• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Anyone else Carry Religously at Home?

I carry all day. Every day. The doorbell rings? I don’t have to wonder where it is. The holster and sidearm go on the nightstand, and the night sights glow brightly to be seen in the pitch black whenever I open my eyes.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
My wife thought i was crazy until we had an attempted burglary...her opinion changed pretty quickly! Luckily I only had to turn in the lights to scare them off

Leaving guns around the house where they can be quickly retrieved isn't an issue when there are only two people living here. Both of us know where they are.

People who are rude enough to show up unexpectedly, shouldn't be surprised nor offended when they are asked to wait outside until the house can be made "presentable" (ie guns pick up and put in a vaunt).

There are many small, light, easily carried pistols (S&W model 296 for example, or a Charter arms 44 spcl) that can be dropped in the pocket of sweat pants or a bathrobe. There are plenty of "full sized" firearms within arms reach most everywhere in the house.

Not paranoid at all just prepared. Property protected 24/7 with wireless audio/video recorded surveillance. And if you come dickin around here you could be shot with a variety of ammo to include Hornady 5.56 75gr TAP (T2). FederalTactical Bonded 5.56 62gr TBBC (T3). Or maybe your criminal ass might be staring at the end of a 12 ga pump loaded up with 3” Mag 00 buck shouldered by my wife who will shoot your ass quicker than I will! Or maybe the Good Lord will smile on you and my Rhodesian Ridgebacks (Crockett & Tubbs) will rip your nuts off before I can double tap your sorry asses. Come get some! Stay strapped up even at home.

Reactions: gigamortis
Holy shit OP, that's a crazy story.

I don't stay armed, the chances are so small that I personally don't feel the need to. I know it only takes one time, and I do have loaded firearms in the house. I I00% respect the right to carry firearms, and glad people practice that right. It's such a small chance that I personally choose not to be encumbered by a firearm at all times.

In the vast majority of situations where one may need to use a firearm to protect themselves at home, the correct dog with the correct training is going to be multitudes better then having a firearm at your side. If I was concerned for my safety at home, that's the route I would go.

When I was 10 years old we lived way out in the country where everyone has 20+ acres and a hobby farm. Mom and I came home one day and heard a back window break. We curiously walked to the master bedroom and I saw a guy looking at me as he was going out the window. He had a look that I understood was a question if he should stay and hurt us or flee. Luckily he fled. However, I lost my childhood innocence of feeling safe at home that day. He took everything my parents worked 3 jobs to provide for me and my sister...he even stole my piggy bank with my hard earned grass cutting money. They later found two guys, arrested, and sentenced...but only after they hurt someone else.

Fast forward to when I was 21. I was away. I get a phone call that said, "Come home, your sister is ok...but her best friend has been murdered". Took me 12 hours to get there. They were at a home in the country and some guy going door to door accepting donations for charity. He raped my sisters best friend and killed her while my sister was out getting them lunch. My sister came back to a horror show. I held my sister for 3 days before she went from crying to being angry. Her innocence was lost forever that day. That was almost 30 years ago...and as I type this I'm almost in tears remembering.

Even when we live in Mayberry...we aren't as safe as we would like to believe. I've been cut...I've been shot at...and I have made mistakes...I've done good and I've done wrong...but I'll be damned if anyone comes into my home with ill intentions..and walks out.

I always have my 340PD close, usually the G27 is next to the bed and a short carbine handy.

But if I'm expecting:

IMG_0881.JPG

PS, it conceals well...

I carry a revolver and yes it is always with me . It’s getting a bit worn looking , but it always works , never fails and no brass to pickup .

The orange angels with blood products on board are saving lives.

God bless those who work on them.

And hell yes, carry always, anywhere you can.
How you gonna feel, dying, and your last thought is “well, I thought I was safe here”.
I have a Queen and 3 kids to protect. No matter what. Always.

Cant imagine not being ready and anything happens to one of them.

“Buy more ammo!” @ArmyJerry

something happens to my wife or kids, it’s gonna go down like all three John wick movies rolled into one!

Always armed. Then again I'm always on my ranch. I bet I average at least one critter kill (skunk/possum/armadillo/coon) per week with my pistol. Sometimes I luck out and get a hog or recently a bobcat.

Always have a gun in the truck. Always have a couple at the house ready to go. I'm not worried about marauders per se. However I'm always finding something that needs killing. If it becomes marauders someday, then I guess I can branch out.

My pistol stays on my hip when I'm in the house too. Not because of fear...but because I'm too lazy to take it off.

Easier to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
This.

And honestly, I can use the dry fire practice ?

I heard a "sophisticated" way of saying it, hoping someone here can fix it for me or figured out who said it...

"I certainly don't aspire to violence, but I would be remiss in my duties if I were not prepared for it"

Reactions: yakstone
A sidearm is part of my normal dress. Having an effective means of self defense is no different than having a fire extinguisher in the kitchen or wearing a seat belt in a vehicle. We all hope we never have to use them for their intended purposes.

It's not paranoia. It's about being prepared.

I do not carry too often, but reading these posts makes me want to make a more concerted effort to. Too many crazy people these days, you never know what scenario you might find yourself in.

As I sit in my den - reading these posts on the hide - I am still carrying. BBQing on the patio or answering the front door or taking the garbage out.....still carrying.

Yes, and I never answer the door without one. BUT, there are times when I'm not, there's always one available to me or the wife, in 90% of our living spaces. Mac

Some of my friends think I'm paranoid carrying when doing yard work. I just told him that I have long since adapted to carrying a pistol like i carry a pocket knife, wallet, flashlight, or keys.

It's just something that I dress with and carry all day as EDC. Like a pen or DL.

VooDoo

Reactions: yakstone
I live in NJ. Virtually impossible to get a carry permit. If someone spotted a gun on me while doing yard work, there'd be a SWAT team pulling up in front of my house within 5 minutes (no joke). I've never carried in my home, but do keep a loaded 1911 in my bedroom.

Fortunately, I live in a pretty safe town, statistically speaking. I'm not aware of any violent break-ins or home invasions in my neighborhood and I've lived here for 33 years. I always answer the door without knowing who's there. But after reading some of the stories in this thread, I'm thinking I might be a bit too complacent.

I'm not religious, but I do wear a mariners cross (it's a Navy thing).
1581600608705.png

FWIW, we just had this happen here:

Weapons don't do any good if you can't access them quickly enough. By quickly enough, I mean within arm's reach. The easiest way to always have something within arms reach is having it on your person. Having one on your person is far easier than staging a firearm in every bathroom, chair, by every door, at the kitchen sink and at the refrigerator, etc etc.
I wish I could convince my wife of this fact. I got her a gun, but she keeps it locked in the safe unless I'm out of town. ?

I depend on my perimeter to give me some time and warning plus German Shepard’s who are very touchy. I never answer the door without checking the cameras to see what’s happening around my house before hand. I’ve always got a knife, there are guns close no matter where I am in the house. My wife moves her preferred around with her as she does things, she keeps it close. She’s sitting at the desk, it will be on the desk. She’s doing dishes, it’s near on the counter some where.

Last edited:
We have two dogs a Pit and Pit boxer mix so I know if any one is at the door before the knock or ring the door bell. I also have a small window that you can't see in but i can see you. Second I have steel security doors so they can't kick in the doors. I always have 2 weapons available that I can reach if needed. This has been the same for the last 7 years. We also have good neighbors who work varied shifts so someone is always around and we all have each others cells. Not perfect but works for me.