• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anybody have experience with a big bore AR?

prodigalson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Butler, PA
I'm contemplating buying an AR in 458 socom, 50 beowulf, or 450 bushmaster. Does anybody have first hand experience with one of these? So far my biggest problem is the lack of factory ammo AVAILABLE for any of the caliber. I can't seem to find any. Not that I wouldn't mind reloading. Just something I've noticed.

If I got to choose I'd go 50 beowulf since it has the most power, and its a must for a muzzle break, ammo I've only seen for sale at gun shows and its very expensive so unless you have huge pockets I'd recommend reloading.

Just finished my .50 beowulf build.....took awhile because I took a factory 16" upper from AA and swapped out the oversized GB to a low-pro GB made by Triton Arms (only maker of a .906 low pro GB to my knowledge), then was able to add my handguard of choice. I was able to find PLENTY of ammo by signing up for Notifications from both MidwayUSA and Cabelas, both of which get it regularly. I actually just got a notification a few days ago from MidwayUSA, but have already stock piled like 400-500 rounds that same way.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: Tirador
I used to have a .458 SOCOM upper. Same as above, I signed up for notifications from Midway and was able to get a fair amount of ammo over time. Ultimately the ammo is what made me get rid of it. $50 to $70 for 20rds was too much to handle. A day at the range cost me about $200 if I wanted to have any fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Been there, done that, and am still broke. :cool:

I built a .458 Socom a couple years ago using an RRA barrel. It was a cool rifle and funner than hell to shoot. Also expensive as hell to shoot and I reloaded for it! I bought 200 new cases and a crap load of bullets. It's easy to load for but man you go through the rounds with that thing because it was so fun. I'd go to the range, shoot all 200 and then reload them. I wore out the brass in two months then sold the rifle. :p

Inside 100 yards it is the absolute hammer of Thor. If you hit anything with it, it will die. Very accurate too with not nearly the recoil you would think. More of a thump impulse like a muzzle loader than sharp like a rifle. 100-150 you start to see some drop and it's still effective but past 200 you might as well throw rocks. The ballistic curve is like a rainbow.

Did I have fun with it. Hell yes. Do I miss it? No. Same as the Blackout. Cool to have, fun to shoot but no real world application unless your shooting supressed subsonics in a dangerous environment. As a CQB weapon it's probably unparalleled.

FWIW

I appreciate the input. I was planning On buying it for a novelty piece. To bring out to the range every now and again. Being that my pockets aren't that deep, I would hope to keep the round count down to maybe 800 rounds a year. I'm glad to hear everybody enjoyed theirs. I am torn between buying a complete rifle or just an RRA upper. Any suggestions.

I've got a 450 bushmaster, it's a carbine. I really wish it was so easy (inexpensive) to get a bolt gun to shot like it does. I actually think it is the most accurate gun I own. It will flatten most anything you shoot with it. I've thought about building a form 1 can for it, but doubt ill ever get the time. I think the 458 Socom would be better in that role due to better heavy bullets in the 458 caliber. If you're mainly shooting at the range the Bushmaster should do you well

i agree with SUIScide my .450 bushmaster just flat out shoots and it is like a lazer to about 150 yds! ammo was not hard to get hold of and it wasnt overly expensive like the other guys big bores. i wouldnt hesitate to shoot anything with it other than a charging "brownie" but moose elk and blackies would be no problem.

I plan to get a 458 socom at some point. More for novelty thing than practical use. Standard AR lower and you use standard AR mags. Ive heard the GI mags work the best while pmags work depending on the bullet type and length. So really i could use the same lower for 223/556, 300blk, and 458 socom if i wanted. And use the same mags for them all too.

I plan to reload only for when i get mine. I want to start casting as well to help since even lead 458 bullets are somewhat pricey. I have a 45-70 so hope to find something i can use in both :)