• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Anyone else good at positional but bomb prone stages?

702lineman

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
southern IL
Seems like I suck at prone. Todays match I only dropped a few points on the positional stages, but got into the kyl, prairie dogs, and another prone stage and just totally sucked.

I feel like my fundamentals are pretty solid, i always try to square up behind the rifle, practice 90 degree trigger control, ect. I'm sure it not perfect by any means.

Anyone else have this problem? I have had a couple of friends do the same in the past. If you have what side you figure out? I guess I just need more practice at it.

Reactions: Fat Dark Earth
Yes, I zero my rifles shooting prone.

I cant put my finger on the problem. I loaded up a bunch of ammo last night, I'm going to figure it out this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion though

in my neck of the woods the prone stages are usually much longer distances than positional. is it just a matter of poor wind calls?

what exactly are you struggling with? obviously missing the target. but because of wind? or can't spot your misses or what's the issue?

when we are prone shooting for zero/groups we are nice and comfy and have our bag/bipod perfect. sometimes on prone stages you are rushing and not completely comfy and end up needing to squeeze the rear bag a lot to get the right height - then right as the shot breaks you relax and drop the bag and cause you to miss high.

Reactions: 702lineman
in my neck of the woods the prone stages are usually much longer distances than positional. is it just a matter of poor wind calls?

what exactly are you struggling with? obviously missing the target. but because of wind? or can't spot your misses or what's the issue?

when we are prone shooting for zero/groups we are nice and comfy and have our bag/bipod perfect. sometimes on prone stages you are rushing and not completely comfy and end up needing to squeeze the rear bag a lot to get the right height - then right as the shot breaks you relax and drop the bag and cause you to miss high.

I have over thought prone stages a lot, and on positional I put the cross hairs on target and shoot.

I'm not really sure what the problem is. It may be a mental thing. Yeah the targets were a little smaller so the wind calls had to be on the money. The distances were about the same, but they were def harder stages. I have 150 ff loads to use up this weekend. I know what I'm practicing!

Reactions: Olen_4504
Had a similar issue. When positional shooting got better, prone suffered. Lack of practices caused me to start excessively loading the bipod for stability. I was also rushing to get in to the prone due to lack of practice. So I started adding the attached drill to my practice sessions. I agree that "getting off you belly" is important in dynamic shooting. Just don't forget to practice it as well.

Hope this helps

I have a fairly strong background in positional shooting like 3-position smallbore and high power and rimfire silhouette

When I started PRS type matches I also scored poorly on prone stages

An experienced shooter i was squadded with observed that I was approaching the prone stages very lazily, as in, “prone is easy let’s just get it done.....”

I spent bunch of practice time fine tuning my prone position shooting dot drills and shooting groups getting in and out of prone between shots and it cured a lot of the bad habits.

Reactions: 702lineman
I have a fairly strong background in positional shooting like 3-position smallbore and high power and rimfire silhouette

When I started PRS type matches I also scored poorly on prone stages

An experienced shooter i was squadded with observed that I was approaching the prone stages very lazily, as in, “prone is easy let’s just get it done.....”

I spent bunch of practice time fine tuning my prone position shooting dot drills and shooting groups getting in and out of prone between shots and it cured a lot of the bad habits.

Honestly I think this is my problem. Thinking back on it i dont think i really concentrated on my wind holds like i did with positional, and i dont think i was in it mentally. I was worried about what targets to hit ect. I'm not a new shooter, not a pro, but not new. I've won a club match even, but I sure haven't been shooting prone like I should be. I think it's a mental thing. Between the targets being a little smaller on the prone stages and me not concentrating enough equals a miss.

I shot the kyl again just for the hell of it at the end of the match and drilled the smallest one 3 in a row, but missed the first time. A .1 mil difference in wind hold was the difference in a hit and miss on that target. My reticle is only .5 subtentions so I really have to concentrate on how much I hold.

Thank you guys for the comments. I'm going to practice my prone more often from now on. I honestly never really practice it, because like you said, I always kinda looked at it as the easy stuff.

Last edited:
Had a similar issue. When positional shooting got better, prone suffered. Lack of practices caused me to start excessively loading the bipod for stability. I was also rushing to get in to the prone due to lack of practice. So I started adding the attached drill to my practice sessions. I agree that "getting off you belly" is important in dynamic shooting. Just don't forget to practice it as well.

Hope this helps

Thank you! This looks like a great practice drill. I'm definitely going to start using this