• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone else ever do business with Vortex's service department?

I bet the win mag rattles that next scope apart also. Don't even put it on that gun.
The fact that you've chased this issue for 2 years tells me more than enough.

I bet the win mag rattles that next scope apart also. Don't even put it on that gun.
The fact that you've chased this issue for 2 years tells me more than enough.
Ended up selling the win mag, and I'm gonna sell the strike eagle and switch to Leupold most likely. I'll keep the Vortex CCO's I got, they been good, but I'm mostly done with Vortex going forward.

Depends on the use. Dedicated hunting scopes they are awesome

I use my match scopes for hunting too. I don't see any point in changing things up when I go hunting other than a lighter rifle. A heavier scope isn't going to make much difference to me.

Reactions: camocorvette
Any pictures of groups, where it was “tack driving” and then shifted?

Are the turret screws tightened?

2+ years dealing with a scope that may not hold zero or track? Most would only wait a week or two to figure out the problem. Were you shooting it much during this time?

Did you zero, then adjust the scope up/down 5+ mil in both directions to see if it would track?

I know Vortex has a reputation by some as needing warranty work, and it’s typically from the lower end stuff, but having 7+ Razors (Gen 1, 2, 3), 3 AMG’s, 4-5 PST’s of various Gens and a 5-25Venom, I’ve yet to send one back for warranty work. These have been on AR-10’s, 260/6.5’s/6creed bolt guns and a few magnums (not the Venom) with thousands of rounds fired among them.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but if they were as bad as some would have you believe, they wouldn’t still be in business with repeat customers. Odds are your replacement will be fine and this may have been an anomaly.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Any pictures of groups, where it was “tack driving” and then shifted?

Are the turret screws tightened?

2+ years dealing with a scope that may not hold zero or track? Most would only wait a week or two to figure out the problem. Were you shooting it much during this time?

Did you zero, then adjust the scope up/down 5+ mil in both directions to see if it would track?

I know Vortex has a reputation by some as needing warranty work, and it’s typically from the lower end stuff, but having 7+ Razors (Gen 1, 2, 3), 3 AMG’s, 4-5 PST’s of various Gens and a 5-25Venom, I’ve yet to send one back for warranty work. These have been on AR-10’s, 260/6.5’s/6creed bolt guns and a few magnums (not the Venom) with thousands of rounds fired among them.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but if they were as bad as some would have you believe, they wouldn’t still be in business with repeat customers. Odds are your replacement will be fine and this may have been an anomaly.
Replacement is the issue.

Great service from the folks at Vortex if you have a scope problem. The mail you a UPS return label as soon as you get off the phone. And turnaround in my case was < 2 weeks.

Except on the 300WM she wouldn't hold it for even one shot. She's a tack driver when she's sighted in, yes.
What scope have you had on the 300 wm to shoot some good groups? Pardon if I missed something.

And when you say on the 300 wm the Vortex won’t hold zero, even for one shot, what does that exactly mean? I assume you mean you can’t get a hit in the same place even if you don’t touch the scope?

For science I would’ve tried it when locking the turrets. Even if it shouldn’t matter.

And wait, you owned the 300wm last Wednesday and sold it last Thursday, after starting this thread?

I recently used their service. Painless and smooth.
I have to ask, why do folks continue to purchase the Vortex chinese made scopes, then put them on heavy recoiling rifles?
The failures in that regard are comon knowledge.
IMHO, Athlon does a better job with their Chinese made scopes, steel internals instead of brass or nylon.

if i was OP as soon as I got that vortex replaced from warranty with a new one i'd sell it and move on to another brand.

From what I have seen the core values at Vortex are based on solid moral and ethical business, and they have tried to bring some manufacturing back to the USA. Those are both things I can get behind at any company.
100% This. This is a large reason why I spend my money on Vortex. I've done a multi-day tour of their facility, spoken with a ton of people there, and left feeling good about my decisions to buy their stuff.

Back to the OP though, I recently had to send my first item back to Vortex for repair. Some cheaper Diamondback binoculars that I use as loaners to friends that don't have any. I have no clue what happened but when I got them back the two halves could be separated. I sent them in, got an email a couple days later that they received them, and am certain I'll get them back in a timely manner in perfect working condition.

Ended up selling the win mag, and I'm gonna sell the strike eagle and switch to Leupold most likely. I'll keep the Vortex CCO's I got, they been good, but I'm mostly done with Vortex going forward.
Make sure you wear a helmet, buddy of mine bought a new VX-3 and had the turret fly off and hit him in the head on the first shot.

Just stumbled across this thread and figured it was relevant to your interests.

The OP should take the replacement scope and sell it. Dont even open the package. Then buy something he can have confidence in.

Reactions: tacoman69