• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone build a tactical rifle with a Kimber action

hwgunner

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2014
Why or why not. Any pictures. Not Factory rifles. Just custom. I have an 84 Montana I was thinking of selling or using for a custom build.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I don't own one but Iam not opposed to owning one, just always thought it was one of those rifles you don't have to do a lot of work to.some are pretty pricey.i own lots of kimber 45 and they have never let me down.now I don't know what just building off there action involves and maybe there's a reason there never mentioned here.but now Iam curious.

There tac rifles are alright, but for the price I've heard they were hit or miss on accuracy (no pun intended). For what it's worth though, I never fired one more than function testing. I have heard good things about their mountain rifles though. A good friend of mine has taken more big game with his 84M (.308) than any other rifle in his stable, and he swears by it. If you look at the Kimber action itself, it would seem like a recipe for a fine custom rifle build. Shroud safety, pre-'64 winnie style claw extractor, flat bottom action....... the more I think about it the more curious it makes me. I too am curious to see if anyone has customed one out.

I should be picking mine up from my smith this weekend. The action is around 20 years old and maid in the Oregon plant. It is their single shot version FYI. I'm not sure how much diffrent it is than the new actions (action was given to me as a gift from an old friend)
I will try and remember to post pics when I get it.I went with a Boyd's tacticool stock (used the rem 700 blind mag model varmint barrel contour stock) We had to do some modification to stock but Richard was up for the challenge. (84 action is skinnyer than a 700 and action screws didn't line up perfectly) The one surprise that my smith discovered was fitting the barrel. He told me had to cut it like A model 70 using a cone instead of chambering it like a rem700 FYI. (Hope I'm explaining right,still pretty new at this) My gun Is a 223ai, muller works varmint barrell 24'' 1-8 twist. Designed to shoot the 75 amax.

I've wondered this myself. I have never been behind a custom high end rifle, but to this date the smoothest action I have ever felt was on a Kimber 8400 Advanced Tactical.

Kimber has the advanced tactical line, using mcmillan stocks. However, these use the 8400 action iirc. The 84 action is great for what it is, but it is small in diameter for weight savings- a feature that doesn't lend itself as well to heavier barrels found on tac rifles.

What caliber is your Montana? I could be interested should you be looking to sell.

I didn't think about the fact that the 8400 is bigger than the 84. As for the factory tactical rifle I was really thinking about customs built by others and I have also heard about accuracy being hit or miss. Just want to see what others have done with the 84.

Kimber has the advanced tactical line, using mcmillan stocks. However, these use the 8400 action iirc. The 84 action is great for what it is, but it is small in diameter for weight savings- a feature that doesn't lend itself as well to heavier barrels found on tac rifles.

What caliber is your Montana? I could be interested should you be looking to sell.

The Kimber is 7mm08. It has a cheap Zeiss on it now. Always shoots to point of aim and is more accurate than I am for 3 shots in quick succession. Any more and it starts to string but that is due to the pencil barrel. For sale?? I actually have it up right now but am having second thoughts. I wish it had a faster twist barrel. If it did I would not have it up for sale. It is 1 in 12. I f it was 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 even and could sling heavy bullets It would be a much nicer rifle for the way I like to do things.

it is a nice hunting rifle action and a bit on the light side for tactical build.
cheers.

I think the biggest issue will be if you want the action trued most smiths won't have the fixtures. Everyone has Remington 700 jigs.

The Kimber is 7mm08. It has a cheap Zeiss on it now. Always shoots to point of aim and is more accurate than I am for 3 shots in quick succession. Any more and it starts to string but that is due to the pencil barrel. For sale?? I actually have it up right now but am having second thoughts. I wish it had a faster twist barrel. If it did I would not have it up for sale. It is 1 in 12. I f it was 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 even and could sling heavy bullets It would be a much nicer rifle for the way I like to do things.

Is it listed in the classifieds here?

Not sure what your intended use is, but I saw my dad run a Montana (pretty sure it was an 84 - whatever the super light version is) in a practical rifle course, and when the gun heated up, the action got so tight he (big strong guy) could barely work the action. He sold it and bought a model 70 shortly thereafter and has never looked back. Awesome rifle for what it is, but there are a lot of actions I would want in my hands before one of those in a tactical situation. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk