• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody read the Marine Times article on new Marine sniper MOS

I have 14 acres of woods behind my house.

Id love to set some ammo cans up out there and learn to be better with map and compass, general land nav.

Any sources for getting maps of areas in a useable scale for areas that generally are not mapped?

Can even get MGRS lines on the overlay, it's what I still use. They're top quality maps too.

The sniper is at the command of the Squad leader to act as over watch or scout as needed. It increases Squad by one, Air/Arty capable Comms is attached.

Sniper in this role requires a pretty responsible person. At times he will be assigned a fire team for security/scouting as needed.
-----
Part of the reason there are fewer is the "War on Toxic Masculinity" is making its mark.

These kids today will explain to you the history of the rainbow flag and everything is racist.
First Part:
You're describing an SDM, not a sniper. Snipers have a hard enough time selling themselves to shitty BN leadership, but this would take it to a whole new level. This would be a surefire way to kill SS retention for good.

Second Part:
The anti-toxic masculinity movement is just another name for [takes deep breath] "how about we stop being chest-pounding tools who have deep-rooted insecurities that lead to this behavior because when it comes down to it it is all talk and zero ability to perform as stated but this idea is hated because it insults the very weak and insecure individuals who blindly suffer from it." [exhales and realizes I should do more cardio] I get it though, change is bad. Adapt or die.

As for the "rainbow flag and everything is racist" comment, that is a gross generalization of our nation's youth that further drives the divide that hurts us as a whole.

As the older generation complains about the current youth, they seem to forget that they are the ones who raised them. They are the ones who laid the stones for their life's path. The actions and decisions of the elders as they aged over the years brought about changes in society, politics, and the economy. You cannot blame the youth for how they were raised or the world they came of age into. You blame the generation that raised them. If a generation is fucked up, then you can only lay the blame on the previous generation. The elders must accept the consequences of their decisions and actions and blame no one but themselves.

We look at the adults joining the military and we a different type of recruit. Rather than stop and think about what made them that way, we take the easy route and blame it on them.

any father that has a son 25 YO and the kid tells his friend that he doesn't like guns needs to get his ass beat in front of his son..

Marksmanship is not a normal skill or heck even going to the range.

The phone, computer and social media are easier for many to operate.

I went to the range last weekend, I asked a buddy if he wanted to meet at the range to shoot, he said yes and he would bring his son. (25 yrs old, very smart kid, just graduated college, Chemical Engineering).

Put a 1911 45 in the kids hand, told me "I don't like guns", I said why not, he could not give me a reason, by the end of the day the kid was asking for more ammo.

I looked at his dad and said what is wrong with you, he told me he had been trying to get his soon so shoot something since he was 11.

It is a different world.

any father that has a son 25 YO and the kid tells his friend that he doesn't like guns needs to get his ass beat in front of his son..
Perhaps that father and son spend their nights and weekends training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu...

Reactions: M8541Reaper
There's no doubt today's tech is changing today's youth. Same goes with processed foods and the rampant obesity problem in America. But with all that is out there today, I went through the same in the 70s and 80s growing up with a color tv, Atari and a Commodore 64 in the house, and I dropped way too many quarters in the arcade as well.

My father taught me how to spend the day moving sprinklers and disking/bush hogging fields as a teen, hauled many tons of hay by hand, and I was paid in .22 ammo and shot every damn ground squirrel I got a bead on because he was tired of them getting into the shop and scattering our seed. My grandfather taught me to fish as well as honor, my uncle taught me to hunt, and my step father (USMC as well) taught me the basics of marksmanship and how to stand up for others. My scout masters taught me a slew of other skills, and my mother and grandmothers taught me how a man should treat a woman instead of how a guy should treat a chick (which I was learning in school). My SDI taught me quitting isn't ever an option, my first squad leader taught me how to be a leader instead of a boss, and my first platoon commander taught me how to win battles.

All said, I turned out okay but not a single bit of it was from any one source and my own doing falls way down the list, I was nothing more than a willing student.

PM, you have your challenges with your boy, same as I do with my own (who's autistic to boot), just be glad you actually have him in your home so you can chip away every day at him. He'll get it eventually, I did.

Amendment - Platoon is increased by two - Sniper and trained spotter. 15 total.

Lol what Active duty squad actually has 12 guys in it? I don't think I served in a squad with more than 8 at a time and platoons numbering in the low 20ies usually. We held a house in Afghanistan with 23 including the lT and medic at one point.

Lol what Active duty squad actually has 12 guys in it? I don't think I served in a squad with more than 8 at a time and platoons numbering in the low 20ies usually. We held a house in Afghanistan with 23 including the lT and medic at one point.
Line platoons aren't all full TO/E on deployment?
tenor.gif

Reactions: ArmyJerry
Sometime after the Dolphins undefeated 72 team winning the super bowl. Don Shula was asked how he found so many winners so fast to build that team. He said he did not look for people who wanted to win (everyone wants to win). He looked for guys who hated to lose. Success in Elite groups comes from never quitting. To some men quitting is worse than pain or even death. JMHO

SAS used to assign extra duty to whoever would win sporting events and drop the guys that they could see throwing the games.

Line platoons aren't all full TO/E on deployment?
tenor.gif

F no. They want to appear as though on paper we have 7 ad infantry divisions and 1 armored div to the world but in reality if the whole shebang had to deploy tomorrow for the "big one" I would bet they could only field 4 at full strength. Wtf do you think the army line units deploy 1 year to a year and half per rotation? Not enough bodies to fill the number of needed top level units so when a brigade comes back, a ton of guys just get shuffled to the next brigade that's getting ready to go in 6 months. My last plt sgt had spent 7 years of his ten in service overseas.

F no. They want to appear as though on paper we have 7 ad infantry divisions and 1 armored div to the world but in reality if the whole shebang had to deploy tomorrow for the "big one" I would bet they could only field 4 at full strength. Wtf do you think the army line units deploy 1 year to a year and half per rotation? Not enough bodies to fill the number of needed top level units so when a brigade comes back, a ton of guys just get shuffled to the next brigade that's getting ready to go in 6 months. My last plt sgt had spent 7 years of his ten in service overseas.
Perhaps my sarcasm didn't come through well enough. I know very well full TO/E is a myth.

Mebbe I'm dating myself, but is LandNav that hard a skill to teach? I also remember the time before GPS. A map was all that was needed most times. A compass, maybe, when you were in a relatively flat, sparse featured area (cross section/re-section) or somewhere where brush was thick and horizon land marks were needed.

I mean, come on, it's ancient fucking technology (that doesn't break, require batteries, or get smoked by an EMP).

Do they not still teach this in boot camp?

Being that a child doesn't have to be an exact copy of the parents, and shouldn't be in order to be successful in life, why would it matter if it didn't like firearms? Adapting to your environment is how human progress moves forward. If we only liked the things that our parents liked and were unable to think on our own, we would have never of made it this long as a species. If my kid grows up and decides he wants nothing to do with firearms, then I welcome someone to try and beat my ass because they disagree with my child's interests. Who are we to dictate what people should and should not take interest in?

what the marines and army really NEED to do is form a few “crusty old bastard” battalions. prior service guys that aint about taking no shit. yeah, they wouldnt be real light and fleet. but drop them bastards off and let nature take it’s course.

the problem is, the old guys wouldnt take any shit, and the military runs on shit sammich eaters. but you want a problem solved, and some asses kicked, put some old fucks in place, keep hands off, and let the old guys do what they do. shit would get solved in record fucking time.

Reactions: TACC
I have 14 acres of woods behind my house.

Id love to set some ammo cans up out there and learn to be better with map and compass, general land nav.

Any sources for getting maps of areas in a useable scale for areas that generally are not mapped?
Looks like your in Mass ... not sure where, but there’s an excellent orienteering club up there (New England Orienteering Club: https://www.newenglandorienteering.org/events-schedule/this-years-events). You can really sharpen your skills ‘on the clock’, and see how the true master land nav geeks do it. Plus it’s a great way to visit cool parks.

10 years of orienteering before I enlisted really helped with land nav. Toss the lensatic and get a Russian (Mosscompass) or Swedish (Silva) thumb compass. Fast, light, and accurate in the woods is the way to go, and can be a lot of fun.

Reactions: pmclaine
I still use land nav from time to time. Shooting azimuths, intersections & resections might as well be Greek to most young people these days. A map & terrain association works well too. A GPS is more convenient than using a map, compass & protractor but by no means would I be lost if I didn’t have a GPS.

what the marines and army really NEED to do is form a few “crusty old bastard” battalions.

lol great idea, in theory. Reality would be a bunch of dudes sitting around taking about boot camp/basic training all day and then that would turn into a dick measuring contest over who's platoon or grad year had it harder. Hell, that happens with dudes who are in now and/or just got out. I stand by my belief that if you find yourself in a room where people are talking about boot camp, you're in the wrong room.

But your idea could work but would have to be done via a successful retention strategy. Make it to where people want to stay in and you'll retain knowledge and experience.

Reactions: myronman3
darwin will sort it out, its a sad form child abuse in my book. bad parenting

Being that a child doesn't have to be an exact copy of the parents, and shouldn't be in order to be successful in life, why would it matter if it didn't like firearms? Adapting to your environment is how human progress moves forward. If we only liked the things that our parents liked and were unable to think on our own, we would have never of made it this long as a species. If my kid grows up and decides he wants nothing to do with firearms, then I welcome someone to try and beat my ass because they disagree with my child's interests. Who are we to dictate what people should and should not take interest in?

• Haha
To add on to reaper, when guys start putting their resumes or talking about what they've done in the military on forums I start cringing hard. Gotta grab the ruler for the old hardcore dudes...

Running map and compass is on par with iron sights and eyeball range est. You have to stay sharp on the basics to excel with the advanced equipment. I picked up a new iron sight Henry last week, put one round into a rock to verify its hold, then shot two rock chucks. Not the smallest game, not the furthest shots (30 yards-ish), but did learn those 30gr TNTs are awesome varmint rounds and have 47 of them left in the box. It's a bit satisfying to leave the Annies at home and go old school with success.

Compass wise, I am rather fond of my old lensatic due to decades of experience with it. I use a Brunton 5006 at work for survey work, have taught many with the Silva Ranger/variations thereof and I have a few Suunto cheapies in the camping gear for the kids and my lady, but I still prefer a GI type Cammengea for personal field work when I want to shoot a resection or get a far distance navigation target to guide me. I recommend new navigators start with a basic north seeking compass and terrain associate onto more obvious targets (base of a finger, a draw, a lake, etc), then step into a sighting compass and advanced techniques like pace counts, dense veg, flat ground type navigating. There's awesome maps from USGS and everyone in the US have parks close enough to get started, even a phone's compass is not bad to get a start with.

Can even get MGRS lines on the overlay, it's what I still use. They're top quality maps too.

I printed out ne of those for a friends farm a few years ago when my son and I went out camping.

On the MyTopo website for my neighborhood I couldn't get a scale suitable for reading topo details.

That is a great site though.

Reactions: MarinePMI
First Part:
You're describing an SDM, not a sniper. Snipers have a hard enough time selling themselves to shitty BN leadership, but this would take it to a whole new level. This would be a surefire way to kill SS retention for good.

Second Part:
The anti-toxic masculinity movement is just another name for [takes deep breath] "how about we stop being chest-pounding tools who have deep-rooted insecurities that lead to this behavior because when it comes down to it it is all talk and zero ability to perform as stated but this idea is hated because it insults the very weak and insecure individuals who blindly suffer from it." [exhales and realizes I should do more cardio] I get it though, change is bad. Adapt or die.

As for the "rainbow flag and everything is racist" comment, that is a gross generalization of our nation's youth that further drives the divide that hurts us as a whole.

As the older generation complains about the current youth, they seem to forget that they are the ones who raised them. They are the ones who laid the stones for their life's path. The actions and decisions of the elders as they aged over the years brought about changes in society, politics, and the economy. You cannot blame the youth for how they were raised or the world they came of age into. You blame the generation that raised them. If a generation is fucked up, then you can only lay the blame on the previous generation. The elders must accept the consequences of their decisions and actions and blame no one but themselves.

We look at the adults joining the military and we a different type of recruit. Rather than stop and think about what made them that way, we take the easy route and blame it on them.

A lot has changed since 86-90 time frame and likely for the better.

Only M40s I ever saw were with STA guys and we rarely saw them.

I hope doctrine has gotten better but the lack of Sniper seem to be a hole in the ability fabric.

WWII snipers were more likely tasked with scouting and they were chosen for being more capable.

Still that seems not good use of the extended capability.

Vietnam came along and the snipers were pulled from a sniper platoon and attached to a rifle company/squad to conduct patrols. My understanding is you did overwatch and were tasked with high value targets - mortarmen, machine guns. Reality was not Carlos Hathcock lone wolves on solo NVA General hunting missions.

Snipers were so few it seems like patrols went without which is a shame.

DMR is a band aid solution but how much training did they get. Qualify high expert and you are good to go? Here is a rifle for you.

6 "long schooled" guys added to a platoon when things are tough finding people to make it through basic is a lot to ask but would it not be a good capability?

Our nations youth has been at war for 18 years. There is enough to do great things and they have been doing great things.

Problem is they are less than 1% of 1% and it is a crime to have the same few in all the services continually going in harms way.

These wars would have ended long ago had there been more "skin" in the game. Instead of Hollywood idiots spending great resources to get their lame kids into college I'd like to see them bullshit that Precious has a low draft number and they are demanding that their congress critter authorize a nuke to end the war now.

As for Rainbow flag and racist.

I'm in the basement right now. The conversation I hear in the kitchen between my son and wife is about a survey he took in school today.

He is a sixth grader.

He is telling her two questions concerned "Have you sniffed glue?" and "Have you engaged in sex?"

Sixth graders! This isn't a general health questionnaire as presented its subliminal messaging.

I've been to my kids schools. A US flag can be found if you look but the rainbow is in plain view everywhere.

Two weeks ago down in Florida my daughter was watching some show in which little kids cook shit and real Chefs judge them. I made the comment I wanted the kid wearing the bow tie to lose - he just seemed a kiss ass.

My daughter said "Kids in school would think that's racist because he is Chinese" I never said anything about his ethnicity but it was considered racist all the same. I don't doubt in another few years my daughter will turn me in for thought crimes.

I realize my AO is a liberal fucktard zoo but also realize my region is where the Communists plan to nurture their next generation and to recruit from. I envy you your normal region if you don't experience this shit.

I work with my kids and do as much re-education as they get during the day in school. My wife and I are only two people though responsible for our two kids. We are at all our kids sports and it's amazing to watch how little interaction other parents have with their kids at these events. Most of the parents live in the Communist agenda, proud of their Resist stickers applied with the care I attach a USMC roundel to my car.

You are absolutely right about kids being products of their parents to an extent.

The Greatest Generation begat the 60s generation who is at the heart of our countries greatest ills right now.

Let's blame the Greatest Generation for saving the world while spawning its ruination.

What has really changed is that these 60s fucks have taken over our education systems and now they churn out the indoctrinated SJW.

I cant express enough how much I value the education I got from grade school through a masters but I can tell you from experience a lot of teachers are not wanting to provide my good learning experience.

They are only there to program.

And you are right we "collectively" are at fault because we allowed the gov to do this shit.

It's not going to be a good night for me.....I'm going upstairs, get the kids to bed, than I'm going to get an earful about this "health survey", than I will toss and turn all night.

Last edited:
I think the difficulty getting qualified people to fill slots begins long before anyone enlists in the Marine Corps. A friend of mine is an instructor in high tech commercial welding at a school that gets VA schooling benefits.

Because the school gets VA payments, the school had a representative from the US Department of education come to visit. He told them that high school graduates enroll in school and are unable to do basic fractions, and many can't even read a ruler or tape measure. He was told that many trade schools are having similar difficulties because the school system just isn't teaching what many of us consider to be very basic schools. He said that many students can't even figure out how to solve a question asking something like: if they need one quarter pound of one brazing rod, and one third a pound of another type, how much total weight is brazing rod do they need? A welder not knowing how to read a ruler or tape measure would also be an issue...

The Marine Corps isn't receiving adequately educated high school graduates, so expecting those recruits to be able to figure angles, drop tables, reading mil scales for maps and optical devices would simply be beyond their capacity. The Marine Corps would have to do much of the mathematical educating that should have been completed in High School.

There's no doubt today's tech is changing today's youth. Same goes with processed foods and the rampant obesity problem in America. But with all that is out there today, I went through the same in the 70s and 80s growing up with a color tv, Atari and a Commodore 64 in the house, and I dropped way too many quarters in the arcade as well.

My father taught me how to spend the day moving sprinklers and disking/bush hogging fields as a teen, hauled many tons of hay by hand, and I was paid in .22 ammo and shot every damn ground squirrel I got a bead on because he was tired of them getting into the shop and scattering our seed. My grandfather taught me to fish as well as honor, my uncle taught me to hunt, and my step father (USMC as well) taught me the basics of marksmanship and how to stand up for others. My scout masters taught me a slew of other skills, and my mother and grandmothers taught me how a man should treat a woman instead of how a guy should treat a chick (which I was learning in school). My SDI taught me quitting isn't ever an option, my first squad leader taught me how to be a leader instead of a boss, and my first platoon commander taught me how to win battles.

All said, I turned out okay but not a single bit of it was from any one source and my own doing falls way down the list, I was nothing more than a willing student.

PM, you have your challenges with your boy, same as I do with my own (who's autistic to boot), just be glad you actually have him in your home so you can chip away every day at him. He'll get it eventually, I did.

When you played video games you generally did it in the mediate company of friends. I did.

Now kids put on headphones and think they are socializing when they talk over a connection.

No facial cues, no body gestures to get a read on their playmate. They are being induced with autism. They end up becoming mean to each other when they can't filter body signals to temper their ill consideration.

Yes the kids will turn out all right but it could be easier not having to fight a tide.

Great health class at work this week.

Learned something about "GMO".

I thought we modified nature to increase it s yield. Cut a DNA chain you get twice as much production.

Seems to be we modify cereal grains to make it more resistant to Roundup.

As weeds become resistant to Roundup farmers use more of it and in order to maintain yield you need to GMO your crop to be resistant to the added Roundup.

In turn our food contains more Roundup.

Starting to see where all the immuno messed up kids are coming from.

Last edited:

That's today.

Had one of my wife's friends say about her mil curious son considering his after high school life "I'm not going to let him waste his life in the military". My wife was pissed.

My Dragon platoon had a Corporal SL and 6 Dragon teams - Gunner and his A gunner. From there we were detached to a line company.

Must have been more guys seeking opportunity back than.

Had a kid in tears because he was being medically discharged for messed up knees. Crying he didn't want to go back to West Virginia and mine coal.

No need to these days.

Govt will pay hm to sit on the couch and collect SSDI.

Last edited:
the questions are projections,

No shit.

My wife just telling me sometimes I talk to forcefully about my ideas.

Yeah this shit makes me kind of heated, if it doesnt get you heated than you are part of the problem.

My wife aint happy she just cant envision the end result.

Not because she is dumb, she just wants to fool herself.

its a protective mechanism.

I think the difficulty getting qualified people to fill slots begins long before anyone enlists in the Marine Corps. A friend of mine is an instructor in high tech commercial welding at a school that gets VA schooling benefits.

Because the school gets VA payments, the school had a representative from the US Department of education come to visit. He told them that high school graduates enroll in school and are unable to do basic fractions, and many can't even read a ruler or tape measure. He was told that many trade schools are having similar difficulties because the school system just isn't teaching what many of us consider to be very basic schools. He said that many students can't even figure out how to solve a question asking something like: if they need one quarter pound of one brazing rod, and one third a pound of another type, how much total weight is brazing rod do they need? A welder not knowing how to read a ruler or tape measure would also be an issue...

The Marine Corps isn't receiving adequately educated high school graduates, so expecting those recruits to be able to figure angles, drop tables, reading mil scales for maps and optical devices would simply be beyond their capacity. The Marine Corps would have to do much of the mathematical educating that should have been completed in High School.

This is true unless the kid really wants to go for it on their own.

The schools dont seem to want to enforce a standard.

My son has had some illness over the last year.

I dont think he is where he needs to be.

If the school said he had to stay back I would understand.

It may also focus him to have that happen and have to watch his friends move on.

I see no intention of the school having him repeat a year.

the questions are projections,

You should see the sex questions - How many times a week, How many partners, same sex or any one of the alphabet......

I imagine some "groomer" is sitting at his desk fapping now getting intel on his quarry.

Sorry to shit up a thread but what I see is playing a role in the @Aaros143 dilemma in not filling slots.

Give it ten years you will have plenty signing up for gender reassignment and no one in the Infantry.

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC and ArmyJerry
To go even more off topic....

Keeping the questions in that "health survey" in mind.....

Im pretty confident these kids dont understand these topics.

My daughter is in 5th grade. she says there are girls in her class that "identify" as lesbian.

These kids have been introduced to these ideas in school, by their messed up parents or by the TV that seems to be populated by about 50 percent LBGTQ.

I doubt many parents have had a talk with their kid/students that took that quiz.

I took the tact that okay if we are going to go there we are going all the way there.

So when asked "What is asexual?" I gave the example of the Japanese chef/artist that considered himself asexual so he had his junk cut off, cooked it, and than fed it to people at a dinner party.

True story look it up.

This is where society is going.

MA just passed this "anti conversion" law....

Basically one of these kids goes into school tomorrow and identifies as "trans sexual" to a school nurse (mandatory reporter) the parents lose a say.

If its determined a medical issue the kid can begin "transitioning" against the objections of the parent.

Our AG filed suit today against the Feds because ICE filed charges against a judge that let a wanted illegal escape the court while ICE waited to pick him up.

When we had a gender bathroom bill and she was aksed what if a woman felt uncomfortable having a man come into the bathroom she answered "She can hold it"

How much you want to bet she is just itching to try a case where against the objections of the parents she will get a minor to have gender reassignment surgery?

A storm is coming and being unable to fill sniper slots is just part of the problem.

18 years killing the cream of the crop overseas.

Now I hear numbers like we lose dozen a day at home by their own hand.

The war isnt against Al Queda......

Im thinking its being fought in alliance with Al Queda and against good guys like @Aaros143 and @M8541Reaper

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a son who was a bit of a rowdy kid. Because he was more interested in girls and fighting than school, he had difficulties getting good grades. At a parent teacher conference a lazy teacher told my friend that she thought his son might have a learning disability. His response was to ask her if it was just as possible that she (the teacher) might have a teaching disability, because his son had already had intelligence testing done, and they knew he wasn't a dull kid.

A friend of mine has a son who was a bit of a rowdy kid. Because he was more interested in girls and fighting than school, he had difficulties getting good grades. At a parent teacher conference a lazy teacher told my friend that she thought his son might have a learning disability. His response was to ask her if it was just as possible that she (the teacher) might have a teaching disability, because his son had already had intelligence testing done, and they knew he wasn't a dull kid.

Its probably really bad for smart kids in the public schools.

I bet they chafe at the lack of challenge.

Easy to figure it would manifest in behavior issues.

But by basis of her position that teacher is smarter than everyone. Will do no good to school her.

The entirety of the "Times" publications are skewed left. Same goes with anything by Task and Purpose. Media is media these days.

On the bright side I got a copy of Leatherneck yesterday (yeah Im one of those Geeks)....

They actually had a recruiting ad in there that featured the Raiders Skull shoulder patch rather than the "Tousled Eagle" of MARSOC.

Wasnt too long ago the USMC thought the original Raider emblem "too scary" and only "just" acceptable overseas or out of public eye.

Sure Leathernecks editors will still apologize when someone gets butt hurt about a cartoon and double down argue an M14 was never shot on the range or in combat at 1000 yards but its a start.

Yep cover your ass accounting scams.

Happens with bodies as well as finance.

A politician says he is tough on defense and wants to reactivate a Division, build more ships.

Unfortunately shit gets shuffled looks good on paper politician gets to beat his chest.

Shame on our leadership for playing the game but if you want to wear stars you do as ordered....to include walking failure through Ranger school and pushing product out of Sniper School the good guys later have to deal with.

See Heraclites.

If we want to go that way bring back the draft.

The capability of really good units will be degraded but the on paper units will actually have bodies.

The elite will have skin in the game.

Society will benefit from a greater population that understands how voting, political policy and the survival of their kids intertwine.

Mebbe I'm dating myself, but is LandNav that hard a skill to teach? I also remember the time before GPS. A map was all that was needed most times. A compass, maybe, when you were in a relatively flat, sparse featured area (cross section/re-section) or somewhere where brush was thick and horizon land marks were needed.

I mean, come on, it's ancient fucking technology (that doesn't break, require batteries, or get smoked by an EMP).

Do they not still teach this in boot camp?

Its a skill that is perishable and after completing the MCI the knowledge goes stale quick through lack of use.

I get it and understand it but if you dont actually do it often you lose it.

Whats the terrain you are using the skills in?

Sure sit in the valley of 29 Palms with your map, identify three ridges carry on.

Get into the woods with limited horizon and more difficulty to define features you need to develope different skills.

i was still in the "Pace Counting" mode last time I did real land nav. That shit would fuck me up more than the compass as inevitably Id be past or short of the box not knowing which.

Now a days I tend to just walk in the woods and just reckon where I need to go and somehow get there.

Thats fine for small woods but Ill die under real wilderness conditions.

Im all for my kid going which ever way he chooses. He can even suck dicks if it makes him happy.

Thing is to some extent they get societal pressure denying or scaring them from some things.

Id rather they try something and decide they dont like it rather than determine its bad because its been predetermined so.

I dont care one way or the other about my kids and firearms use. I dont ask them to go to the range and its not like they could conveniently do so as thats a task I do after work on the ride home.

They do know anytime they want to satisfy any firearms curiosity Im available to do so but thats more of a safety issue curiosity having killed the cat.

Whats weird is how "gunned up" even violent "kill him" they can be talking over head sets while playing Fort Nite but if you say "Hey why dont we go to the range Saturday and Ill show you how to safely use an AR?" You may here "I dont like guns" in response.

My kid has shot an AR at 8-9 yoa and made hits on steel at 300 yards. He has tried it, dont matter if he never does again. Daughter actually likes bows and asks to attend the youth bow night at my club must be a Katniss thing.

what the marines and army really NEED to do is form a few “crusty old bastard” battalions. prior service guys that aint about taking no shit. yeah, they wouldnt be real light and fleet. but drop them bastards off and let nature take it’s course.

the problem is, the old guys wouldnt take any shit, and the military runs on shit sammich eaters. but you want a problem solved, and some asses kicked, put some old fucks in place, keep hands off, and let the old guys do what they do. shit would get solved in record fucking time.

They would die puffing wind with a huge stockpile of ammo but it would be heroism for the ages rivaling the Spartan 300.

Running map and compass is on par with iron sights and eyeball range est. You have to stay sharp on the basics to excel with the advanced equipment. I picked up a new iron sight Henry last week, put one round into a rock to verify its hold, then shot two rock chucks. Not the smallest game, not the furthest shots (30 yards-ish), but did learn those 30gr TNTs are awesome varmint rounds and have 47 of them left in the box. It's a bit satisfying to leave the Annies at home and go old school with success.

Compass wise, I am rather fond of my old lensatic due to decades of experience with it. I use a Brunton 5006 at work for survey work, have taught many with the Silva Ranger/variations thereof and I have a few Suunto cheapies in the camping gear for the kids and my lady, but I still prefer a GI type Cammengea for personal field work when I want to shoot a resection or get a far distance navigation target to guide me. I recommend new navigators start with a basic north seeking compass and terrain associate onto more obvious targets (base of a finger, a draw, a lake, etc), then step into a sighting compass and advanced techniques like pace counts, dense veg, flat ground type navigating. There's awesome maps from USGS and everyone in the US have parks close enough to get started, even a phone's compass is not bad to get a start with.

This weekend.

You havent shot young eyes sights until you have shot an '03 peep or maybe a fucked up Mauser tiny notch, pointy front sight ...

nothung.jpg

nothung3.jpg

nothungfirst10.jpg

nothungslowfire.jpg

Last edited:
Ill stop for a while....

I think this is a case of when the loudest guy yelling wont shut up if everyone else goes quiet he will stop.

Im back......

Finally read the article @sandwarrior posted.

Neller thinks the HK M38 issue is going to fulfill the roll of trained snipers. It is the bow not the indian.

ANYONE HERE BUYING THAT?

My dislike for him goes back to a few specific dumb ass things he did in the presence of Marines.

Obama appointees still hurting the country.