• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody using Wolf small rifle primers?

jbaldwin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
New Bern ,NC
I can get my hands on a few and was wondering if anybody was using in a AR or bolt gun. Mainly a AR 15.

Re: Anybody using Wolf small rifle primers?

I use the Wolf small rifle magnum primers for my AR. The cups on the magnum version are harder.

Yes..Small Rifle MAgnums in my 6x47Lapua bolt gun. +1 The cups on the magnums are harder.

JeffVN

I've gone through a couple thousand and they seem perfectly fine.

I have like 4500+ of the Small Magnums if anyone wants them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Six Five Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are ok if you like a hang-fire once in a while. </div></div>

2300 down the pipe so far across 3 different calibers and never a single hang fire for me, what kind of "once in a while" are you talking about?

Ive got about 3k of these down the pipe as well in various AR's and not one problem. Im running the small rifle magnums.

They are G2G in my book.

Just loaded some more up last night, they've worked good so far with a couple thousand down in my AR.

I loaded about 5k last year. Performance was slightly better than BR4s. No hangfires or misfires here.

I have shot about 2,500 of them in the last 6 months and I am switching all my loads over to Wolfs. The one thing you have to make sure you do with them is to seat them hard. I now use a K&M priming tool and it works great. I broke a couple of Lee priming tools on the Wolfs before switching to the K&M. The K&M will get the primers seated deep and it has a great feel to it, you know when the primers are seated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Performance was slightly better than BR4s. No hangfires or misfires here. </div></div>

This kind of performance is what I've experienced as well.

Been ruinning them in all of my AR's for across the course matches, even in the 600 75 grain A-max loads. Not a single problem. I use the Small mags for the same reason harder cup for the AR firing pin bounce.

For the money and especially when you couldn't get the usual USA fodder it was worht the gamble.

Never had a problem with mine. Probably 1k down the pipe.

I loaded up a hundred up the other day and experienced a couple of hangfires. Suprising thing is that I have used the same primer and same load before and not a problem in my AR.

I tried to used LRM on my WSM and they would hangfire. I have moved to CCI250s since then with no problems. I was thinking the WSM powder charge might be too much to ignite for Wolf.

For AR use the 223 or Small Rifle Magnums, diff label same hardness for AR use. Several thousand through the AR and other bolt actions without issue.

As for hangfire or FTF. The primer cups are slightly larger and seat more firmly. You have to be careful when seating initially otherwise you can crush the cap and anvil, and no boom are the results.

Thanks guys. I think I'll go ahead and get a few thousand and try'em.