• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bear Spray Advice

Faronth

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2019
Southern Arizona
Looking for practical advice on the use of Bear Spray or similar device.

My wife was out walking the dog a few days ago and ran into the resident herd of javilina. Luckily the dog alerted her before she walked into the middle of them. It appears some misinformed idiot(s) is feeding or watering them, so this particular herd has taken up residence in the middle of a ~4,500 home residential neighborhood. They are bedding down against homes, tearing up landscaping, trash cans ect...

Fish and Game says don't worry they won’t bother anyone. Bullshit you should see the vet bills if they get into it with a dog. Heaven forbid a small kid who does not know any better. And no fish and game won’t remove them, they say they have a right to be there. I have come home around 6 after work and walked to the post office box at the end of the short drive way, walked around to the passenger side of my truck to pull my pack out, looked up and a javilina is standing 10’ between me and the fortunately still closed garage door.

Long story shot my wife asked me to get her some bear spray to use in case she gets in trouble with them. I have zero experience with Bear Spray. Can anyone who does please recommend a small easy to carry device that would work well? Should I be looking at something else? Offered her a .380 but she has no desire to deal with a firearm plus as previously mentioned it is in the middle of 4500 homes.

Not sure where this kind of question fits in on forums so... Bear Pit. If not appropriate, Mod please move it to somewhere better.

bend over and spray your self that might help might help if it don't find the smell and taste appealing .

45 ACP solves lots of problems but antifreeze is quieter.

Reactions: RTH1800
Bear spray is a commie plot, Smith and Herrera, the two lead authors on "THE" study regarding spray are Fauci level of fraud trash.

Read their studies, see the bias, recognize that just for starters over 60% of the bears in the bear spray "study" were non-aggressive, whereas that was true for 0% of the bears in their firearm "study." Won't release their data, used instances against guns where the guns weren't even used but did not do the same regarding spray in their spray "study," on and on and on.

Plus, you don't get "small" bear spray canisters.

Stuff will work great on worthless hippies and the homeless that are non-aggressive and sober, it's actually a bear attractant which is why they tell you to leave the area if you discharge it and remind the retarded not to spray it around camp "preemptively."

Anyways... move

Or buy some Mastiffs and let them have some fun

Sounds like the rulers in that area would likely arrest you for messing with bear spray on their precious stink-pigs anyway, as they've declared them harmless and therefore you surely can't be using it in self-defense.

Another option may be a cattle prod

I've been within 10 feet of Javelina plenty of times.
Never seen an aggressive one.
They are damn near as blind as a bat (w/o sonar) and if you stand very still with the wind blowing the right direction they will nearly walk right into you.
1 sharp clap of the hands and they will GTFO like right now.
Nizzle, please.

BTW, they do not have tusks like a wild hog.
They do stink to high heaven though....they are also known as "stink pigs" but they are not a pig/hog and if I remember right they are closest related to a rat or rodent....or some shit like that.

45 ACP solves lots of problems but antifreeze is quieter.
I know for a fact what a .45 230gr Hydroshock does to a javilina and you are 100% correct it does solve the problem. However I have never shot one in a crowded residential area. If I did I would need a lawyer. Like that antifreeze idea though.

Reactions: Maggot
I've been within 10 feet of Javelina plenty of times.
Never seen an aggressive one.
They are damn near as blind as a bat (w/o sonar) and if you stand very still with the wind blowing the right direction they will nearly walk right into you.
1 sharp clap of the hands and they will GTFO like right now.
Nizzle, please.
You are mostly correct. They are blind as a bat and will generally run off unless little ones are around or they get backed into a corner or somewhere they feel they can't run. Then they can get very nasty. These are fairly brazen for pigs and little ones are present in the herd. Its not that I am unfamiliar with them. I have hunted them for years. If I lived in a less crowded area I would followed the tried and true, shoot, shovel and shut up method a long time ago.

Was just looking for a less then lethal method to run them off for my wife to use.

Plan on getting some over spray, no matter which way the wind is blowing. It will also stop a fist fight in .5 seconds. 😁 That’s been my experience, at least.

Antifreeze?

Some of you guys are going to come onto a forum to share ideas of how to illegally kill animals?...let alone with zero apparent understanding or regard that you would also be poisoning non-target animals in the process.

Do yourselves and us a solid, and leave the shit that will get us shut down - out of the threads. I understand that this is the 'Pit, and we frequently welcome autism with glorious memes and jokes...but your opinions that will 100% result in getting to stand before a judge are going to cause more harm than good here.

OP: I'd double-check the fish and game regs about trapping and getting them removed by a private individual (may or mat not need a license). I understand that the F&G department isn't going to help...but if it is legal to bait and trap, there's probably a few dudes in the state willing to help for next-to-nothing or free.

Definitely start carrying when you're out and about IAW local laws. Those little javilinas can cause some serious damage.

OP, If you go the bear spray route, be sure to buy a couple extra cans. Take whoever is carrying the stuff and go deploy a can. That way everyone understands what to expect. Range, aiming, overspray, how the trigger works, etc. It’s best not to learn in the moment. I would personally choose to use hot pepper spray instead of bear spray, it’s stronger, comes in smaller cans, and you don’t really need the added range of bear spray. That Fox stuff is 5M Scoville units, that javalina won’t know what family he’s in either if you hit him with that.

Antifreeze?

Some of you guys are going to come onto a forum to share ideas of how to illegally kill animals?...let alone with zero apparent understanding or regard that you would also be poisoning non-target animals in the process.

Do yourselves and us a solid, and leave the shit that will get us shut down - out of the threads. I understand that this is the 'Pit, and we frequently welcome autism with glorious memes and jokes...but your opinions that will 100% result in getting to stand before a judge are going to cause more harm than good here.

OP: I'd double-check the fish and game regs about trapping and getting them removed by a private individual (may or mat not need a license). I understand that the F&G department isn't going to help...but if it is legal to bait and trap, there's probably a few dudes in the state willing to help for next-to-nothing or free.

Definitely start carrying when you're out and about IAW local laws. Those little javilinas can cause some serious damage.
To be sure I have no intention of setting out poison or traps of any kind. My response regarding antifreeze were along the lines of sarcasm. Remember the part where I said I live in a fairly dense residential area with lots of kids, pets, people of all kinds. Nuff said on that. it is frustrating the the people we pay to manage wildlife refuse to do anything about their presence or the people who are likely feeding them in some misguided attempt to help the herd??

I have been carrying (legally) for decades however my wife has no intention of ever doing so. This thread was really just about what I said. Looking for input from people who had experience with bear spray or pepper spray and if it was a practical application given the circumstances.

Antifreeze?

Tell me you're a pathetic lefty w/o actually saying it. I guess you believe a rape victim should just "lay back and enjoy it" instead of shooting her attacker?

OP, If you go the bear spray route, be sure to buy a couple extra cans. Take whoever is carrying the stuff and go deploy a can. That way everyone understands what to expect. Range, aiming, overspray, how the trigger works, etc. It’s best not to learn in the moment. I would personally choose to use hot pepper spray instead of bear spray, it’s stronger, comes in smaller cans, and you don’t really need the added range of bear spray. That Fox stuff is 5M Scoville units, that javalina won’t know what family he’s in either if you hit him with that.
Many animals are immune to the effects of hot peppers.
I have no idea if javelinas are, but give a dog a hot pepper, no effect at all.
No I'm not like that, but I had a dog get into my hot pepper plants and he could have cared less, he ate it like it was grass.

The nice thing about bear spray is the range. It has some reach, 20 to 30 feet as long as the wind isn't blowing in your face. When you test spray, or spray for realz, pay attention to the wind direction, and if you realize the wind shifted and is blowing some back in your face, don't run through the cloud you just made with your kid you were just showing how to use the bear spray.

The major plus is that you get much more volume, and range with bear spray cans.

Branden

Reactions: thejeep
You know what I found when you use bear spray/mace/etc? You always end up getting a little of it too, or a lot of it pending the situation (wind being one of them)

I’ve seen grown ass men take a hit of MK9 and eat it and keep going.

Y’all can have it.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Blow up animal control’s number on every sighting. Make it their problem, it’s what your over priced property taxes are for.
Animal control here only deals with domestic animals. Parks and Wildlife will lend a guy a small animal trap though but that is all.

Get about 40 cans of bear spray. Run around the neighborhood hosing down every group of javelina you can find. Have your wife walk around with little dab behind her ear so they smell her coming. 🤣🤣🤣

I have both seen dogs that love hot peppers and dogs sprayed with whatever the cops carry with very diffrent reactions. My dog loved hot peppers. Start roasting chillis he would be begging.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
are javelina a game species with a season? If not, sounds like a good opportunity for target practice with a bow/crossbow in the backyard

I have black bears in my OA. Never had to use the spray but did drop a can in the gravel driveway which punctuated the can and sprayed my legs and a small whiff made it to my face. I definitely would not want a face full of this and I doubt your little friends will either. This is advertised to shoot out 35 feet.
DD54E9A2-980C-4228-B552-7696A855E1E4.jpeg

Reactions: Faronth