• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody recognize this powder thrower?

bjordan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2010
Siler City, NC
I bought a group of reloading equipment sight unseen, I really just bought it all for the scale and it was a killer price. Package arrived today with everything and this powder thrower was in it. It doesn't have any marking on it and it has a metal lid so it makes me think it's old. Any help figuring it out and figuring out if it's any good or not will be greatly appreciated.
DSC09706.jpg

DSC09705.jpg

Re: Anybody recognize this powder thrower?

I know a way to find out if it's any good or not. Get a drop tube and try the thing out.
grin.gif

Thanks for th help, looks like it is a Lyman 55

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a way to find out if it's any good or not. Get a drop tube and try the thing out.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I didn't mean if this exact one was any good or not, I meant if the Lyman 55's were any good or not.

Needs a baffle. Ive got the same thrower and its never let me down.

IMHO, a baffle doesn't help. But, what do I know? Works really well for me with flake type powders. Bullseye, Blue Dot...etc.

Due to the size of the hopper it looks as if it's main use was throwing pistol charges. Most powder throwers will handle the small spherical and flake powders extremely well.

Yep, old lyman, use one for years. Did a good job and your right, not much capacity but it worked fine. Not sure the little tapper wasn't a good idea!

Back about 4 years ago the folks at Sinclair sat down, 6 of them around a table, and discussed measures and throwing techniques. They decided to devise a test. Each documented their method of throwing.

The group of measures went home with person #1. They tested all the measures with the different methods as well as different powders and recorded their results. The next person did the same.

They analyzed all the data when done. The summary of their results is this -

- which measure used is not as important as which technique was used

- "knocking" techniques produced the least consistent results

- a slow, deliberate movement of the lever with no hard contact on either end of the stroke produced the most consistent results regardless of the measure used

I bought the RFD, the measure that consistently did well in their testing, and tested it alongside my RCBS Uniflow and my Lee Perfect using RL15, Varget, and VV N140. Here were my conclusions:

- the Uniflow produced the best results I had ever seen out of it with the slow no knock lever movement; way better than the "double knock at the top" technique I had been using before

- The Lee produced good results, but would throw a majorly light or heavy load about once every 10-20 throws, regardless of technique used

- The RFD would throw poorly when using my "double knock" technique, but very well using the slow and smooth techinique

- Varget was the least consistent throwing powder of the 3, with VV N140 producing the best throws overall with RL15 doing some OUTSTANDING throw strings as well

- the Uniflow, while much better (and quite acceptable) with the revised technique, was still bested by the RFD

In other words, don't use the built-in knocker on your 55
smile.gif

Precision Shooting had an article that concluded the same thing. They recommended the cheap Lee Perfect for big, grainy powders (Varget, 4064) with final trickling.

The Lyman 55 is a good thrower. The one you have is old and might need a good cleaning to function well.

I still use my 55 all the time. For precision, I throw and trickle. For pistol loading, I just throw and go. The only draw back is powder capacity but that just means you have to add powder more often. No big deal. It will hold 50+ charges of Varget for .308. And 9H is right, forget the knocker.

Lyman used to sell a larger hopper, it's about 10" long.
I don't know if they still make one, but you can get a piece of, I believe is Lexan from some plastic producers that will fit. It's just wedged in.
Borg