• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone do OCW test at further than 100 yards?

SWThomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Fort Lee, VA
I'm going to conduct an OCW test this weekend for my new bolt rifle. I was wondering if there would be any advantage to doing it at say 200 or 300 yards? It seems like you could get a better handle on the longer range accuracy of a load and also allow the bullet some more distance to stabilize.

What say you?

Most people do them farther than 100 yards. I rarely see one inside 200 for that matter. Lots go out to 4,5, or 600 yards pending caliber.

OCW at 100Y

Ladder at 300-400Y in .1 grain increments will tell you everything you need to know in 20 shots or less. You must pick a calm day and let the barrel cool after each shot so results are uniform.

The last one I did with my AR in 223 with 70 gr vld and H-4895 netted a load in 12 shots showing 3 consecutive shots into 1.2" wide by .6" tall.

OCW at 100Y

Ladder at 300-400Y in .1 grain increments will tell you everything you need to know in 20 shots or less. You must pick a calm day and let the barrel cool after each shot so results are uniform.

The last one I did with my AR in 223 with 70 gr vld and H-4895 netted a load in 12 shots showing 3 consecutive shots into 1.2" wide by .6" tall.

So if you did a ladder in .1 grain increments and only fired 12 shots, you found "the load" in only 1.2 grains?

I'm going to conduct an OCW test this weekend for my new bolt rifle. I was wondering if there would be any advantage to doing it at say 200 or 300 yards? It seems like you could get a better handle on the longer range accuracy of a load and also allow the bullet some more distance to stabilize.

What say you?

I do the initial at 100 and once I narrow down my node I move out to 2 to 3 hundred yards. Then I do a seat depth test...

I recently had to switch to a different load (.308 LC LR 178 A-Max & 4064), my Savage (tight chamber) was over pressure
with the 185 Bergers. Not to mention a case head separation. No more .308 Win Mag Loads for me...

So I narrowed it down to a charge, then Dan told me to run it out to 900, and check for vertical dispersion.
So we did, and the vertical was very consistent at that distance.

I jokingly said to him "who does an OCW test @ 900", his reply, "we just did". :D

There is merit to testing/confirming at longer ranges (if you can), as the deviations show up more readily.

So if you did a ladder in .1 grain increments and only fired 12 shots, you found "the load" in only 1.2 grains?

Absolutely correct concerning the powder charge!

Next trip out I used the middle charge of those 3 consecutive shots. Here's a pic of the steel. Top 3 shots were 285Y - far left was cold bore, middle three at 400Y, last four at 589Y. It was very windy thus the wide horizontal. I was aiming 4-5 feet left to hit that steel at 589Y. Note how tight the vertical is though.

Yes I could have stopped with load development right then but I experimented with seating depth with 3 more 5 shot groups at different depths at 100Y on the next outing. 2 of those three groups had 4 shots touching but one group was .4" with 4 into the high .1's. The AR only has a 15" barrel and I will rarely be shooting it at 600Y so I'm done now.

I also did this same method with my 6x47L barrel. The upper node was 5 consecutive shots into .9" at 400Y. I picked the middle charge and did not change the seating depth. Then went on to win more than a few matches with that load.

I recently had to switch to a different load (.308 LC LR 178 A-Max & 4064), my Savage (tight chamber) was over pressure
with the 185 Bergers. Not to mention a case head separation. No more .308 Win Mag Loads for me...

So I narrowed it down to a charge, then Dan told me to run it out to 900, and check for vertical dispersion.
So we did, and the vertical was very consistent at that distance.

I jokingly said to him "who does an OCW test @ 900", his reply, "we just did". :D

There is merit to testing/confirming at longer ranges (if you can), as the deviations show up more readily.

But the initial testing was done at 100, correct? Then confirmed at longer range?

But the initial testing was done at 100, correct? Then confirmed at longer range?

I had previously done some testing at the next higher node, but they still showed pressure signs (this was done @ 100).
I then loaded 3% down to the next node for this trip, fired a few @ 100 to re-zero, and then on
to 900.

Dan has an extensive mental database of charge weights/calibers, so get in touch with him if you can. :cool:

Thanks for the info gents! I think I'll shoot an OCW first and then do a ladder to confirm and see what my results tell me.

Thanks for the info gents! I think I'll shoot an OCW first and then do a ladder to confirm and see what my results tell me.

Do the OCW and the move out to at least 300 and do another Ocw test.