine/free-weights, and sitting around b.s.'ing with some other patron or, talking to you in the middle of a set.
I liked to get in and get out in a decent amount of time. I didn't want to live there. Been a lot of years since I frequented the Holy Ground. So, my memory is a little vague. I'm sure I had other instances and/or complaints. Mac
Once I got comfortable with a gym and some of the regulars I sometimes treated it like a part time job. But, when I was socializing I was never in the way of anybody doing actual work. That is one of the grating annoyances I had with a public gym. I also never hoarded equipment unnecessarily. I would definitely snag extra weights and/or dumbbells to do some crazy supersets but it was always pretty obvious I was using them for some real work and they got returned as soon as possible.

Sometimes I think there's confusion or misunderstanding if someone is "hoarding equipment" or if they are lifting heavy, which requires a longer recovery time between sets (though they should allow people to work in, and should offer as much).

I have my own gym now, so public gyms are a thing of the past, and the cost of the personal equipment is well worth the flexibility in my hectic work schedule (especially with COVID), as well as not having to deal with any screamers, gym bros (flexing in the mirror) or chicks walking around looking for attention.

I enjoy putting some music or an audio book on, and then just working through sets for that day's training plan. Being able to do so at 4am without having to drive somewhere is another plus...the gym is great for dealing with jet lag, especially when it's in my house.

Like the gym because of the access to multiple hi quality machines that I cannot afford or have the room for being a “poor”. I run, bike and swim mostly outside but like to do cardio on the arch machine in the gym as it is the most efficient way to burn calories with little joint stress. Its flat terrain in Florida and 15 deg incline on a tread mill... can’t find that in nature.

Peak hrs suck, and yeah occasionally you get idiots around but the young 20 something in spandex doing squats infront of you makes up for it. Also you can learn what to do or not to do watch what others do. If you see somebody with a good physique, watch what they do and you can learn how they got there .

with a fitness rep bench, rogue rack, and a good bar there’s zero reason to need a gym. I went from 247 to 195 in 9months and shredded out. Not once did I go to a gym. 30min workouts 4x a week. Zero cardio

with a fitness rep bench, rogue rack, and a good bar there’s zero reason to need a gym. I went from 247 to 195 in 9months and shredded out. Not once did I go to a gym. 30min workouts 4x a week. Zero cardio
You lost 50, I normally gain weight when I lift weights. Been going pretty consistently over the past 5 months and put on about 30 lbs.

What I loved about going to the gym was the class instructor lecturing me on trying harder when my pulse was over 200.

Everyone hates fate people and expect they can just show up and do normal workouts while everyone mocks them.

I ended up walking/running to lose weight. I will never set foot in a place like that again ever.
Bonus for swimming very joint forgiving. Yeah I don't lift and back to being a scrawny ass.
F*** the gym and the bro culture

Once I got comfortable with a gym and some of the regulars I sometimes treated it like a part time job. But, when I was socializing I was never in the way of anybody doing actual work. That is one of the grating annoyances I had with a public gym. I also never hoarded equipment unnecessarily. I would definitely snag extra weights and/or dumbbells to do some crazy supersets but it was always pretty obvious I was using them for some real work and they got returned as soon as possible.
During my A.F. career, I really didn't have any issues in any of the base gyms, but, when I got to Ca., I figured I'd trip the light fantastic, and get a membership at Gold's in San Berdoodoo. What a F'n mistake that was. I wasn't into the "show and tell" crowd and didn't spend a lot my time BSing. So....I went back to the base gym thing. Have to admit, I do miss my simple life back then. Didn't make a lot of bank, but, I think I was a happier person. Mac:cool:

What I loved about going to the gym was the class instructor lecturing me on trying harder when my pulse was over 200.

Everyone hates fate people and expect they can just show up and do normal workouts while everyone mocks them.

I ended up walking/running to lose weight. I will never set foot in a place like that again ever.
Bonus for swimming very joint forgiving. Yeah I don't lift and back to being a scrawny ass.
F*** the gym and the bro culture
That was always something I hated about the gym, it’s too bad you went trough that. I always tried to encourage anyone who was just beginning their weight loss

Reactions: camocorvette
During my A.F. career, I really didn't have any issues in any of the base gyms, but, when I got to Ca., I figured I'd trip the light fantastic, and get a membership at Gold's in San Berdoodoo. What a F'n mistake that was. I wasn't into the "show and tell" crowd and didn't spend a lot my time BSing. So....I went back to the base gym thing. Have to admit, I do miss my simple life back then. Didn't make a lot of bank, but, I think I was a happier person. Mac:cool:
One of the happiest times of my life was my 20’s when I was single and didn’t have anything to do but work, be a gym rat, & hang out with my friends.

Now I have kids and it’s a, uh, different kind of happy. An utterly exhausting, sometimes frustrating, incredible happiness

One of the happiest times of my life was my 20’s when I was single and didn’t have anything to do but work, be a gym rat, & hang out with my friends.

Now I have kids and it’s a, uh, different kind of happy. An utterly exhausting, sometimes frustrating, incredible happiness
Yep, kinda how I was in my 20's (F! that was a loooooong time ago).
All I wanted to do, was ride my street bike, go to the gym, party on Fri and Sat night. Then things changed and I grew up. Got married at 33, pre-made family, and then, the World spun in the opposite direction. Still, one of the best decisions I made.
Mac(y)

My gym is awesome. It’s owned by a Marine and he runs a very tight ship. It’s a private gym, just to get through the the door you have to make an appointment with the owner and if he does not like you he will not offer a membership. Anybody fucking around gets the boot. 75% of the members are Military, LEO, and Firefighters. Also they have more weight to push then normal gyms.